Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Pix from Infected Mushroom (srika's club pics thread)

Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,959 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
i was just wondering if that was with your new camera.

i know that even with a 2000 dollar camera or so you can take crummy pictures. i was just wondering if you purposely made it with that soft focus or didnt realize it
oh ok. what are you doing on AZ anyway. go play your PS3. you bastard.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by waTSX
It almost looks to me like the point of focus is the girls hair in the foreground, hence the girl in the middle is a victim of DoF. I believe I read somewhere that FF cameras like the 5D have shallower DoF than do APS equipped cameras like the 30D.

So if you were shooting a 24-70 2.8 lens wide open, depth of field could be a little touchy in that situation. Might take a little while to adjust to the new cameras characteristics.

If I've got this wrong, somebody else should feel free to chime in.
You are exactly right, that's exactly what's happening. And yes, I have to get used to it. And, I got the 24-105 f/4 - so I'm not even at 2.8 - most of these are between 4-5.6. I have been reading around and there are definitely other people wondering about the 5D's DOF - basically they are saying to increase it, you have to close the aperture. So I will be testing that out tonight. I wanted to get the 2.8 but I figured I would start out with a more general lens so I could use it for more things - and get that later on. Also I want to get the 50mm 1.4, people seem to love that. But after seeing this DOF issue, I dunno if I'll do that.

This cam is HEAVY. I just weighed it - it comes in at 6 lbs. If people say this is much lighter than the 1D series, gdamn... those must be insanely heavy. Hand-carrying this around for 6 hours wasn't easy. I do have the battery grip and 580 flash, and the lens weighs about 1.5 lbs. Later on in the night, I was propping it up on my shoulder when walking around. And I'm hurting today. Maybe I'm just out of shape lol.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 50 1.4 and it is very sharp. Should be a great focal length for the 5D; it's a tad long on the 20D, but still good outdoors. At 1.4, the DoF is paper thin. Stop it down a bit and it's razor sharp.

I would think your 24-105 would be an excellent lens for your 5D. IS equipped and a nice wide end.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I hear you. Great thing about that 50mm is its price - I will probably get one anyway, just to have it. And maybe I'll like it, too. Also, I could not imagine shooting at 1.4 on this thing, what those pics would look like. But I think I saw some pics with the 5D at 1.4 somewhere, and they did look good.

Also on the above out-of-focus pic, I should mention I did something I pretty much never do as far as PP is concerned, I actually blurred the background more than it was, just to make the girls stand out even more. You can kinda see the feathering of the selection outline on the left. Also the blur is not very good because of this, kinda pixelated. I need to do a Gaussian next time.

Yes I am liking the 24-105, just have to figure out this DOF thing. The 5D has a DOF preview that seems helpful, but in the field theres not much time to check those things. I like it cuz when you hit it the flash microstrobes for a few moments, its kinda cool, everything is just lit up and it turns heads
Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

remember this is my first event with the cam, gimme some slack!!! I do have some learning to do with this thing. I usually apply +1 or +2 sharpening, either High pass, basic, or Unsharpen Mask - I try to go easy on it, I really do. You can see the beautiful bokeh (a word I learned only recently) this cam/lens produces on the mixer pic. No need for Noise Ninja anymore - which I had stopped using recently anyway.

http://www.delobbo.com/gallery2/v/112306_spybar/

what do you think about this pic - it looks gritty, but in some way I think that makes it look good

I rarely post pix of myself but Ill make an exception this time

Old 11-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

didnt have trouble with DOF in this pic... from Crobar last nite.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts

I really liked this one... dunno why... I think it's the contrast of colors in the background and foreground. If the ppl in the background would have been dancing/moving more so there was more blur it would have been even better.

btw, what was going on at crobar? I hear that club is pretty much crap now?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by srika

Nah, you pretty much nailed it with that one Nice collection of hotties there.

All the 5D pics you've posted look really good. The only thing I can see in some is color cast, but that's the club lights not the cam, and, really, it adds to the effect.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Have camera, will travel

what do you think about this pic - it looks gritty, but in some way I think that makes it look good
This is a really nice, natural looking portrait. Looks like they're having a good time.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by einsatz
I really liked this one... dunno why... I think it's the contrast of colors in the background and foreground. If the ppl in the background would have been dancing/moving more so there was more blur it would have been even better.

btw, what was going on at crobar? I hear that club is pretty much crap now?
cool - another thing, purple and yellow are complimentary colors (one of my fav combinations, btw) - I think that could have been a factor! It's funny you mention about that pic, I have so much trouble getting the mixer and the DJ in focus on those shots. This is in fact one of very very few that have come out without motion on the DJ's hands.

Crobar is a lot different. More "glam", whatever that means. Even this past time I was there, I remember telling a friend, I wish I could go back and enjoy one night at the old Crobar. It was so raw and industrial-feeling. Had some of my best clubbing nights there back in the day.. the music was ALWAYS good and its the kind of music where you totally forget where you are and dont care if anyone is watching you dance out of your f'ing mind. Crazy. Psycho Bitch & Teri Bristol ftw. It will never be the same again, that's for sure. Oh well. They still get the hotties though and that ain't a bad thing. :P
Old 11-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Just got back from Scooter @ Congress Theatre - its a show I would have never gone to on my own, I only went cuz they assigned it.

Glad I did though, got some great shots. Here's a teaser.

Next up is Sasha @ Vision, yeah guess what I'll be doing all day Sunday - sorting, processing, and uploading 3 events worth of pix. Not complaining but damn, it's a lotta work.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Just got back from Scooter @ Congress Theatre - its a show I would have never gone to on my own, I only went cuz they assigned it.

Glad I did though, got some great shots. Here's a teaser.

Next up is Sasha @ Vision, yeah guess what I'll be doing all day Sunday - sorting, processing, and uploading 3 events worth of pix. Not complaining but damn, it's a lotta work.
omg sasha, damn i need to goto chicago

ohh and

and again, shouldve just focused on her massive boobs
Old 11-26-2006, 05:21 AM

that girl in the black really looks like someone that went to my highschool but i cant quite remember her name..
Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Senior Moderator

and again, shouldve just focused on her massive boobs
which girl's?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:26 AM

how was sasha? that was tonight right?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator

how was sasha? that was tonight right?
Yea it was tonight... it was alright. Nothing that wow'ed me. :< He uses Ableton Live with an $8k custom Maven controller, which he might as well have left at home - I couldn't even tell what he was doing with it, if anything. Most DJ's that use Ableton intensively, you can tell what they are doing, at least you can hear what they are throwing in, but it just wasn't the case with Sasha. He was never really one of my fav's, anyway. I like Digweed better, he f'ing jammed the house when he was at Crobar earlier this year.

Another teaser from Scooter - who by the way was the highlight of my night! They rocked! And I really liked their dancers

Old 11-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Nah, you pretty much nailed it with that one Nice collection of hotties there.

All the 5D pics you've posted look really good. The only thing I can see in some is color cast, but that's the club lights not the cam, and, really, it adds to the effect.
hehe.. I have more of her too.

I personally like - and seek out - the colors in the shots.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
that girl in the black really looks like someone that went to my highschool but i cant quite remember her name..
Girl in black?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Senior Moderator

One thing im still getting used to is the area of the viewfinder. I have to really look in there to see everything - my glasses dont help. :< More often than I would like to, I could have zoomed in just a tad more and used more of the frame.. but doing that does sometimes frame the shot well. I could crop it out - and I was doing that before - but it was taking too long. I have to keep the pic to a certain aspect ratio so its not a matter of just selecting and cropping. I would rather try to frame the shot well on the camera, than have to crop.

Hope this isnt NWS, lol.

http://www.delobbo.com/gallery2/v/11...ngresstheater/

Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could crop it out - and I was doing that before - but it was taking too long. I have to keep the pic to a certain aspect ratio so its not a matter of just selecting and cropping. I would rather try to frame the shot well on the camera, than have to crop.
Why do you have to keep the images in a specific aspect ratio? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nice dancers, BTW.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Yea it was tonight... it was alright. Nothing that wow'ed me. :< He uses Ableton Live with an $8k custom Maven controller, which he might as well have left at home - I couldn't even tell what he was doing with it, if anything. Most DJ's that use Ableton intensively, you can tell what they are doing, at least you can hear what they are throwing in, but it just wasn't the case with Sasha. He was never really one of my fav's, anyway. I like Digweed better, he f'ing jammed the house when he was at Crobar earlier this year.

Another teaser from Scooter - who by the way was the highlight of my night! They rocked! And I really liked their dancers
I take back what I said, partly. Sasha was amazing. He just got off to a slow start - but later on (past 3am or so) he really started bringing the grooves in, and it was an amazing rest of the set. He ended at 4:45, and the energy up until that end was incredible. Another reason my "afterwards" impression has changed is because I did some reading about how he uses his setup and therefore got to understand it better, and it explained a lot of questions I had.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
Why do you have to keep the images in a specific aspect ratio? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nice dancers, BTW.
That's just how they put em up on the site. I would imagine its in the interest of efficiency, but it could also be consistency? Something like that. They want all images to be submitted as 1800x1200 or 1200x1800.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Have camera, will travel

Nice shots. Based on all the hotties I've seen in the last few pages, I may have to start hanging out at some of these clubs

As far as cropping goes, you can constrain the proportions in PS to maintain a specific aspect ratio. I assume you want to do so for printing purposes. Plus with the 12 MP, you have quite a bit of cropping leeway.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice shots. Based on all the hotties I've seen in the last few pages, I may have to start hanging out at some of these clubs

As far as cropping goes, you can constrain the proportions in PS to maintain a specific aspect ratio. I assume you want to do so for printing purposes. Plus with the 12 MP, you have quite a bit of cropping leeway.
hah.. you should!

guess I need to learn how to do that... I think I could select all, then resize the selection and tell it to maintain the aspect ratio...

Last edited by srika; 11-27-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Judge Jules @ Crobar - lots of eye candy in here..

http://www.delobbo.com/gallery2/v/11...ejules_crobar/

Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Sasha @ Vision

http://www.delobbo.com/gallery2/v/112506_sasha_vision/

Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Have camera, will travel

hah.. you should!

guess I need to learn how to do that... I think I could select all, then resize the selection and tell it to maintain the aspect ratio...
Srika, I don't know which image editor you're running. I use Elements 4, and when you select the crop tool, there's a drop-down menu on the tool bar that lets you select "no restriction" (free crop essentially; no constraints) various traditional picture sizes (8x10, etc.) and also a selection for using the aspect ratio the picture was shot in.

I would assume full PS or most other IE's would be similar. Elements is modeled pretty closely after PS as far as the user interface is concerned.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Judge Jules @ Crobar - lots of eye candy in here..
where were you hidin? I didnt see you there.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Srika, I don't know which image editor you're running. I use Elements 4, and when you select the crop tool, there's a drop-down menu on the tool bar that lets you select "no restriction" (free crop essentially; no constraints) various traditional picture sizes (8x10, etc.) and also a selection for using the aspect ratio the picture was shot in.

I would assume full PS or most other IE's would be similar. Elements is modeled pretty closely after PS as far as the user interface is concerned.
I use Paint Shop Pro XI mainly.. but I just checked PS7 and I do see the aspect ratio selection option in there. Good to know!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
where were you hidin? I didnt see you there.
I was in the back corner. All night.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Above n Beyond

too many weird fuckin people for me that night. I bolted out of there early. Everytime someone brings in a Pure Nation event, the whole club turns into some freak of nature atmosphere. Lots of european and asians go to those events. Kind of brings down the tempo of the surreal crowd and other regular groups.

Oh well, back on topic.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
the whole club turns into some freak of nature atmosphere. Lots of european and asians go to those events. Kind of brings down the tempo of the surreal crowd and other regular groups.
whatever that means...
Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Above n Beyond

it means, it kills the surreal events.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

ok..
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

PSPIX has a great crop tool that cover all aspect ratios.. always wondered what that cropping tool was for.. I always did it using selections.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Have camera, will travel

^^
That should make life easier for you I hear that's a good program, and a heck of a lot cheaper than PS. Hell, anything is cheaper than PS
Old 12-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ hah.. no kidding.

it was a nice Friday night. :P

Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^ hah.. no kidding.

Holy smokes! One gen-you-wine hottie in her natural habitat

You know you have a great gig, right?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^^ hah.. no kidding.

Holy bejesus, she's friggin' hot.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Holy smokes! One gen-you-wine hottie in her natural habitat

You know you have a great gig, right?
yea I'm kinda liking it! :P

btw I asked her if she did any modeling, she said - I asked her whether she wanted to try sometime, she said

you don't mind if I repost, do you? :P

Im trying to figure out who she looks like... cant put my finger on it..

Quick Reply: Pix from Infected Mushroom (srika's club pics thread)