Mazda: MX-5 News

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:38 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
just have the top down rain or shine......
Old 11-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post 2016 Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro

Press release...

The Limited Edition all-new Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro has joined Mazda’s award-winning sports car line up. Based on the 2.0-litre 160ps Sport Nav, the Sport Recaro retains the finely balanced performance and handling of the standard car, but limited to just 600 cars, it benefits from added exclusivity and sporty styling enhancements inside and out.

The lightest MX-5 since the iconic original, the all-new Mazda MX-5 is shorter, lower and wider than the outgoing car, with the smallest overhangs and lowest centre of gravity yet. These dynamic proportions combined with Mazda’s KODO: Soul of Motion design philosophy ensure that the all-new Mazda MX-5’s styling reflects its focus on driving pleasure in an unmistakably contemporary and dynamic way.

Created with the discerning sports car fan in mind, the Sport Recaro builds on these sharp looks with a Brilliant Black Sports Aero kit that includes a rear spoiler, plus front, side and rear skirts. Piano Black door mirrors and 17-inch Diamond Cut alloy wheels with an engraved MX-5 logo complete the stand out exterior appearance.

Inside, the classy MX-5 cabin gains an Alcantara dashboard panel, alloy pedals and unique floor mats. Complementing the premium feel of the cabin, the standard Recaro seats feature Alcantara upholstery on the seat cushion and seat back, while red seat piping compliments the red stitching found on the dash, handbrake and gear lever.

Designed to deliver outstanding lumbar and lateral support, the heated Recaro seats are perfectly aligned with the Jinba Ittai concept of car and driver as one that defines the Mazda MX-5. Complementing the Mazda MX-5’s driver-focused cabin and communicative controls, the supportive Recaro seats match the fun-to-drive ethos that has made the Mazda MX-5 the best-selling two-seater sports car of all time.

Based on the generous specification of the 2.0-litre Sport Nav, the all-new Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro features LED headlights, a leather steering wheel, climate control air-conditioning, DAB radio, Integrated Bluetooth®, integrated navigation system with 3-years free European map updates, rain sensing wipers, rear parking sensors, smart keyless entry, a premium Bose®sound system and cruise control, plus Mazda’s MZD-Connect connectivity and infotainment system with 7-inch Colour touch-screen display and Multimedia Commander.

In line with the 2.0-litre Sport Nav, the Sport Recaro benefits from a dynamic set-up that includes Sports suspension featuring Bilstein dampers, a limited slip differential and strut tower bar. Across the range, the all-new Mazda MX-5 was conceived and developed under the concept of “innovate in order to preserve”. This engineering philosophy has allowed Mazda to maintain the agility, fun and engagement that has always defined the MX-5 while at the same time meeting ever-increasing safety and efficiency requirements, alongside improved refinement.

Continuing Mazda’s long tradition of special edition MX-5s, the all-new Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro is the first Limited Edition version of the all-new fourth-generation MX-5 offered in the UK, and its exclusivity is marked out by an individually numbered badge located on the centre storage box lid. With its stand out styling, sporty cabin enhancements and Recaro seats, the all-new Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro is available to order now.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 11-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sarlacc must be on some really bad drugs if he thinks this car isn't gorgeous.

I like how Mazda even got the tail light shape for the centre air vents. Nice subtle touch!

Wow, what a beaut!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Sat in one of these over the weekend at the LA auto show, tight fit to get in

But once inside it felt pretty comfortable.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Love the Sport Recaro, hate the wheels.
Mazda, give us a US Club-spec MX5 with Recaros!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

I like how Mazda even got the tail light shape for the centre air vents. Nice subtle touch!

Wow, what a beaut!
I don't hate it. I don't love it. This design will age much faster than past Miata designs.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Agreed. Miata design is much cleaner than the Fiata design. Should age much better.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

Wow, what a beaut!
He is not the only one.

Saw the pix, did not like the look. Saw it in person, still did not like it.

The rear just keeps reminding me of the old fat guy from Dragon Ball Z.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:02 PM

PRHT (Power Retractable Hardtop) MX-5 reportedly to be debuted at the New York Auto Show this month.
Rumors point to it somewhat having a Ferrari 308/C3 Corvette-ish appearance, waiting to see.

Still hoping for the Recaro option to come to the US, hopefully without requiring the Brembo/BBS to get it.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Mazdaspeed MX-5 with PRHT, Recaro and Brembo brake kit option
Old 03-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Sounds like the PRHT, may be a bit polarizing in design. Waiting to see what it looks like. also sounds like the PRHT may more Targa-like than convertible.

Soft top for me, though.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:19 AM

2017 MX-5 RF Revealed

Not a huge fan personally, but it does look good, IMO. I'll still be going with the soft top Club when it comes time for me to get one.
Sounds like about a 110lb increase in weight, and no info yet on the price increase.
New exterior color & tan leather for this one as well, not sure about it making it to production.

Top will be available in black or body color "depending on trim". Assumptions seem to be that it will not be available on the base Sport trim. Not sure about Club, or if it will only be available on the GT. I believe the NC had the PRHT available on the Club & GT.

Thread needs a title change!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
It doesn't retract all the way down?

Soft top looks so much better.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

I think it looks awesome.

Nice to see something new!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
It doesn't retract all the way down?

Soft top looks so much better.
More of a Targa than a vert. The top & back window retract & that's 'top down'.

I'm holding out for the rest of the 2017 info to release before I decide. If the 2017 soft top gets the Recaro seats, I'm in, otherwise, I'll try to find a deal on a 2016.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think it looks awesome.

Nice to see something new!
Same on both counts. Soft tops look ugly. Plus this won't be rattle city like with some removable hardtops.

The back window reminds me of the 2nd gen MR2.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:53 PM

A few tiny updates I've seen floating around, no sources available to reference other than word-of-mouth from some reputable members on Miata.net.

At least for the MY17
-Machine Gray will be exclusive to the RF, and will replace Meteor Gray for the RF, all other soft top colors transfer to the RF
-The nice little color display in the left pod of the instrument cluster will also be exclusive to the RF, the soft top keeps the black/white display here.
-Rear visibility with top up in the RF is supposedly nearly the same as with the soft top up. No increased blind spots with the buttresses.
-All RF models receive blind spot monitoring, only available on the GT soft top
-Pretty sure there will not be a Sport trim RF, only Club & GT.

A few shots and some top operation videos from a special event in San Diego (I was not there)
Miata RF at Mazda HQ - Speed-Driven | High Resolution HD Car Wallpapers & Automotive News
Old 04-25-2016, 08:41 AM

One Millionth Miata Built

1,000,000 Miatas
HIROSHIMA, Japan, April 24, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda Motor Corporation announced today that production of the Mazda MX-5 Miata (Mazda Roadster in Japan) reached one million units on April 22, 2016. The milestone figure was achieved over 27 years, with mass-production of the MX-5 starting at Ujina Plant No. 1 in Hiroshima in April 1989.

"From the first generation through to today's fourth-generation model, the reason we have been able to continue selling the MX-5 all these years is due to the strong support of fans around the world," said Masamichi Kogai, representative director, president and CEO, Mazda Corporation. "Mazda was founded in Hiroshima 96 years ago, and as we move toward our centennial year we will continue offering customers the joy of driving with this model, which has become a symbol of our brand. Mazda aims to create a special bond with customers and become a 'one-and-only' brand they will choose again and again."

One-Millionth Mazda MX-5 (Japanese specs, 1.5-liter soft-top)
As a way of expressing thanks to MX-5 fans and owners, the One-Millionth MX-5 will be displayed at fan events in Japan and around the world. The tour begins on May 3 at the Hiroshima Flower Festival where the car will participate in the Flower Parade.

The one-millionth will be in the U.S. in September, making stops around the country before its final destination at the annual "Miatas at Mazda Raceway" event on October 1-2. For those clubs interested in participating in a regional event in the U.S., please contact clubinfo@mazdausa.com. More information will be available in the coming weeks.

The MX-5 is a symbol of Mazda's car-making philosophy and tireless pursuit of driving pleasure. Since its debut in 1989, the model has consistently offered driving fun that can only be experienced in a lightweight sports car and won the admiration of people from various countries, cultures and age groups. The MX-5 is also critically acclaimed, with over 200 awards from around the globe to its name. The fourth-generation model released last year has won a string of awards, including 2015-2016 Car of the Year Japan, World Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year 2016.

The MX-5 has held the Guinness World Record1 for the best-selling open-top two-seater sports car for many years. With the achievement of one million units of production, Mazda will now attempt to break its own record.

History of the Mazda MX-5
Feb 1989
Original MX-5 debuts at Chicago Auto Show
Oct 1997
Second-generation MX-5 debuts at Tokyo Motor Show
Dec 1998
10th Anniversary Limited Edition MX-5 launched
May 2000
Recognized by Guinness World Records as the world's best-selling two-seater sports car (531,890 units produced)
Jan 2002
Production reaches 600,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
Mar 2005
Third-generation MX-5 debuts at Geneva International Motor Show
Apr 2005
Production reaches 700,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
Jul 2006
Retractable hardtop model debuts at British International Motor Show
Jan 2007
Production reaches 800,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
Jul 2009
20th Anniversary Limited Edition MX-5 launched
Feb 2011
Production reaches 900,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
Apr 2014
25th Anniversary Edition MX-5 launched
Sep 2014
Fourth-generation MX-5 debuts
Mar 2016
Mazda MX-5 RF debuts at New York International Auto Show
Mar 2016
Mazda MX-5 becomes first and only car to win both World Car of the Year and World Design of the Year at the New York International Auto Show
Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

S'more details and info on the RF...

With the European debut of the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF as the focal point, Mazda will celebrate the past, present and future of the MX-5 at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed. Having made its global debut at the New York Motor Show in March, the RF ‘Retractable Fastback’ will take centre stage on the Mazda UK stand this June, while other MX-5 highlights include the one-millionth production MX-5, plus the MX-5 Spyder and Speedster concept cars.

Designed to offer a new dimension of open-top driving fun, while at the same time staying true to the rationale of the previous generation MX-5 retractable hardtop, the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF’s ‘fastback’ styling gives it a unique appearance roof up or down, broadening the appeal of the world’s best-selling two-seater sports car.

“With the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF we freed ourselves from traditional ways of thinking and took on fresh challenges in order to create something new. Our aim was a convertible sports car with gorgeous fastback lines when the roof is closed and an exhilarating open-air feeling when open”, commented Nobuhiro Yamamoto, Mazda MX-5 Programme Manager.

The MX-5 RF’s retractable hardtop consists of front, middle and rear roof sections, and a rear screen. When the top is lowered the front and middle portions are stowed together, while the rear glass sits behind the seats, leaving the rear roof section in place to create a unique open-topped look, and a cabin feeling that combines a sense of open air freedom with the impression of being securely ensconced within the car.

A 5mm increase in roof height aside, the RF retains the same overall length, width and wheelbase as the convertible, while the fully automated hardtop is one of the fastest available, opening at the touch of a button even when the car is moving at up to 6mph.

The Goodwood Festival of Speed staring MX-5 RF will feature Mazda’s new premium paint colour – Machine Grey. Designed to accentuate the subtle yet dynamic surfaces of Mazda’s KODO: Soul of Motion exteriors, Machine Grey intensifies the contrasts between light and shadow with its high-density finish, giving the impression that the body was sculpted from a solid block of steel.

“If we consider the convertible model to represent the purist of lightweight sports car appeal, the new Retractable Fastback epitomises a new type of MX-5 that aims to be a compact sports car with a natural charm that everyone will find beautiful”, commented Masashi Nakayama, Mazda MX-5 Chief Designer.

Building on the all-new Mazda MX-5’s award-winning design, the RF’s roof up style wowed crowds on its debut in New York and will doubtless do the same in Sussex this summer. With gently downward slopping buttresses that tuck in at the sides to create a teardrop shape, the RF’s elegant fastback silhouette accentuates the MX-5’s dynamic and contemporary sports car proportions.

Developed to deliver enhanced cabin comfort and a refined ride, while at the same time maintaining the agility, balance and performance of the convertible, the suspension and electric power steering parameters have been specifically tuned for the Retractable Fastback. In addition, a sound-absorbing headliner used in the front and middle roof panels combines with sound insulation around the rear wheel housings to deliver a significantly quieter cabin when the roof is closed.

On sale in the UK in 2017, the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF adds another model to Mazda’s award-winning range and promises to write a new chapter in the MX-5 success story. Jeremy Thomson, Managing Director of Mazda Motors UK said, “we’re delighted that British fans will get to see the RF at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. With over 120,000 sales since its launch in 1990, the UK has played a huge part in the MX-5 success story and the RF offers something new that I’m sure will attract even more people to this amazing sports car when it goes on sale next year.”

Adding, “It’s also great that we have the one-millionth MX-5 with us at Goodwood, as this car is a physical milestone that highlights the continued success of the MX-5. With the current convertible we have a spectacular car that continues to win praise from our customers and the media alike, and having been crowned both World Car of the Year and UK Car of the Year, we’re looking forward to another bumper year of MX-5 convertible sales.”

Taking place from the 23rd to 26th June, the UK’s leading automotive event will see a full celebration of the world’s best- selling two-seater sports car.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

Still not loving the RF, but hope Mazda sells a ton of them.
Still waiting on 2017 soft top details to come out
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

Mazda REALLY stepped their game up with the ND. Compared to the NC I had, the ND interior/exterior is light years ahead. It truly is a nice place to sit.

Too bad they made the cabin a wee bit smaller though. I won't be able to drive one, unless I remove my ankles to be able to fit comfortably

Anyone want a few inches of my height? Sucks being 6'7"...
Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Mazda REALLY stepped their game up with the ND. Compared to the NC I had, the ND interior/exterior is light years ahead. It truly is a nice place to sit.

Too bad they made the cabin a wee bit smaller though. I won't be able to drive one, unless I remove my ankles to be able to fit comfortably

I'll take a few inches
Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

where would you like them?
Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Luckily at 6'0" 150lbs, I'm fit like a glove in the ND.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
I love the look of this but I would imagine the extra weight really hurts the car.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw one at a cars and coffee a few weekends ago. Headunit/nav looks like an easy target for thieves
Old 06-02-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I love the look of this but I would imagine the extra weight really hurts the car.
Rumor is only about 70-100 lbs. But I don't think the official weight has been released. Saw one article claim 200lbs

Originally Posted by next89
Saw one at a cars and coffee a few weekends ago. Headunit/nav looks like an easy target for thieves
Meh, they're getting more & more common on cars, and I don't really know that it's usable in another car. Not sure what all is in the dash behind it
Unless someone just wants to be a dick & just break it to break it.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM

DAMD 'Dark Knight' ND MX5

Not bad

I do quite like the seats & wheel, though.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey

While yes, every extra pound is never a good thing, unless you are strictly using the car for racing purposes, I don't think it will be that bad of a hindrance. I had the power retractable hard top on my NC and absolutely loved it. It made the car look a bit more "high end", I never had to worry about the fabric eventually starting to rip, and the weight of it was fairly insignificant. Under 100lbs and it likely was a bit more of a theft deterrent- hard top vs soft top. The roof was very minimalistic. No sound dampening, etc. Plus, if you're going to mod, you can make that roof seem rather insignificant.

Originally Posted by next89
I doubt it. Lots of cars have that kind of head unit these days. I know a lot of people don't like the tablet look, but I really love it in whatever car has it these days.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Nothing official, but seems like only the Fiata is getting the Recaros for MY2017.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Not bad

I do quite like the seats & wheel, though.
very Lotus-esque looking to me in this view.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 AM

Mazda Reveals Two Special MX-5's For Tokyo Auto Salon

Mazda Reveals Two Special MX-5's For Tokyo Auto Salon

Mazda has unveiled a pair of distinctive MX-5 roadsters which it will debut at next month's Tokyo Auto Salon.

The first of the pair is dubbed the RF Custom Style and is based around the fastback model of the popular sports car. Compared to the standard car however, it receives a number of new style touches including a low-slung front splitter and blacked-out side skirts.

Additionally, the RF Custom Style has been fitted with ride-height adjustable suspension, a strut tower brace up front and a ticker sway bar. Completing the modifications are new sports exhaust tips.

As for the second MX-5 bound for the Tokyo Auto Salon, it has been dubbed the Classic Red. Appropriately, it is painted in a color called Classic Red which is one of the three that was offered on the original 1990 MX-5. Apart from the paint scheme, the rest of the car remains standard.

The Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 will be held from January 13-15.
MX-5 RF

MX-5 Roadster

Old 12-19-2016, 08:28 AM

Going to be some bricks shit on the Miata forum, as a lot have been craving a classic red Miata over the current Soul Red.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Please Mazda make a fastback that isn't retractable and saves all the wait that comes with it.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:02 AM

^ Word from Mazda is that a Miata-coupe ain't happenin.
Shame, Japan got one in the NB generation.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 AM

A little fun.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/thi...y-mesmerising/

Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 AM

A bizarre comparo:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...cedes-amg-gt-c

Two cabrios, one significantly better endowed. But is the new AMG GT C missing the point?

This is probably the part where I should waffle on about the simple pleasures of driving a convertible: the wind whipping about your jowls, the sun holding you in its warm embrace, not just the sight, but the smell of the countryside streaming by. Then, I’d trot out some statistics about UK motorists buying more drop tops than anywhere else in Europe, for some unknown reason.

Words: Jack Rix
Photography: Alex Tapley

This feature originally appeared in the July 2017 issue of Top Gear magazine.

But the truth is, I don’t much care for convertibles. I like the idea of them, but the reality? Not so much. I can’t hear hands-free calls, they mess up what’s left of my hair, I get sunburn within 12 minutes (even on a cloudy day) and should I choose not to get roof down when the temperature creeps over 15şC for all the reasons above, people frown and shake their heads at me like I’ve just relieved myself into their shopping bag.

But today is different. The phone is turned off, I’m creamed up like a toddler on Bondi Beach and I’ve gone for an extra dollop of strong-hold gel. Today I’ve been dealt a blinder to untangle a simple conundrum – if being open to the elements is your thing, do you need to spend big to get the desired effect? Does more power, more bling, more noise, more everything necessarily mean more fun, especially on the UK’s uniquely narrow and crumbly roads? Just to be crystal, this is not a direct comparison, cross-shopping between these two cars is… unlikely. This is an exercise to prove that when you focus right in on fitness for purpose, an underdog can punch well above its weight. Enter our disparate pairing…

At the affordable end of the spectrum we have the singularly brilliant Mazda MX-5, the definitive pared-back roadster with only a modest 158bhp from its 2.0-litre engine, barely a tonne for its sparkling chassis to haul around and a manually operated roof. Simple, sporty, manageable, sublime. Yet somehow the prospect of driving one on some of the UK’s prettiest sun-drenched roads isn’t really tickling my pickle right now. It could be something to do with the AMG GT C that’s just pulled up alongside, like some vast silken shark. Wider track and arches from the GT R, low, hostile, it looks spectacular burbling away in the morning light – you could probably park an MX-5 on the bonnet alone.

Mercedes will do you a cooking GT Roadster, but the GT C is the one you want. Taking the best bits from the GT R – the wider track, four-wheel steer, electronic rear diff, adaptive sports suspension, toothy Panamericana grille, louder exhaust, lighter lithium-ion battery – and marrying them with a 549bhp version (28bhp less than the GT R, 28bhp more than the GT S and 80bhp more than the standard GT Roadster) of Merc’s twin-turbo 4.0-litre V8, it’s probably the most focused of the current R8 V10/Turbo S Cabriolet/F-Type SVR crop. But, as we learned from the GT R, although the spec sheet reads like a track special, it should be far more manageable on the road than the sum of its beefed-up parts. This is a Merc convertible after all, so an ability to cruise, as well as entertain, should be a given.

Right now, we’re on Beachy Head Road, up early to beat the Saga tour buses, and strangely I’m not thinking about cruising or entertainment, it’s a game of damage limitation. It feels absurdly wide, wide enough for two accommodating seats, a fat centre console, and surgically enhanced wheelarches beyond that. The steering isn’t helping, either – it’s on constant high alert. This is the epitome of a modern supercar steering set-up: light on feedback, even lighter to turn (even in S+ and Race modes), but with a super-high ratio giving the front end a feeling of telekinetic responsiveness.

So the road, quite literally, isn’t a great fit for the GT C, but with an engine like this you’ll be amazed at what can be forgiven. You don’t need more than the length of your driveway to realise it’s a stonker, all gruff and woofly at idle – like it’s carrying a nasty chest infection – but give it some revs and it makes all sorts of noises to keep you and your neighbours entertained. Forget Comfort and Sport modes, they’re far too tame, go straight for S+ or Race (not forgetting to dial back the suspension to the softest of its three settings) and the exhaust baffles open fully unleashing a snarling crescendo and a 21-gun salute when you lift off. With the roof down and your bottom parked pretty much on the rear axle, it’s almost enough to justify the Ł139,460 price tag alone.

Hopping into the MX-5 on the same bit of road is like swapping ski boots for slippers. It just fits. It feels like a puppy let off the lead for the first time – a gentle growl from the exhaust, just enough performance to keep you interested and your foot welded to the floor. Of course, the engine is sparrow-like compared to the Merc’s, but with no turbos there’s no delay and whereas the GT C can happily short-shift at 4,500rpm and still be barrelling along at mighty speeds, there’s a requirement to rev the Mazda and waste not a drop of the engine’s potential.

Like the AMG the steering is light, but then so is everything else – the gearshift, the pedals… the whole car, in fact. The AMG is impressively damped and never bottoms out, but it still rides with an underlying firmness, whereas the MX-5 glides down the straights and rolls and pitches around the corners – undesirable for ’Ring records, but wonderfully involving on the road.

Nowhere else are these car’s opposing approaches better demonstrated than with the roofs. The Merc, a whirring mechanical ballet of magnesium, steel and aluminium lasting 11secs and operational up to 30mph. The Mazda is a manual, no-frills, unclip, flip and click arrangement operational up to whatever speeds your biceps permit. Both have the desired effect: bringing the sun, wind and a high-def exhaust note into play.

One word of caution: if the attention a supercar brings is a concern, then a cabrio amplifies it considerably. Sitting at the lights in a coupe at least you’re largely obscured by glass and metal, but with the roof down in the GT C you’re constantly on parade. I find myself not knowing what to do with my facial expression – do I grin like I’m the luckiest guy in the world and I know it, or do I go for something cool and sullen, whatever that looks like? Invariably, I decide a straight-on middle-distance stare and awkwardly drumming my fingers on the door is the way to go.

Right, enough posing, time to find a road with a little more wiggle room, somewhere the GTC can shine. What you quickly realise is how rigid the reinforced chassis feels and how much you can lean on it through the corners. Where width was once the enemy, it now translates to indestructible lateral grip – honestly, you’ll need a racetrack to discover where it ends and the sliding begins. Four-wheel steering on the other hand is just brilliant at any speed – bringing a sense of agility to match that hyperactive steering, it’s like a couple of hundred kilos have just been stripped away.

Yet the MX-5 still doesn’t feel outclassed or out of its depth, because these are the roads and the days it was made for. It has an ability to simplify and distil the driving experience and make everything else seem too complicated and unnecessary. And it’s true, on UK B-roads or around town, the GT C is overkill, but Merc hasn’t taken any shortcuts so it’s a car that feels indulgently over-engineered for the simple process of clipping along with the wind in your hair. Bring a racetrack into the equation and the GT C would eat the Mazda for lunch, but if track days are your thing, we’d go for the GT R anyway. Which all sounds like I’d take the Mazda, but I wouldn’t, I’d have the Merc. Whoever said money can’t buy happiness was a liar.

Quick Reply: Mazda: MX-5 News