Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
awesome in an understatement....its pure SEXXXX
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Had to watch the video twice.....had to!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Only twice? Noob
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Just saw where some dealerships are starting to get their allocations...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
OH MY GOD - this blew me away. the fun starts at 1:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm-MS...layer_embedded
holy shiet it sounds hot
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

LOVED....that video!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Look what new book just showed up from Amazon....

Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Awesome Steven! I want to check that out next year
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Oh and I've decided that I would gladly give up one testicle for an Aventador.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Team Owner

^^^ Congrats buddy-hey, just come on over and check out the book.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I'm sure some of our resident Lamborghini fanatics will enjoy this...

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...alkaround.html

Oh yes we did. Inside Line recently caught up with the only 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 rolling display chassis in existence and had our way with it at a nearby Lamborghini/Aston Martin service facility.

What's more, this beautiful piece of one-of-a-kind automotive sculpture has been sold to an unnamed private owner in the Far East. Once it completes a couple more exclusive corporate appearances it's destined to be crated up and shipped to an undisclosed private location, never to be seen again.

I'm totally geeked out. Kurt Niebuhr's shutter finger has never been itchier. Let's get on with it.

I'll try not to muck up Kurt's photos with too many arrows, though some will be necessary here and there.

Before we take the tire off Kurt and I can see we're in for a treat. Aluminum abounds in this gorgeous double wishbone front suspension, but the spring and damper are nowhere to be seen.

De-tired and raised up on a lift, this head-on shot shows what's going on. The Aventador uses what's called pushrod front suspension, a variant of the double wishbone layout that uses a pushrod (green) where a coil-over shock might otherwise reside. The pushod is connected to a triangular bellcrank (yellow) that pivots about a fixed point on the chassis, indicated here by crosshairs.

In open-wheel racers such as Formula One cars, pushrod suspension removes the bulky spring and shock assembly from the airstream to improve aerodynamics. But there's also a significant reduction in unsprung mass, because a slender aluminum pushrod weighs a lot less than a coil-over.

The upper end of the bellcrank bolts directly to its coil-over, which lays horizontally end-to-end with its opposite number from the other side. Wheel lifts lower arm, lower arm lifts pushrod, pushrod pushes bellcrank, bellcrank pushes spring and damper assembly.

Even though they move around a little, the bellcranks and the coil-overs are not counted as part of the dreaded unsprung mass of the car. The unsprung mass tally stops at the pushrod.

That gold collar beneath the spring (beneath from a line-of-force standpoint) is a hydraulic lifting mechanism that allows the driver to raise the front of the car to keep the nose from augering in to driveway cuts and parking curbs. The fluid pipes aren't present, but if they were an application of hydraulic pressure would make this collar grow longer, which would drive the spring into the bellcrank and back through the system, raising the nose of the car.

The Aventador can use the preferred front-steer rack placement (yellow) even though it's an all-wheel drive machine because the engine and transmission are of course well out of the way at the back of the car.

A pushrod layout also makes space for the front drive axles. A pushrod is far more slender than any coil-over, but even here they use a necked-down (green) dogbone shape. Oh sure, we've seen others employ a fork that straddles the axle and then stacks the coil-over on top of that, but that getup requires far more vertical space than a slant-nose supercar like this has to offer.

In other words, pushrod suspension allows a low nose without forcing the use of abnormally stubby springs and shocks that would restrict travel and be difficult to tune.

Here's another view of the same pieces from another angle.

This is the bellcrank. There's a lot going on here, but it also looks bitchin'.

The motion ratio of a bellcrank setup is hard to determine without specific knowledge of several dimensions. Inputs enter via the pushrod, and they arrive well below 1-to-1 with respect to the tire. You'll see why if you go back a few slides and notice where the pushrod connects inboard of the balljoint.

From there, the pushrod's inputs act on the bellcrank at radius R1 (yellow). The bellcrank then presses against the spring at larger radius R2 (green), which produces more spring movement for a given amount of pushrod movement. This increases the overall spring/shock motion ratio realtive to the tire back toward the neighborhood of 1-to-1, possibly beyond.

Meanwhile, the stabilizer bar's drop link attaches at shorter radius R3 (orange), which means its overall motion ratio is closer to 0.50-to-1, maybe less. The stabilizer bar itself has very stubby arms to compensate, so it all works out.

You may have noticed that the upper and lower control arm connect to the subframe with tie-bars, a method of attachment more common in racing and other high performance applications where large bushings aren't necessary to promote ride comfort.

Tie bars are also popular in certain segments of motorsport because they allow for quick alignment adjustments by swapping out shims located between the tie-bar and the subframe. The suspension need not be disassembled to make such changes, only loosened slightly.

Furthermore, the effects of different shims thicknesses can be pre-calculated, reducing the need to make detailed alignment measurements at the track each time you make a small setup change. You still have to measure and reset the toe-in, but you'll know ahead of time how much caster and camber change a given pairing of shims will produce.

Shim-based suspension settings don't creep and move as can happen when eccentric cams are used. Sometimes the fast line around a track involves a little curb-hopping, you know?

The Aventador's front subframe bolts to a carbon fiber "tub", the central carbon monocoque frame structure that gives the Aventador's chassis immense strength and low weight.

Inside the tub are two mirror-image openings in the forward bulkhead. In North American trim, the left one admits the steering shaft and holds the pedal assembly and brake master cylinder, while the right one gives access to the HVAC system. These are of course reversed in nations that drive on the wrong side of the road.

The Aventador's hydraulic power steering rack sits in a crossmember right below the springs. The tiny pinion shaft (yellow) is aimed directly into one of those bulkhead openings.

Six-piston Brembo brake calipers are paired with massive two-piece carbon-ceramic brake rotors.

The ventilated and cross-drilled rotors are said to be good for the life of the car, which isn't as much of a stretch as you might think. No one's putting 100k miles on one of these babies.

The front brakes are stuffed inside 19-by-9-inch forged alloy wheels. And I do mean stuffed.

Moving to the rear, we see more forged aluminum and another pushrod and bellcrank.

The Aventador uses double wishbone rear suspension, with a toe link (arrow). Everything is mounted with tie-bars and the balljoints are massive.

The lower wishbone is biased toward the front such that its front half is a more effective longitudinal load path and the rear half a dedicated lateral load path.

Here we can see that the toe-link (right) and the lower wishbone (left) are almost equidistant from the drive axle, which means they're both sharing the lateral load. Massive balljoints on both underline how much load there is to share.

Here's another view of the same bits. From this angle we've also got a good view of the pushrod (yellow) and its lower mounting point.

As we saw in the front, the pushrod has a dogbone shape and is mounted slightly off center to make way for the drive axle which, by definition, has to be in the middle.

Higher up, the pushrod pushes against a triangular bellcrank that pushes on the spring and lifts the stabilizer bar link.

Unlike the front, input radius R1 from the pushrod (yellow) is about equal to ouput radius R2 (green) at the spring. Therefore, the overall motion ratio doesn't change at the bellcrank and stays at 1-to-1, the ratio it arrived at because the lower end of the pushrod connects directly to the rear upright.

The satabilizer bar motion ratio, on the other hand, is reduced to 0.5-to-1 or thereabouts because its link bolts to the bellcrank at shorter radius R3 (orange).

Here's another view of the bellcrank, the stabilizer link and the very straightforward (and strong) stabilizer bar mount.

The Aventador's rear springs sit well behind the mid-mounted V12 engine. Everything in sight is very well braced.

Yes, that's the muffler. Woof.

Just like the front, rear camber adjustments are made with shims that have been slid behind the tie-bar mounts for the lower wishbone. Only difference is these slip in from the top.

Toe adjustments are made with an eccentric cam at the inboard end of the toe-link because toe settings can't be made effectively if they're restricted to the step changes afforded by shims.

The rear subframe bolts to the back of the carbon fiber tub, bringing the engine, transmission and rear suspension along with it.

Take a moment to go back and look at the McLaren MP4-12C suspension walkaround. That car uses a central carbon tub, too, but it's purely structrual and completely hidden. The body panels are added to offer rollover protection and give the car its shape.

Here we can see that the Aventador's carbon chassis incorporates a full-height rear bulkhead and includes the roof (orange). The a- and b-pillars are also part of this central carbon fiber monocoque. You don't get much rear window, though.

Four-piston Brembo calipers handle the stopping chores at the back end. A single-piston sliding Brembito caliper acts as a parking brake. Both pinch a massive ventilated carbon-ceramic rotor.

None of the above would be of much use without suitable rubber. How do these massive Pirelli P Zeros grab you? They certainly grab the asphalt. For the record you're looking at 225/35R19 fronts mounted on 19-by-9 rims. The rears are 335/30R20 (that's another 50% wider, folks) and they live on 20-by-12 rims. Forged alloys all around, of course.

And that's what you get when you pay supercar money. Too bad it's mostly hidden from sight. Maybe the far eastern dude that bought this roller wasn't so dumb after all. Hard to drive one of these properly without killing yourself anyway. Might as well strip it bare and stare at it with a drink in your hand, impressing the hell out of your friends and business associates.

For the record, Kurt and I had Dr. Pepper.
The following 5 users liked this post by chill_dog:
Belzebutt (03-01-2012), CLtotheTL32 (09-27-2011), Costco (09-27-2011), ttribe (09-27-2011), Yumcha (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 PM

I just had a crisis.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 PM

I love this:

"In North American trim, the left one admits the steering shaft and holds the pedal assembly and brake master cylinder, while the right one gives access to the HVAC system. These are of course reversed in nations that drive on the wrong side of the road."

Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I just had a crisis.
Yeah, like...realizing that you can never own this car?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Yeah, like...realizing that you can never own this car?

Maybe one day in 1:18 scale
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

While I appreciate everything that's in this car, I'm still bothered by the Batmobile-esque looks of it. It's definitely a futuristic looking design, though...maybe it will grow on me.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Great post chill_dog.

Going through that really makes you appreciate the engineering that go into cars these days, esp supercars.

at the size of the brake rotors/calipers.

I had a crisis too (top gear reference I am assuming CLtotheTL32?).
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
None of the above would be of much use without suitable rubber. How do these massive Pirelli P Zeros grab you? They certainly grab the asphalt. For the record you're looking at 225/35R19 fronts mounted on 19-by-9 rims. The rears are 335/30R20 (that's another 50% wider, folks) and they live on 20-by-12 rims. Forged alloys all around, of course.
ok so I was going that can't be right. and, its not. the fronts are 255's not 225's. you can even see it in the 2nd photo

great post, nonetheless!! my gosh look at how beautiful everything is... I'd be reluctant to drive it!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

and proper camera, 1D Mark IV
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by srika
ok so I was going that can't be right. and, its not. the fronts are 255's not 225's. you can even see it in the 2nd photo

great post, nonetheless!! my gosh look at how beautiful everything is... I'd be reluctant to drive it!!!
I just copied and pasted...not my place to edit . I thought it was odd having a 225 on an x9 wheel, especially since it didn't look stretched...that would explain it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

oh I wasn't saying I thought you wrote that.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
While I appreciate everything that's in this car, I'm still bothered by the Batmobile-esque looks of it. It's definitely a futuristic looking design, though...maybe it will grow on me.
100% agree. for such a miraculous, harmonious engineering feat, the design says otherwise. the exterior body language and mechanical underpinnings are not compatible at all.

and btw, even though lambo is great at churning out these wonder-of-the-world, perfectly engineered cars, they always seem to fall short of the pack in comparo track testing ... it seems as though only the who's who, elite professional drivers could handle them properly. the real world performance of lambos is typically far less than what the numbers imply. at the end of the day, ferrari, and various others, seem provide much more user friendly setups that will leave a lambo in the dust. this hugely discredits lambo's superior price tag and HP numbers. the same could be said for the bugatti veyron. its a engineering statement that has little real world application. dare i say: over-engineered. it sure is fun to look at though.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 09-27-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Jay Leno's Garage got one recently....

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...4/#item=198705

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1358158" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Team Owner

^^^^ Bastard-not only did he get an Aventador, he got the matte black one.....
Old 09-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
100% agree. for such a miraculous, harmonious engineering feat, the design says otherwise. the exterior body language and mechanical underpinnings are not compatible at all.

and btw, even though lambo is great at churning out these wonder-of-the-world, perfectly engineered cars, they always seem to fall short of the pack in comparo track testing ... it seems as though only the who's who, elite professional drivers could handle them properly. the real world performance of lambos is typically far less than what the numbers imply. at the end of the day, ferrari, and various others, seem provide much more user friendly setups that will leave a lambo in the dust. this hugely discredits lambo's superior price tag and HP numbers. the same could be said for the bugatti veyron. its a engineering statement that has little real world application. dare i say: over-engineered. it sure is fun to look at though.
Apparently that's changed with the Aventador (based on Top Gear and Evo's reviews that I have seen,...and to a certain extent Autocar,..not as smooth tranny as the 458).

Last edited by West6MT; 09-28-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Team Owner

I'm switching to Letterman.....

....unless Leno gives me his Aventador.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-28-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

duPont REGISTRY awards the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 and other exotic cars in its 2012 Exotic Car Buyers Guide

duPont REGISTRY has the named the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 its Car of the Year, its most prestigious award, in its 2012 Exotic Car Buyers Guide, which is set to hit newsstands and other retail outlets in early October. With production of the Murcielago concluding in 2010 after nine years and a run of 4,099 cars, Lamborghini released its most potent and technologically advanced V-12 flagship of all time: the Aventador LP700-4. duPont REGISTRY chose the LP700-4 as the king of the 2012 exotics because of its advanced carbon-fiber construction, powerful V-12 engine, sophisticated transmission, and mesmerizing styling.

In addition to its Car of the Year award, duPont REGISTRY also acknowledged five other automobiles for their contributions to the exotic and luxury car marketplace for 2012 and beyond:

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

duPont Publishing, Inc. will release its annual Exotic Car Buyers Guide to over 25,000 upscale newsstands, bookstores, and international airports on October 4, 2011. The 10th-anniversary issue includes nearly 150 pages of detailed reviews and specs of exotic, luxury, and aftermarket automobiles as well as accessory and wheel guides.

“The duPont REGISTRY Exotic Car Buyers Guide is the only annual guide that focuses on only exotic automobiles,” says Publisher Thomas L. duPont. “There are no factory epistles… just pictures and a few comments from our editors that are designed to pique the reader’s interest and take them to the next level—ownership!”

duPont REGISTRY Awards Ferrari 458 Spider for its Design

duPont REGISTRY bestows the 2012 Best Design award on the new Ferrari 458 Spider in the latest edition of its Exotic Car Buyers Guide. The car stood out among its peers because of its revolutionary hardtop convertible mechanism, which allowed for the retention of many of the coupe’s lines with the roof closed while establishing a distinguishing new look with the top open. In addition, not only does this innovative top weigh less than a comparable soft-top mechanism, it also allows room for an uncompromised cargo area behind the two passenger chairs.

duPont REGISTRY's Exotic Car Buyers Guide Editor-in-Chief Benjamin Greene marvels, “With the 458 Spider, Ferrari has surpassed most people’s expectations while raising the bar on other exotic-car manufacturers.”

duPont REGISTRY Names Bentley Mulsanne as Best Luxury Sedan for 2012

Bigger yet lighter and redesigned from the chassis up, the Bentley Mulsanne carries its predecessor’s timeless elegance, hulking posture, and immense power into the new decade with the latest technologies and luxury appointments. This is why duPont REGISTRY named the Bentley Mulsanne its 2012 Best Luxury Sedan in the 10th-anniversary issue of its Exotic Car Buyers Guide. This is Bentley’s second award from duPont REGISTRY in as many years, following last year’s recognition of the Bentley Continental GT as its Best Luxury Coupe.

“The Continental Supersports models weren’t a strong move for Bentley, but it made up for this setback by quickly selling a year’s worth of Mulsannes, which is no easy task for a car at that price point,” said Editor-in-Chief Benjamin Greene. “The Mulsanne will help Bentley move to the next level for the new decade.”

2012 Nissan GT-R Earns Nod for Best Bang for your Buck from duPont Publishing, Inc.

Just when you thought the Nissan GT-R couldn’t get any better, new modifications to its 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 result in even more power and faster acceleration times, prompting duPont Publishing, Inc.’s editors to award the GT-R with the Best Bang for your Buck award in the 2012 duPont REGISTRY Exotic Car Buyers Guide.

“Small improvements have made a huge impact on the GT-R, making this already affordably priced dream car an even better value at only $90,000,” mentions Editor-in-Chief Benjamin Greene.

BMW’s i8 Concept Captures duPont REGISTRY’s Best Eco-Exotic Award Despite its Pre-Production Status

The i8, which is the first in BMW’s future line of i vehicles, has captured international attention with its futuristic shape and incredible fuel efficiency.

“Part of the concept car’s physical allure also helps it achieve its goal of low fuel consumption through well-developed aerodynamics,” said Editor-in-Chief Benjamin Greene.

The car, which should appear in 2013 as a 2014 model, includes both gasoline and electric drives and has an incredible range of 435 miles.

duPont REGISTRY’s 10th-Anniversary Exotic Car Buyers Guide Awards the 2012 Jaguar C-X75 the Best New Concept

The C-X75 is Jaguar’s first supercar in 20 years and will be the brand's most advanced model to date. The C-X75 is poised to compete in the new competitive hybrid exotic market. Its sleek exterior combines with its 300-mile range, drawing power from both gasoline and electric sources to solidify the popularity of this futuristic concept.

Background: The 2012 Exotic Car Buyers Guide is published by duPont Publishing, Inc. Founded in 1984 and headquartered in St. Petersburg, Florida, the company publishes duPont REGISTRY A Buyers Gallery of Fine Automobiles, duPont REGISTRY A Buyers Gallery of Fine Homes, and duPont REGISTRY A Buyers Gallery of Fine Boats classified magazines and other lifestyle publications that continue to be the leading periodicals in their respective high-end marketplaces. Visit http://www.dupontregistry.com/ for more information.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Team Owner

Here-watch this! It's 23 and a half minutes, but WOW !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4iZ382VqA
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I still don't like the Batmobile-esque nature of it (both outside and in). All of those buttons to operate everything...lame. Insert the key fob...lame. Flip a cover to push the ignition...lame (it's not a nuke). The LED running lights...lame (these need to die on all cars).

That said, it sounds AMAZING!!! And they're a little less than two hours away...maybe they'll let me test drive it if I mention I saw and liked the video .
Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

^^^ LOL, let us know how that works out for you.

Personally, I love the buttons and the starter button under the red lift-up tab. I just wish it said "LAUNCH" instead of Start/Stop.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ LOL, let us know how that works out for you.

Personally, I love the buttons and the starter button under the red lift-up tab. I just wish it said "LAUNCH" instead of Start/Stop.
I wish it said "Fire" or "Missiles".
Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

holy carp... don't know the MPH, but Automobile Mag tested this car in the quarter mile... 10.5 seconds.

edit: traps around 130 mph...
Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Holy shit.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Spyder testing. pics inside

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120229811
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Looks just fine to me
Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
I still don't like the Batmobile-esque nature of it (both outside and in). All of those buttons to operate everything...lame. Insert the key fob...lame. Flip a cover to push the ignition...lame (it's not a nuke). The LED running lights...lame (these need to die on all cars).

That said, it sounds AMAZING!!! And they're a little less than two hours away...maybe they'll let me test drive it if I mention I saw and liked the video .
If I was paying $300,000+ for a car I'd want it to be as Batmobile-esque as possible with custom Wayne Enterprises license plates.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Lamborghini Aventador J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=LgRfGVDDswU#!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Autoblog

Back in January we heard rumors that Lamborghini would bring two new vehicles to the Geneva Motor Show. Once the Lamborghini MLC SUV was ruled out, that left the Aventador Roadster and a surprise for which guesses have ranged from the Gallardo replacement to the production Sesto Elemento to something else.

That something else appears to be the car shown above. Reportedly dubbed Avendador J, it's a minimalist speedster variant of Lamborghini's flagship supercar, and it got an early reveal this weekend at Czech website AutoForum. The car loses its roof entirely, has a tiny windscreen, and reportedly dumps all unnecessary amenities like air conditioning and an audio system. Any additional weight-saving measures Lamborghini has put into effect will be revealed tomorrow, when the car debuts at the Volkswagen Group's preview gala.

There's much speculation online as to whether the Aventador J will be produced an any number. In truth, it doesn't even matter. If Lamborghini builds any, it will sell all of them, immediately, at whatever price it asks.

Now, Lamborghini also released a video teasing the car's Geneva unveiling, which ends with the hashtag #Unica on the screen. That translates to "only" in English, which could suggest that the Aventor J is, in fact, a one-off.

Follow the jump to watch the teaser, and stay tuned here as all the Geneva festivities ramp up starting Monday evening. We'll be on hand to bring you news and photos of the new Lambos as they're revealed.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: Lamborghini: Aventador News