Honda: Odyssey News

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

Haven't read too much on the new 10spd yet; other than it having slightly better mpg than the 6spd in the current trucks. I'm happy so far getting 18-21mpg.
It pulls trailers better.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Those were all software issues that have since been fixed. I think the ZF9 is now going into the newer Land Rover and GM models as well.
My issues haven't been fixed, even with the firmware updates. It got better, than the last update made it way worse. But, first year model, first year problems. Though I do hear the one complaint regarding the new Pacifica some people have is the transmission (9spd)

Either way...lease is up in May. On to something else.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

Because its the best choice according to others and its not a Honda, you should get the Acura TLX
Old 01-12-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
It pulls trailers better.
Have read that too. I don't tow enough to justify it, yet.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
No but that ties into what I and the other poster (on mobile, so can't see his name sorry) are trying to say about there being too many gears. The 8 speed aisen unit does not have dog clutches, and since you never even see 9th, is there really a point in having 9 gears with dog clutches vs an 8 speed without them? Do I make sense lol?

By the way not to go off topic, but how do you like your jeep? It has been something on my mind for a while now (an orange,red, or black trail hawk with the big knobby tires and every option available) and could see myself in one in a couple years. IMHO the interior is gorgeous.
Jeep is great, I love the interior. Mine is black and has every option aside from the adaptive cruise package. It's definitely comfy and a nice place to be but if you're a bigger guy, you're not going to like a whole lot. The Jeep as a whole has been awesome to own. It is shockingly capable off road (see my thread in car talk for pics) in that it has literally taken me up to tops of mountains on less than desirable roads all while returning upper 20's in fuel economy in the summer. In the winter, the fuel economy plummets because of the cold here due to the 4WD automatically engaging all the time but whatever. We took a road trip to Colorado with it last fall and it rocked for long distance travel and ate up the trails too. Not many others on the market can do that (Land Rover can) at this price point (lol, Land Rover can not) so in that it's great.

HOWEVER! On the road, it's quite dull to drive. Your MDX will be more engaging to drive if that's your thing but the Jeep will take you to places not many other people will get to see though you won't do that all that often.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I will be giving the Jeep to the wife and retire her Accord. I want something that's fun to drive every day and has a manual transmission. The S2k would fill that role perfectly but it sleeps for 6 months of the year and only comes out on perfect days otherwise.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
IMHO, 10 speed in a Truck can be VERY helpful if implemented right. Having the gearing spaced properly for load will make it much nicer to drive and having the tall final gear will help with economy.
It would be better in a diesel truck TBH. Modern turbos create such a fat torque curve that tons of gears don't buy you a lot other than bragging rights. Diesel and NA motors are much more peaky with torque delivery and can take advantage of the gear counts because it can stay in the power band longer.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
My issues haven't been fixed, even with the firmware updates. It got better, than the last update made it way worse. But, first year model, first year problems. Though I do hear the one complaint regarding the new Pacifica some people have is the transmission (9spd)

Yeah, I know they did an actual part number change for the 9 speed early in the MY15 run. The newer ones are a lot better and I have no gripes with mine in terms of how it drives. I just picked mine up from the dealer for some warranty work and they performed 12 software updates to various parts of the Jeep from the instrument cluster to the drive train controller.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Yeah, I know they did an actual part number change for the 9 speed early in the MY15 run. The newer ones are a lot better and I have no gripes with mine in terms of how it drives. I just picked mine up from the dealer for some warranty work and they performed 12 software updates to various parts of the Jeep from the instrument cluster to the drive train controller.
Looks like I chose one year too early. I can't even get the wife to look at the Grand Cherokee as a replacement. She is turned off from Jeep at this point. She also doesnt like the touch screen with a lock of buttons...I don't get it because I LOVE the interface. She likes her buttons. Whatever, its her car and hopefully we can find something she likes. She thought she was going to love the Cherokee...sadly she does not. So, I'll be happy to be rid of it.

What kills me with the transmission is stop and go...sometimes it feels like the gear gets caught and doesn't downshift to proper gear when slowing down or coming to a stop sign, then when you hit the gas it either hesitates or jerks, annoying as hell. And on freeways sometimes mashing the gas to pass...huge delay then downshift...not safe IMO.

The 8spd in my Durango...perfect. responsive, quick, no issues.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Question Hybrid

Honda Considering Odyssey Hybrid With Acura MDX Running Gear

Honda Is Considering An Odyssey Hybrid with Acura MDX Running Gear to Challenge the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

By Timothy Cain on June 6, 2017

Can frugal transportation and family transportation coexist in a single package?

Lead Honda R&D engineer Tom Sladek indicated to Wards Auto at the Hawaiian launch of the all-new, 5th-generation, 2018 Honda Odyssey that Honda’s minivan could receive a hybrid powertrain in the future.

Presently, hybrid powertrains are available in a numerous 3-row crossovers. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is presently launching a plug-in hybrid version of the new-last-year Chrysler Pacifica, as well.“The electrification initiative is definitely coming, but on which products and which timing is not 100% clear yet,” Honda’s Sladek told Wards. If one such product is the Odyssey, we would expect to see improvements both in the Odyssey’s fuel economy and its performance.

And all-wheel drive?

The 2018 Honda Odyssey is a close relative of the Acura MDX. Production even takes place at the same Alabama assembly plant, though some MDX production is moving to Ohio to free up capacity for the Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgeline, and this new Odyssey.

The 3rd-generation MDX recently became available in Sport Hybrid guise (and was recently tested by TTAC’s Steph Willems.) Horsepower increases by 31 to 321. Average fuel economy climbs from 22 miles per gallon to 27.

Says Honda’s Tom Sladek: “We just released the hybrid MDX so that powertrain could be considered in the future, although we can’t comment on particular plans.”

For the 2018 Honda Odyssey, driven by TTAC’s Chris Tonn in Hawaii, the installation of the MDX’s Sport Hybrid powertrain would represent an increase of 41 horsepower. Fuel economy in the Odyssey, like the core all-wheel-drive MDX, averages 22 miles per gallon.

Wards suggests an Odyssey Sport Hybrid — which likely wouldn’t maintain the Sport tagline at Honda — would offer more of an emphasis on fuel economy than its Acura cousin, presumably at the expense of some power.

While the Acura MDX in its current Sport Hybrid iteration connects a 3-motor system to a 3.0-liter V6 and a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic, the 2018 Honda Odyssey is a front-wheel-drive minivan with 9 or 10-speed automatics. The 10-speed is only available in the top Touring and Touring Elite trims and does not alter the EPA mileage ratings for that pair of heaviest Odysseys.

But if Honda was serious about installing the MDX Sport Hybrid’s powertrain in the Odyssey, this would also be an indication that the Odyssey would finally offer an all-wheel-drive option. The MDX’s rear motors make the Sport Hybrid an all-wheel-drive vehicle.

At the moment, the only all-wheel-drive minivan on sale in the United States is the Toyota Sienna. Roughly one-quarter of the Siennas currently in stock are AWD models.

On the hybrid side, the Chrysler Pacifica’s ramp-up is only just getting going. HybridCars.com estimated 800 sales of the plug-in Pacifica in May, but there there are only 231 in stock at Chrysler stores, according to Cars.com.

If — and it is a big if — American Honda determines a Honda Odyssey Hybrid is in the company’s future, adopting
Acura’s MDX pricing scheme wouldn’t hurt, either. Comparably equipped, Acura charges only $1,500 more for the Sport Hybrid than a regular MDX.

A high-power, all-wheel-drive Honda Odyssey for an extra $1,500? That’s too good to be true.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Award

2018 Honda Odyssey CabinWatch? Wins ?2017 Best of What?s New? Award From Popular Science Magazine - Honda News2018 Honda Odyssey CabinWatch™ Wins “2017 Best of What’s New” Award From Popular Science Magazine

Oct 10, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.Highlighting 1 of its many new and innovative family-friendly features, Popular Science recognized the 2018 Honda Odyssey's CabinWatch™ with its "2017 Best of What's New" award. CabinWatch uses a ceiling-mounted camera to give parents a birds-eye view of children in the 2nd- and 3rd-row seats, including those in rear-facing child seats, with the image displayed on the front-mounted 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen. With infrared capability, the system works day and night, allowing a parent, for example, to monitor a sleeping child without turning on a light; and with simple smartphone-like gestures, the parents can easily zoom in and out or pan for a better view.

Built to make everyone in the family happy, the
2018 Odyssey went on sale in May and also recently earned the highest safety ratings of TOP SAFETY PICK+ from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and a 5-Star Overall Vehicle from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

"The Best of What's New awards honor the innovations that shape the future," says Joe Brown, Editor in Chief, Popular Science. "From life-saving technology to incredible space engineering to gadgets that are just breathtakingly cool, this is the best of what's new."

The 2018 Odyssey offers a broad range of active and passive safety features, including Honda Sensing, which can help drivers avoid a collision or mitigate its severity and is now standard on EX and above trims. Honda Sensing technologies include Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).

Old 10-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Great, now we can have distracted soccer moms watching their child sleep while driving.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 AM

And I'm not sure that angle would really help to see into a rear facing seat. Not with the carry loop & shade in the way.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I will wait for the day that Honda get sued for providing too many "distractions", thus increase of chance to creating a car accident.

by the same people who enjoy these distractions.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Doug does a Ody
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/honda/2021-odyssey/

The refreshed for 2021 Honda Odyssey receives numerous updates to styling, along with upgraded technology and safety features to further strengthen its position as America's retail best-selling minivan for the past 10 years, the top choice of American families looking for the ultimate fun family vehicle. Prices for the 2021 Odyssey start with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $31,7901 (not including $1,120 destination and handling charge).

A restyled grille and front bumper fascia, revised front lighting and new black trim under the rear window give Honda Odyssey a fresh exterior look. Inside, Odyssey offers upgrades to functionality and luxury: The second-row seats on all Odyssey trims now fold nearly flat, making them easier to remove while enhancing cargo-carrying options, and expanding on the flexibility of Odyssey's exclusive Magic Slide™ second-row seats.

Honda Odyssey EX and higher trim levels also get restyled seats and new tri-color floor mats, while EX-L and above receive and power lumbar support for the front passenger seat and contrast seat stitching. Odyssey Touring and Elite also get new piano black trim on the dash, doors and front door handles, while Elite receives additional luxury touches.

A new Rear Seat Reminder system is standard and can also be integrated with the available CabinWatch® child viewing system, an industry first. For the first time, Odysseys equipped with CabinTalk® and CabinWatch® can use both systems simultaneously, and the upgrade will be retroactively applied to similarly-equipped 2018-2020 model Odysseys through an over-the-air update.

Also, important upgrades to Honda Sensing® add Low-Speed Follow, Pedestrian Emergency Braking, and Traffic Sign Recognition to the newly standard suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies.

As America's best retail-selling minivan 10 years running, American consumers have purchased more than 1.1 million Honda Odyssey minivans during that time, and Odyssey has consistently set the standard for family-friendly features, space and sporty driving performance in a minivan. Odyssey was the first to introduce minivan innovations such as third-row seats that fold into the floor, the first built-in vacuum cleaner, HondaVAC®, and the first in-cabin rear seat viewing system, CabinWatch®.

The 2021 Honda Odyssey is made exclusively at Honda's Lincoln, Ala. auto plant, alongside Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline, using domestic and globally-sourced parts. Its V6 engine is also manufactured in Alabama, with its 10-speed automatic transmission manufactured exclusively at Honda's Tallapoosa, Ga. facility.

Exterior Design Changes

All 2021 Odysseys now feature more powerful and efficient LED headlights as part of a new front-end design that includes a new front bumper fascia with redesigned fog light housings, and a bold new blackout grille topped by a chrome strip. The design is echoed in the rear with new gloss-black trim under the rear window, accented by a chrome strip. Honda Odyssey Touring gets 19-inch wheels for the first time, while the Odyssey Elite receives newly styled, machined and painted Shark Gray 19-inch alloy wheels. For the 2021 model year, the premium colors Platinum White Pearl, Deep Scarlet Pearl, Pacific Pewter Metallic, and Forest Mist Metallic are available for $395.

Interior Upgrades

With its exclusive Magic Slide™ seats, available in EX and higher trim levels, Honda Odyssey offers the ultimate in second-row seating flexibility, and for 2021 that flexibility is expanded with outboard seats that fold nearly flat, making them easier to remove for maximum cargo space. The standard three-across mode offers enough room to fit three child seats, and each second row position is equipped with lower anchors and upper tethers. Remove the center seat, and you have Wide Mode, which creates a wide pass through to the third row. With the click of a handle mounted on the outboard seats, the two can be pushed together at the middle for Buddy Mode, or moved to either side for Super Mode, allowing easy outboard access to the third row.

Odyssey's cargo management is further improved for 2021 with the addition of grocery bag hooks on the back of the third-row seats in the rear cargo area, and an updated center console with slots to help manage charging cords for smartphones or other devices. Also for EX and above trims, the Cabin Control™ app has been redesigned with an easier-to-use interface.

Honda Odyssey EX and above trim levels come standard with new tri-color floor mats that not only give Odyssey a more upscale look, but help maintain that look by hiding dirt better. Honda Odyssey EX-L and up add new contrast stitching on the leather seats in all three rows, new storage pockets on the second row outboard seatbacks, and the front passenger seat receives adjustable lumbar support.

For Odyssey Touring and Elite, there's new piano-black interior trim and a new USB charging port in the third row, for a total of five throughout the vehicle. Also, the CabinWatch® and CabinTalk® features have been more seamlessly integrated in the Display Audio system, and two additional parking sensors in front expanded the sensing zone.

The 2021 Honda Odyssey Elite receives additional exclusive updates, giving owners a more luxurious driving experience. These include perforated leather for the first and second rows seats, with contrast stitching and piping on all three rows. Elite trims also feature exclusive dash trim with a deeper metallic look, plus newly designed 19-inch alloy wheels and auto-dimming side mirrors.

Honda Sensing® controls have been simplified with the use of a single integrated system switch to control Collision Mitigation Braking System™ and Lane Departure Warning, rather than separate controls for these functions. The single switch also controls the blind spot information system. Mounted on the dash to the left of the driver, a single press opens a menu on the Odyssey's TFT meter display, where the driver can then turn functions on and off using steering wheel controls.

Powertrain

Honda Odyssey drivers benefit from the confidence-inspiring power of a standard 3.5-liter V6 i-VTEC® engine producing 280 horsepower (SAE net), mated to Honda's refined and responsive 10-speed automatic transmission. Fuel efficiency is aided by Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®), with the capacity to seamlessly switch between three- and six-cylinder operation, helping Odyssey receive EPA fuel economy ratings of 19/28/22 mpg (city/highway/combined).

Safety and Driver-Assistive Technologies

In addition to becoming standard across the lineup, Odyssey's Honda Sensing® suite is updated with expanded features and capability: a more advanced front radar unit enables Pedestrian Emergency Braking; Traffic Sign Recognition is newly added; and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) now includes Low-Speed Follow, which extends the automatic following capability to stop-and-go traffic situations down to 0 mph. The new Electric Brake Booster that enables ACC also enhances pedal feel for more confident braking.

Honda Odyssey's new Rear Seat Reminder system alerts drivers to check their rear seating area when exiting the vehicle after placing children, pets or other precious cargo there. When the vehicle is switched off, a chime sounds, and a message to check the rear seating area appears on the instrument panel. On Touring and Elite trims, the Rear-Seat Reminder system is integrated with the CabinWatch® rear-seat camera system, the first integration of a rear-seat camera into a Rear Seat Reminder system in the industry. When activated, in addition to the audible and text warnings, the Rear-Seat Reminder uses the CabinWatch® camera to display the rear seating area on the center console's Display Audio screen.

Tragically, every year in the United States dozens of children die in vehicles from heat-related illnesses. In 2019, Honda joined other major automakers in pledging to install RSR systems in all of their vehicles by 2025, and Honda expects most of its models to feature the system by 2022.

The 2021 Honda Odyssey earns a 5-star Overall Vehicle Score from the NHTSA and is targeted to receive a Top Safety Pick rating from the IIHS, including the highest available rating of "Good" in all IIHS collision tests thanks to its second-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) structural design, and a "Superior" rating for frontal cash prevention. Also, the updated standard LED headlights have been designed to provide improved illumination, and are anticipated to achieve a score of "Good" in the rigorous IIHS headlight standard.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 AM

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (07-30-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
A bunch of new recalls for the Odyssey (among others) https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...calls-72163062
Old 08-05-2020, 08:37 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Jeez, I have a 2018 Honda Odyssey - there have been so many recalls for this car it is unbelievable. I know it is a first year model and all - but it is surprising how many recalls it has had, I believe there have been 5 recalls before this latest bunch of recalls that you just posted.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Meh... that is just Honda's massive $billion R&D dollars at work... They would research and issue recalls...
Hyundai is not issuing similar recalls because they dont have the same R&D dollars as Honda...

Ask SSFTSX...
Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Team Owner

I looked at the recalls.. it seems not Honda's cameras have the shittiest resolution, they also dont know how to mount it properly...
Old 01-26-2021, 06:14 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The Honda Odyssey minivan is losing its in-car vacuum for the 2022 model year. The Drive reported the loss of the HondaVac first, learning that Honda had to nix it because the supplier who provided the vacuum went out of business.

We asked Honda for confirmation of the news and comment, and a spokesperson sent this in response: “The timing of model year introductions varies from model to model for a number of reasons, some of which are out of our control. We pulled forward the introduction of the model year 2022 Odyssey primarily due to the discontinuation of the HondaVac feature in the Odyssey Elite at the conclusion of the 2021 model year based on a supplier issue.”

So, in addition to the HondaVac disappearing, the 2021 model year Odyssey wasn’t long for the world either. In its place stands the 2022 Odyssey that cannot be had with the in-car vacuum. Honda sourced its vacuum system from a company called Shop-Vac, based out of Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Reports cited by The Drive show that Shop-Vac shuttered its doors back in September last year due to Covid-19-related financial woes. Ever since then, Honda has been on the hunt for a solution to keep its in-car vacuum in the Odyssey.

The Drive reports that Honda still hasn’t found a new supplier yet for the vacuum, but there could be some good news on the horizon. Shop-Vac was recently acquired by a company called GreatSport Tools USA. There’s no guarantee that they’ll restart production of the vacuum, but there’s always a chance. We’ll stay on the lookout to see if the HondaVac ever comes back into production.
2022 Honda Odyssey HondaVac discontinued over supplier issue | Autoblog
Old 01-26-2021, 09:20 AM
AZ Community Team

^ Used to drive through Williamsport, PA to take our daughter to/from RIT up in Rochester. Not much of a town, kinda amusing the Ody vacuum was made there.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:47 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Honda is tweaking its Odyssey lineup for 2023. The automaker is adding a new Sport trim, but it comes at the cost of the LX. The loss of the entry-level trim greatly increases the model's starting price, making the EX the new bottom for the Odyssey line.

When the 2023 Honda Odyssey EX arrives, it will start at $38,635 (all prices include the $1,295 destination charge), which is a bit more than the 2022 variant, which starts at $37,735. However, that's a sizable jump over the 2022 LX's $34,335 price tag.

The new Sport trim will slot between the EX-L and Touring trims. It stands out from the other variants with its unique interior and exterior trim upgrades. The Odyssey Sport receives darkened taillights and black 19-inch wheels on the outside. Further enhancing the Sporty's styling is gloss black trim on the grille, headlight trim, fog light surrounds, door mirrors, and B- and C- pillars.

The blacked-out styling bleeds into the interior, where Honda adds a black headliner and black leather seats that feature contrasting red stitching on the first- and second-row outboard seats. The Sport also receives red accent lighting on the dash, in the footwells, and in the door handles and door pockets.

2023 Model Price (After $1,295 Destination Charge)
Odyssey EX $38,635
Odyssey EX-L $41,705
Odyssey Sport $42,205
Odyssey Touring $45,745
Odyssey Elite $50,765

The Sport is available in Platinum White, Crystal Black Pearl, and Radiant Red Metallic. Sonic Gray Pearl is available on the Odyssey for the first time, and it's available on the Sport, Touring, and Elite trims.

While Honda's rejiggered its lineup for 2023, the engine is not. The same 3.5-liter V6 carries over, producing the same 280 horsepower (208 kilowatts) and 262 pound-feet (355 Newton-meters) of torque. It pairs with Honda's 10-speed automatic with paddle shifters.

Honda is also announcing its Honda Service Pass, designed to cover select maintenance services. Honda will offer it to buyers of certain 2023 Honda models, and it includes services such as oil and filter changes, tire rotation, and multi-point inspections for a vehicle's first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The 2023 Honda Odyssey EX begins arriving at dealers on May 23.
2023 Honda Odyssey Gets New Sport Trim, Entry-Level LX Discontinued (motor1.com)
Old 05-11-2022, 09:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Paddle shifters on a minivan
The whole "Sport" packages on minivans is an amusing concept.
Comfy (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Sorry if i were in the market for a minivan, which i dont think i ever will be. It would be the Sienna or the Pacifica plug in or the KIA equivalent.

The Oddy does nothing for me anymore.
Comfy (05-11-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 08:29 AM

The Carnival looks pretty nice on the road. Reviews pretty much liken it to a Telluride with sliding doors.