Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Lexus: UX News

Lexus will build a production version of the UX crossover - Autoblog

Lexus will build a production version of the UX crossover

Joel Stocksdale
It seems that Lexus's selection of crossovers is about to get bigger by going smaller. The Australian automotive news site Motoring says a Lexus representative confirmed that a production version of the UX concept is coming soon. A Lexus representative said it will help bring younger customers to the brand.

As a refresher, the UX was a subcompact crossover shown at the Paris auto show, and it was quite striking. The exterior was
a flurry of curves and angles, and the interior had crazy seats with elastic straps instead of cushions and a holographic user interface. The interior even had a weird, finned sound bar in the dash that could be removed and carried around. The futuristic interior features are practically guaranteed to be exclusive to the concept, and the exterior design will probably be toned down.

Since the slightly larger Lexus NX borrows some bits from the RAV4, we expect the UX to utilize some underpinnings from another the smallest crossover in the Toyota line, the
Toyota C-HR. Sharing with the C-HR would also mean the UX would also have some commonality with the current Prius, as both vehicles use the scalable architecture known as TNGA. This would also mean a hybrid UX is a strong possibility as well, since the Prius is only available as a hybrid, and the C-HR has a hybrid option in Europe and Japan.

It's hard to say when the car will arrive, but considering the compact crossover craze we can't imagine that Lexus wants to wait too long. It's possible a near production-ready concept will appear at a show next year, and would likely reach dealers at the end of that year or the start of the following one.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Lexus and Acura are in a race to the bottom for pleasing designs.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
It's mighty aggressive, not sure what the market is for a Lux-class Cherokee/Compass competitor
Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Pix

Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Almost looks like someone fed/bred a Veloster to/with a Predator....
Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Lexus and Acura are in a race to the bottom for pleasing designs.
Not so sure about this UX, but I have been loving this newer more ballsy and aggressive lexus. I like most of the designs. Acura is just stagnant, ill conceived, and not cohesive.

Lexus isn't for everyone, but they've done a great job taking themselves away from being thought of as only aimed at an older crowd and capturing a younger market.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Not so sure about this UX, but I have been loving this newer more ballsy and aggressive lexus. I like most of the designs. Acura is just stagnant, ill conceived, and not cohesive.

Lexus isn't for everyone, but they've done a great job taking themselves away from being thought of as only aimed at an older crowd and capturing a younger market.
They definitely aren't just Toyota+
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (02-23-2018)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

I'll give Lexus credit in one regard: When they make production models, the toned down version looks better than the original concept simply due to the softened looks. The F Sport models do look pretty good, overall.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Well we know this is just a concept. They would never release a vehicle like this... I mean, their current design language is pretty bold, but it's still way toned down from this. They're just showing off their skills again, is all.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

Now all they need is some new engines with some real power and some better resolution for their Navi/Infotainment interface.

I have recently sat in the new GS, the interior and everything looked great, until i started looking at the Navi screen..... it is just as bad as Acura's.
Sarlacc (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's absolutely awful.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
That. Is. Hideous.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Put on some reasonably sized wheels, maybe tone the fenders down slightly, and slap on the typical Lexus interior, and this will likely target the GLA crowd.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
That. Is. Hideous.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by ttribe
That. Is. Hideous.
It's just going to look like a different sized NX upon release.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

I don't like the look of NX... especially the one without F sport package. It looks incomplete.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:11 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I don't like the look of NX... especially the one without F sport package. It looks incomplete.
i prefer the f sport nx. So does my dad but they got a regular one. I like them. They drive nice and the interior is top notch.

I just don't love the Lexus touch pad/finger mouse. Though I'm sure it's fine once you get used to it. I am currently dealing with idrive after all.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

Your idrive is the best system out there right now. After BMW had failed so many times at iDrive, it is only acceptable they get it right now.

I just tried the new iDrive 5.0 in the new 5 series.... that is all i gotta say.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM
The Third Ball

Your idrive is the best system out there right now. After BMW had failed so many times at iDrive, it is only acceptable they get it right now.

I just tried the new iDrive 5.0 in the new 5 series.... that is all i gotta say.
iDrive is fine. UConnect is much better and more intuitive. iDrive, like anything German, is over engineered and requires too many clicks and steps to get things done that should only take 1 or 2.

With the 5 and 7 gaining touch screen in tandem with iDrive, perhaps its even better.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
iDrive is fine. UConnect is much better and more intuitive. iDrive, like anything German, is over engineered and requires too many clicks and steps to get things done that should only take 1 or 2.

With the 5 and 7 gaining touch screen in tandem with iDrive, perhaps its even better.
Give me a touch screen over a joystick thing any day of the week. My Sorento has a touch screen and I VASTLY prefer it to the wheel-knob deal in the MDX and RDX. Though admittedly, the one in the MDX/RDX was very easy to use and more comfortable because I could use it will sitting back.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by RDX10
Give me a touch screen over a joystick thing any day of the week. My Sorento has a touch screen and I VASTLY prefer it to the wheel-knob deal in the MDX and RDX. Though admittedly, the one in the MDX/RDX was very easy to use and more comfortable because I could use it will sitting back.
Carplay with the Audi knob interface is preferable to me. Touch screens blow. There's literally no feedback. My wife's CR-V is just unusable. We avoid all the menus and basically just fuddle around with the awful touch screen presets.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Carplay with the Audi knob interface is preferable to me. Touch screens blow. There's literally no feedback. My wife's CR-V is just unusable. We avoid all the menus and basically just fuddle around with the awful touch screen presets.
My ideal setup is to have both the touch screen capability as well as the joystick while still having buttons/knobs for radio presets/tuning and volume knobs/temperature controls. I HATE cars that make you use touch screens for things like adjusting temp and fan speed and raising/lowering volume. My Sorento has climate control buttons/knobs and the knobs for volume and tuning, the only thing I hate is the absence of preset buttons, but I can EASILY change the presets with a flick of a button on the wheel.

We had a 2016 X5 rental for a week and I could not for the life of me figure out how to change the radio properly, I can't remember if it was changing between fm channels that was the issue or changing between sources. But I remember for the whole week I could not reliably get it to work for me (whatever radio related thing I was trying to do lol). I can't remember if that screen was touch sensitive, I don't think it was.
kurtatx (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:51 AM
The Third Ball

Uconnect's touch screen layout is so intuitive, simple, and quick. My wife complains about no physical buttons (so she should like her bimmer more)...I have no issues, I blow through the menus and barely have to look at the screen. I also prefer dodges steering button layout. Having the radio/audio controls on the BACK of the wheel on the left and the volume on the BACK on the right just feels so smart. I actually use them because your hands are naturally there while driving. As opposed to almost every other car where you reach for the dash controls out of muscle memory.

iDrive is nice, but too many steps to accomplish something simple. layers and layers, and until you get used to it, you are constantly looking at the screen and not the road. They should make front end collision warning standard on cars like that, lol. I've gotten used to CarPlay with the idrive knob, but CarPlay (while still being an infant application) is at its best as a touch screen, its how it was designed.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Azine Jabroni

Uconnect's touch screen layout is so intuitive, simple, and quick. My wife complains about no physical buttons (so she should like her bimmer more)...I have no issues, I blow through the menus and barely have to look at the screen. I also prefer dodges steering button layout. Having the radio/audio controls on the BACK of the wheel on the left and the volume on the BACK on the right just feels so smart. I actually use them because your hands are naturally there while driving. As opposed to almost every other car where you reach for the dash controls out of muscle memory.

iDrive is nice, but too many steps to accomplish something simple. layers and layers, and until you get used to it, you are constantly looking at the screen and not the road. They should make front end collision warning standard on cars like that, lol. I've gotten used to CarPlay with the idrive knob, but CarPlay (while still being an infant application) is at its best as a touch screen, its how it was designed.
Good points here. In our garage, we're basically set up for Carplay with the knob (my car) or a really ugly touch screen interface (her car). I feel like a touch screen Carplay interface is the best of both worlds, but I currently don't have that option. My Honda touch screen experience has soured me to the whole process.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM
The Third Ball

Good points here. In our garage, we're basically set up for Carplay with the knob (my car) or a really ugly touch screen interface (her car). I feel like a touch screen Carplay interface is the best of both worlds, but I currently don't have that option. My Honda touch screen experience has soured me to the whole process.
Yeah its funny what people prefer.

My Durango and my wife's outgoing Cherokee have the exact same interface/system. 8.4" touch screen Uconnet with the same steering wheel controls. I love it, and that I can use both cars without switching my brain over. My wife does NOT like the touchscreen. It was one reason that made her not want to consider grand cherokee when the time came to find a replacement.

She hasn't driven the X3 too much yet. So, I'll be curious how she likes the change in the end.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Actually i see it differently.
Now i can actually move between screens and etc.. without taking my eyes off the road.
Spend some more time with the current iDrive and you will notice it is probably the most user friendly system out there. Don't let the touch pad confuse you. It is a nice to have but not necessary crap BMW recently added.

The best feature i find is the voice recognition for Point of Interest. I don't think i have ever used that feature in all my previous cars because it was useless.
In the new iDrive, it actually works 90%+ of the time. So you can find restaurant and other places without entering anything. Since the search is linked to google via BMW connect, you can pretty much find anything that you can find on Yelp.
Sarlacc (03-16-2017)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:24 AM
Safety Car

AutoNews

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...tail-lamp-fins
Lexus will debut UX crossover with tail lamp fins

February 20, 2018 @ 5:09 am

Shares

A UX teaser shot of the vehicle from the rear shows a low and wide stance with tail lamps that are connected by a thin line and flair up along the sides. They appear to protrude skyward like fins.

TOKYO – Lexus taking its long-anticipated plunge in the premium small crossover segment with the debut of the UX at the Geneva auto show on March 6.

Lexus confirmed the Geneva debut in a statement on Tuesday outlining its show plans

While Lexus gave no further details, a spokesman for its parent Toyota Motor said the vehicle is the production version of the
UX Concept shown at the 2016 Paris auto show.

It will get a more toned-down design than the aggressive-looking UX Concept, which had heavy creasing, bold blister fenders, angular wheel wells and a massive mesh version of the brand’s trademark spindle grille.

The UX is expected to be based off the Toyota C-HR subcompact crossover, which is built on Toyota's TNGA modular platform that also underpins the Prius.

Powertrain details for the UX concept are still under wraps, but the production version could use at least one of the three available globally in the C-HR: a 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder in the U.S. and a hybrid powertrain or a 1.2-liter turbo four cylinder available outside the U.S.

All-wheel-drive is also a possibility.
The UX nameplate helps round out the Lexus lineup with a crossover-styled vehicle at the small end of the spectrum as customers flock to crossovers of all stripes.
The production UX will be a toned down version of the UX concept.
The Lexus NX was the top-selling compact premium crossover in the U.S. last year, and the RX topped the premium midsize ranking. There is little competition in the luxury small segment outside the Infiniti QX30. But mass market subcompact crossover sales in the U.S. surged 14 percent last year, despite the overall market’s slump.

Lexus executives have long wanted to tap that demand.

In Europe, Lexus hopes the
UX will help the brand to counter German automakers' domination of the premium small crossover segment with models such as the BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA.

Lexus sold 45,098 cars in Europe last year, up 1.5 percent, of which almost 20,000 were the NX, according to figures from JATO Dynamics.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Old 02-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
They need to fire their designers.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Acura and Toyota designers: No one can possibly make uglier cars.
Lexus: Hold my beer.
TacoBello (02-23-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Pics

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/lexus-ux-crossover-revealed-aggressive-design-and-new

Lexus UX crossover revealed with aggressive design and new infotainment

Lexus’s answer to the BMW X1 and Jaguar E-Pace is said to be as 'agile as a hatchback'
  • Lexus has revealed its new UX
  • It will come with new underpinnings and tech
  • At the rear will be a light bar
  • The car is coming to the Geneva motor show
27 February 2018
Lexus has claimed that its upcoming UX crossover, which has just been revealed with new images, will be as agile as a hatchback thanks to an all-new platform with a low centre of gravity.

Images of the car's exterior and interior have been released ahead of its public debut at the
Geneva motor show, showing that it will also be one of the brand's most aggressive-looking models. Inside, there's a new widescreen infotainment system that appears related to the one used in the Lexus LS.

The small SUV, which brings the fight to the
Jaguar E-Pace and Mercedes-Benz GLA, stems from the UX concept, which was revealed at the Paris motor show in 2016.

The UX will be powered by a mix of internal combustion engine and traditional hybrid powertrains, as proven by Lexus’s
trademarking of UX200, UX250 and UX250h monikers following the concept’s reveal.

This suggests the car will share engines with lower-end
NX SUV models and the ageing CT hatchback. It is thought that the UX will eventually replace the CT.

Features of the production car will be toned down from those of the concept; the large, intricate wheels and door cameras in place of mirrors are the 1st to go.

Rivals range in length from 4400mm to 4450mm, so it’s likely that the UX will sit somewhere in the middle.

Prices have yet to be confirmed, but its closest competitors are priced £29,000-£35,000. The NX occupies the lower end of the segment’s price range, so it’s likely that the UX will do the same, with a price tag of less than £30,000 expected.

The
Lexus RX L, a 7-seat version of its large SUV featuring 3 rows of seats, will make its European debut at the show, alongisde the Lexus LF-1 Limitless concept, 1st revealed at the Detroit motor show in early January.
Read more

Lexus UX concept revealed in Paris

Lexus prepares seven-seat Range Rover rival for Tokyo motor show

Lexus CT review

Lexus LFA successor put on hold in favour of 'affordable performance'

Old 02-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

So they are gonna have UX and NX? i am confused.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 PM
The Third Ball

So they are gonna have UX and NX? i am confused.
Better than Infiniti with Qxxxx and QXxxxxxx
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Did they run out of paint when they got to those fenders?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Better than Infiniti with Qxxxx and QXxxxxxx
No, the name is not what i was talking about.

It looks like NX and UX are similar sized compact SUV.... probably similarly priced as well.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM
The Third Ball

No, the name is not what i was talking about.

It looks like NX and UX are similar sized compact SUV.... probably similarly priced as well.
I believe the UX is probably more in the CH-R camp...smaller and "sportier"
Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2019-ux/

The new Lexus UX offers the brand's innovative luxury and safety in a package that combines bold new design elements and ultra-efficient new powertrains. For many customers, the UX will not only be their first Lexus, but also their first luxury vehicle.

The UX name is derived from the design team's guiding concept and describes the vehicle's mission: Urban + X-over (crossover) = UX.

"The Lexus UX is designed for the modern urban explorer seeking a fresh, contemporary and dynamic take on luxury driving," said Chika Kako, executive vice president of Lexus International and chief engineer of the UX. "We designed the UX to appeal to buyers in their 30s who seek not only what is new and exciting, but what is also relevant to their lifestyles."

Infused with dynamic attitude, the Lexus UX is engineered to deliver quick and engaging driving with a Lexus-smooth demeanour, making it a unique entry in the luxury compact crossover segment.

The UX is the first Lexus constructed using the new Global Architecture - Compact (GA-C) platform. A lightweight yet super-rigid structure, extremely low centre of gravity and refined suspension tuning endow the Lexus UX with exemplary handling agility and ride comfort, along with a distinctive driving personality.

"I wanted to positively overturn the image of a crossover with a high body that requires careful manoeuvring, and offer a car with nimble performance and excellent manoeuvrability that makes it as easy to drive as a sedan," said Chief Engineer Kako.

The UX is available in two versions: the UX 250h with a fourth-generation self-charging hybrid powertrain featuring a new high-efficiency 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine engineered specifically for this platform, and the Lexus UX 200 where the 2.0-litre petrol engine is coupled with a new Direct-Shift Continuously Variable Transmission (D-CVT).
Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM

Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 AM

Quick Reply: Lexus: UX News