Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
First, consider the 200-hp dohc i-VTEC engine, six-speed manual transmission and limited-slip differential. The current Si offers “only” 160 hp, a five-speed manual and an open diff. So the concept promises to be a better car right out of the box. The European Civic Si already has 200 hp, so if we want to get miffed about that, we have every right. But no other U.S.-market Civic—Si or otherwise—has ever offered as much manufacturer-supplied power or as many gears as this concept promises. And good news: That limited-slip diff means power won’t be wasted spinning the inside tire in the corner. Top it off with a suitable exhaust note, and Honda is halfway there.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda Civic Si concept - - Source: Autoweek

The new Civic Si could return Honda to the glory days of the late ’80s and early ’90s when it ruled the sport compact scene, or at least bring it back as a frontrunner in what has, in the meantime, become a fairly crowded field of sport compact superheroes. Honda has entered an Si in the market recently, but with this concept, Honda is making a loud statement that it is back. Can this new Civic Si return Honda to that glory?

Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hot Rod Honda: Civic Si Concept looks fast just sitting on the show stand - - By MARK VAUGHN - - Source: Autoweek

The new Civic Si could return Honda to the glory days of the late ’80s and early ’90s when it ruled the sport compact scene, or at least bring it back as a frontrunner in what has, in the meantime, become a fairly crowded field of sport compact superheroes.

Honda all but created the modern sport compact scene with the Civic S in 1984, the Si in 1986 and the iconic CRX Si soon after that. (We still love that CRX Si.) Those early subcompact performance Hondas were simple, stylish cars that were lightweight, agile and fast—and remained fun to drive long after they depreciated into an inexpensive used car. Granted, there were sport compacts before the Civic Si (the Mini, the GTI, etc.—we know, please don’t write letters). But the Si created that fast and furious hubbub still with us today.

Then, in the mid-’90s, Honda began to drift away from the spiky-haired, budget boy racer who loved it and toward the more mainstream, mass-market buyer. Honda even identified this buyer (we are not making this up) as a 24-year-old named Jennifer. Other manufacturers stepped in to fill the subcompact performance void.

Honda has entered an Si in the market recently, but with this concept, Honda is making a loud statement that it is back. Can this new Civic Si return Honda to that glory?

This concept and some preliminary specs torn from Honda two weeks before the Chicago show suggest it can, especially since the concept is “90 percent of what the production car will be,” according to a Honda source. Of course, we’re months away from a production version, and the proof is in the piloting, but the numbers are promising.

First, consider the 200-hp dohc i-VTEC engine, six-speed manual transmission and limited-slip differential. The current Si offers “only” 160 hp, a five-speed manual and an open diff. So the concept promises to be a better car right out of the box. The European Civic Si already has 200 hp, so if we want to get miffed about that, we have every right. But no other U.S.-market Civic—Si or otherwise—has ever offered as much manufacturer-supplied power or as many gears as this concept promises. And good news: That limited-slip diff means power won’t be wasted spinning the inside tire in the corner. Top it off with a suitable exhaust note, and Honda is halfway there.

The six-speed transmission may look impressive on the spec sheet, but it is likely in there to impress the EPA more than the target buyer. Corporate Average Fuel Economy ratings are very important to carmakers, and six-speed manuals get better mileage than fives. You never hear a street kid at an import drag race talking about swapping out his five-speed manual for a six.

One big unknown is curb weight—there was none listed for the concept. Horsepower means nada unless you know how much mass it has to haul. The current Si weighs 2782 pounds. That’s more than a 2710-pound Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2593-pound Focus and even 2530-pound Corolla. Let’s hope Honda trimmed something off the beltline to make the most of those 200 ponies.

There was no real suspension used on the concept since it’s just a pusher show car. Suspension on a production Si will most likely be a better-controlled version of the current Civic, which include struts in front and a multilink rear. Purists and poseurs alike mourned the loss of the upper and lower wishbones that used to control wheel travel in Civics; you could really feel the difference, they swore, and we swore with them.

Even if you couldn’t feel the difference, the tie-in with the Formula One cars and the vague belief that Civic suspension was taken from Honda’s racing efforts kept the faithful transfixed. The same engineers who were in the paddock at Monaco and Motegi built this car, was the hope and the assumption. The loss of the wishbones made many feel the Corolla-ization of the Civic had begun. But Honda promises better control of the struts in this next Civic. We will withhold judgment until we drive one.

The concept has 18-inch cast-aluminum wheels with 225/45 R-rated “high-performance” tires. These we can assume will at least be offered on a production version since even the Chevy Cobalt offers a set of 18-inch shoes. Four-wheel discs with four-piston Brembo calipers and cross-drilled rotors are on the concept—we don’t know if all four pistons will make production, but they look nice on the show stand.

Outside, the look is stunning—sharp lines and curved shapes lean eagerly forward like a mini-muscle car rumbling next to the Christmas tree. If the production version looks 90 percent as good as this concept, it won’t be mistaken for a pedestrian grocery fetcher, and certainly not anything from Toyota.

Inside: Well, there was no inside on the concept car… just black felt to hide that there was nothing there. Sort of like the wavy blond hair on Jessica Simpson.

So will the new Si get respect from the kids with spiky hair and baggy pants? Who knows? A vast majority of those kids don’t have any money and currently wait four or five model years until a cool car hits $8,000 or so and then buy it, blindly slapping in a case-blowing turbo. For these enthusiasts, the second-generation RX-7 or any 240SX is what they’re looking for now, with a honkin’ wing slapped on the back acting as an air brake. That was the way the original Civic and Integra became cool cars, when they entered the used-car market and still had solid blocks and tune-able heads.

Regardless, if this concept shows the direction Honda is headed, then it’s a good thing. It represents an about-face from the watering down and mass-marketization of what was the leader in high-tech and fun cars.

We say, welcome back, Honda.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Of Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Specs and Info - - Source: Autoweek

INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY HONDA

Honda Civic Si Concept Makes World Debut at Chicago Auto Show

200HP Civic Si Concept points at future direction for new 2006 Civic Si Coupe

CHICAGO, Feb. 10, 2005 – The Civic Si Concept, making its world debut today at the Chicago Auto Show, provides a strong indication of the styling and performance direction for an all-new production Civic Si Coupe scheduled to debut later this year.

The production Civic Si Coupe will serve as the performance leader for a completely redesigned 2006 model Civic lineup that will feature more emotional styling, added performance and the latest generation of “intelligent” i-VTEC engine technology. The 2006 Civic lineup, launching this fall, will include a 4-door Sedan, a 2-door Coupe and Si Coupe, an even more fuel efficient Civic Hybrid and a natural-gas powered Civic GX.

The Civic Si Concept celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Civic Si legacy in the U.S. and builds on its performance heritage with a 200-horsepower, 16-valve, DOHC

i-VTEC engine with an 8,000 rpm red line, mated to a close ratio 6-speed manual transmission. Helping to put all that power to the ground is a helical-type limited slip differential for improved launch traction and cornering performance. Other performance features of the Civic Si Concept include 18-inch cast aluminum wheels, 225/40R18 high performance tires and 4-wheel disc brakes with large cross-drilled brake rotors and 4-piston Brembo calipers.

“The 2006 Civic Si Coupe will be the most powerful, fastest and fun-to-drive Si we’ve ever put on the street, and the Civic Si Concept sets the direction in terms of its styling, package and performance,” said John Mendel, senior vice president of American Honda. “It’s part of a new family of Civic vehicles that build on the already class-leading values of the Civic in terms of safety, styling, performance and fuel efficiency.”

Designed as an “Advanced Personal Compact,” the Civic Si Concept incorporates a sweeping roofline and ultra-fast windshield rake that highlights the vehicle’s advanced one-motion profile, low and wide stance, and superior aerodynamic performance. The long trunk deck, with its frontward sloping bumper, accents the forward motion conveyed by the overall vehicle shape. Wheel openings have been optimized to minimize the gap between the tire and the body. Special aerodynamic features include a full front and side aero kit, rear deck wing and a lower rear bumper diffuser with an integrated center exhaust system.

The 2006 Civic Si Coupe will be the sixth generation Si, which first appeared as a three-door hatchback in 1986 with subsequent Civic Si models appearing in 1989, 1992, 1999 and 2002. The production Si will make its world debut at the 2005 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in November. The Civic Si Concept was designed at Honda R&D America’s Los Angeles design center.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Front looks like a mini US-Spec Accord and the rear kinda reminds me of Audi.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Might wanna combine this thread with the thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/new-civic-thoughts-296157/
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

I'm in love with new HONDA/ACURA designers......man what a come back for HONDA! in real world and F1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gavriil
Front looks like a mini US-Spec Accord and the rear kinda reminds me of Audi.

Looks more like a TSX front end to me.

Any idea n the engine? Is it the 2L from the RSX-S?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Retired playa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That care actually looks pretty nice... much better than the current Si
Old 02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
The Slim Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That car is HOTTTT!!! I had a 95 civic ex coupe but this one kicks a$$!

Old 02-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I does look a little TT'ish. Nice nonetheless. Lets see how production comes out.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered AssHat

I like the concept. They really got it all right.

Two comments...it needs to be a bit more low-slung (still too much euro-upright like the TSX) and make sure to keep the weight down. Otherwise, the look is good. I even like the spoiler on there (and I usually hate spoilers on cars).
Old 02-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Might wanna combine this thread with the thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296157

That's a thread in Car Talk. Many times we have threads about the same car/s between these two forums. No big deal.

Note to all: This is the Civic concept, not the production Civic. When the production Civic will emerge, it will be entered in this thread
Old 02-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by domn
Looks more like a TSX front end to me.

Any idea n the engine? Is it the 2L from the RSX-S?
It's probably the same (or close to same) 200HP engine from the Euro-Spec Civic. I am not sure if the engine of that and the RSXS are identical.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I like the concept. They really got it all right.

Two comments...it needs to be a bit more low-slung (still too much euro-upright like the TSX) and make sure to keep the weight down. Otherwise, the look is good. I even like the spoiler on there (and I usually hate spoilers on cars).
I feel confident about the weight kept at low levels with this car. Honda is one of the best manufacturers out there that is "weight conscious" with their compact cars.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by gavriil
It's probably the same (or close to same) 200HP engine from the Euro-Spec Civic. I am not sure if the engine of that and the RSXS are identical.

it'll be the new RSX-S engine K20z?. I would imagine. HMC just did the tuning for it and why let it go to waste.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Car looks really nice. Front reminds me of the TSX while the back kindof has a similar look to the Accord Coupe. I could do without the spoiler, but for a concept its fine ... I was hoping that the rumored 2.4L 250hp Civic Type R engine might make it into this concept but I guess that will be reserved for Europe and Asia.

I'm also surprised that Autoweek thinks the car will come with McPherson struts and a multi-link rear since Honda's CEO was quoted as saying the current generation Civic was not doing as well partially because it lacked the double wishbone suspension ... so I took that to mean the new '06 Civics would definitely have a double wishbone again.

In any case, I sure hope Honda keeps the look of this concept the same for the production version of the new Si. Its definitely got some nice looks.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Hot diggity. That's nice!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

fuck honda man, if the front looks like that when it comes to production, i will regret i bought TSX. i know honda and acura are the same company but they need to make the car different. copied the front from TSX and same engine? fuck that
Old 02-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by n3ok318
fuck honda man, if the front looks like that when it comes to production, i will regret i bought TSX. i know honda and acura are the same company but they need to make the car different. copied the front from TSX and same engine? fuck that
Gotta remember in the rest of the world the TSX is the Accord. So Honda is trying to make the Civic and the Accord have a family resemblance.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I like the crisp lines, but sideways it looks like an egg on wheels.

I really don't like that it resembles the Acura TSX in the front. Despite being a North American-only thing, Honda should start separating Acuras from Hondas in the styling department. Leave it to the purists to switch the emblems if they want.

I definitely see the Audi influence on the taillights. Overall it looks good.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I LIKE IT!!!

But will the production version look like that...
Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
From the side it looks like mini 1st gen CL.

Looks good so far. I want to see the interior.

I wonder how badly honda will fuck it up for a production model.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,065 Likes on 765 Posts
tC

Great looking car, a definite step up from the current gen Civic. I think the designers were definitely targeting the Scion tC with this one.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

I bet we're definitely not seeing the green fog lights in production.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
In these days of just in time production, final details might not be known until they start rolling off the assembly line in August. Honda's probably to cheap to even build any pre-production units.

I sure hope the production unit stays close to this concept but like others said a "Delete wing" option would be nice.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 02-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by biker
Honda's probably to cheap to even build any pre-production units.
What do you mean? They had no problem sending out pre-production TLs and RLs for the media to test...
Old 02-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Why is everyone saying it looks like the TSX when it looks a lot like the US-Spec Accord?

Old 02-10-2005, 01:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,065 Likes on 765 Posts
The grill is similar to the Accord, but the headlights are more similar to the TSX.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Instructor

actually it looks a lot like the JDM odyssey

Old 02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by d-rock
actually it looks a lot like the JDM odyssey

If the minivan's grill looked like that of the Accord's then yes.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Liquid Ice

If you look at a few of the past Honda / Acura concepts, especially the ones where they say:

provides a strong indication of the styling and performance direction for an all-new production
It usually means they took a production version of the car and changed a few things here and there to make it more like a concept.

For example, the Acura TL concept which debuted at the NY Auto Show in 2003 looked almost exactly the same as the production MY04 TL except for the rims, and a few other "crazy" features like the video camera side view mirrors, and the air blowers instead of windshield wipers.

This concept Civic will probably be shaped exactly the same. What you probably will not see is the 18" rims (although 17 or 18s might come as a HFP option), the wing (although again it might be a HFP option), the fogs, the Carbon fiber style hood, the blacked out headlights, and the integrated exhaust / rear bumper. Otherwise, I would expect this concept to be pretty damn close to the final design. I think the side profile of the car, much like the current Accord Coupe is way too boring, but some side skirts can probably fix that.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
If you look at a few of the past Honda / Acura concepts, especially the ones where they say:

It usually means they took a production version of the car and changed a few things here and there to make it more like a concept.

For example, the Acura TL concept which debuted at the NY Auto Show in 2003 looked almost exactly the same as the production MY04 TL except for the rims, and a few other "crazy" features like the video camera side view mirrors, and the air blowers instead of windshield wipers.

This concept Civic will probably be shaped exactly the same. What you probably will not see is the 18" rims (although 17 or 18s might come as a HFP option), the wing (although again it might be a HFP option), the fogs, the Carbon fiber style hood, the blacked out headlights, and the integrated exhaust / rear bumper. Otherwise, I would expect this concept to be pretty damn close to the final design. I think the side profile of the car, much like the current Accord Coupe is way too boring, but some side skirts can probably fix that.

Its basically a riced out production Civic.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

According to TOV 17inch, 6MT, 200hp, HLSD are confirmed to make it to production.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

I wonder if it'll still use struts and how much it'll weigh...cause 200hp won't mean much if the new Si is heavier than the outgoing model.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Kabachitare!

Looks like Honda really was thinking about the Scion tC taking away their small car mojo. This concept looks great, but I want to also see what the production version looks like before I give it an A grade.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i wonder what the pricing is gonna be. civics have been overpriced for a while now. 18k for a civic ex? when a scion tc comes loaded for 1-2k less
Old 02-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks like a baby Accord coupe

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News