Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

C&P Random Thread -

Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I'll tell you people on POTN have more money than effing brains.

How can you buy a BRAND new camera body and then bitch that another's company software won't open the RAW files.

Do we have to wait for Adobe to update their software? :BOOMbulletintoTHEIRhead:
Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Wait so it can work on a fx camera? how usuable is it then when in cropped mode?
and is it only problems with canon that a ff/fx lens fitted on a cropped body might hit the mirror or does nikon have it too?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
btw thanks, I've always liked tires - almost my whole life.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
nnInn

There are limits, from what I've read you can get good images from 13 or 14-16mm w/o a filter or lens hood.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 129 Posts
so I guess my father-in-law is sending me 2 different kinds of umbrellas, strobes, stands, a bunch of graduated ND filters, some other flash units, and a bunch of other stuff down to me next week. I have no clue on the brand and other stuff, but hey, it's free and I can practice with it!

Too bad he didn't shoot canon back when he was really into it so he could send me lenses. He only has leica film bodies and a bunch of leica lenses, and I know he won't send me that stuff.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo

How can you buy a BRAND new camera body and then bitch that another's company software won't open the RAW files.

Do we have to wait for Adobe to update their software? :BOOMbulletintoTHEIRhead:
They're also surprised that Adobe won't update CS3. I certainly wouldn't expect them to.

Originally Posted by SaaBaaDoo
so I guess my father-in-law is sending me 2 different kinds of umbrellas, strobes, stands, a bunch of graduated ND filters, some other flash units, and a bunch of other stuff down to me next week. I have no clue on the brand and other stuff, but hey, it's free and I can practice with it!

Too bad he didn't shoot canon back when he was really into it so he could send me lenses. He only has leica film bodies and a bunch of leica lenses, and I know he won't send me that stuff.
That's awesome! I have no lighting equipment at ALL. Just a measly little flash...
Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM
CL9 ABP

Hey that stuff sounds good =) i got a foldable octobox from alienbee and made my flash mount for it pretty sweet soft light now =)
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Earth-bound misfit

omg, it must be FRIDAY!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will we ever see mainstream DSLRs abandoning proprietary RAW and writing DNGs? Seems like it's starting to catch on in the high end of the p&s market. There's probably some Adobe licensing terms that would cost the manufacturers, but I have to think this would be more than offset by the cost savings from reduced software development.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Billiam
Will we ever see mainstream DSLRs abandoning proprietary RAW and writing DNGs? Seems like it's starting to catch on in the high end of the p&s market. There's probably some Adobe licensing terms that would cost the manufacturers, but I have to think this would be more than offset by the cost savings from reduced software development.
It's true. Although right now, it's one of the main reasons Adobe has to get us to upgrade. It was explained to me also, that because it's open source, it's easier for 3rd parties to modify things like EXIF, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm honestly pretty uneducated about the whole thing, though, and am trying to catch up a bit.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
nnInn

Adobe doesn't want fees, they want to be able to put out software that doesn't need to be worked on for every camera body release.

I don't think we'll ever see Nikon and Canon succumb to DNG, it would allow many to see their little secrets.

From everything I've read about Nikon the RAW images are the best when open and used in Nikon Capture NX2. But you have to pay for it. And Canon's DPP is very clunky.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wndrlst
omg, it must be FRIDAY!
someone had just posted this on another board.. .when I posted it here I was like damn sweet now I can post random pictars up in this biatch. But what's crazy is whatwith the Denny's mention on page 1 this is actually *relevant*!!! oh, the order of chaos, I <3 it.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Lol. Dennys.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Adobe doesn't want fees, they want to be able to put out software that doesn't need to be worked on for every camera body release.

I don't think we'll ever see Nikon and Canon succumb to DNG, it would allow many to see their little secrets.

From everything I've read about Nikon the RAW images are the best when open and used in Nikon Capture NX2. But you have to pay for it. And Canon's DPP is very clunky.
I'm not talking about their dot upgrades in between the biggies, I'm talking about the biggies..CS3 to CS4, etc. If you think they don't want to sell those upgrades, tell that to their developers. When I wrote my friend (Adobe software developer) to ask him a few things about converting to DNG's vs. having to use DPP (hate it) vs. upgrading to CS4, he put my question out to his colleagues. One of which got pretty uptight about the "morality" of anyone looking for an escape from a $200 upgrade after spending "thousands" on new hardware. The want to sell it.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:45 PM
nnInn

I know they want to sell their software, but if they get the camera companies to switch to DNG, most won't have a reason to switch to the upgraded versions. It is Adobe who is trying to get the camera makers to use their DNG.

I feel the same way that the uptight guy got, thousands for hardware and then get made that your choice of software makes you upgrade to the newer software when they stopped supporting the one you bought.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Well sure, and I'm not mad about it, and don't expect an update to anything but the most recent version. I just believe in making informed decisions. I didn't know anything about DNG's or how they behave in ACR, so I wrote to my friend to ask. If they behave exactly like RAW files, take up less room and are the second coming everyone wants you to believe, then woohoo, no REASON to upgrade. I'm very happy with CS3. However, the gurus advised to archive both the RAW and the DNG (contrary to what some photog pros out there are saying). If that's the case, I find it cumbersome, and intend to just upgrade. Informed decision.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 PM
nnInn

yes.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Another reason that the camera companies may be hesitant to switch away from proprietary RAW formats is that they can use them to cover up slight flaws or imperfections that may be inherent to their systems.

Say the new sensor/engine combination you come out with consistently outputs images with a green tint when the software white balance is set to match the camera setting. No problem, just shift all the colors away from green as part of the processing for that RAW format. That's sort of an oversimplified example but you get the idea.

BTW- I've seen this first hand with the Panasonic LX-3. If you used Panasonic's RAW converter, your images showed very little-to-zero optical distortion. If, however, you used one of the 3rd party RAW converters that rolled their own conversion routines, you could see visible barrel distortion in the the same images. The distortion was being processed out as part of Panasonic's own RAW conversion routines.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

damn. it's almost like a printer driver... or any other driver..
Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Billiam
Another reason that the camera companies may be hesitant to switch away from proprietary RAW formats is that they can use them to cover up slight flaws or imperfections that may be inherent to their systems.

Say the new sensor/engine combination you come out with consistently outputs images with a green tint when the software white balance is set to match the camera setting. No problem, just shift all the colors away from green as part of the processing for that RAW format. That's sort of an oversimplified example but you get the idea.

BTW- I've seen this first hand with the Panasonic LX-3. If you used Panasonic's RAW converter, your images showed very little-to-zero optical distortion. If, however, you used one of the 3rd party RAW converters that rolled their own conversion routines, you could see visible barrel distortion in the the same images. The distortion was being processed out as part of Panasonic's own RAW conversion routines.
That makes a ton of sense.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wndrlst
:breathesonnailsbeforebuffingthemonshirt: I do what I can.
I was like "buffing the mon shirt"? wtf does that mean.. and then I was like, "OH"..
Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

just found (and added) Brooke Burke on Twitter.... my day is complete.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 PM
nnInn

Is her user name "smooth belly to heaven"?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Is her user name "smooth belly to heaven"?

it's 'brookeburke'. I just happened to come across it on someone else's twitter. There are so many ppl on twitter you can't possibly (I can't) have the patience to look everyone up. So most of the time (since I kinda started looking/using it again) I see the names on someone else and then I add em.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

http://twitter.com/brookeburke
Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Current Trends in Photography

http://www.petapixel.com/2009/10/02/...n-photography/
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Hey Srika - kind of off topic, but I got grandfathered into the oddness with my Denny's comment.. lol

I posted this elsewhere, and want to see what you guys think...

"So my title should read "Don't feed the.... WTF?" But instead the forum has decided what I really wanted to say is "Do't fd th...WTF?"

Anyone else have this issue? It just deletes random letters when I try to change my title to anything. Dang it."

Any ideas? Happens to E's and N's for sure - I haven't exactly gone through the whole alphabet to check the rest.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was shooting a wedding reception last weekend and my 580EX2 overheated! I've never had that happen before, but of course it happened right before the first dance so I had to make a mad dash across the hall to get my 430EX. Luckily I got there right before the moment, but it's something I'll watch out for at future events.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
CL9 ABP

Dang how much were you shooting when it overheated?
did it just beep or not fire?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I am lacking motivation and subjects to shoot... It has something to do with available time, but I find myself in the basement looking at my gear but don't bother to do anything about it...

When I do get the camera out I simply take snapshots...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
Dang how much were you shooting when it overheated?
did it just beep or not fire?
The bride had me shooting take a ton of shots at the tables just a minute before the dance. Being that it was a dim hall (aren't they all?), I had the flash dialed up to 1/2 power and bounced off the ceiling, so that certainly didn't help.

The flash completely turned off at first, then when I switched it on, the pilot light never came on, even with a fresh set of batteries. I shot with the 430 for about 10 minutes and when I went back to check on the 580, it was working fine.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by JLatimer
I am lacking motivation and subjects to shoot... It has something to do with available time, but I find myself in the basement looking at my gear but don't bother to do anything about it...

When I do get the camera out I simply take snapshots...
Luckily the fall colours are coming out, so do some searching for a park you haven't been to in your area. SS and I found a really cool park about 30 minutes north of our place that we had never heard of before, but once we got there we fell in love with it.

Try going to http://www.flickr.com/map/ and browse some photos of places in your area for inspiration!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Luckily the fall colours are coming out, so do some searching for a park you haven't been to in your area. SS and I found a really cool park about 30 minutes north of our place that we had never heard of before, but once we got there we fell in love with it.

Try going to http://www.flickr.com/map/ and browse some photos of places in your area for inspiration!
Good ideas. I just need the rain to stop
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 PM
CL9 ABP

Try finding a photo buddy too shooting alone isn't quite that exciting if you bring a pal even someone who doesnt mind joining you for the adventure it could be a blast =P
Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Hey Srika - kind of off topic, but I got grandfathered into the oddness with my Denny's comment.. lol

I posted this elsewhere, and want to see what you guys think...

"So my title should read "Don't feed the.... WTF?" But instead the forum has decided what I really wanted to say is "Do't fd th...WTF?"

Anyone else have this issue? It just deletes random letters when I try to change my title to anything. Dang it."

Any ideas? Happens to E's and N's for sure - I haven't exactly gone through the whole alphabet to check the rest.
so to clarify... I look at your title now and its all farkled... are you unable to change it? I haven't heard of this happening for anyone else.. have you tried basic stuff like deleting cookies clearing temp files, logout of AZ, rebooting etc. etc and try setting it again?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by srika
so to clarify... I look at your title now and its all farkled... are you unable to change it? I haven't heard of this happening for anyone else.. have you tried basic stuff like deleting cookies clearing temp files, logout of AZ, rebooting etc. etc and try setting it again?
Yea - done all that. Looks like it's a known issue (with an unknown fix) - my other thread got moved, and there are tons of people having the problem. My new title should be the complete alphabet - the letters that are missing were not on purpose.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

just saw thread in Ramblings.. umm.. I'm guessing someone is looking into it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Is there any way to hide tags in flickr?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

damn nice pic.

http://gizmodo.com/5372241/this-insa...-a-camera-lens

Quick Reply: C&P Random Thread -