Tint Ticket Options

Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Tint Ticket Options

Well, after 20 years of heavy tint, I got written up (LAPD). Sucks as the average summer temp in my area is 90 degrees.
What are my options? Can I just go to the station & pay a fine? I'm willing to pay for the privilege of keeping the tint. Don't have time to play the remove/reapply game. There is nothing on the ticket or letter but to pay a $25 fee. No # to call.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
What you got is probably a fix it ticket, meaning you'll need to get the tint removed, take car to be verified and ticket signed off, and then pay the $25 fine.

If you want to keep the tint, you can probably pay something like $200 to do so.

Does the ticket say correctable or non-correctable?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless you have a note from a Doctor, Stating that the tint is Necessary Because of your Eye's, or other medical reason. The Tint Must come Off, Period. Nothing can be tinted forward of the rear passenger Section.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AZuser
What you got is probably a fix it ticket, meaning you'll need to get the tint removed, take car to be verified and ticket signed off, and then pay the $25 fine.

If you want to keep the tint, you can probably pay something like $200 to do so.

Does the ticket say correctable or non-correctable?
Correctable & infraction is circled.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerB
There is nothing on the ticket or letter but to pay a $25 fee. No # to call.
You got a letter in the mail too? There should be instructions on there. It should tell you what needs to be done. Some letters will give you 2 options:

1) remove tint, have it inspected/verified and signed off, and then pay $25 fine.
2) keep tint and pay a higher fine (around $200)

Sometimes they want you to pay the higher fine to keep the tint so you can get caught again. It's a revenue generator. But if you get caught with illegal tint again, you might find yourself with a higher fine next time.

If you haven't received a letter yet, then it should be coming. Surprised there isn't a # to call.

Is there a compliance date?
Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AZuser
You got a letter in the mail too? There should be instructions on there. It should tell you what needs to be done. Some letters will give you 2 options:

1) remove tint, have it inspected/verified and signed off, and then pay $25 fine.
2) keep tint and pay a higher fine (around $200)

Sometimes they want you to pay the higher fine to keep the tint so you can get caught again. It's a revenue generator. But if you get caught with illegal tint again, you might find yourself with a higher fine next time.

If you haven't received a letter yet, then it should be coming. Surprised there isn't a # to call.

Is there a compliance date?
The letter supplied a phone # but it is just a recording allowing you to pay online, no real person. So I need to drive to the court, stand in line & offer to pay the higher fee to keep the tint? I am willing to pay as my time is worth more than the fee. I just don't want to waste a morning for nothing.
ideally, I would prefer to just mail the check for the higher amount but can't get a quote. That seems to be my real problem. I tried online but nothing more is offered. I was able to get an extension to September.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
there is multiple things you can do.. i have gotten plenty of tint tickets... the way i see it, i get a new tint .

1. The right way - remove the ting (you can do yourself, easy as heck), go to the local chp to have the ticket sign off and mail out your $25 check with the ticket.
---- i set up an appointment at my tint show -- they are happy to see me again.

2. If you know a chp or sheriff officer, have them sign off the ticket - if they cool like that and still send the $25 check.

3. if you are cool with your doctor, get a medical letter from them saying that is necessary to have tint in your car. if this is the "case
," then you can put an extreme light tint in your front windshield (something like allowing 90%+ light to come in) type of tint...
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I live in SoCal and just handled my second tint ticket.

There is no way to have the option to keep tint. Even with a doctors note, you would be told to put the suction cup shade on your windows.

You have to get the tint removed from the front windows. 100% clear. Then go to your local CHP office and they will stamp the back of the initial ticket you received.
On top of that you will have to send in $25 per citation... meaning just tint is 25 bucks... if you got tint and license plate, it is $50.

Aside from all that, I have heard repeated tickets can result in larger fines and Id assume possibly even a loss of license if they wanted to.

Sucks, I know.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Racer

I was caught once in 20 years. I'll take my chances.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
the key is -- see a cop, roll down you windows! and for me, i open my moonroof to get more light in when i see a cop.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thePearl
the key is -- see a cop, roll down you windows! and for me, i open my moonroof to get more light in when i see a cop.
I hear you! That trick kept me out of trouble for 20 years. This time I was caught by a stealth BMW. He was at my window before I could recover.