BMW: 3-Series News

Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I love the fact that BMW has the balls to do things like this.
agreed.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What body part do I have to give for that m3?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
This isnt official but the guy who posted it on the BMW forums is reliable.

Lightweight version of the M3 will be produced.

Name
  • It won't be called M3 CSL.
  • Instead, BMW will either call it "M3 GT4 Street" or "M3 GT".
Engine | Drivetrain
  • Naturally aspirated engine with an increased displacement of 4,400 cc (based on the S65).
  • At least 450 hp, likely more. (445 HP)
  • No information regarding KERS (KERS will likely debut in the F10 M5)
  • 7 speed DCT only, no manual transmission.
  • 'State of the art' exhaust system, but not Akrapovic.- (ARVIN MERITOR /w/200-cell race cats and 2 resonators)
Chassis | Brakes | Aerodynamics:
  • Brembo brakes (6 pistons front - 4 pistons rear) with steel brake discs. (365mm front, 345mm rear SLOTTED DISCS) Ceramic composite brakes optionally available.
  • Weight reduction of 100 kg (220 lbs) compared to E92 M3, maybe even more. (due to the removal of the rear seat and the switch to lighter RECARO front race seats)
  • Available as a 2 seater. However, rear seats are optionally available.
  • Rollbars standard (there's a delete option).
  • Adjustable front splitter. (made of ABS plastic)
  • Adjustable mechanical suspension, no EDC. (SACHS)
  • 25 mm lower compared to E92 M3
  • Same width as the E92 M3.
  • Fantastic new wheels. (BBS lightweight cast flow formed MESH)
  • New 'state of the art' seats. (RECARO)
General information

• Nuerburgring laptime: 7:40 min
  • Not available through BMW dealer network, but directly from BMW Motorsport.
  • Street legal (of course).
  • Exclusively painted in Inka Orange (a hommage to early BMW race and sports cars). Availability of other colors at a later date.
  • The car was tested secretly in France and on a private race track (likely Miramas).
  • It will compete with the 911 GT3.
  • Limited Production (some report 25 units per year).
  • Price: Unknown, but less than the price for an 911 GT3. ($110,000 EUROS)
Note: There's no information as to its availability in the U.S. yet. (NOT AVAILABLE IN THE U.S.A.)
Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
^ So, would this be a "CSL" M3...? Or is that different...?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah
^ So, would this be a "CSL" M3...? Or is that different...?

Name
Its more of a track ready version it seems instead of a CSL version.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Name
Its more of a track ready version it seems instead of a CSL version.

Scuse me while I slap myself for -age in reading...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Nice, I look forward to see how it'll look like but more importantly what it'll be priced at.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Factoids:
  • The price of the BMW M3 GTS with the features shown is expected to be EUR 115,000.- for delivery in Germany, including 19% VAT.
  • The first vehicles are due to be supplied in May 2010.
  • The first vehicles to be produced will be those for individual registration in Germany
  • Registrations in other countries will be possible from summer 2010

Interview with BMW M Manager Dr. Segler: https://www.m-power.com/_open/b/edit...d=2021&lang=en

Interview with BMW M Aerodynamics pointman, Markus Schadow: https://www.m-power.com/_open/b/edit...d=2018&lang=en

From the BMW YouTube channel:

<object width="630" height="385">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7G6K-i4soQ&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="630" height="385"></object>

Source: https://www.m-power.com/_open/b/home.jsp?lang=en <!-- / message --> <!-- attachments -->
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
That is a hefty price tag
Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the color, very much like a Porsche GT3 RS....great job BMW here for offering this, even with the hefty price tag.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
What's with the lip spoiler plus the wing?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Not a fan at all. More HP and lower weight are always great, but it looks a little tacky.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
You know it's an old model year when they start offering stuff like this...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release for the M3 GTS...

BMW M GmbH now offers a truly outstanding performer based on the BMW M3 Coupé also ideal for Clubsport events - exactly the right car for the truly discerning customer demanding the very utmost in terms of power and performance. The BMW M3 GTS is largely hand-built by the most skilled craftsmen at BMW M GmbH as a perfectly harmonised package of outstanding modifications, with production exclusively to the customer's personal order. Focused on motorsport, the modifications comprise both the drivetrain, the suspension and the body of the car, as well as its interior. Market launch of the BMW M3 GTS will be in spring 2010.

Offering this truly exclusive model for the genuine motorsport enthusiast, BMW M GmbH is continuing a great tradition introduced on former generations of the BMW M3. Once again, the outstanding sports potential of the BMW M3 is being consistently enhanced and upgraded to an even higher level, the customer benefiting from the Company's wide range of know-how in the development and production of racing cars. Through its race-oriented modifications enhancing both performance and safety, the BMW M3 GTS is ready to go in Clubsport events on the track and comes with the option for homologation on the road. So that the driver is able to make his way to the race track in the very same car he will use for racing.

Consistent lightweight construction, adjustable aerodynamic units, an increase in engine size and output on the V8 high-speed power unit and suspension technology meeting all the requirements of motorsport - all this gives the BMW M3 GTS a top position among high-performance cars built for Clubsport racing. Unladen weight according to the DIN standard is less than 1,500 kg (3,300 lb), the lightweight body comes with special mounts for six-point seat belts and a rollcage fitted behind the B-pillar.

Through its design and construction, the materials used and its special equipment, the BMW M3 GTS is a lightweight performer all the way, offering a genuine motorsport driving experience in every respect. In addition to the carbon fibre roof already featured as standard on the BMW M3, weight is consistently optimised by features such as silencers made of titanium, the extra-light centre console and door linings, the omission of rear seats, automatic air conditioning and an audio system, as well as sound insulation tailored specifically to this very special model.

The eight-cylinder power unit of the BMW M3 GTS enlarged in size to 4.4 litres and boosted in output to some 450 hp boasts construction principles and technical details carried over directly from motorsport. A supreme surge of ongoing power throughout a wide range of engine speed characterises the outstanding performance of the V8 with its high-speed concept. The features typical of a motorsport engine include the crankcase made of a special aluminium-silicon alloy and constructed in bedplate design, individual throttle butterflies, anti-knock sensors with ion flow technology, and, wet sump oil supply optimised for supreme driving dynamics.

Power is transmitted in the BMW M3 GTS by the M double-clutch gearbox with Drivelogic also available as an option on the regular production model. This seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic gearbox follows a principle also developed for motorsport, shifting gears without the slightest interruption of engine power. The transmission was developed specifically for a particularly powerful high-speed engine and offers ideal qualities for truly dynamic acceleration at all times. The gearshift characteristics on the seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic have been tailored specifically to the modified power unit of the BMW M3 GTS and the driver is able to shift gears both through the selector lever on the centre console and through special M shift paddles on the steering wheel.

To convey the supreme power of the engine to the road in equally supreme style even under the most extreme conditions, the BMW M3 GTS comes with suspension technology likewise derived from the highest realms of motorsport. While the suspension is based on the front and rear axle of the BMW M3 Coupé, the rear axle subframe is bolted firmly in position and the suspension features adjustment threads on the dampers for individual variation of the inbound and rebound strokes.

The high-performance brake system of the BMW M3 GTS features fixed callipers with six pistons up front and four pistons on the rear wheels. The race-oriented set-up of DSC Dynamic Stability Control naturally considers the supreme dynamic potential of the BMW M3 GTS. Different-sized tyres front and rear running on 19-inch M light-alloy Competition rims in double-spoke design ensure optimum transmission of acceleration and brake forces to the road.

To optimise the flow of air and adjust the car's downforce as required, the BMW M3 GTS comes with a race-oriented front air dam and rear wing. This allows appropriate adjustment of the car's aerodynamic qualities in motorsport and for other purposes, tailored to the specific profile of the respective track. The air guidance units on the front air dam, for example, may be varied in their geometry, just like the position of the rear wing based on the wing already featured on the BMW 320si raced in the WTCC World Touring Car Championship.

Exterior features such as the BMW kidney grille and the gills at the side finished in chrome on the regular BMW M3 come in special dark eloxy-plated chrome on the BMW M3 GTS.

The interior of the BMW M3 GTS clearly reflects the focus on supreme performance and safety on the race track. The interior features include classic bucket seats, interior trim in carbon and an M steering wheel finished in alcantara. The door and side panels at the rear also come in Alcantara, while six-point seat belts delivered with the car for subsequent use, a fire extinguisher and preparation for an emergency-off switch in motorsport round off the wide range of special features inside the car.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...-new-2011-F30/

BMW 3-series: The new 2011 f30

revealing new spy photos of the next bmw 3-series have landed in our inbox today. Despite only recently being facelifted, work is well underway in munich to develop the next 3-series, due in a motorway fast lane near you in three years' time.

we weren't expecting to see a new bmw 3-series for a while yet, why now?

the new 3-series family – internally codenamed f30 – has been moved forward because of a slump in sales of the current model. Car understands sales nosedived by 40% in the first six months of 2009, a cataclysmic drop which sparked change in bavaria.

Hence the new three project has been fast-tracked by a year, with a launch pencilled in for the 2011 frankfurt motor show.
Our spies in germany caught this early car being towed on a trailer, revealing a little about the next 3-series styling. Strip away the swirly-whirly disguise, and we're told it will look quite different – despite being signed off by former design chief chris bangle before he retired. Also expect influences from new styling boss adrian van hooydonk’s 2007 cs concept.
so this is a cooking 3-series, not the m3?

you got it! We have, however, learned a fair bit about the new sporting saloon of choice. Gone is the 4.0-litre v8 from today's m3, replaced with a straight six twin-turbocharged unit with direct injection. The engine swap not only cuts emissions, but saves weight too. Power remains unchanged at 414bhp, but even sharper acceleration is promised thanks to an upgraded dual-clutch gearbox available only to m3 customers.
what about the rest of the f30 3-series line-up?

further down the model range, the 3.0-litre inline six powerplant features a couple more times. The 335i makes a comeback, although it loses a turbo and power drops to around 280bhp to make room for a completely new car, the 340i. This one will have a pair of blowers, which help to muster 360bhp.
The other petrol engines will be four-cylinder turbocharged units displacing either 1.6 or 2.0 litres. High-performance diesels will also feature, with a 204bhp 323d and a 306bhp 335d appearing in the new 2011 f30 family line-up. Bmw expects most models to be fitted with the optional eight-speed automatic transmission complete with stop-start technology.
how about a 3-series gt version, like the 5-series gran turismo?

we are expecting bmw to produce a 3gt, akin to the 5gt. There will also be another 3-series convertible, but not with a folding hardtop like the current car. In an effort to save valuable kilograms, a canvas roof will make a comeback for the new topless 3-series.
Other technology that may appear in the range includes optional four-wheel drive, mild hybrid power and maybe even a plug-in hybrid.
So, a strong line-up for the top-selling bmw. We'll look forward to seeing the lines under that disguise over the coming months...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I was hoping (and I could have sworn I read it somewhere) that the 7 speed Dual clutch would eventually find its down to 'lesser' 3 series models. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I was hoping (and I could have sworn I read it somewhere) that the 7 speed Dual clutch would eventually find its down to 'lesser' 3 series models. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

It already has overseas. The U.S just gets shafted.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by (Cj)

Weight reduction, FI, and dual clutch bores ya?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
dont like the 335 losign power. not cool
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Weight reduction, FI, and dual clutch bores ya?
haha, I was expecting more. FI isn't new in the segment, and Audi will have DSG for cheaper (considering BMW will only make it available on the M). But weight reduction is good.

What's really boring is a new 4 cyl, same 328i, and the 335i losing power. Knowing BMW, they will probably price the less powerful 335i the same as the current price of the 300 hp 335i. The 340i will cost even more, and the M3 will probably cost more too. Not cool. If they were going to make the 335i the standard engine for less than $35K in the US I think I would be more excited.

Frankly I think the rumors surrounding the next G and IS are more interesting.

Originally Posted by phee
dont like the 335 losign power. not cool
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I doubt it about the price. Price hasnt changed all that much even from the 325/330 days.

Currently:
328 = 230hp
335 = 300hp

They will replace those two with
335i = 280hp
340i - 360hp

And if they do well with weight reduction then i doubt the 335i will lose much performance compared to the current one.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I doubt it about the price. Price hasnt changed all that much even from the 325/330 days.

Currently:
328 = 230hp
335 = 300hp

They will replace those two with
335i = 280hp
340i - 360hp

And if they do well with weight reduction then i doubt the 335i will lose much performance compared to the current one.
BMW has been upping base prices and option prices, even without making changes to the actual models. So I expect higher prices.

Oh and thanks for clarifying, I didn't realize that the 335 was replacing the 328i, that makes a big difference. Still not wowing, but not as much haha

For comparisons sake the next G is rumored to have DI and about 340hp, so it'll be interesting to see comparos of the new 340i and new G.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Wait, I thought the sky was falling and all car manufactures were going to FWD, with nothing buy 4 bangers and hybrids?

How could BMW possibly release a car like the 340 and continue with a next gen M3?

Or was the sky only falling at Honda headquarters?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Wait, I thought the sky was falling and all car manufactures were going to FWD, with nothing buy 4 bangers and hybrids?

How could BMW possibly release a car like the 340 and continue with a next gen M3?

Or was the sky only falling at Honda headquarters?
No, Audi is doing it too. Going to a smaller A4 with turbo 4s.

Maybe BMW thinks they can sell a car Audi can't.

Plus maybe this means they're bringing over more 1er models?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Forgot where i read it but BMW planned to bring a four-cylinder turbocharged 3-series to the States.

Such thing has having too many options?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Forgot where i read it but BMW planned to bring a four-cylinder turbocharged 3-series to the States.

Such thing has having too many options?
Well it says in the above article they are going to sell a turbo 4. I don't know if they'll be selling it here though. It is kinda implied since most of the other engines talked about in that article are gonna make it here. Maybe a turbo 4 with 220hp is gonna replace the 328i (or at least fill the low 30 price range)? Seems logical enough to me. The new 335 will probably be in the mid to upper 30s, the new 340i will probably be in the low to mid 40s (to compete with the S4 I presume).
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Maybe E92 prices will plummet after the F30 comes out!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Maybe E92 prices will plummet after the F30 comes out!!
x2
Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
No, Audi is doing it too. Going to a smaller A4 with turbo 4s.

Maybe BMW thinks they can sell a car Audi can't.

Plus maybe this means they're bringing over more 1er models?
My point is, they're not abandonng performance and neither is Audi. Sure they're offering smaller engines in some models but power is going up in some cases and they're continuing with they're performance lines.

If the sky was falling the M3 would have been cancelled and the 340 would never be made. Seems they'll offer something for everyone.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
There's no way to know what will actually come out. Having a 340i with 340+ HP makes no sense when the M4 has 414HP, especially in the US. Having a new model will not solve BMWs (or anyone elses) sales woes. It will take a vibrant economy to do that.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:12 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
My point is, they're not abandonng performance and neither is Audi. Sure they're offering smaller engines in some models but power is going up in some cases and they're continuing with they're performance lines.

If the sky was falling the M3 would have been cancelled and the 340 would never be made. Seems they'll offer something for everyone.
High performance is the very cornerstone for luxury auto brands. So don't expect BMW, MB, Audi, etc. to cut back on horsepowers in upcoming vehicles, even if the engine displacements have been reduced.

However, Acura has fought a losing battle with high power engines. With high performance now out of the window, it is the right move for Acura to stop wasting resources going after the so-called "Tier-1" luxury brands.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
am i the only one that thinks that a base engine with 300+ HP is too much power for certain drivers? im just a bit concerned when i see elderly women driving around G37s, esp. when they are behind me on on-ramps, looking to the left for merging cars with their foot pegged to the gas.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
am i the only one that thinks that a base engine with 300+ HP is too much power for certain drivers? im just a bit concerned when i see elderly women driving around G37s, esp. when they are behind me on on-ramps, looking to the left for merging cars with their foot pegged to the gas.
Where do you live? I haven't noticed G37's being the car of choice for old ladies around me. Then again, what do you call "elderly"? 40?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

i rather see an elderly woman that drives slow than some youngsters thinking they r race car drivers weaving around and goin way over the speed limit

back on topic...i can't keep up with how many 3 series bmw has...how many r there gona be? 3 total in the states? a 4cyl, 335 and 340....than a couple diesels in europe?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

The base engine will probably be a 4 cylinder so you can stop worrying . FWIW Infiniti will be bringing a 4 cyl G to the US also, so I'm sure soon most luxury "sport" sedans on the roads are gonna be 4 cylinders (new BMW 318, Acura TSX, Infiniti G25, Audi A4, Lexus HS250 etc etc).

@dom The only luxury brand cutting back in a significant way that I see is Acura. Lexus is expanding their F marque; BMW, Audi, and Merc are still making Ms, RSs, and AMGs; Infiniti is about to come out with a 400hp M, and the next G is rumored to have up to 340hp; so as far as I see it performance is still alive and well in the luxury car market. Well alive every except Acura.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Where do you live? I haven't noticed G37's being the car of choice for old ladies around me. Then again, what do you call "elderly"? 40?
50/50 manhattan & westchester county. elderly is 50/60. i see G37s day in a day out, usually driven by baby boomers. most middle aged women around here do not work, and they usually have luxury awd sedans - 335xi, G37x, or A4.

and its scary to see them merging on and off of the windy 1920s parkways in 300+ HP cars.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
i rather see an elderly woman that drives slow than some youngsters thinking they r race car drivers weaving around and goin way over the speed limit

back on topic...i can't keep up with how many 3 series bmw has...how many r there gona be? 3 total in the states? a 4cyl, 335 and 340....than a couple diesels in europe?
Also the 335d (diesel) in the States.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7wh2FixhXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzDOpVasHM
Old 11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Sick. Was the M3 GTR the same deal as the new GTS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW: 3-Series News