Dodge: Viper News

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 AM
A Black TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GM says the zr1 gets 22highway, btw some of use with TL's cant get more then 30mpg highway, how does a car with a v8, and much more hp get 32mpg, i understand drive at a steady speed, he must be going not even 60.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ idiot.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Busting some beats...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are all idiots. Get me a Daiwoo and a gallon of gas....Take that Viper.....
Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Beautiful...I drove an 06 Coupe and it was absolutely outrageous...torque like I had never felt before..
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
This will be one rare snake indeed......2009 in general will be a "rare" year for any car.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ZR1 takes my vote. It doesn't bother me how many vette's are out. I have always loved the look and sound of them.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
ZR1 = better car but I'd still go for the Viper if given the choice. You just don't see many of them and they have so much presence. A Corvette could drive through town without anyone giving a second glance, but a Viper will cause a mob at every gas station....
Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
Originally Posted by G
It's amazing how many people seem to choose the inferior car all the time. The new ACR is a better car then the ZR1. Don't believe me, just check the lap times for both at the Ring. Plus, the ACR is tens of thousands of dollars cheaper then the ZR1.
Exactly. The ACR also puts down more power.

I'd take the Viper. It sounds amazing, somewhat rare, and has a harshness to it that I think I would enjoy.

The Vette does nothing for me.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by G
It's amazing how many people seem to choose the inferior car all the time. The new ACR is a better car then the ZR1. Don't believe me, just check the lap times for both at the Ring. Plus, the ACR is tens of thousands of dollars cheaper then the ZR1.
I've already seen the Ring lap videos for both, not just the lap times. The new ACR is a better track car as is, I'll admit.... but take the same R-compounds on the ACR and put them on the ZR1 and then the ZR1 will most likely outrun the ACR. Not to mention they had the SRT team there to dial in the ACR's aerodynamics and suspension specifically for the Ring. I also lost count of how many times I heard the ACR bottoming out - not just the suspension, the car itself. But I won't nitpick about the details too much.... to each his own. Don't get me wrong, I love Vipers, always have since I first saw a Viper Blue/white GTS coupe when I was little. But there isn't a video or laptime out there that would make me choose the ACR over the ZR1.

Tens of thousands dollars less going on Dodge's website right now, the regular SRT-10 base MSRP is $91,220. From google, the ACR MSRPs at $98,000 and the ZR1 is $103,000. Maybe its just me, but at that price stratosphere, a $5,000 difference is nitpicking
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts

Plus, vipers turn heads, vettes don't. now the new zr1 might...
Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257

Plus, vipers turn heads, vettes don't. now the new zr1 might...
Only to someone who knows what they are looking at. Most people would look at the ZR1 and say "Whats with the funny hood?"
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G
Based on what? The ACR uses R compound Michelin Pilot Cup tires and the ZR1 uses run flat Pilot PS2s. The ring times are nearly identical, even with the ACR having a huge tire advantage. The ACR also has the aero advantage, since it was built to be a track car.

Magnusson ran 7:22.4 in the ZR1
Coronel ran 7:22.1 in the ACR

If the ZR1 was running pilot cups or the ACR was running PS2s, the gap would be significant. Sorry, the inferior car is the ACR.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I've already seen the Ring lap videos for both, not just the lap times. The new ACR is a better track car as is, I'll admit.... but take the same R-compounds on the ACR and put them on the ZR1 and then the ZR1 will most likely outrun the ACR. Not to mention they had the SRT team there to dial in the ACR's aerodynamics and suspension specifically for the Ring. I also lost count of how many times I heard the ACR bottoming out - not just the suspension, the car itself. But I won't nitpick about the details too much.... to each his own. Don't get me wrong, I love Vipers, always have since I first saw a Viper Blue/white GTS coupe when I was little. But there isn't a video or laptime out there that would make me choose the ACR over the ZR1.

Tens of thousands dollars less going on Dodge's website right now, the regular SRT-10 base MSRP is $91,220. From google, the ACR MSRPs at $98,000 and the ZR1 is $103,000. Maybe its just me, but at that price stratosphere, a $5,000 difference is nitpicking
"Dial in the aerodynamics"-this is the beauty of this car. Heck, after the new ACR came out, there was an article in the Viper Magazine showing you how to dial it in and what the optimum settings where for general track use. Can you even adjust anything on the ZR1?

This whole competition was based on the cars being production cars. Sure, if you put R compounds on the ZR1 that might change things. But, if I put R compounds on my Viper, that would change things too. Furthermore, let's look at the numbers: the Vette has more horsepower and more torque-yet, the Viper still wins. How's that saying go . . . "Run what you brung?"

Is the car raw and nasty? You bet-that's what makes this car so wonderful. The only electrical nanny that is in this car is the rev limiter. Traction control is based off of your own two feet.

In building the ZR1, Chevy was praised for taking such a leap to build such a car. Wow, it took Chevy 17 years to finally "catch up" with the Viper. Congratulations!

Lastly, I am not meaning this post to be a bash on the ZR1. I like it-but as others said, it looks alsmot exactly like the 30k other vettes that were built this year alone. The vette is a great car. But if you are looking for a purpose built track machine (let's face it, where else can you trully see the beauty of these cars?), then the ACR is the better car.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by Maximized
Magnusson ran 7:22.4 in the ZR1
Coronel ran 7:22.1 in the ACR
7:22.4? Where do you get that? The lap time that i know of is 7:26.4-a huge difference.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by G
7:22.4? Where do you get that? The lap time that i know of is 7:26.4-a huge difference.
Sorry, not so huge.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/28/c...off-ring-time/

If the ZR1 was designed as a track car like the ACR it would knock a considerable amount of time off that (shocks set up for more track use, R compound tires and adjustable splitters for more down force.
Sorry not trying to discredit any thing the Viper ACR offers but the ZR1>
Old 02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by G
In building the ZR1, Chevy was praised for taking such a leap to build such a car. Wow, it took Chevy 17 years to finally "catch up" with the Viper. Congratulations!
Not really. Did you forget about the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Sorry, not so huge.

If the ZR1 was designed as a track car like the ACR it would knock a considerable amount of time off that (shocks set up for more track use, R compound tires and adjustable splitters for more down force.
I wouldn't doubt that on a 7 minute + lap, R compound would be worth 5-7 seconds with a pro drivers.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by G
"Dial in the aerodynamics"-this is the beauty of this car. Heck, after the new ACR came out, there was an article in the Viper Magazine showing you how to dial it in and what the optimum settings where for general track use. Can you even adjust anything on the ZR1?
No. It was meant to not only be a killer on the track but also have superior daily driveability, both of which to rival those of cars that cost over 2x as much. The MR dampers adjust themselves nearly instantaneously depending on road conditions to allow the best combination of both compliance and performance. I will take that any day over any fully adjustable suspension.... but that's just me. Oh, and Ferrari has the same system on their 599, sourced from Delphi (a GM subsidiary) and the same goes for Audi's R8. But what do they know?

This whole competition was based on the cars being production cars. Sure, if you put R compounds on the ZR1 that might change things. But, if I put R compounds on my Viper, that would change things too. Furthermore, let's look at the numbers: the Vette has more horsepower and more torque-yet, the Viper still wins. How's that saying go . . . "Run what you brung?"
Say what now? The ACR is underrated. Along the left side of the page you'll see a dyno chart, and in the middle you'll see a video. Its a bone-stock SRT-10 ACR. 546/510

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Viper...lip-17506.html

Here's the ZR1, 529/507 from the factory:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/24/c...d-at-535-rwhp/

I'll have to congratulate Dodge SRT/ACR team then. For making a track-only oriented car from the start, and being three tenths of a second faster than a ZR1 on a 3-mile long road course, thanks to R-compounds and adjusting the aerodynamics specifically for said track.

Lastly, I am not meaning this post to be a bash on the ZR1. I like it-but as others said, it looks alsmot exactly like the 30k other vettes that were built this year alone. The vette is a great car. But if you are looking for a purpose built track machine (let's face it, where else can you trully see the beauty of these cars?), then the ACR is the better car.
If I'm truly looking for a purpose built track machine, might as well go all out and get a V8 Ariel Atom and absolutely destroy everything else. It pretty much has the same features as the SRT-10 does, and raw? Heh, it doesn't get more raw than the Atom. But I'll agree.... the ACR is the .3/second better car.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that on a 7 minute + lap, R compound would be worth 5-7 seconds with a pro drivers.
Ive seen 5-7 seconds a lap come off on much smaller autocross tracks and other road courses. Id bet it would be at least that.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Sorry, not so huge.

I stand corrected then-didn't know that the ZR1 gained 4 seconds.

Not really. Did you forget about the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06?
Nope, and I have owned a C5Z06-got rid of it to get the Viper. Both cars, the C5 and the C6, were still rated at less HP and TQ then the respective Viper counterparts.

I guess it comes down to brand loyalty on my part-and struggling to get the hype up so that the Viper doesn't die. Do I love the Viper-you bet-hell, I'm working on getting a second. With that said, I have also thought about getting back into a C5Z-it is a great daily driver. Again, I think that the ZR1 is a great car-it just doesn't grab me as much as the Viper does (simply personal opinions).
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post Viper Brand Faces an Uncertain Future

From Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=147426

An in-depth look at Chrysler's bankruptcy filing documents indicates that the Viper brand may not survive beyond next year.

The documents split Chrysler's assets and liabilities into two groups, those belonging to "OldCo" or the old company and New Chrysler, the entity that Italian automaker Fiat would assume.

"The major assets remaining in OldCo would include eight manufacturing facilities, and related machinery and equipment, with a book value of $2.3 billion," according to the declaration of Robert Manzo, which was part of Chrysler's first-day motions. "The [Section] 363 balance sheet analysis anticipates that certain plant and facility assets would be left behind in OldCo and closed by 2010."

The document says OldCo assets and liabilities include the following: Chrysler's Sterling Heights assembly plant, St. Louis North, St. Louis South, Conner, Newark, Twinsburg, Kenosha and Detroit Axle. The Conner plant, located in Detroit, builds the Viper products with about 115 workers.

Robert Manzo is the executive director of Capstone Advisory Group LLC, a financial advisory services firm that says it has expertise in turnaround and crisis management. The firm has been working on-site at Chrysler headquarters since November 2008, according to court documents.

When contacted by Inside Line regarding the fate of Viper in the face of Chrysler's bankruptcy filing, Chrysler spokesman Todd Goyer e-mailed the following statement:

"As previously indicated, Chrysler LLC is evaluating strategic alternatives for the Viper business including the potential sale of the Viper nameplate, Conner Avenue Assembly Plant, and/or associated tooling and resources. During this process Chrysler has been approached by a number of parties interested in purchasing the business.

"Chrysler continues to evaluate these proposals in an effort to maximize the value of the Viper business. No timeline has been established in connection with this process, and Chrysler will not comment on the nature of ongoing discussions or negotiations or confirm the identity of any of the interested parties."
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Like everyone's else halo car, it's no surprise that the Viper would be on the chopping block.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rondog
I swear, I think it was a first gen Viper GTS blue with the white stripes, and it still was the meanest sounding / looking car I've seen in a while. The Viper has the best head turning capability and a rawness to it. Much more than any Corvette. Not to say a Corvette isn't a better driver or anything, I'm just talking about presence.
Yup that's exactly what I was going to say before I saw your post so I'll just quote you =).

The presence of a viper is undeniable.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I love Vipers. No corvette that I have seen on the road, not even the new ZR1, snaps my neck like the old '93 Vipers all the way up to the present day SRTs.

Corvette screams cool car, but dime a dozen. Viper screams exotic...period.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:23 PM
ABPUA5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
viper > corvette

/thread

hence my username..lol the viper has such an amazing presence one can't help but stare.. corvettes.. they're like camry's in the supercar/exotic world. they're everywhere.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Like everyone's else halo car, it's no surprise that the Viper would be on the chopping block.
Halo cars are on the chopping block only with going-Chapter-11 auto brands, but Acura is the only exception.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Halo cars are on the chopping block only with going-Chapter-11 auto brands, but Acura is the only exception.
Lexus LF-A, the GT at Ford, and some AMG and M cars from the Germans could be next.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Dodge: Viper Production Will Continue through 2010

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-chrsyler.html

Today Chrysler reconfirmed its commitment to the Dodge Viper, saying that it will live on despite the company’s bankruptcy and new ownership. The Dodge Viper was scheduled to be eliminated from the company’s lineup as of December of this year and the automaker had searched to find a buyer. Not only will Chrysler continue to produce the sports car at its Conner Avenue Assembly Plant, but the company is no longer interested in selling-off the iconic exotic.

“The Dodge Viper has successfully captured the hearts and imagination of performance enthusiasts around the globe,” said Dodge CEO Mike Accavitti. “We’re extremely proud that the ultimate American-built sports car with its world-class performance will live on as the iconic image leader for the Dodge brand.”

The new fourth-generation Viper SRT10 was launched in 2008 and for ‘09 the Viper boasts a 8.4-liter V10 with 600hp. To date, more than 25,000 Vipers have been built since production began in 1992. Now the only question remains is if Chrysler will look at building a fifth-generation of the iconic V10 machine.

Official release after the jump:

Dodge Viper SRT10 Will Live On

Chrysler Group LLC announced today that production will continue for the legendary Dodge Viper SRT10.

Originally slated to cease production in December 2009, the Chrysler Group Conner Avenue Assembly Plant - the exclusive home of Dodge Viper production since 1995 - will continue to build the V-10 powered sports car. Chrysler Group is no longer pursuing a sale of the Viper business assets.

“The Dodge Viper has successfully captured the hearts and imagination of performance enthusiasts around the globe,” said Mike Accavitti, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dodge Brand. “We’re extremely proud that the ultimate American-built sports car with its world-class performance will live on as the iconic image leader for the Dodge brand.”

Introduced as a concept car in 1989 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Dodge Viper was designed and engineered to test public reaction to the concept of a back-to-basics, high-performance, limited production sports car.

The reaction was so overwhelming that customer orders began to flow in even before the auto show was over. Chrysler Corporation immediately decided to determine the production feasibility on transforming the crowd-pleasing Dodge Viper show car into a limited-production sports car in no more than three years.

In May 1990, after months of intensive study and testing, Chrysler Corporation announced that the Dodge Viper, powered by an aluminum V-10 was a “go.”

Dodge Viper production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant and was moved to Conner Avenue in October 1995. Viper V-10 engine production transferred from Mound Road Engine to Conner Avenue Assembly in May 2001. In 2008, Dodge introduced the all-new, fourth generation Dodge Viper SRT10. With more horsepower, more torque and more than 30 exterior and interior color combinations, the latest Viper gives enthusiasts the performance they expect on the track and off, with more factory customization options than before.

For 2009, the Dodge Viper SRT10 offers outrageous power, with an 8.4-liter, 600-horsepower (450 kW) V-10 engine contributing to blistering acceleration (0-60 mph in less than four seconds, 0-100-0 mph in the low 12-second range), setting an American sports car benchmark.

To date, more than 25,000 Dodge Vipers have been built.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Race Director

It can't be much of a hit to ChryCo's bottom line if they're keeping it. All of the R&D is done and they can milk the current model for the typical 5-6 MY run.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Kinda good news....gives me hope there will be a 2010 Challenger.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd take this over any car in the same price range. I love that mean look
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Hopefully if they get their shit in order they could come out with a next gen 4-5 years from now. They could go to a V8 setup for more of a Corvette competitor with a V10 being an option, Z06/ZR1 territory.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Merged...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Merged...
Oops...sorry. Didn't know there was already a thread on Viper news.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

2010 Dodge Viper ACR 1:33 Edition

Press release...

Numerous special, limited-edition models are planned for the Viper's 2010 model year, including the Dodge Viper ACR 1:33 Edition, which will pay tribute to the new production car lap record set on Nov. 24 at Laguna Seca raceway. The unique two-tone Black Clear Coat/Red Clear Coat exterior color scheme on this model is the opposite form of the original Viper ACR. Interior highlights include piano black console bezels with red gauge highlights complemented with red accent stitching in the seats. Only 33 cars will be produced as 1:33 Edition Viper ACR models.

The 2010 Vooodoo-edition Viper ACR will feature an all Black Clear Coat exterior with a Graphite Driver’s Stripe outlined in red. Only 10 cars will be produced with the unique striping on both the exterior, as well as on the steering wheel.

Additional special edition models will be announced closer to their individual introductions. Pricing on the 2010 Dodge Viper lineup also will be announced at a later date.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

meh.....

I wonder how the Viper will end up after Fiat gets a hold of it
Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
did you not get the memo? 2010 is the last year for the Viper.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Do not like that color combo. Get rid of the red wheels too plz.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by srika
did you not get the memo? 2010 is the last year for the Viper.
Perhaps I should have said the "new Viper".

Clearly Fiat is going to continue to build a car of the Viper type....I just wonder how it will be compared to the current Viper.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Fiat Viper?

Quick Reply: Dodge: Viper News