Acura: TLX News

Old 07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ender
Here's a shot in the dark, I'm gonna say 31750 for starts and thats for the TL Auto. I can't see them making that big of jump up in price it'll be like cutting off one of your arms. They can't afford to lose that much client base. On the other hand because of the new model and new toys and gadgets we are going to appeal to new customers, people that would have looked at options like the GS300 and GS400. Does anyone else feel like playing The Price is Right.
This sounds about right. I think about $4K separation between the TL and the high end of the TSX sounds fair. Say $32K + $2K for Nav...maybe $36 as the high end for HPT with Nav.

Gotta love the speculation!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro

You rock Justin! (Good name by the way, :P )

My only disappointment is that it's only available w/ the 6 speed manual. I know I might get slack for this, but I want an Automatic since I do a lot of stop and go driving and drive to the bay area quite often. In these situations a stick becomes more work than fun. Oh well, as the saying goes "You can't have it all".
Old 07-09-2003, 11:30 AM
More On

Originally posted by planman
.....Say $32K + $2K for Nav...maybe $36 as the high end for HPT with Nav.

Gotta love the speculation!
I still say a little higher.

But this post is just an excuse for me to say HI to planman! I remember you were involved in some threads that I looked at a couple of months ago when I was just getting ready to join ClubTSX, and also that you're the dude who remembered what the inflation rate was in 1979!

Welcome to "this side."
Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I think Acura should lose the bumper cutouts altogether and go with a setup similar to the TSX. It would look much cleaner. Then again, I'm not the designer, so my opinion doesn't count.

Can someone explain VTM-4 to me? Which Honda cars currently feature it?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I was wondering the same thing? what's VTM-4??

But I know that when someone explains it I'm going to feel stupid....
Old 07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
VTM-4 is the honda awd system used in the C-RV...it's the best in the biz at what it does...

i want a new TL now
Old 07-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

FOR IMMEDIATE SALE:

2004 TSX Non-navi with 2750 miles ... Satin Silver with Ebony Interior, non-navi

Yours for $375 per month ... only 33 months left on lease.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:49 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
A Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel-Drive® (VTM-4®) system that reroutes torque to the wheels where it will do the most good.

Unsatisfied with the often bulky and inelegant 4-wheel-drive systems on the market, the engineers proposed an innovative system for the MDX that would automatically distribute torque to all four wheels when needed. The Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel-Drive® (VTM-4®) system reroutes torque to the wheels where it will do the most good, for enhanced traction on wet and slippery roads and reduced torque steer on dry pavement. Designed primarily as an on-pavement system, it allows the MDX to be taken off-road safely in medium duty applications.

VTM-4 provides front-wheel drive for dry-pavement cruising conditions, and engages all-wheel drive only when mobility, stability, or maneuverability would benefit. Unlike the many competitive systems triggered by wheel slippage, VTM-4 anticipates the need for all-wheel drive and engages the rear wheels before slippage begins. To contend with the added torque of the engine in the 2003 MDX, VTM-4 sends 30% more torque to the rear wheels for better handling, performance, and front-traction feel. A Lock button on the dash engages 4-wheel drive manually, in case you need to get out of deep mud or snow.

LOCK BUTTON

While VTM-4® is an automatic system, the VTM-4 Lock button offers manual engagement of 4-wheel drive while the MDX is in 1st, 2nd or Reverse gear. It does so by locking the rear differential clutches, effectively establishing 4-wheel drive and providing a constant supply of traction to the rear wheels at low speeds up to 18 mph.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Astroboy
VTM-4 is the honda awd system used in the C-RV...it's the best in the biz at what it does...

i want a new TL now
Wrong. It's used in the Pilot and MDX. The CRV system is Real Time AWD and is a much less advanced system (ie. slower to transfer power to the rear wheels).
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Astroboy

i want a new TL now
Somewhat expected....and very good news.

Hey provench don't forget that you adim/moderate Acura-TSX.com and NOT Acura-TL.com

I think we need a more stable moderator, someone who does'nt change cars like they change underwear. Remember provenh's G35 He traded that thing in faster than he can say "AWD TL"
Old 07-09-2003, 11:54 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
VTM-4 is the most technologically advanced AWD system in production today in MANY WAYS.

it was introduced on the MDX... but in reading the technical white papers i found the system was definately NOT built with an SUV in mind. it is an ideal platform for use in a passenger vehicle.

i have long predicted the use of VTM-4 in honda's upcoming `lux-sport` cars.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:55 AM
OG

Originally posted by jwaters943
Wrong. It's used in the Pilot and MDX. The CRV system is Real Time AWD and is a much less advanced system (ie. slower to transfer power to the rear wheels).
Damn Justin and I was just about to correct him/her. I guess people with the same name think alike?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by domn
Somewhat expected....and very good news.

Hey provench don't forget that you adim/moderate Acura-TSX.com and NOT Acura-TL.com

I think we need a more stable moderator, someone who does'nt change cars like they change underwear. Remember provenh's G35 He traded that thing in faster than he can say "AWD TL"
Oh but you see ... what really excites me about this is the move to AWD for Acura ... I want and AWD TSX !!!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:57 AM
The Creator

oh BTW... the VTM-4 system weighs only 30% of traditional AWD systems and is said to add only a negliable amoutn of weight to a vehicle with a FWD setup.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
The Creator

and it doesnt decrease ground clearance either.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Now that we've all but established the existence of AWD on the new TL, lets talk numbers, the ones that matter. How much HP and TQ?????
Old 07-09-2003, 12:45 PM
TSX Lover

2004 TL 6SP-HPT, Navi, Nighthawk Black, Carmel leather, AWD, DVD-Audio, OMG!!!!!!

If they keep it under $37,990 I may have to bite.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by justinjsw
Well since they can say it... I guess its ok for me too...I told provench this last month but ask him not to say anything...HPT...is a revised version of VTM-4/with a high performance package.

Re: 9000rpm...The new Honda legend to debut at the Tokyo Auto later in the year will be our new 05RL.
Thanks 9000rpm and Justin!! This is great news for the TL. I bet the HPT model will be near impossible to get though....I see the long lines forming at the dealers soon. Do you know if the HPT will have more power/torque than the auto or 6M models? This is going to kill the 3.5RL's already weak sales, wish they could just drop it for a year until the new one comes out.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think that the autoweek pix are highly camouflaged, especially the back. That white strip directly to the left of the right taillight, and to the right of the left light does not appear to be on jackspats pix. I have no idea what it is, it may be there to throw us off, or it may be a cover for a turn signals. There are alot of wierd indentations and "rivets" in the second pic indicating lots of covers. Just a thought... Also, I find it a little hard to believe that Acura would increase the base price of the TL soo much. They will be losing a huge amount of clients, who are looking for a speedy V6 under 30k. BTW justinjw YOU ROCKK!!!! Is there any new info on the interior, i.e gadgets etc...

Thanks!
(my first post)
Old 07-09-2003, 01:35 PM
More On

Originally posted by JeffPhx
Thanks 9000rpm and Justin!! This is great news for the TL. I bet the HPT model will be near impossible to get though....I see the long lines forming at the dealers soon......
I wonder if the HPT's might be priced A LOT higher than the basic models, kinda like M3 and M5....
Old 07-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Instructor

The front end is going to look very sharp. It appears that the grille area is slightly smaller than the TSX.

Something really needs to be done about the rear exhaust. It's not looking too good. But, if you look at the second photo, the exhaust tips are not flush with the cut outs from a vertical angle, so maybe this isn't what the production exhaust will look like.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

:P
At least in its masked form, the front end is reminiscent of the '98-'02 Accord coupe...maybe a bit more aggressive though.

I'm with you on the exhaust. Anything that even evokes a thought of Pontiac-ness could be bad.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

I might be stupid, but isn't it much better to the tongue if the HPT model can be called 2004 TL Type S? (even though all are rumors for now)
I think Type-S name sounds more "sexy" than simply HPT...

what do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro

Re: Short Autoweek update with pics

Originally posted by 98AccordEx
CHeck out these hopefully new photos on Autoweek's website:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=06119210
Good find
Old 07-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
I still say a little higher.

But this post is just an excuse for me to say HI to planman! I remember you were involved in some threads that I looked at a couple of months ago when I was just getting ready to join ClubTSX, and also that you're the dude who remembered what the inflation rate was in 1979!

Welcome to "this side."
Thanks, larch. Yeah, that's me. I was a little slow on the uptake, but I finally made it to the "good side."

You're probably right on the price point...but a guy can dream, right? Right?!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by justinjsw
Well since they can say it... I guess its ok for me too...I told provench this last month but ask him not to say anything...HPT...is a revised version of VTM-4/with a high performance package.

Re: 9000rpm...The new Honda legend to debut at the Tokyo Auto later in the year will be our new 05RL.

Oooooh.

Very nice!!! A high performance package of the VTM-4. I wonder if it is an on demand system like the MDX. All four wheels receive pwr starting from a dead stop and only during slip do the rear wheels come to play.

If the programming is different, then I wonder if it will have rear wheel bias? That will be cool as you'd have the feeling of rear wheel drive.

Thanks again Justin.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro

I can't wait for the offical info, have a deposit on one, white pearl, hope to get black inside, much more sport looking than tan.

All pics look great, except the exhust, needs better fit like concept.

Tails are well hidden, black tape hides the same lines as concept, if you zoom in on June's spy shots (earlier in this thread) you can see the outlines, the white strips are just to throw you off, real reverse lights are next to rear tag.

Wheels look a little wimpy compared to concept (not beefy enough).

If the 6spd is really AWD, I may have to get rid of the wife, all my cars have been manuals, told her this time I would finally get auto, but if I have to give up AWD, she will go first.

Watch out AUDI!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro

Did have a deposit on the V8 S4, but too expensive, and not that new looking, it looks like the 98 A6 and up, the 04 TL really took my attention, with all this (HP and AWD and looks), I'm saying good bye to Audi!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

there is no way honda will equip a sedan with awd..
i really don't think this is realistic possibility.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:44 PM
More On

Originally posted by need4spd
I can't wait for the offical info, have a deposit on one......
Bulletin! (Is need4spd THE FIRST?)
Old 07-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they do have 4WD Accord in japan
Old 07-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally posted by hwaNi.J30A1-C
there is no way honda will equip a sedan with awd..
i really don't think this is realistic possibility.
And what makes you such an expert? Just because they haven't done it before in the North American market, doesn't mean they won't ever.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by ryder1650
I think that the autoweek pix are highly camouflaged, especially the back. That white strip directly to the left of the right taillight, and to the right of the left light does not appear to be on jackspats pix. I have no idea what it is, it may be there to throw us off, or it may be a cover for a turn signals. There are alot of wierd indentations and "rivets" in the second pic indicating lots of covers. Just a thought... Also, I find it a little hard to believe that Acura would increase the base price of the TL soo much. They will be losing a huge amount of clients, who are looking for a speedy V6 under 30k. BTW justinjw YOU ROCKK!!!! Is there any new info on the interior, i.e gadgets etc...

Thanks!
(my first post)
Now concerning pricing on the '04 TL, as long as the price ranges from $32K - 37K, I think Acura will still sell plenty of TLs. The success of the G35 is just an example of what consumers are willing to pay for a premium sport sedan like the TL. In addition, I'm sure the residual on the TL is going to be more than the G35 so customers who prefer to lease would may be more likely to get a '04 TL because of Honda/Acura's long time tradition of maintaining its value.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
I wonder if the HPT's might be priced A LOT higher than the basic models, kinda like M3 and M5....
Based on the current CL and TSX, I bet the auto and 6M will be priced the same while the AWD 6M HPT will be a few thousand more. But it is all a guessing game until the official info is released.

With the HPT, Acura is aiming straight at Audi Quattros, MB 4 Matics, BMW iX's and future Lexus AWD models. This is going to real interesting!! Glad to see Acura is finally going to have a non-FWD sedan. When is the Tokyo autoshow?? Can't wait to see the prototype RL.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro

Sorry, Larch, I am new to this, what did you mean by is need4spd the first?

thanks,
Old 07-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Man, I couldn't take it anymore and joined the forum.

This thread is so exciting!

Does anyone know if the new TL will have ventilated (air conditioned) seats or side-view mirrors that collapse automatically? eg; Like the Maxima, H2 and the old Acura SLX.

Addiitonally, I'd love to see a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, along with electric lumbar adjustment.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Can any of our 'experts' comment on whether '04 TL will have windshield wipers or not? I apologize if I missed this in a previous post........

BTW it's good to see provench and justinjw back at it again.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro

Do you really need automatically folding mirrors, in the USA where streets are wide, how often do you colapse your mirrors?

As for the vented seats, that is something I can go for!

Like you, I finally had to join the forum, too much intersting info
Old 07-09-2003, 03:37 PM
OG

Sorry, Larch, I am new to this, what did you mean by is need4spd the first?

thanks,
He is asking if you are the first to have a deposit on the new TL.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by acuraman
Can any of our 'experts' comment on whether '04 TL will have windshield wipers or not? I apologize if I missed this in a previous post........

BTW it's good to see provench and justinjw back at it again.
I am pretty sure that our in person sighting insider (jackspat2) said that when he saw it in person it had real windshield wipers unlike the concept car ... not surprising.

hwaNi.J30A1-C - You are right man ... make sure whatever you do ... don't get on the list for the 6MT HPT model
Old 07-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you really need automatically folding mirrors, in the USA where streets are wide, how often do you colapse your mirrors?

As for the vented seats, that is something I can go for!

Like you, I finally had to join the forum, too much intersting info
Do I really need it.... No, but I would love to have the extra 3-4 inches when I am in the garage.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the ventilated seats. They are fabulous!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News