Canadian TLers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at getting a TL very soon

I have a few questions though:

How does the car handle in the winter with the stock all season tires?

How much a month is navi?

The big one is insurance.... I have called a few places, but they're giving me some pretty high quotes. Has anyone around the GTA area found some good rates?

I'm 22, perfect driving record, have had my full G for 3 years, and driving school. The car will also be financed.

So far the cheapest number I have got is 5700 a year.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Instructor

The one bad thing about being young. $5700 in insurance, ouch. But if you are 22 and can afford a TL, then insurance isn't your big problem :P.

I juat picked up my TL a few weeks ago. I pay $1400 (give or take $20) for my insurance through Aviva.

Can't help you on the tires as I bought the winter package for my Dynamic.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

Webster, unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to get the gentleman's card, but I'm pretty sure that he was from Acura Canada and spoke very authoritatively about the problem, its cause and eventual solution. I'm having a colleague with good contacts at Acura check for me and find out who was working the booth when I was there.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

ya, i pay around 1500 myself...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Upgrading...

Greetings to my fellow Canadians from rainy Vancouver!

I'm a proud owner of a 2004 TSX (bought it in April of 2003). While at the dealership last week waiting for my wife to get her 2003 1.7 EL back from servicing, I made the mistake of wandering over to take a look at the new 2004 TL. Dang it, I fell in love all over again!

When I bought my TSX last year my main disappointment was not being able to get a GPS navigation system in Canada. But the 2004 TL has Canuck-compatible Navigation , so... A test drive later to try things out, and my heart was set. By the way, the story I was told regarding why they didn't have the Navi system last year: apparently the developers had done a french language conversion using Parisian french, and none of our Quebecois friends could make it work...they had to start all over again with someone from Quebec

My dealer worked out a trade in offer that allows me to go from my 2004 TSX (14,000 km) to a brand new 2004 TL Navi / 5 speed auto for about $15,000. Its a bit of a shock to my wallet, but hopefully worth it in terms of bringing more smiles to my face. I have to wait for the next delivery: the dealer says March 15th is the target date. I've asked for a black on black colour, but I'm willing to take the silver or blue exterior: all the colours look pretty good, so I'll take whichever comes first.

My main question right now...I know the audio system in the TL does not include an MP3 player, nor is it availalbe as an option as it was on my TSX. Does anyone out there know of a good aftermarket MP3 player that will play nicely with my TL's Navi-equipped sound system? Ideally, it would be nice to get the ID3 tag information displayed on that big fancy monitor. I believe the TL's audio system is Panasonic with Pioneer speakers (?), but I have no idea if it has auxilary connectors compatible with anything out there.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
TIRES

I have just been reading the ratings on the Bridgstone Turanza EL42s and they are downright scary. When I test drove the car (twice) in January the car was out all night and actually frozen. I wasn't blown away by the ride but the tires did not flatspot. I just chalked the ride up to the cold.

Leaving the flatspotting issue aside, the comments on the tires wet and snow handling characteristics do not inspire confidence in the tires. I am thinking I want to dump the tires before taking delivery.

I have not been able to find a price on the EL42s in Canada. I think I saw them at TireRack in the U.S. for $165.00. I am taking delivery of my car in late March. I am thinking that I might try to exchange the tires before delivery and was wondering if anyone has done this. If so, what kind of credit did you get towards the replacement tires and what did you buy?

I leased the car from Downtown Acura in Toronto. If anyone has any suggestions about approaching the dealer on this issue I would love to hear them. Does anyone know if I would be better to deal on a particular tire with the dealer?

I wish I had read this site before I leased as I would have cut a deal on the tires then.

Additionally, Active Green and Ross has indicated that they might be willing to exchange tires (presumably for a fee) if I bring the car to them immediately upon delivery. Has anyone ever done this?

I look forward to everyone's input.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Downtown Acura wanted about $ 450.00 a tire. TerraceGate sold me one for $ 265.00 (for the EL42)
Old 02-24-2004, 06:05 PM
10th Gear

Smoore, I got some pricing on the EL-42s and replacement tires (Turanza LS-Zs) from Tire Depot in Toronto. In short, they were willing to give me $150 for each EL-42 which was half their sale price against the LS-Zs. The net changeover price would be $220 per tire plus tax installed and balanced. That was much better than the offer I got from the local Acura dealership.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Instructor

PMF13, I see your profiule lists you from Thornhill. Check out Steelcase Tire, talk to Jim (antoher Thorhill SS alumni). He has the best prices I have found and knows everything there is to know about tires.

If you haven't already purchased, give them a shout, they are on Steelcase, just south of John.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 PM
3rd Gear

Hi all,

I'm currently in the Ottawa area and my buddy and I are planning on buying two 04 TL 6MT's. We're willing to drive to the GTA to get the best price. Can anyone recommend some good dealerships to contact? Has anyone been able to get any good deals on their TL's? By good deal I mean more than 2K off the MSRP.

thanks
Old 02-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Instructor

ss
Old 02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Tires-PMF13

Thanks for the info. I called Tire Depot today and it looks like you are the only one who is going to get any trade in on the Bridgestones. The very politely told me that the TL is the only car taking this size of tire and they are not prepared to pay any trade in on any other tires. They simply didn't think that they would be able to move another set of 4 tires in a reasonable period of time.

Active Green and Ross is still considering what they will offer me on the tires.

Downtown Acura is not prepared to give me anything on a trade. I found that funny as they wanted to charge Paddiwakk $450 for a new EL42.

I am going to wait and see what Active Green and Ross offers. If it is a pittance, then I think I will drive the car until next November on the EL42s, take them off and put on new tires then. I will store the EL42s and put them back on just before my lease is up.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 PM
10th Gear

truongkc,

I don't have a dealership to recommend, but I have been working through a broker that is offering better prices than any dealer I've spoken with. I don't know what kind of discounts he can get on the 6MT as that's not what I'm looking for. He's probably worth speaking with to see what he can offer. Send me an email and I'll be glad to send you his contact details.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro

Have any of us Canadians had their tires replaced by their Acura dealerships yet? Seems like some of our friends in the US are just starting to get there's replaced. My dealership is telling me that what I feel is normal for the car I don't agree. What are you guys being told.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the tire issue for all TL's or just the low vin ones?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:15 PM
10th Gear

DC5_Integra, I think the problem affects all 04 TLs as Acura hasn't rolled out a fix yet.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Any other Cnadian TL owners experience vibration probs with the Blizzak LM22's at about 84kph? I have been having consistant vibration problems with these tires until they warm up and work the flat spots out.

Anyone else with similar probs?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
10th Gear

I would love to find out about this EL42 problem....if only I had my car. I ordered a TL (5AT) back in January, for a March 3-4 delivery. Dealership said no problem, and to top it off, I finished off the paper work and payment a week early. Then I find out my car is sitting around in a lot in Calgary, the night I go to pick up the car at the dealership in Edmonton. I'm mildly annoyed here as the dealership has deposited my cheque, but no TL. They keep saying it should arrive anyday, but I'm still anxious for my new baby. At least they gave me a TSX to drive around in until the TL arrives, which probably prevented me from getting angry. Anybody ever have this problem with a dealership or is it just me, or is it common?
Old 03-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Racer

Originally posted by albertanf1
I would love to find out about this EL42 problem....if only I had my car. I ordered a TL (5AT) back in January, for a March 3-4 delivery. Dealership said no problem, and to top it off, I finished off the paper work and payment a week early. Then I find out my car is sitting around in a lot in Calgary, the night I go to pick up the car at the dealership in Edmonton. I'm mildly annoyed here as the dealership has deposited my cheque, but no TL. They keep saying it should arrive anyday, but I'm still anxious for my new baby. At least they gave me a TSX to drive around in until the TL arrives, which probably prevented me from getting angry. Anybody ever have this problem with a dealership or is it just me, or is it common?
i had a somewhat similar experience
went to burrard acura and put down a deposit for a 04 TL black/navi they said it would arrive in March?!! and note this visit to the burrard acura was in mid January...well we put the deposit down. Time went by visited the this forum and became more and more anxious to get the car...so i decided to give the other two acura dealerships a call...what do you know they have the same combination im lookin for in stock or agreed to get it in a couple of weeks if i ordered it....so i decided to neogiate with richmond acura and told them my situation with burrard acura...they told me to get the deposit back and agreed to give me a better deal. So i took their word and got my deposit back from burrard.
Went to Richmond acura the next day...they agreed to take off $1000 off the MSRP right away, which was nice.
With burrard out of the way we worked out a deal with them for the same TL burrard was goin to get us in MARCH!!!
and richmond acura had TWO on their lot and gave us the choice to choose whichever one we wanted.
The final deal came out to $1500 off MSRP free all season mats, locks, and mudflaps(didnt install them) which was pretty fair IMO considering burrard didnt offer ANYTHING off the MSRP

i would suggust you call other places or ask your dealership to try to get the car from another dealer (trade)
Old 03-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Racer

Originally posted by DC5_Integra
Is the tire issue for all TL's or just the low vin ones?
i dont think we get the vibration problem since it doesnt get cold enough here
i havent experienced it
have you?
Old 03-06-2004, 11:00 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by ravi
i had a somewhat similar experience
went to burrard acura and put down a deposit for a 04 TL black/navi they said it would arrive in March?!! and note this visit to the burrard acura was in mid January...well we put the deposit down. Time went by visited the this forum and became more and more anxious to get the car...so i decided to give the other two acura dealerships a call...what do you know they have the same combination im lookin for in stock or agreed to get it in a couple of weeks if i ordered it....so i decided to neogiate with richmond acura and told them my situation with burrard acura...they told me to get the deposit back and agreed to give me a better deal. So i took their word and got my deposit back from burrard.
Went to Richmond acura the next day...they agreed to take off $1000 off the MSRP right away, which was nice.
With burrard out of the way we worked out a deal with them for the same TL burrard was goin to get us in MARCH!!!
and richmond acura had TWO on their lot and gave us the choice to choose whichever one we wanted.
The final deal came out to $1500 off MSRP free all season mats, locks, and mudflaps(didnt install them) which was pretty fair IMO considering burrard didnt offer ANYTHING off the MSRP

i would suggust you call other places or ask your dealership to try to get the car from another dealer (trade)
Ravi,

I went to Burrard as well and they said the car is selling really well and they cannot give any $$ off the sticker price. So I went to many different dealer to shop around for the best deal. So i finally found one and they gave me a decent deal. But now I know you got $1500 off the sticker then I really got jipped off. I worked it out w/my trade in and I probably got around $800 off the sticker price. But dam you got a really awesome deal plus some throw ins as well. So who did u deal with b/c my buddy liked my car so much that he is planning to trade in his Audi and I was thinking I got a pretty good deal. BUt dam....I think I should tell him to goto Richmond Acura then. I would appreciate if you can tell me who the sales rep is so I can ask for him. And did you trade in your car. Thx dude!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Racer

^
i dealt with Gurp and Tinny from richmond acura. Both are nice dudes.

no i didnt trade in my car for it. It was bought without any trades. That might be way you only got 800 off ?
which acura dealer did you deal with?

i wasnt happy with burrard at all. Sales dude told me they would take something off the price from the PDI but never did.

i was impressed with richmond acuras service. Both the sales persons were willing to neogiate and offer 1000 off the price before asking them for a better deal.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Cruisin'

Who did you guys originally deal with at Burrard? I dealt with Ralph and he seemed pretty good and I got a decent deal I think ($1100 off for a ssm 5at/navi) but I do have to wait till the end of the month which is the sh***y part.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Racer

WAAAAAAAATT
i was dealing with ralph too...nice guy but he wasnt giving anything off the MSRP

but then again he said there were two sales managers...one of them usually gives deals while the other doesnt
sooif that is the case you might have ended up with the better manager
Old 03-07-2004, 04:43 AM
Cruisin'

Oh really...I didn't go to Richmond because I had a bad experience a few years ago (not the same guys you talked about). I did go to Lougheed and they were only willing to give $500 off but include the protection package (which I got at Burrard less the mud guards). Ravi did you add any other factory options on it eg BSM?
Old 03-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Racer

nope
BSm takes away the smoothness of the car IMO
but i heard it protects against door dings tho...so i guess it serves a good purpose

$1500 off msrp..free mud flaps which i didnt install...again i think it takes the smoothness away from the car, free wheel locks, and free all season floor mats
then the usual first 2 services free

they offered the protection package but i passed on that....reading over the forum convinced me that the protection package is not worth it.

so yea thats basically what i got oh and of course when they bought it out all washed and spot less.....priceless feeling
Old 03-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

Need referral for rims in Ontario

I am soon to be a new 04TL owner and live in Barrie, Ont. I am wondering if anybody can recommend a good dealer for rims. I am likely to buy them and get the dealership to put Yokohama tires on them and swap the factory tires for snow tires.

I know very little about tires, rims, and sizing etc. I would like to get some sporty looking chrome rims like those on the ACURA-TL.COM home page photo.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

CrazyNuts.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Re: Need referral for rims in Ontario

Originally posted by CrazyNuts
I am soon to be a new 04TL owner and live in Barrie, Ont. I am wondering if anybody can recommend a good dealer for rims. I am likely to buy them and get the dealership to put Yokohama tires on them and swap the factory tires for snow tires.

I know very little about tires, rims, and sizing etc. I would like to get some sporty looking chrome rims like those on the ACURA-TL.COM home page photo.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

CrazyNuts.

There's a thread here(on this first page) that talks about aftermarket wheels for the new TL. There's quite a few pics in it as well, showing how they look on the TL.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72708

You can also try www.tirerack.com - just go to the wheels section, pick the 04TL, and there's a side shot of the TL, and you can pick what wheels you like on the car.
*note* If you're planning on getting the Dynamic Pkg(6spd manual, no nav), I believe your selection will be limited, due to the Brembo brakes.

Also, try asking some questions in the Tire & Wheel Section of the forum. Chances are they'd be able to help you better understand what to look for regarding size, offset, etc.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Are the sales going down drastically? I have noticed in Hamilton 5 to 6 TL's sitting on the lot (take your pick of color) for the last two weeks.....just an observation.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

I don't think sales are going down here. I was just at the Barrie dealer today looking at the upgraded performance rims for the TL and a sales person told me they've sold all the TL's they are able to order for the next 3 months.

I am still not sure whether to go with the upgraded rims from the dealer or an aftermarket set. If I buy aftermarket, should they be 7.5 or 8's for an 18" rim?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Drifting

I HATE YOU BERTUZZI!!!

sorry for the OT post, but i figured this was the best thread to put it in that is all. back to the TLs!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:11 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^
i dealt with Gurp and Tinny from richmond acura. Both are nice dudes.

no i didnt trade in my car for it. It was bought without any trades. That might be way you only got 800 off ?
which acura dealer did you deal with?

i wasnt happy with burrard at all. Sales dude told me they would take something off the price from the PDI but never did.

i was impressed with richmond acuras service. Both the sales persons were willing to neogiate and offer 1000 off the price before asking them for a better deal.

yea go with richmond acura, ive had friends buy cars from them and they were happy with the service, but from what i heard burrard has a bigger selection of cars then any other acura dealer, which is such BS cuz they dont got **** on their lots.
dont goto burrard they'll just give you the same treatment...richmond acura or lougheed...and im sure they'll have it on the lot
Ravi,

Thanks for the info dude and I will bring along my friend there once he is ready to make a deal w/his Audi. I think most of the ppl at Burrard thinks they are Hot Shots since they are situated w/all the high end cars on Burrard Street. So any ppl looking for a TL in Vancouver BC "DON'T GO TO BURRARD ACURA"!!!! I dealt mines thru Lougheed Acura which had way better service there.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Instructor

The TLs on the lot in Hamilton are all non Navi models - far as I can tell they were always easier to get. They told me the wait time is still at least a month
Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Originally posted by 5Zigen
Who did you guys originally deal with at Burrard? I dealt with Ralph and he seemed pretty good and I got a decent deal I think ($1100 off for a ssm 5at/navi) but I do have to wait till the end of the month which is the sh***y part.
1100 off ssm/5at/navi is a good deal...
i purchased mine at full price..
Old 03-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

i dont think we get the vibration problem since it doesnt get cold enough here
i havent experienced it
have you?
nope i dont notice it either.. I've driven the TL up to 110 kph.. and nothing has happened...
So happy i passed the break in period
Old 03-12-2004, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

hi new to the forum and acura....

I live in southern ontario (windsor) which does not have an acura dealer... is there anybody in the london or TO area that could recomend a decent dealer...

and if you don't mind me asking what are the new TL going for...list is around 40-42k... are there any deals to be had....

I know I'm getting ahead of my self but when do the 05 arrive

thanks for the info
Old 03-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

hi new to the forum and acura....
CrazyCanuck,

I just ordered my 04TL from Barrie Acura. It might be a tad far for you to drive, but I am sure you could place the order over the phone if you wanted. This is a new dealership and they seem very friendly, honest, and reasonable. Regardless, the TL does seem to just sell itself. I ordered the NAVI package and with all of the wonderful taxes and PDI etc. that one has to pay, my bottom line was just over $50k. It adds up quick. They did knock a bit off of the S.R.P., but realistically, they don't need to give any discount because these cars are high in demand. Apparently they are sold out of TL's for the next three months now.

CrazyNuts.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Talking Just got mine and am thrilled!!!

Picked up my Anthracite Dynamic yesterday afternoon and it's like Christmas day!

Also picked up the winter mats and the Blizzak LM-22 Winter Tire and Rim package - you simply cannot go wrong for $1,790!

Got it from Woodbine and the experience was great - this was the first Anthracite that they've delivered and everyone was very complimentary of the color. I had great service with Sam and would highly recommend talking to him if you're in the market in the GTA.

So far so good - just getting used to the clutch but none of the problems as yet that others have seen.

Haven't tried the memory seats but the Potenzas are great so far and none of the flat-spotting (but I don't think the car has sat long enough - having too much fun! ).

Off to do a little more break-in!

Thanks to everyone on acura-tl - great tips and advice!
Old 03-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Cruisin'

I hope a Canadian edition can become a reality as I find this type of forum is very useful.

2002 TL Black Pearl OEM Spoiler Wing West Body Kit
Old 03-27-2004, 02:37 PM
TL hacker

Got my Silver/Ebony 5AT navi for $41,000 on Thursday. Go it from Acura 2000 in Brampton, ON. Use carcostcanada.com, it saved me $3000 !!!!!!!

Been too busy driving my new TL to post here. lol!

Quick Reply: Canadian TLers