Aston Martin: Vantage News

Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
Post Top Gear's James May Reviews N400...

From Top Gear...

There are two ways of looking at the Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400. It could be a properly sorted, road-legal version of the N24 racer, which hitherto could be registered with the DVLA only by adding a handbrake, a horn and some numberplates. I have extensive experience of driving that car on real roads and would respectfully suggest that you'd be off your ruddy rocker to even consider it.

I prefer to think of the N400 as one of the growing number of sharpened-up, weight-pared special editions of existing supercars, in the mould of the Ferrari F430 Scuderia, the Lambo Gallardo Superleggera and the 911 GT3 RS; a road car with race pretensions, rather than the other way around.

The engine, for example, is the uprated N24's, with 400bhp instead of the regular 380, while torque is up to 310lb ft. The springing and damping at both ends are considerably stiffer, there are bigger anti-roll bars and special ultralight wheels.

Although Aston has resisted the fashion for stupid stickers down the flanks, the N400 is rightly available in three special colours: Lightning Silver, Bergwerk Black, and this one, Karussell Orange, which suits the V8's soft shape perfectly, even if it can look alarmingly close to the brown end of the spectrum in certain light.

And it is, of course, more expensive at £94,000. But then, under the bonnet, and in amongst all the German writing, is a plaque proclaiming it to have been hand-built in England. Its papers are also in order, so you will know which of the limited run of 240 you have.

However, and like all its rivals, it can't really claim to be an uncompromised race-bred machine, which is to its eternal credit. The seats may be thinner and more snug than the standard ones, but they are still trimmed, like the rest of the cabin, in aromatic leather, and they still move around on electric motors.

There is air-conditioning, a decent radio, cruise control, carpets, and it will eventually be offered in right-hand drive. The windows open. It is even available as one of 240 convertibles too, for £102,000.

There are door pockets, normal seat belts, a glovebox, and the usual Aston bold stitching highlights. And this brings me to the difficult bit. There on the lid of the central cubby, picked out in contrasting orange thread, is - and I can hardly bring myself to write this - a map of the Nürburgring.

I've often thought that nothing dampens my enthusiasm for a new car quite like the revelation that it's been tested at the Nürburgring. But now I discover that a diagram of the chuffing place is even more demoralising. The bastards have been out there trying to shave half a second off the lap time and no good will come of it, you mark my words. The Nürburgring will be the first establishment to be closed down in May's Britain.

What use is this map? The corners aren't named, so it would be quite difficult to follow during a lap, especially as it's well out of the line of sight and often under your elbow. A map showing the location of John Lewis's soft furnishings department would be no more useless.

Apart from anything else, if you don't know what the Nürburgring is, why it's significant to this car and roughly what it looks like, the impression is merely that the trimmer practised on the centre console before tackling that tricky bit round the instrument binnacle. And you're going to have to explain to your passengers why your focussed, high-powered enthusiasts' limited-edition supercar has embroidery in it.

Still, even if the N400 isn't noticeably quicker than the standard car, the engine is magnificent, giving a curious little clatter at tick-over and enough proper mechanical noise during use to remind you that this is a real engine working hard.

At just below 4,000rpm, there is a harmonic sweet spot that delivers a brief buzz to the coccyx, which is strangely satisfying. Meanwhile, in automatic mode, the optional paddle-shift of my car delivers more of a light thump in the guts at every change up. It really doesn't work as a self-shifter.

Even in manual mode, a great deal of care is needed with the throttle to smooth the changes. It's perfectly possible to hold the pedal flat and simply plip the paddles, but only if you enjoy the sensation of being struck between the shoulder blades with a leather mallet. I'd stick with Aston's chunky but dependable regular manual gearbox, and spend the £3,000 demanded for Sportshift on something more useful. Coat hangers. Anything.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to stick with the standard car altogether. I appreciate the allure of the race-tuned suspension, and what a good boast it is down the pub, but in reality, it's just too hard. In fairness, there is a button marked 'comfort' on the fascia; sadly, when I pressed it, absolutely nothing happened. I'm pretty convinced it's just a button with a small light bulb behind it.

And it's not just that the ride is a mess, especially at low speed, or that the dashboard creaks alarmingly in protest. The combination of fat rubber and no give makes the N400 squirm about on poor surfaces. This problem is not quite as apparent as it was in the N24, but that's a bit like saying Joan of Arc didn't die as horribly as Edward II. I also sense that the new set-up leads to slightly disconcerting initial understeer in fast, fairly tight corners.

All in all, it seems a high price to pay for the knowledge that your Aston isn't just a regular road car, but one that benefits directly from experience at the racetrack. To my mind, it doesn't, and as the best bit of the N400 - the uprated engine - will be available on the standard car soon, it would make more sense to wait for that.

What really worries me, though, is that Aston Martin appears to be degenerating into a maker of special editions of its existing cars. We've had the DBS, the DB9 LM and now this. I know there is a historical precedent for race-derived Astons dating back to the Fifties, but there's a historical precedent for bear-baiting and morris dancing as well.

In my lifetime, great Astons were the original V8, the Nineties V8 Coupe, and the DB7 Vantage convertible; caddish GTs for rotters with floppy hair who thought the Nürburgring was a rally with bunting and singing, not focussed tools for crew-cut fools who think Nomex is acceptable.

Am I the only person who feels like this?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Way to go yummy, if I were a mod, I'd fix your image tags and then i'd ban you for messing them up in the first place.

And to AM pictures no less!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
ROFL ... Old news. He was so hot in the AM he had that he was driving naked around the Italy and Switzerland ...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
ROFL ... Old news. He was so hot in the AM he had that he was driving naked around the Italy and Switzerland ...
That was a good ep.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
That was a good ep.
ROFL ... "the Italy" ... Proofreading FTL on my part.

That was a great episode. Clarkson's Gallardo was awesome.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First Drive: Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS

The Best Aston Martin Ever

By Andrew Frankel, Contributor
Date posted: 03-25-2008

The Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS is a car to make you sweat on a cold day. Its acceleration is not unmanageable but it lives in a place right on the outer edge of your comfort zone. Instead of looking eagerly at the instruments to see how fast you're traveling, you actively try quite hard not to think about it.

As we rocket down the long, long, long straightaway at the Paul Ricard Circuit here in the sunny bit of wintry France, you wonder if there is any point returning your hand to the steering wheel for that ever-so-brief pause between feeding this car's insatiable appetite for gears with the shift lever. You do anyway, because guiding this thing with just one hand on the helm seems a long way from a good idea.

As you reach the end of the 1.1-mile straight, it's clear that very little work has been done on the car's aerodynamics because the steering is worryingly light and the car starts to wander across the track.

Bloody hell. Six hundred horsepower and $300,000. The Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS is not for the faint of heart.

The 600-hp Barrier
Because the car you're looking at is the only Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS currently in existence and has been designed as a concept car to sit on a show stand and not rocket up the public road, it is entirely illegal on the road and can, therefore, only be driven on a test track. But unlike most concept cars — whose doors start to fall off if you drive them at much more than 30 mph — this one is still yelling for more when we have to brake for the corner at the end of the back straight at — conservatively — 175 mph. It'll go 200 mph if you have enough room.

At its most basic (as it is described on the tin, in a manner of speaking), this is an Aston Vantage with its 4.3-liter V8 replaced by the 6.0-liter V12 used by the Aston Martin DB9 and Aston Martin DBS. But describing this car as a Vantage with a V12 motor is like calling Michelangelo a handy interior decorator — true, but not exactly to the point.

As we described recently in our First Look, the V12 Vantage RS is so much more than this. For a start, the engine is neither the 450-hp V12 used in the DB9 nor the 510-hp version used by the DBS. Instead the RS features a full race engine with a whole host of expensive modifications from forged pistons to dry sump lubrication that allow it to pump out a mighty 600 hp.

The English Like Hot Rods, Too
It's hard to know just when 600 hp became the standard of measure in high performance. After all, General Motors and Mercedes-Benz AMG just recently stepped up with new 500-hp V8s to match the 500-hp Dodge V10. And now the 600-hp 2008 Dodge Viper ACR has been followed by the supercharged 600-hp Corvette ZR1. It's amazing that Aston Martin has been able to create its own entry in this splinter-size segment in just a few short months since last fall.

Though few speak out in public, the motor industry is not short of those who say that Aston Martin is going to find life hard now that it has returned to private ownership some 17 years after the company was sold to Ford in an almost moribund condition.

So Aston Martin has sought to make a small but significant gesture to those who claim that it was only as good as the Blue Oval behind it, and created a couple of limited-production cars in recent months. It also makes good business sense, as Lamborghini has shown us that specialty models keep a nameplate in the spotlight where the increasing number of millionaires in formerly overlooked corners of the globe can find it.

Fortunately Aston Martin CEO Dr. Ulrich Bez learned his chops while directing engineering at Porsche, BMW M and then Daewoo, so he has ensured that Aston Martin has invested in the right kind of hardware to serve it well in the long run, like its all-aluminum chassis architecture, the 4.3-liter V8 and the 6.0-liter V12.

All this makes the Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS the most extraordinary road car ever to display the winged badge of Aston Martin on its nose.

Power and (Less) Weight
But it's best not to be thinking such thoughts at the end of the long straight at Paul Ricard High Speed Test Track (HSTT), now a test facility after a long history as the site of races for Formula 1 and other road racing series.

You tread on the V12 Vantage's brake and then feel the pedal sink disconcertingly under your foot with little sign of any meaningful retardation. Then suddenly the temperature of the carbon-ceramic discs hits the optimum operating zone and the nose of the car dips, stability returns and your excess speed is discarded in an instant.

Given its early stage of development and the weight of the huge V12 engine in the nose of a car scaled for a V8, the Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS is astonishingly good in the corners. The steering feels precise and reassuringly heavy, guiding the nose of the car with unquestioned accuracy. Once in the corner, the Vantage RS feels neutral, progressive and, above all else, on your side.

It helps that the V12 Vantage does not weigh much more than a V8 Vantage. In fact, it weighs 287 pounds less than the 3,594-pound V8 Vantage thanks to the removal of things you don't need on the track, like air-conditioning, airbags and a chunk of acoustic insulation. A not-insubstantial weight saving also came from the use of carbon fiber for the hood, door liners and trunk lid.

Figure It Out
To put this in perspective, imagine a car weighing the same as a Ford Mondeo, only with the same power as the Aston Martin DBR9 racing car that won the GT category at the 24 Hours of Le Mans last year. You might expect the result to be certifiably insane. And you'd be right.

We estimate acceleration to 60 mph is around 3.5 seconds, with no more than the same amount of time again being required to get from 60 to 100 mph. So that's zero to 100 mph in a nice, round 7 seconds — which, as you will have noticed, is a perfectly respectable 0-60-mph time for most conventional performance cars.

And while the V12 in a DB9 or DBS sounds wonderfully invigorating at full throttle, this one is nothing less than savage. If you merely brush the accelerator while idling at a standstill, the V12 barks its approval. Give the pedal a proper stab and it will emit a howl of such ferocity that it makes you want to duck.

Indeed the Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS is an entirely intimidating car. It could land you in more trouble than you could conceive in less time than you could imagine, but only if you were treating the car with less than the respect it deserves.

You must be constantly aware not only of its power but also of its short wheelbase and the fact that traction control is provided by your right foot alone. If you aren't, then frankly you deserve what's coming. If you look after it, it will look after you.

The Competitive Spirit
The V12 Vantage RS is a new breed for Aston Martin. Even if you gaze into the mists of times, you'll find that despite the very sporting image of the company, it has mainly busied itself with building fast touring cars, more cruisers than bruisers. The normal Aston Martin V8 Vantage is pleasingly sporting but still very much an everyday, all-purpose machine, while the flagship Aston Martin DBS is clearly a grand touring car at heart, though admittedly a fairly rapid one.

Aston Martin's V12 Vantage RS is none of these things. It is a track-inspired weapon for the uncompromising driver. Much like Ferrari and Porsche, not to mention Aston Martin itself during the 1950s, Dr. Ulrich Bez's company is building its reputation on motorsports. Wherever you find sports car racing, you'll find the Aston Martin badge, from the 24 Hours of Le Mans to the FIA's GT4 series for production-based sports cars. The Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS bridges the gap between the company's racing cars and its road cars, much like the 1961 Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato, a car now worth as much as $4 million.

Aston Martin still hasn't made a final decision, but we can expect a production run of perhaps as many as 600 cars to begin this summer at a price of about $300,000. Perhaps it'll be worth as much as an Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato in 40 years' time.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*

Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx
Watchoo wooting about...?!?

Get down on the ground and start kowtowing to the greatest car company in the universe!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Good job AM!!! You didn't put the suede on the top of the steering wheel.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i saw a yellow Vantage on my way home from class today... I have never seen a yellow Aston... looked pretty good actually...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Man, I just can't get used to that backwards tacho.....
Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by savage
i saw a yellow Vantage on my way home from class today... I have never seen a yellow Aston... looked pretty good actually...
Pretty good??? PRETTY GOOD...?!?!?!??

It should've been godly. You should've said it looked GODLY, you moron.

And WTF, an Aston Martin could be in that BMW-M3-duckshit-green color and it would STILL be hotter than hot. Heck, it'd be hotter than Jessica Alba, I'd say.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The greatest car ever produced in modern times. that simple. Perfection.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS Spied

Momma...

From WCF...

The Nurburgring in Germany is the hot-spot for car spy photgraphers, and today we have spotted what can only be the new Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS (Road Sport). Aston Martin's concept car has been confirmed for a very limited production run while reports about when the four-door coupe will go into production vary between first and third quarter of 2009.

The Vantage spotted has a rear-diffuser remarkably similar to the Mako Blue concept car, distinguishing the V12 Vantage RS from the regular V8 Vantage. After all, big power needs big cooling capabilities.

The Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS will be powered by a 6.0 liter V12 engine, but where the concept came strapped to 600 horses, the production version will most likely have to do with 'just' 550 hp.

The limited production run is expected to take place at Gaydon, even though Aston Martin announced that the Rapide production will be outsourced to Magna Steyr in Austria insinuating that Gaydon production capacity is at, or close to, maximum. A price tag of Euro 225,000 plus is expected for the most powerful Aston Martin ever.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
meh................
Old 04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
March yo @$$ to the other AM thread you missed.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that interior is cleaannn...
Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Top Gear's Official Review...

The quote:

Aston's new 'Vantage RS' strikes the perfect balance between power and control. In fact, it's probably the best car Aston has ever built
ALL HAIL ASTON MARTIN...!!!

Full story here: http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/04/1.html
Old 05-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Post New 420hp 4.7 liter engine details...

From WCF...

First introduced as a 2006 model at Geneva 2005, Aston Martin has just announced the V8 Vantage will receive a technical makeover. Normally, this upgrade could be considered as an early mid-cycle upgrade, better known as the “facelift”, however, besides a new range of standard and optional 19-inch wheels, there are no changes to the exterior, which is no surprise since the Vantage is as stunning now as it was when it was first introduced.

Designed and built by Aston Martin at their facility in Cologne, Germany, the 380hp 4.3-liter VH (Vertical-Horizontal) engine is getting enlarged to 4.7-liters making 420hp, an increase of 11% and torque of 470Nm (15% increase). 0-60 mph slight drops from 4.8 to 4.7 seconds and top speed from 175 mph (280 km/h) to 180mph (288km/h). According to the release, the increase in displacement is the result of new cylinder liners which are “pressed into the pre-machined aluminium alloy block, allowing a thinner liner than was possible with the cast-in design of the 4.3 litre engine. The new forged steel crankshaft provides the 91mm stroke and incorporates new holes in the counter weights for reduced rotating mass and improved inter-bay breathing. New forged steel connecting rods and cast aluminium pistons complete the capacity-related changes.”

Both manual and sequential (Sportshift) transmissions receive a 0.5kg lighter clutch disk and flywheel resulting in less rotating mass within the powertrain, and therefore greater engine responsiveness. Additionally, the Sportshift gearbox has received improvements to its throttle mapping software which allows for a smoother “Comfort” mode as well as a more aggressive “Sports” mode. Combined European fuel economy and CO2 emissions are reduced by 13% with the Sportshift trans.

Other improvements include a new Sports Pack which includes new forged lightweight wheels, stiffer springs and bump stops, Bilstein shocks, revised rear anti-roll bar (Coupe only) and revised steering geometry resulting in improve steering feel.

Inside, the new centre console is constructed from die cast zinc alloy with a graphite silver finish, the switchgear is revised and a new faster processing Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Navigation System is installed.

Prices for the revised V8 Vantage will be confirmed at a later date, with deliveries starting in the third quarter 2008.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Technical Enhancements for Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Gaydon, 23 May 2008. Aston Martin’s V8 Vantage – originally launched to widespread critical acclaim at the Geneva Motor Show in 2005 – is to receive significant technical enhancements, reaffirming the car’s position as one of the world’s most desirable and exhilarating sports cars.

While the universally distinctive and award-winning shape of the V8 Vantage is retained, the car benefits from a number of technical changes which include significantly up-rated engine performance from a new 4.7 litre power unit in both Coupe and Roadster variants. Other changes include revised dynamics to take full advantage of increased power and torque availability, improved Sportshift™ transmission software and a new sports suspension option.

The 4.7 litre V8 engine has a power output of 420bhp (an 11% increase on the previous 4.3 litre unit) and delivers peak torque of 470Nm (15% increase), providing the V8 Vantage with new reserves of mid-range performance, an improved 0-60mph time of 4.7 seconds and top speed of 180mph (288km/h). Combined European fuel economy and CO2 emissions are also improved by 13% (Sportshift™).

Inside, the changes include a new centre console and revised switchgear and the introduction of an ECU replacing the previous V8 Vantage key. Externally, the acclaimed V8 Vantage design appearance is enhanced with a range of new standard and optional 19’’ alloy wheels.

Aston Martin Chief Executive Officer, Dr Ulrich Bez said: “Continued development and evolution of our unique VH (Vertical-Horizontal) architecture has brought even higher levels of refinement and dynamic performance to our whole range.

“With the new 4.7 litre engine and associated changes we have taken the V8 Vantage to new levels of performance to produce an even more desirable sports car.

“The V8 Vantage is now the most successful Aston Martin in our history and we are confident these changes will continue its appeal and driving enjoyment for both new and existing customers.”

Engine

Improvements in performance have been achieved through a number of carefully developed changes to Aston Martin’s acclaimed V8 engine.

The cylinder bore and stroke has been increased from 89mm to 91mm and 86mm to 91mm respectively, giving a total displacement of 4735cc.

The increase in cylinder bore is facilitated by a move to cylinder liners that are pressed into the pre-machined aluminium alloy block, allowing a thinner liner than was possible with the cast-in design of the 4.3 litre engine.

The new forged steel crankshaft provides the 91mm stroke and incorporates new holes in the counter weights for reduced rotating mass and improved inter-bay breathing. New forged steel con-rods and cast aluminium pistons complete the capacity-related changes.

Other key changes include efficiency improvements to the dry sump lubrication system, including a new sump casting with oil pick-up points moved from the front and rear to the sides of the sump. The cylinder heads are modified with a new intake port and an inlet valve size increase from 34.9mm to 35.9mm. The intake manifold has been modified to match the new port to optimise air flow.

Transmission

The V8 Vantage transmissions have also undergone changes to improve performance and to handle the increased levels of power and torque. Both the standard manual stick-shift gearbox and the optional Sportshift™ transmission benefit from a modified clutch and flywheel, reducing clutch pedal efforts and delivering a 0.5kg weight saving, reducing the rotating masses within the powertrain, and hence increasing engine responsiveness.

Aston Martin’s Sportshift™ transmission has undergone a series of specific changes to broaden the capabilities of the gearbox to offer customers enhanced comfort and convenience with sporting capabilities. Changes include a revised control strategy, allowing the transmission, rather than the engine, to dictate how best the engine torque should be deployed to optimise performance and deliver power smoothly and consistently.

‘Dual Throttle Map’ software is also featured. When ‘Comfort’ mode is selected the engine reacts in a smoother more progressive manner to driver throttle inputs and in the default ‘Sports’ mode the throttle mapping is more aggressive, delivering a more dynamic and sporting feel.

Sportshift™ now also has the capability to take inputs from the steering wheel enabling the current gear to be held when the car is negotiating a corner and hill descent detection, allowing a low gear to be held, maximising the effects of engine braking.

Suspension A series of improvements are introduced to the V8 Vantage chassis and suspension setup to deliver improved body control and low speed ride quality; enabling the driver to take full advantage of the increased performance potential.

A number of the improved components originally introduced on the Vantage Roadster are now carried over to the Coupe, including revised upper damper mountings and bump stops. Additionally, the front spring rates are stiffened by 11% at the front and 5% at the rear.

Steering geometry is also modified to improve steering feel, while the front lower suspension arm compliance bushes are stiffened by 22% to provide enhanced steering response and handling.

The V8 Vantage also now benefits from Bilstein dampers as standard; these low-friction dampers provide improved levels of dynamic capabilities and further improve ride quality.

Design & Optional Equipment

Also introduced as an option for both Coupe and Roadster variants is a new Sports Pack which comprises forged lightweight alloy wheels aiding a lower unsprung mass, re-tuned Bilstein dampers with improved dynamic response, up-rated springs and a revised rear anti-roll bar (Coupe only). The Sports Pack is intended to offer greater agility, high speed body control and precision feel for the most enthusiastic of drivers.

Although the award-winning exterior design of the V8 Vantage remains largely unchanged, a new 20-spoke 19’’ alloy wheel is introduced as standard, with either diamond turned silver or graphite finishes available as options, affording customers maximum choice. Alternatively, as part of the Sports Pack option, a 5-spoke lightweight aluminium wheel will be provided.

In the cabin, a new centre console constructed from die cast zinc alloy with a graphite silver finish is introduced along with a new ECU – first seen on the DBS in 2007. The ECU – constructed from glass, polished stainless steel and polycarbonate - replaces the key used previously for the V8 Vantage. The revised car also includes a new Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Navigation System offering faster route processing, additional features and improved graphics. Full ipod/MP3 integration is retained as standard equipment.

First shown as a concept car at the 2003 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the V8 Vantage caused a worldwide sensation as it allowed Aston Martin to enter a new sector of the premium sports car market with a genuine alternative to other cars on offer. Deliveries of the V8 Vantage Coupe to customers began in late 2005, joined by a convertible sibling in 2007 when the Vantage Roadster was launched. The car is hand built at Aston Martin’s Headquarters at Gaydon, Warwickshire, UK and to date more than 10,000 have been delivered to customers around the world.

Prices for the revised V8 Vantage will be confirmed at a later date, with deliveries set to commence from quarter three 2008.

Specification: Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Body
Two-door style coupe body style with tailgate or two-door body with soft cover convertible top and heated glass rear screen with 2+0 seating. Bonded aluminium structure, aluminium alloy, steel, composite, and magnesium alloy body. Extruded aluminium side impact bars. Halogen projector headlamps (main beam). LED rear lamps.

Engine
Aston Martin all alloy quad overhead camshaft 32 valve, 4735cc 4.7 litre V8. Variable inlet camshaft timing. Dry sump lubrication system. Fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves. Front-mid mounted engine. Rear wheel drive.

Transmission
Rear mid-mounted six-speed manual gearbox with optional Sportshift*4 automated manual transmission. Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft. Limited slip differential. Final drive ratio 3.909:1.

Steering
Rack and pinion, power assisted steering, 3.0 turns lock to lock. Column tilt and reach adjustment. Electronic steering column lock.

Wheels and Tyres
Standard: 19’’ alloy wheels – 20 spoke design - Front: 8.5J x 19’’ / Rear: 9.5J x 19’’. Bridgestone Potenza tyres - Front: 235/40 ZR19. Rear: 275/35 ZR19.

Optional: 19’’ alloy wheels – 7 spoke design - Front: 8.5J x 19’’ / Rear: 9.5J x 19’’. Bridgestone Potenza tyres - Front: 235/40 ZR19. Rear: 275/35 ZR19.

Suspension
Front: Independent double aluminium wishbones incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube dampers.
Rear: Independent double aluminium wishbones incorporating anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube dampers.

Brakes
Radial-mounted four-piston monobloc calipers. Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). Traction Control. Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD). Emergency Brake Assist (EBA). Positive Torque Control.

Front: Ventilated grooved steel discs 355mm diameter.
Rear: Ventilated and grooved steel discs 330mm diameter.

Interior
Full grain leather interior. Alcantara headlining. Alloy facia trim and graphite centre console finish. Electrically adjustable seats. Dual stage driver and passenger airbags. Side airbags. Heated rear screen. Automatic temperature control. Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) displays. Trip computer, Glass ECU. LED map reading lights. Rear parking sensors. Tyre pressure monitoring. Alarm and immobiliser. Remote control central door locking and boot release. Battery Disconnect Switch (BDS). Battery conditioner. Tracking device (UK only).

In-Car Entertainment
160W Aston Martin Audio System with six-CD autochanger. Integrated Apple iPod® connector*5. USB connector with Waveform Audio Format (WAF), Windows Media Player (WMA) and MPEG (MP3) audio file compatibility.

Options
Sportshift*4 automated manual transmission. Sports Pack. Hard Disk Drive (HDD) satellite navigation system*1+. High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps (dipped beam). Satellite radio system (USA only). Piano Black facia trim. Personalised sill plaques. Auto dimming interior rear view mirror*1. Auto dimming interior rear view mirror with garage door opener*1. Alarm upgrade (volumetric and tilt sensor). Memory seats and exterior mirrors (three positions). Heated seats. Front parking sensors. Tracking device*2. First aid kit. Ashtray and cigar lighter. Cruise control. Bluetooth telephone preparation*1. Powerfold exterior mirrors. Boot mounted umbrella. 700W Aston Martin Premium Audio System with Dolby® Pro Logic II®.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:34 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...................... pprrreeeeeettttyyyyyyyyyyyy....................... ...............
Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Beyond pretty.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Beyond pretty.
Cause you're a girl?

J/K Beside the, somewhat, feminine color, I love everything about it.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need hi-res shots of the last few pics of the blue RS pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

This is my porn.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by swift22
I need hi-res shots of the last few pics of the blue RS pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

This is my porn.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^^ NWS
Old 06-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Aston Martin Kilgour V8 Vantage in Fashion Show

From Worldcarfans...

Teaming up with bespoke tailor, Kilgour of Savile Row, Aston Martin presented a haute couture bespoke V8 Vantage Coupe in honour of Kilgour's first-ever fashion show in Paris presenting its spring/summer collection.

The V8 Vantage was finished in a special Morning Frost Satin paint, with the texture of fine silk. Influenced by Kilgour’s latest collection, which focuses on patterns incorporating spots and stripes with a single circle, the interior is finished in Kilgour Midnight Blue with the seat-inserts set with a polka-dot pattern.
Hubba...hubba...

Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Vantage GT4 News...

From Worldcarfans...

When Aston Martin released the updated Vantage coupe there was little doubt that the company's racing division couldn't wait to get their hands on it, so after six months of development they have finally unveiled the new 2009 Vantage GT4.

Based off the 4.7-liter V8 Vantage, the GT4 features a recalibrated engine management system specifically tuned for racing and a free flowing exhaust system. Other changes include a retuned suspension for better handling and improved body control, a revised braking system which features larger discs for improved cooling, and the option of having it come equipped with a sportshift transmission.

Compared to the V8 Vantage, the GT4 weighs 300 kg less thanks the removal of virtually all the standard interior trim. Instead the interior has been outfitted with a high-strength steel rollcage, Recaro competition seats and a Lifeline Zero 360 gas extinguisher system.

The company is currently taking orders for the £96,645 GT4 and the first deliveries should begin in January.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Post V12 RS to Debut in Geneva...?

From WCF...

With Aston Martin now operating as an independent sports car manufacturer and the lineup down to only the DB9 and Vantage, there's some speculation as to what the Geneva show holds for the brand. Autoblog has collected some of the rumors, and coupling them with what we already know, we can make some educated guesses.

While we're waiting for the Rapide and One-77 to arrive, Aston is likely to tempt us with new top-of-the-line models of both of its existing cars. Speculation calls for a V12-powered Vantage and a DBS ragtop to debut soon; both could drop in Geneva.

The Vantage V12 RS appeared at last year's Geneva show and was confirmed for production as a limited-edition 600-horsepower coupe. Carbon-fiber body panels and an extendable spoiler set the V12 apart visually, while the 6.0 liter V12 under the hood, sourced from the DBRS9 race car, promises upgraded performance as well.

As for the DBS roadster, it was also confirmed at last year's Geneva show, and we've already spotted prototypes in winter testing. Based on the spy photos, apart from a slightly revised greenhouse the DBS Volante, as it's likely to be called in Aston Martin tradition, will be identical to the coupe apart from the soft top.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

V12 Vantage Announced...

Not to be confused with the RS version, folks...And all I can say is: Whoa.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Info from Motor Authority...

Aston Martin will unveil one of the fastest production cars in its 95-year history at next month’s Geneva Motor Show in the form of the new V12 Vantage coupe. The latest addition is based on the current V8 model but Aston Martin engineers have managed to shoehorn the mighty 6.0L V12 engine from the DBS flagship into the Vantage engine bay.

Output has been left untouched, which means the V12 churns out up to 510hp (380kW) and 420lb-ft (570Nm) of torque. This is enough to propel the car from 0-100km/h in just 4.2 seconds – 0.1 seconds quicker than the DBS – and allow it to reach a top speed of 305km/h. Drive is sent to the rear wheels via a six speed manual gearbox.

Designed for the focused driver, numerous components from the standard V8 Vantage were either replaced or enhanced for application in the V12 model. For example, engineers have added a new limited slip differential, a final drive ratio of 3.71:1, and an alloy torque tube with a lightweight carbon-fiber propeller shaft.

Engine airflow is improved by an intake bypass that opens up at 5,500rpm, along with a revised induction system and re-profiled inlet ports. The V12 unit is 100kg heavier than the V8, but thanks to all the weight saving measures the car’s kerb weight has only increased by 50kg and comes in at 1,680kg.

The suspension consists of independent double wishbones front and rear, new coil springs, an anti-roll bar and monotube dampers. This sits on a set of 19in forged alloy wheels wrapped with Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires. Stopping power comes from ventilated carbon-ceramic discs with six-piston calipers up front and four-piston biters at the back.

Changes to the standard body include a bevy of enhanced aerodynamic and cooling aids, such as the new front splitter, bonnet louvers, a small boot lid spoiler, and an aggressive rear diffuser.

The V12 Vantage will be built at Aston Martin’s global headquarters in Gaydon, UK, alongside the DBS, DB9 and V8 Vantage model lines. Deliveries of the car are expected to start during the third quarter of the year and pricing will be revealed at next month’s Geneva event. Production will be limited to less than 500 units per year. Sadly, U.S. customers are likely to miss out as AutoWeek is reporting that legal issues for the engine and crash safety have ruled it out.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Spank me!!!!!! Daddy's been a very bad boy!!!!

V12 Vantage
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow...a DBS engine inside the Vantage. Seriously, AMG's boss said that the HP wars are dead? Pffft...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

More pics of the V12 Vantage...

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,951 Likes on 5,135 Posts
V12 vantage looks nice, apart from the uber-stupid wheels. would need to replace those PRONTO
Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Drop Dead Gorgeous!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aston Martin: Vantage News