Honda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz is dumping its superchargers for turbos in the future. fsttys is right. Some of ya'll are stuck in the 80s. Tech has made turbos incredible. Look at the TT V012 Benzs or turbos added to IS 300s.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Grandpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missmyprelude
If I could afford a Maybach, Bentley, or 911 Turbo, I wouldn't care what powered it. If it broke, I'd toss it out and buy a new one. That being said, these are mostly (all?) twin turbos, which, like I said have done a decent job of keeping the lag down. Not to mention that even without the turbos, the engines in those cars are beasts, so there's enough power on tap even before the turbo kicks in.

Most other cars that use turbos are leaned way toward the sport end of the spectrum. Again, if I was looking for a race car, I would probably look at a turbo. Cheap speed. Who can argue with that?

Now, if I want a car that will be reliable, smooth, and affordable (among other things), I probably won't find what I need with a turbo. Yes, there are a few somewhat worthy choices out there, but the pickings are slim.
Miss Prelude,

You are absolutely right that at the high end of the spectrum, buyers don't care about how the manufacturer makes so much power from their engines. But they do want to make sure that when they spend that kind of money, the car will not shame them by lacking horsepower. Installing turbos is just one method to increase engine output and it is the one manufacturers are increasingly choosing.

Current turbo engine design employs a single turbo for each exhaust manifold (Subaru is the exception). A V8 would require a lot of piping to join the two exhaust manifolds to drive a single turbo (70s and 80s turbo design). There are huge thermal losses having the exhaust flow that distance. Decreasing the distance between the compressor and cylinder increases the efficiency of energy transfer to spin the compressor... reducing turbo lag. Further, with 2 turbos, the turbos need not be as large to produce the same amount of boost, reducing weight and reducing lag. Putting 2 turbos on an I4 engine would require 2 cylinders per turbo or installing the turbos in series. There have been experiements with using a small turbo in series with a large turbo to address spool up in high boost applications, but these have been horrendously expensive. Therefore turbo applications in V12, V8, V6 and H6 engines use 2 turbos and I4 engines only use one.Today, turbo lag in a turbo I4 engine is not any more than in a twin turbo V8 (assuming same turbos, boost and similar output per cyl). Its not the twin turbo that reduces boost lag, its bringing the manifold:turbo ratio down to 1:1 from 2:1.

On the other hand, a turbo will have to boost more pressure in an I4 engine to have the same horsepower as a twin turbo V8 and therefore have more lag (lots of turbo civics on NOPI put out more than 800hp). More boost = larger turbo = increased turbo lag. Conversely, turbo applications in V8, V12 engines run lower boost and get on boost faster. Thereby proving once again, there is no replacement for displacement.

Other developments such as dual ball bearing axles, cryo treatment, variable nozzle technology, ceramic turbines, ceramic coatings, direct injection, microprocessor boost control, graphite lubrication, integrated fuel/ignition/boost management have gone a long way toward increasing throttle response in turbo cars.

That only leaves your perception that turbo cars are 'too fast' and 'too expensive.' Does that mean your bias against turbos is because you like cheap, slow cars?

I'm looking forward to Honda adopting turbos. Honda has always been for me the performance Japanese brand and with Toyota about to release the new Supra, I'm eager to see Honda's response.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caball88
i hope its not true, one of the great things about honda is that they stick with N/A cars(just like BMW). i really appreciate the engineering that is involved in getting more and more power without going the route of forced induction. it would be crazy fast but a little disappointing in my opinion. just look at the new M5 500hp and no turbos. now that is impressive, even tho its a V10 it still produces 100hp/liter and revs to 8500.
Do you not appreciate the engineering the MB puts into its twin-turbo charged V12 motors? and the M5 in my opinion is far from impressive based on how freaking ugly it is i mean honestly.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Honda: Diesel Engine news **Developing V6 (page 1)**

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/newsarchi...?id=4319&pos=1

Honda.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro

I wish that was available here:

62.8mpg highway, 39.8 city and 250 lb-ft of torque...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
good...now bring it here!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 PM
101 years of heartache...

not that i'd know, but according to some friends and Top Gear, the powerband of a diesel is very narrow in a diesel. 250 lb./ft. of torque is not often the output. I honestly don't know what I'm trying to say, but I'm sure if someone explained what they think I'm saying, it'd get my point across.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
not that i'd know, but according to some friends and Top Gear, the powerband of a diesel is very narrow in a diesel. 250 lb./ft. of torque is not often the output. I honestly don't know what I'm trying to say, but I'm sure if someone explained what they think I'm saying, it'd get my point across.
True, but it's still useable. Like the high reving S2000, the trick to a diesel is to keep it in the power band 2-4K. I think redline is only 4500RPMs. That's why 18 wheels are 15 speeds, the power band on a commercial diesel is like 1500RPM - takes a lot of gears to keep a vehicle in that narrow band.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

how much horsepower does this baby have?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:11 AM
Race Director

140HP, but it's the torque that makes the car move.
Of course at 40MPG you can't expect too much performance, 0-60 about 9s.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Being a Honda fanatic from way back into the 70's and driving around a ct70 I'm really dissapointed that we don't have access to all of Honda products. I drive 100 miles a day a would buy be the first to buy one of these. At almost 3x the gas mileage I get now my gas savings would almost make half the payment. Honda is pushing the Accord hybrid but at $33k and only 37 mpgs you can buy a four cyl Accord dx for $15k and get 33 mpg's,,, you can buy a lot of gas for the extra $18k diff. Come on Honda I know your listening,,
Old 01-29-2005, 05:03 AM
Race Director

You might get your wish next year when the clean diesel becomes available and Honda figures out how to meet the emission requirements of the tree hugging Nazis in CA.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda working toward diesels for use in U.S. vehicles - - Source: Automotive News

A Honda Motor Co. executive says the company is studying ways to offer diesel-powered vehicles in the United States. The only thing stopping Honda is its inability to meet U.S. emission regulations, says Michiyoshi Hagino, Honda senior managing director.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
biodiesel........... nuff said.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
40% of all VW's sold in Canada are diesel so I can't see why Honda wouldn't be able to do the same. I know the US market isn't as diesel friendly as Canada is, so if they want to ease into the NA market it's probably best to start here.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
I hate diesel's... Even though they are much more refined lately, I still hate their sound and smoke.

The other day, a brand new Toureg V10 diesel tried to pass me on the highway and you should have seen the cloud of blue smoke that thing made. It's pretty embarrasing to have a brand new $60+k truck that leaves a smoke screen when opened up.
If it was blue smoke you saw then there's something wrong with that car - it should be black. Most cars emit something visible from the tail pipe at WOT. Unless you knew what to listen for you wouldn't know a Euro Accord is diesel or gas.

Something interesting I noticed in that article. It said diesel is 10 cents less per gallon that gas - I thought it was the other way around.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Something interesting I noticed in that article. It said diesel is 10 cents less per gallon that gas - I thought it was the other way around.
For a few years in the late 90s/early 2ks diesel was cheaper than premium gasoline. Now they are about the same.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by charliemike
For a few years in the late 90s/early 2ks diesel was cheaper than premium gasoline. Now they are about the same.
The article said it was cheaper than regular. It's that way in most of Europe because of less taxes. So with some subsidizing and much better milage you can see why 1/2 the cars here are diesel powered.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Diesel is pretty much the same as Heating Oil. Therefore, the price would be more volatile than its chemical composition. During the Winter months (high demand for heating oil) it'll cost as much as Super Unleaded but drop below regular unleaded by Summer (lower demand for heating oil). Prior to the last price hike, diesel cost more at the pump than Super Unleaded here in central NJ.

The mono alkyl ester Zap referred to is probably the next step in home heating and diesel engine solutions. I'm not a big proponent of diesel only because diesel motors had traditionally been loud and relatively weak in the performance. But, MB has been making some great inroads in this arena with their common rail direct injection motors.

That said, I'm still biased in favor of a gasoline engine with Hybrid assist (i.e.: Accord Hybrid, RX400h). But, nothing wrong with an alternate method. It'd be nice if we had a 'Mr. Fusion' as a power source instead.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Another milestone achieved

Honda continues work on cold start, range issues with its fuel-cell vehicles - - YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. engineers have achieved one fuel cell milestone: The Honda FCX fuel cell car operates below the freezing temperature of water -- minus 4 F to be precise.

So the engineers have set a new goal: A fuel cell car that works at minus 22 F. Engineers at Toyota Motor Corp. have set the same goal.

Cold operation is just one technical challenge with which Honda and Toyota engineers are wrestling. Their long-term goal is to create a fuel cell car that is comparable to one powered by an internal combustion engine.

The engineers are giving themselves plenty of time. If all goes well, Honda hopes to sell 50,000 fuel cell vehicles a year in the United States by 2020. Toyota wants to sell 12,000 fuel cell vehicles annually in the United States in the early 2010s.

"Without an improvement to run at minus 30 C (minus 22 F), we can't expand the use of fuel cell cars all over the world," says Yozo Kami, executive chief engineer of Honda R&D Co., Honda's research arm. Kami has led Honda's fuel cell project since 1998.

In search of a better stack

Fuel cells are touted as a green alternative to the internal combustion engine. They create electricity by passing hydrogen through a membrane. Water is the only emission if pure hydrogen is the fuel.

But cold temperatures make fuel cells difficult to start. Cold reduces efficiency and may freeze a fuel cell.

To run the car at minus 22 F, Honda needs a better fuel cell stack, a series of membranes packed in a box about the size of a carry-on suitcase.

A membrane is a thin sheet of special plastic. When hydrogen passes through it, electrons are stripped off, generating electricity. A separator

divides the serially connected membranes, acting as a pathway for the electrons.

When Honda devised its fuel cell stack in 2003 to run the car at minus 4 F, the stack was assembled with a new type of membrane. It enables gaseous hydrogen to pass through at lower temperatures. Honda also replaced thick carbon separators with thinner stamped metal versions.

The new membrane and separator reduced resistance, boosting efficiency and power. Honda engineers are trying to improve the membrane and separator. But for competitive reasons, Kami declined to be specific.

Toyota's FCHV fuel cell car hasn't reached minus 4 F. Toyota won't specify the lowest temperature at which the FCHV operates.

Another challenge: Range

Honda says its other main technical challenge is range. The FCX's cruising range is 270 miles. Honda engineers want to reach 370 miles.

To reach that mileage goal, Honda needs a storage tank that can hold more hydrogen. The current tanks hold hydrogen at about 5,000 pounds per square inch.

Toyota has developed a tank that can store hydrogen at about 10,000 pounds per square inch. It has yet to be installed in a vehicle.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

See this is the type of news that should be coming out of Detroit manufacturers, instead of Japanese ones.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Well to be fair, just because Honda has reached this point now, doesn't mean others are behind Honda.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/400_fcv/

"GM has made great strides in solving many of the challenges inherent in fuel cell technology, including the tendency to freeze and stop working in cold weather. The GM fuel cell's freeze start-up time has decreased to less than 15 seconds for 100% power at minus 20 degrees Celsius."
Old 06-13-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Ok, we got the fuel cell, now where do we get the fuel?

Has there been any breakthroughs in hydrogen manufacturing lately? As we know, it's currently mostly made from natural gas, which sort of negates the non fossil fuel benefits...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:06 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
neat article. thx for posting

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Ok, we got the fuel cell, now where do we get the fuel?

Has there been any breakthroughs in hydrogen manufacturing lately? As we know, it's currently mostly made from natural gas, which sort of negates the non fossil fuel benefits...
if you dont mind to explain a bit to me, how exactly is this process of "manufacturing" hydrogen from our atmospheree done?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is a start....

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=348667
Old 06-20-2005, 04:01 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing no one ever talks about is the highly volatile "hydrogen" gas that is used. If you think gassing up at the pump today is a risky venue with cell phones, smokers, etc... wait until there are "hydrogen" pumps at every gas station. Explosions will become common place until people get smarter (never happen) and there's a fool-proof "hydrogen" pumping systems (idiots always find a way). Never mind the potential danger with everyday traffic accidents...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
One thing no one ever talks about is the highly volatile "hydrogen" gas that is used. If you think gassing up at the pump today is a risky venue with cell phones, smokers, etc... wait until there are "hydrogen" pumps at every gas station. Explosions will become common place until people get smarter (never happen) and there's a fool-proof "hydrogen" pumping systems (idiots always find a way). Never mind the potential danger with everyday traffic accidents...
Actually that's apparently not an issue. I read somewhere that BMW has done testing on breaking hydrogen fuel tanks and the gas simply dissipates. No Hindenburg.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

First consumer fuel cell vehicle ever leased!

Honda delivers first fuel cell-powered vehicle to consumer as part of lease program - - KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

The first consumer took possession of a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle when American Honda Motor Co. leased a Honda FCX to Jon Spallino on Wednesday. Spallino of Redondo Beach, Calif., will lease the $1 million vehicle for two years at $500 a month.

Fuel cells use hydrogen fuel to make electricity, which powers the car.

Honda has leased 13 of the vehicles to municipalities since 2002. Now the company wants feedback from individuals. Only drivers of Honda's natural gas-powered Civic GX were eligible.

Automotive News Staff Reporter Kathy Jackson interviewed Stephen Ellis, fuel cell vehicles manager at Honda.

How did you choose Jon?

We did phone interviews, then I did face-to-face meetings. Jon kept rising to the top because he's a common, normal guy - not extreme.

Will you be leasing more of these vehicles to individuals?

Yes. It will be just a handful, certainly less than 10. We will lease some by the end of this year and into next year.

Will you choose individuals outside California to test the vehicles?

We may go outside California for individual lessees, but California is at the top of the list.

Have you made a determination when fuel cells will be in the hands of individual consumers in mass numbers?

There is no crystal ball on that. There still is the issue of refueling stations and cost. So rather than set a date, we will continue to push ahead and lead the way.

What else are you doing?

We already have a home refueling appliance called Phill for our natural-gas powered Civic GX. We're experimenting with two home refueling stations for fuel cells.

How do the home fuel cell stations work?

They're both at our headquarters in Torrance (Calif.). One makes hydrogen, electricity and heat for the home. The other is a solar-powered station and takes electricity from the sun and water from a pipeline and turns that into hydrogen.

What states are leading the way in expanding the fuel cell infrastructure?

California is leading the way. Florida and New York are making good progress. Michigan will have a key role by nature of the industry there.

Are dealers involved in this at all?

We're not really talking to dealers yet. But a dealership (San Francisco Honda) did consummate the lease to the city of San Francisco. That was the first dealer sale ever.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

This is pretty weak for media coverage imo. A totally unreachable technology financially by the everyday consumer has just been leased, yay for Honda.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:56 PM

"Honda Develops New 1.8l i-VTEC Engine & a New Honda Hybrid System"

source : theautochannel

Tokyo, Japan, July 5, 2005 - (JCN Newswire) - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (LSE: 7267q) today announced that it has developed a new 1.8l i-VTEC engine to be introduced this fall in the new Civic that achieves both more powerful performance and improved fuel economy. The engine employs an intelligent VTEC system that switches the valve timing for maximum efficiency during startup and acceleration to achieve powerful, torquey performance, then delays intake valve closure timing during cruising and other low-load conditions for improved fuel economy. Use of the valve timing control system results in off-the-line acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-liter engine, fuel economy approximately 6% better than the current 1.7-liter Civic engine, making it one of the world's most efficient 1.8-liter engine designs. During cruising, the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine.

Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency. With the i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16%. Combined with comprehensive friction-reducing measures, this results in a significant increase in fuel efficiency for the engine itself.

A DBW (Drive By Wire) system provides high-precision control over the throttle valve while the valve timing is being changed over, ensuring smooth driving performance that leaves the driver unaware of any torque fluctuations. Other innovations include a variable-length intake manifold that delivers optimum inertia effect to further improve intake efficiency and piston oil jets that cool the pistons to suppress engine knock, for powerful torque even at rpm ranges typical in normal driving. The new engine delivers a high level of performance, with maximum output of 103kW (140PS) and maximum torque of 174Nom (17.7kgom). It also delivers cleaner emission performance, employing a 2-bed catalytic converter positioned immediately after the manifold and high-precision air-fuel ratio control to achieve emission levels 75% below 2005 Japanese government standards (based on Honda in-house testing).

In addition, lower block construction resulting in a more rigid engine frame, aluminum rocker arms, high-strength cracked connecting rods, a narrow, silent cam chain, and other innovations make the engine more compact and lightweight. It is both lighter and shorter overall than the current Civic 1.7l engine, and quieter as well. *All values according to Honda in-house calculations

Specifications for the 1.8l i-VTEC engine

Engine type and number Water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder of cylinders Displacement (cc) 1,799 Bore x Stroke (mm) 81.0 x 87.3 Max. Output (kW [PS]/rpm) 103 [140]/6,300 Max. Torque (Nm [kgm]/rpm) 174 [17.7]/4,300 Compression Ratio 10.5

*All values according to Honda in-house calculations
Old 07-05-2005, 12:58 PM

source : thecarconnection

Tokyo, Japan, July 5, 2005 - (JCN Newswire) - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced that it has developed a New Honda Hybrid System, which features a 3-stage i-VTEC engine that employs Honda's intelligent VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system to provide three stages of valve timing (low-rpm, high-rpm, and cylinder idle mode), combined with Honda's IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system that has been made significantly more compact and efficient. The New Honda Hybrid System will be introduced in the all-new Civic Hybrid, to be launched this fall.

The New Honda Hybrid System employs intelligent engine functions and a more efficient IMA system to achieve an approximate 20% increase in system output over the current system(1) and the powerful performance of a 1.8-liter engine while improving fuel economy by 5%(2), reducing the system size by 5% and attainting a world-leading level of emissions performance. The system offers significantly improved performance and fuel economy over the current system.
(1) Current Civic Hybrid system
(2) Compared to current Civic Hybrid when driven in 10-15 mode

The 3-stage i-VTEC engine employs three hydraulic pathways to couple and uncouple five rocker arm assemblies, providing three stages of valve control depending on the driving conditions to achieve a combination of responsive driving and fuel economy. During deceleration when the cylinders are idle, combustion in all four cylinders is halted and the cylinders sealed shut, reducing pumping losses caused by engine aspiration for a 10% improvement in recovery of braking energy compared to the current model(3). Virtually everything possible has been done to reduce friction as well, including the use of aluminum die-cast pistons, which feature low thermal expansion for less friction under high-temperature conditions, ion-plated piston rings, and plateau honing of the cylinder walls for a smoother surface.
(3) Current Civic Hybrid

Honda's independently developed electric motor employs coils with high-density windings and high-performance magnets to attain output 1.5 times that of the current model while maintaining the same size. The inverter used to control motor speed-also independently developed and manufactured by Honda-is integrated with the motor's ECU for more precise digital control, contributing to even greater motor efficiency and fuel economy. Battery output has been increased by around 30% over the current model3, while a more compact, custom designed battery storage box offers increased cooling performance and vibration resistance for improved long-term reliability.

Also, a dynamic regenerative braking system is employed that hydraulically controls the brakes based on the amount of brake regeneration. This permits maximum braking regeneration along with smooth deceleration that conforms to brake-pedal pressure. The air conditioner features a hybrid compressor that is powered by both the engine and the motor. When the engine is in Idle Stop mode the compressor is powered by the motor; if rapid cooling is required it is powered by the engine and motor combined. When the temperature is stable it runs off the motor alone, for both improved comfort and fuel savings.
*All values are based on Honda in-house calculations

New Honda Hybrid System Modes of Operation

Vehicle stationary
The engine is turned off and fuel consumption is zero.

Startup and acceleration
The engine operates in low-speed valve timing mode, with motor assist.

Rapid acceleration
The engine operates in high-speed valve timing mode, with motor assist.

Low-speed cruising
The valves of all four of the engine's cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor alone powers the vehicle.

Gentle acceleration and high-speed cruising
The engine operating in low-speed valve timing mode powers the vehicle.

Deceleration

The valves of all four of the engine's cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor recovers the maximum amount of energy released during deceleration and stores it in the battery.

Code:

Specifications for the New Honda Hybrid System

Power Source Engine Engine type and Water-cooled in-line
number or cylinders 4-cylinders

Displacement 1,339

Borex stroke (mm) 73.0 x 80.0

Electric Electricmotor type AC synchronous drive
motor (Ultra-thin DC brush-
less motor)

Rated voltage (v) 158

Performance Engine Max. output 70[95]/6,000
(kW[PS]/rpm)

Max. torque 123[12.5]/4,500
(Nm[kgm]/rpm)

Electric Max. output 15[20]/2,000
motor (kW[PS]/rpm)

Max.torque 103[10.5]/0~1,160
(Nm[kgm]/rpm)

System Max. output 70+15[95+20]
output (kW[PS]/rpm)

Max.torque 167[17.0]
(Nm[kgm]/rpm)
*All values according to Honda in-house calculations
Old 07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This news is important more for Europe and Japan than the USA market. But it's still interesting nontheless.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Honda Updates the VTEC

Well, hope the repost police don't slap me for this one...

===========

Source: Pistonheads.com

HONDA UPDATES THE VTEC

More power and economy from high-tech engine

Honda has revealed an update to its VTEC engine technology that makes the engine more efficient. The company said that the 1.8-litre version produces as much power as a 2-litre as a result but returns fuel economy figures akin to those of a 1.5-litre lump.

According to Honda, the engine employs an intelligent VTEC system that switches the valve timing for maximum efficiency during startup and acceleration to achieve powerful, torquey performance, then delays intake valve closure timing during cruising and other low-load conditions for improved fuel economy.

Use of the valve timing control system results in off-the-line acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-litre engine, fuel economy better than the current 1.6-litre Civic engine, making it one of the world’s most efficient 1.8-litre engine designs. During cruising, the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-litre engine.

How it works

Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency.

With Honda's new i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16 per cent. Combined with comprehensive friction-reducing measures, this results in a significant increase in fuel efficiency for the engine itself.

A drive by wire system provides high-precision control over the throttle valve while the valve timing is being changed over, ensuring smooth driving performance which, according to Honda, leaves the driver unaware of the resulting torque fluctuation.

Other innovations include a variable-length intake manifold that delivers optimum inertia effect to further improve intake efficiency and piston oil jets that cool the pistons to suppress engine knocking, for powerful torque at rpm ranges typical in normal driving.

While the 1.8-litre engine only delivers some 138bhp and maximum torque of 128lb-ft, it is not hard to see how a bigger engine could deliver some meaty numbers. It also delivers cleaner emission performance, employing a two-bed catalytic converter positioned immediately after the manifold and high-precision air-fuel ratio control to achieve low emission levels.

In addition, lower block construction resulting in a more rigid engine frame, aluminium rocker arms, high-strength cracked connecting rods, a narrow, silent cam chain, and other innovations make the engine more compact and lightweight.

The engine will find its way first into the new Civic.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Race Director

Most of the info already posted in the Civic thread, but since this will probably be added to other engines it's probably worth its own thread.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

I was hoping for a 2.0L unit in the Civic.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Most of the info already posted in the Civic thread, but since this will probably be added to other engines it's probably worth its own thread.
Whew...I avoided the repost smiley!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
I was hoping for a 2.0L unit in the Civic.
The Civic Si will be getting a 2.0L putting out 200hp, should be similar to the K20 in the RSX-S.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Honda is developing a V8 engine **Fukui confirms possibility (page 2)**

The September edition of Motor Trend magazine is reporting that according to rumors, Honda is developing an all aluminum block V8 engine. They are guessing that displacement is between 4.2 and 4.4 liters and of 90 degree configuration which means it's not related to the 3.5L or 3.8L V6 engines from Honda/Acura.

According to the article, the engine is tested in Ridgeline trucks but slated for use first in the next generation Acura RL which will be out in 2010 as a 2011 model. Then it will add it to the next Ridgeline truck in 2011 as 2012 model.

Finally, Honda is working on a new V6 turbodiesel engine for the USA market sometime after the 2007 mandates of low sulfur gas take place. The engine will be used in the Ridgeline and Pilot SUV

Old 07-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If these MYs are true, this engine is about 6 years too late.

Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News