Mazda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
^ very unlikely - they are just not caught up in the hybrid hype and think, correctly, that diesels are the way to go for now.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Translation - Mazda doesn't have the ability to develop hybrids.
Mazda was under the control of Ford up until just recently and Ford had a hybrid for a couple years now so they had access to the technology but hybrids are useless. What many people dont realize is that gas milage really depends on driving style unless you are driving a heavy car or a car with enormous engine or both. Even then bad gas milage can be made worst by an agressive driving style
Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool Flip Flop

Just a few weeks ago, Mazda was adamant that diesel engines would be enough to satisfy its needs for more fuel-efficient cars - but now, in a major shift in strategy, the carmaker will be embracing hybrids and electric powertrains in the coming years.

The change in heart was revealed by Mazda's CEO Takashi Yamanouchi last week at the New York Auto Show. Speaking with Automotive News, Yamanouchi confirmed that Mazda will have hybrid and electric powertrains in its lineup by 2015, although the company will still be focusing on improving the efficiency of both its diesel and petrol engines.

Furthermore, Yamanouchi was confident enough to state that Mazda's next-generation of petrol engines will achieve the same fuel-economy as current diesels, and that its diesels will achieve the same fuel economy as existing hybrids.

Interestingly, despite the close links between Ford and Mazda, Yamanouchi claimed that new hybrid and electric technology will be "unique" to Mazda - although "if Ford desires, [Mazda] will be ready to see its technology".

Despite the shift in strategy, petrol and diesel engines will still play a large role in the company. The reasoning is that with hybrids and electric vehicles Mazda will be able to satisfy almost 90% of the car-buying public, and not just a limited segment of the market.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
How 'bout a diesel hybrid
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
How 'bout a diesel hybrid
I think there are a few reasons why diesel hybrids are not as popular.

1.) A Diesel engine is heavy, and hybrid system adds more weight, the two combined = very heavy.

2.) A Diesel engine makes a lot of low end torque, but not much top end power, even with a turbo system. An electric motor also makes a lot of low end torque, but the torque curve goes down quickly as it speeds up. I'd imagine there's going to be some "overlapping." Low end torque is good, but too much is not the best idea (especially on FWD cars - torque steer).

I'm sure there are other reasons, but for now these are what I can think of.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

1.) A Diesel engine is heavy, and hybrid system adds more weight, the two combined = very heavy.

2.) A Diesel engine makes a lot of low end torque, but not much top end power, even with a turbo system. An electric motor also makes a lot of low end torque, but the torque curve goes down quickly as it speeds up. I'd imagine there's going to be some "overlapping." Low end torque is good, but too much is not the best idea (especially on FWD cars - torque steer).

what is this thing.

Mazda is not a company known for state of art diesel engines. It was stupid for them to make such declaration.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Did I say diesel hybrid is impossible? Nope, what did I say then. I said, "I think there are a few reasons why diesel hybrids are not as popular." And that's true at this moment, don't you think so? May be my knowledge is limited, but I don't see too many diesel hybrid passenger vehicles out there now. Of course, that's not to say it won't be popular in the future.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Did I say diesel hybrid is impossible? Nope, what did I say then. I said, "I think there are a few reasons why diesel hybrids are not as popular." And that's true at this moment, don't you think so? May be my knowledge is limited, but I don't see too many diesel hybrid passenger vehicles out there now. Of course, that's not to say it won't be popular in the future.
Probably because the makers of the few hybrid vehicles out there dont really have diesel cars even as a option state side. Getting Diesel stateside on a larger level in automobiles (not trucks) is turning into a large ordeal.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Race Director

Any announcement about something some car maker might do in 2015 has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

The only reason we're even talking about hybrids is the run up to $4/gal last year. Look at any announcement GM or Chrysler made 5 years ago and see how much of it will happen. Someone could buy Mazda and go in a totally different direction. Heck, even the start-stop technology that Mazda has just about ready may not even happen.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

oof...pretty much wrong on all fronts
Diesel hybrid is the best of both worlds....and coming soon.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Probably because the makers of the few hybrid vehicles out there dont really have diesel cars even as a option state side. Getting Diesel stateside on a larger level in automobiles (not trucks) is turning into a large ordeal.
Yea, I agree. I don't see any reasons that will prevent diesel hybrids from being popular. It's just a matter of time.

I think some of you misunderstood my post. I was merely giving reasons as to why, in this moment, diesel hybrid is not as popular as gasoline hybrid for passenger vehicles. Heck, this concept seems to work quite well for big trucks - even some Honda's delivery fleet trucks are diesel hybrids.

The reasons what I mentioned before - weight and low top end power, these can be improved eventually. For weight, we can save weight by using lighter batteries (improved capacity, efficiency, lithium ion vs NI-MH, etc), different materials for engines, or even use lighter materials for other parts of the car to compensate for the engine weight. For top end power, car makers, especially European ones, are greatly improving that in recent years.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Post Article

This is article is 2 years old but I am sure that the price issue still holds true:
Not an Either-Or Situation

It's technically possible to use a hybrid drivetrain with a diesel engine. In fact, PSA Peugeot Citroën recently showed a diesel-hybrid prototype: the 307 CC Hybride HDi, a compact convertible that gets 70 miles per gallon, about 30 percent better fuel economy than the existing diesel version. No one makes diesel hybrids yet, mainly because they are expensive. The added benefits come at a double expense—more for the hybrid system and more for the diesel engine. PSA Peugeot Citroën may introduce a diesel hybrid to the market as early as 2010. But no promises yet from the company.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
From LLN

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-to...om-toyota.html

Mazda to source hybrid technology from Toyota
07/16/2009, 10:33 AM
By Drew Johnson

Mazda has committed to joining the hybrid race by the “20-teens”, but the small Japanese automaker won’t be going it alone. Just as Nissan licensed its early hybrid technology from Toyota, Mazda will reportedly source its early hybrid tech from the world’s largest automaker.

According to the Nikkei business daily, Toyota will supply Mazda with the core parts for its forthcoming hybrid vehicles. The first Mazda hybrids with Toyota-sourced internals should hit the market sometime in 2013. Although Mazda isn’t a large automaker, it plans to sell about 100,000 hybrids annually.

It remains unclear which Mazda model will be the first to receive the hybrid treatment, but the Japanese automaker has previously stated it isn’t planning any dedicated hybrid models.

The tie-up seems to be a win-win for both automakers. Mazda will be receiving one of the best hybrid systems on the market – able, in its current form, to return up to 50 mpg – and Toyota will be getting a much needed extra stream of income. Expect to hear more on the hybrid partnership as we close in on that 2013 launch date.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Race Director

^ 2013 would be the intro of the next gen Mazda 6. I still say that's too far out to know for sure what they'll do.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Mazda: Diesel Engine news

Mazda hasn’t exactly been clean about its future United States clean diesel plans – saying first it would concentrate on the technology before switching alliances to hybrids — but the Japanese automaker revealed earlier this week that is seriously considering oil burners for the American market.

Seita Kanai, head of Mazda’s research and development efforts, revealed to Automotive News on Tuesday that Mazda is currently testing its clean diesel technology on U.S. soil. Kanai failed to specify how many prototypes are current roaming the streets of America.

However, Mazda’s clean diesel technology has plenty of hurdles to overcome before it gets the green light for the U.S. market, namely adequate volume levels. “As an engineer, ideally I would want to introduce diesels, but I am not sure if it makes a business case,” Kanai said. Mazda estimates that it would need a minimum of 10,000 U.S. diesel sales to make an adequate business case.

But Volkswagen U.S. diesel sales are quickly making a case for Mazda. VW is one of just a handful of automakers spearheading the U.S. diesel efforts, with the initial results proving to be very positive. Moreover, Mazda recently reveal the next-generation of its 2.2L diesel engine, promising 50 percent better fuel economy than the current mill.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-mu...tml#more-21964

Do it!!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok Honda, Where is yours.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Cool They Need to Make Up Their Minds

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=mazda+hybrid
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Race Director

Almost everyone has a diesel they could use but like Mazda here, are very gun shy due to the economy and more specifically car sales levels. They all need to be able to whore out to enough models to have enough volume to justify the expense. The last word from Honda was the same - they're not sure there's enough volume to intro them. Meanwhile, VW is eating everyone's lunch.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by biker
Almost everyone has a diesel they could use but like Mazda here, are very gun shy due to the economy and more specifically car sales levels. They all need to be able to whore out to enough models to have enough volume to justify the expense. The last word from Honda was the same - they're not sure there's enough volume to intro them. Meanwhile, VW is eating everyone's lunch.
...and yet they think there is enough volume for electric car sales?!?!?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Update

Mazda is seriously considering a 4-cylinder diesel for the CX crossover for the U.S. market in efforts to boost fuel-economy without sacrificing performance, reports Road&Track.

The 2.2L diesel inline 4-cylinder in the European 5-passenger CX-7 makes 170-hp and a peak torque of 295 lb-ft. That’s enough to get it from 0-62 mph in 11.3 seconds. In comparison, the 2.3L direct-injection gasoline engine makes 260-hp, allowing the CX-7 to go from 0-62 mph in 8.2 seconds.

If the decision to bring diesel to the U.S. is approved, a Mazda official says that it would be the company’s next-generation diesel called SKY-D that would make it here. It is a little bit more powerful than the 2.2L diesel unit and would most likely be offered with the company’s new dual-clutch automated gearbox. The 6-speed manual may also be retained.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Lets hope they can get it to work with an AT.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TSX69
The 6-speed manual may also be retained.
What are the chances that family SUV would have a 6MT in the US?

Even the DSG idea seems dubious. Other then VW, no other maker wants to jump in the diesel pool with a mainstream vehicle for some reason.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
6 speed manual??? I don't see that on the Canadian site. Maybe that's a typo in the article?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Race Director

^ the article is talking about possible upcoming drivetrains - not what is available now.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
We never get any cool diesels in the States.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Toyota

Tokyo - Toyota Motor Corp and Mazda Motor Corp announced Monday that the two automakers had reached an agreement under which Toyota would supply hybrid technology used in the Prius.

Mazda is to launch its own hybrid vehicles by 2013 while the automaker plans to combine Toyota's hybrid parts with its next-generation engine, the company said.

Toyota already provided its hybrid technology and parts to Nissan Motor Co and US automaker Ford Motor Co, which has capital ties with Mazda. Toyota and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd, the maker of Subaru, are also jointly developing hybrid vehicles.

Mazda is likely to gain access to Toyota's key hybrid parts including batteries, an electric motor and a control unit, while Toyota hopes to reduce costs for the core hybrid components through mass production, Kyodo News reported.

Toyota, the manufacturer of the Prius, the world's best-selling hybrid, has been struggling recently to regain consumer trust after more than 8 million cars were recalled worldwide over problems with brakes, accelerator pedals and floor mats.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'd tell Toyota, thanks but no thanks and then go see Ford for some parts
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

Wink Mazda 6

If there's one thing we're clamoring for here in the U.S., it's more diesel engines in passenger cars. Mazda will soon be answering our cries, as it plans to launch its all-new SKY-D powertrain in its "next-generation mid-sized car" (read: Mazda6) sometime in 2012.

The big news about this engine is that it's expected to achieve up to 43 miles per gallon on the highway, trumping the current class-leader of fuel economy in the mid-size sedan department, the Ford Fusion Hybrid. This powerplant will be mated to a brand new six-speed automatic transmission, called SKY-Drive, and will not only meet Tier 2 Bin 5 regulations, but will meet North America's strict emissions standards.

In addition to the SKY-D diesel engine, Mazda has said that it plans to build a new SKY-G gasoline engine that when coupled to the SKY-Drive six-speed automatic will provide 15 percent better fuel economy than the its petrol poweplants currently in use. Hit the jump to read the full details in Mazda's press release.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Mazda: Nagare Design Style to End **Kodo Design Revealed (page 1)**

Mazda ends Nagare language, looks to Alfa Romeo
Mazda’s current design language, known as Nagare, which was penned by Laurens van den Acker – not of Renault – will no longer be utilized following the completion of the Mazda5.

The Mazda5 was the only vehicle that received the Nagare design language in full, but according to Peter Birthwhistle – Mazda Europe British design boss – who spoke with Auto Express, the Nagare language was difficult to apply to effectively packaged people carriers.

“Nagare is done. After the 5, it’s highly unlikely that there will be another nagare car. Mazda has moved on,” said Birtwhistle.

The man who succeeded Acker, Ikuo Maeda, has said that Mazda’s new language aims to be “more like a Japanese Alfa Romeo, producing cars which are great to drive, but crucially that also have the right premium feel, particularly inside.”

Mazda currently has a special event planned in which it will consider internal designs in September, all of which are being produced under the working title of “thrusting motion.” The competition will see a winner selected by Maeda himself, and the vehicle will be debuted at the Paris Motor Show.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-en...lfa-romeo.html

Looks like Mazda is gonna get back on the right track!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Mazda ends Nagare language, looks to Alfa Romeo

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-en...lfa-romeo.html

Looks like Mazda is gonna get back on the right track!
THIS IS GREAT NEWS! I like Mazdas in general, but wouldn't even consider beeing seen in (much less buy) one with a smiling front facia. A shame too, because those Miatas are pretty sweet cars.

It looks pretty much as bad as the 4....uh, nevermind :-)
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

....and I think Mazda now realizes this and made the right move.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Good
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
....and I think Mazda now realizes this and made the right move.
At least Mazda moved quickly. Waiting for Acura to do the same by getting rid of Dave Marek.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
the smile such as on the current 3 is excessive. but the prev 3 I thought struck the perfect balance between smile and design. it was stylish but not to the point where it's offensive. i think they just need to tone it down a few thousand notches, that's all.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
From the "Funny Internet Pics" Thread:

Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
At least Mazda moved quickly. Waiting for Acura to do the same by getting rid of Dave Marek.

His picture says it all IMO:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by yumcha
+1
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Race Director

For Mazda I don't think the design will help much - the Mazda 6 is a great car and it even looks good - but that hasn't helped sales. Despite the overdone front end of the Mazda 3, it still sells very well. Mazda just seems to be stuck in a "niche" status.

Quick Reply: Mazda: Development and Technology News