Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Personal attack alert: You are an idiot.

what is the difference between TLX and a Porsche 918?

other than engine, exterior and interior, they are pretty much the same.
what are you on about now? that is an idiotic comment you just made bud.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
^but but but cl-s 6mt and s2k!
Question 1: What does that have to do with Autoweek's review?

Answer 1: Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all.

Question 2: So why would anyone say that in response to the article?

Answer 2: Because some people have no idea how to defend something that's being criticized so they feel the need to write random comments that are completely off topic and add nothing of value to the article or subsequent conversation.

Question 3: So basically these people just troll because they have nothing to say?

Answer 3: Correct. Basically these people are mindless bots and it is socially acceptable and encouraged to point and laugh at their idiotic behavior.

Question 4: What you're telling me is that making fun of skd2k1's raging idiocy is good for the human race?

Answer 4: Yes, very much so.

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 11-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MeehowsBRZ:
civicdrivr (11-19-2014), fsttyms1 (11-20-2014), jwong77 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

^it's sorta weird that you have an imaginary forum friend that you have discussions with.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
at Meehowz.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
LOL wth are they smoking there at AutoWeek?

BMW and Mercedes, which move three or four times as many cars out showroom doors as Acura; Lexus or Audi, which are almost double Acura’s sales; or even Cadillac, which outsells Acura by a fair margin.
Year to Date for Acura is 135k. Year to date for Audi is 146k. How the hell is that "almost double Acura's sales"???

Year to date for Cadillac is 131k for retail sales (141k if you include fleet sales).

Seriously, at the very least, get the facts right.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Nothing?

Their review was basically exactly what I, and others, posted in here for reviews on the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
civicdrivr (11-19-2014), fsttyms1 (11-20-2014), justnspace (11-19-2014), ttribe (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:59 PM

the parts that hit home were...and Im paraphrasing here.... "we grew up with Honda and want to those exciting Honda cars again, except we got the TLX."
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
Damning with faint praise. Yep, that about sums it up.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
the parts that hit home were...and Im paraphrasing here.... "we grew up with Honda and want to those exciting Honda cars again, except we got the TLX."
that's just it, what exciting cars? the majority of honda cars have been "transportation appliances." that said, I'll admit that the marketing around the tlx has been misleading.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM

the prelude, the integra and the civic si comes to mind
Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Some dude

+ crx, s2000, nsx
Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM

that's just it, what exciting cars? the majority of honda cars have been "transportation appliances." that said, I'll admit that the marketing around the tlx has been misleading.
I heard there was this car called the NSX, once, that was pretty exciting.

ETA: Meehowz beat me to it.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Some dude

Originally Posted by ttribe

It's so weird that a guy who gets boners from base TLX's has nooooo clue about any car Honda created before 2006.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
+ crx, s2000, nsx

honda still makes the civic si as far as I know, and there is a new nsx on the way. prelude and integra were under powered imo, so not that exciting aside from the handling. honda has had a few standouts, particularly the nsx and s2k, but that's not what honda generally produces. so I don't understand the expectation that the tlx was going to be in the league of the nsx or s2k, aside from honda marketing misrepresenting the tlx.

Last edited by skd2k1; 11-19-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
It's so weird that a guy who gets boners from base TLX's has nooooo clue about any car Honda created before 2006.
you still don't get it after all this back and forth. the tlx is a great commuter car at a competitive price, it's not a super sexy m3 killer. that's why I bought acura/honda in the first place, bc it was the most practical decision not bc honda/acura make the sexiest beasts on the block with a million dollar badge. if I was going purely for excitement I wouldn't be going to the acura/honda dealer.

if you'd stop trying to win interweb pointz you might actually grasp what I've been saying.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:35 PM

honda still makes the civic si as far as I know, and there is a new nsx on the way. prelude and integra were under powered imo, so not that exciting aside from the handling. honda has had a few standouts, particularly the nsx and s2k, but that's not what honda generally produces. so I don't understand the expectation that the tlx was going to be in the league of the nsx or s2k, aside from honda marketing misrepresenting the tlx.
Who said "in the league of..." and what does that even mean to you?

As for me, I hoped the TLX would be something other than a steady diet of vanilla pudding. It isn't. It's about as vanilla as they possibly could have made it. Is it a "good" car? Yes; said that numerous times. Is it a "great" car? No. The Autoweek reviews are dead-on.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Some dude

if you'd stop trying to win interweb pointz you might actually grasp what I've been saying.

Maybe if you didn't come off like an ignorant troll in 99% of your posts people would get what you're trying to say.
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Who said "in the league of..." and what does that even mean to you?

As for me, I hoped the TLX would be something other than a steady diet of vanilla pudding. It isn't. It's about as vanilla as they possibly could have made it. Is it a "good" car? Yes; said that numerous times. Is it a "great" car? No. The Autoweek reviews are dead-on.
people are complaining that honda/acura don't make exciting cars like nsx or s2k, which is what I meant by saying 'in the league of s2k or nsx.' of course the tlx isn't exciting like the nsx or s2k, nor was it designed to be despite what the marketers are saying.

honda and acura are 99% vanilla.

Last edited by skd2k1; 11-19-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

People are upset because Honda no longer makes S2k, NSX, the Type R's, etc. The S2k and NSX were special, but even the vanilla cars back in the days like the Accord, Civic, Integra had sporty variant with a Type R badge.

As a result, some people also expect that bread and butter TLX should also have a sporty variant. Acura is not doing that at this moment and that's why some would get upset, which is understandable.
fsttyms1 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:24 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
While the majority of Honda's/Acura's may have been "transportation appliances," they at least had something special about them. None of Acura's current line up elicits any excitement except for maybe... maybe... the TLX V6 SH-AWD.

so I don't understand the expectation that the tlx was going to be in the league of the nsx or s2k, aside from honda marketing misrepresenting the tlx.
I don't think anyone expected the TLX to be in the same league as the NSX or the S2000. But when you're marketing it as a "Red Carpet Athlete" or using words like "Thrill" to describe it, then you damn well better be able to back that up. If you can't then don't even bother going there because it is just going to make you look stupid for trying to pretend that you're something you're not.

The last time an Acura made the Car and Drivers 10 Best list was in 2006 with the 1st gen TSX.

2015 Car and Driver 10 Best list is out. Nope, not a single Acura again. Not even the great TLX all the people in the TLX section rave about. No surprise that the Honda Accord is on the list again because it's at the top of its class/segment. It doesn't pretend to be something it is not. You can't say that about the TLX.

The 10Best Cars of 2015 ? Feature ? Car and Driver
  • BMW M235i
  • Cadillac CTS
  • Chevrolet Corvette Stringray
  • Ford Mustang GT
  • Honda Accord
  • Mazda 3
  • Mazda 6
  • Porsche Boxster/Cayman
  • Tesla Model S 60
  • VW Golf/GTI

2015 10 Best Cars: Honda Accord

12,000,000 buyers are usually wrong, but not this time.

There is a veil of sameness draped over the Accord that comes from racking up 300,000 to 400,000 annual sales, year after year. Who would imagine that such an exceptional car could be hiding in plain sight, mimicking a lowest-common-denominator family appliance? Many Accord owners are unable, or do not care, to spot what makes their car better than the rest. Most just get in and drive. But that hasn’t stopped Honda from treating its bestseller like a flagship. Indeed, they are one and the same.

Accords are not pimped out to shabby rental fleets, so the cars go home with real customers, those who ran a gantlet of salespeople and dealership-finance goons to get their cars. Buying or leasing the car, even if you have a good experience, will certainly be the worst part of Accord ownership. Once home, owners will find that their Accords are dependable, no-fuss devices. Whether sedan, coupe, or hybrid, an Accord ingratiates itself first by delivering on its family-car promise: Five humans fit comfortably, it’s easy on fuel, and the trunk is ready for Costco. There is more, however.

The seduction is a subtle, two-pronged lure. The first is that the Accord combines thousands of parts into one as if they weren’t bolted, welded, snapped, or glued together but molded to form a single, one-piece device. Parse each piece, though, and here’s what you get: the harmonious hum of hundreds of engine components, slicing throws of the six-speed manual or fast responses from the continuously variable transmission (yes, even it), satisfying weight in the steering, an absorbent yet playful suspension, and a driving position that seems to have been custom tailored with an emphasis on great outward visibility. Accords are better cars than they have to be, better than their owners might demand, a rarity in our consumer economy.

The second trick is another kind of camouflage: These cars have the ability to transcend, to fade from attention on dull drives and then reappear when you’re fully engaged. Even to the initiated, the Accord is a chameleon. Whether you choose to partake of it or not, a percentage of amusement is built into each car. Most of the Accord’s competitors don’t even offer driving joy on their options list. But the Accord is always ready when you are. As with old friends who haven’t spoken in a long time, there is an ease to picking up where things left off.

It should come as no surprise that the Accord is a bestseller. And yet, someone who has never driven one might think that giving it a 10Best award is akin to Michelin (the restaurant-guide part of the operation) giving three stars to the local McDonald’s. But the Accord is proof that millions can be served, and still be served, the best.
More evidence of why I'd rather buy an Accord EX-L V6 or Touring over the TLX (and especially the RLX) except for maybe.... maybe.... the TLX V6 SH-AWD.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
fsttyms1 (11-20-2014), justnspace (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Year to Date for Acura is 135k. Year to date for Audi is 146k. How the hell is that "almost double Acura's sales"???

Year to date for Cadillac is 131k for retail sales (141k if you include fleet sales).

How close is it when you remove cuv/suv from the list.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

people are complaining that honda/acura don't make exciting cars like nsx or s2k, which is what I meant by saying 'in the league of s2k or nsx.' of course the tlx isn't exciting like the nsx or s2k, nor was it designed to be despite what the marketers are saying.

honda and acura are 99% vanilla.
So then its "NOT" That KIND OF THRILL like they are advertising?

They have lost their way, they dont know what they want. They dont know how to design what they used to. They werent always Vanilla transportation devices, they used to design things that were exciting, especially for the time. There is NO reason they couldnt still be doing so.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

People are upset because Honda no longer makes S2k, NSX, the Type R's, etc. The S2k and NSX were special, but even the vanilla cars back in the days like the Accord, Civic, Integra had sporty variant with a Type R badge.

As a result, some people also expect that bread and butter TLX should also have a sporty variant. Acura is not doing that at this moment and that's why some would get upset, which is understandable.
I get that, but I think this decision was a financial decision on the part of hondacura. at this point, I'd say there's a good chance we'll see a type-s version of the tlx, but time will tell.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

They have lost their way, they dont know what they want. They dont know how to design what they used to. They werent always Vanilla transportation devices, they used to design things that were exciting, especially for the time. There is NO reason they couldnt still be doing so.
"that kind of thrill" is somewhat vague, but I agree the marketing is misleading, which, in a lot of cases, is what marketing is about.

I don't know that they've lost their way. they made it through the recession without a gov't handout, which I think is a testament. I'd wager that the reason we don't see more sporty variants from hondacura is a financial one.

my history with the brand doesn't go back as far as a lot of you guys, which I think is why I don't view the older models with as much nostalgia. I've always thought hondacura produces some sharp looking if a bit conservative, reliable cars. aside from the nsx, sk2, type-r teg, I never viewed hondacura has a purely "exciting" brand.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

"that kind of thrill" is somewhat vague, but I agree the marketing is misleading, which, in a lot of cases, is what marketing is about.

I don't know that they've lost their way. they made it through the recession without a gov't handout, which I think is a testament. I'd wager that the reason we don't see more sporty variants from hondacura is a financial one.

my history with the brand doesn't go back as far as a lot of you guys, which I think is why I don't view the older models with as much nostalgia. I've always thought hondacura produces some sharp looking if a bit conservative, reliable cars. aside from the nsx, sk2, type-r teg, I never viewed hondacura has a purely "exciting" brand.
Govt handout for a Japanese brand? Yea, that wouldnt have ever happened. Period. They didnt make it thru the so called recession because they were doing that much better. Do you know what got the Big 3 in the trouble that caused some of them to need the "bailout"
Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AZuser
While the majority of Honda's/Acura's may have been "transportation appliances," they at least had something special about them. None of Acura's current line up elicits any excitement except for maybe... maybe... the TLX V6 SH-AWD.
that seems very subjective to me.

I don't think anyone expected the TLX to be in the same league as the NSX or the S2000. But when you're marketing it as a "Red Carpet Athlete" or using words like "Thrill" to describe it, then you damn well better be able to back that up. If you can't then don't even bother going there because it is just going to make you look stupid for trying to pretend that you're something you're not.
this is what marketers do, but I agree the marketing is misleading. I don't think bmw's are the ultimate driving machine either.

The last time an Acura made the Car and Drivers 10 Best list was in 2006 with the 1st gen TSX.

2015 Car and Driver 10 Best list is out. Nope, not a single Acura again. Not even the great TLX all the people in the TLX section rave about. No surprise that the Honda Accord is on the list again because it's at the top of its class/segment. It doesn't pretend to be something it is not. You can't say that about the TLX.

The 10Best Cars of 2015 ? Feature ? Car and Driver
  • BMW M235i
  • Cadillac CTS
  • Chevrolet Corvette Stringray
  • Ford Mustang GT
  • Honda Accord
  • Mazda 3
  • Mazda 6
  • Porsche Boxster/Cayman
  • Tesla Model S 60
  • VW Golf/GTI

More evidence of why I'd rather buy an Accord EX-L V6 or Touring over the TLX (and especially the RLX) except for maybe.... maybe.... the TLX V6 SH-AWD.
^again, a very subjective take on an iconic car. fact of the matter is that most folks don't care to drive manual transmissions today. acura is trying to sell cars, and the tlx is doing well for them so far. the tlx may not be the car that the enthusiast community was hoping for, but there's clearly a place in the market for it. hopefully a type-s is on the way!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Ex-OEM King

The current gen Civic Si is noncompetitive, slow, underpowered, and in bad need of an interior, exterior, and engine refresh. In the world of turbocharged hot hatches and compact sedans, the Si is essentially meaningless. No one would go out of their way to buy a Civic Si when you can buy a Focus ST, Golf GTI, Jetta GLI, etc for more or less the same price.

Underpowered is not what anyone is talking about, have you driven a BRZ or FRS? Totally underpowered but tons of fun. Hondas used to be that way, they were the best slow cars to drive fast and did an awesome job of it. There weren't any Hondas that had high output motors, even the S2k only had 240hp that you could only get at 7k rpm but it was a blast to drive. There aren't any current model Hondas that are that way except for maybe the Accords with 6MT.

you still don't get it after all this back and forth. the tlx is a great commuter car at a competitive price, it's not a super sexy m3 killer. that's why I bought acura/honda in the first place, bc it was the most practical decision not bc honda/acura make the sexiest beasts on the block with a million dollar badge. if I was going purely for excitement I wouldn't be going to the acura/honda dealer.

In the olden days, if you want practical, you bought a Toyota. If you wanted practical luxury, you bought a Lexus. If you wanted reliable fun, you bought a Honda. If you wanted reliable fun luxury, you bought an Acura. Today, those are exact opposites.

People used to buy Hondas because they were reliable, practical, and a hoot to drive. They didn't use to be appliances so to speak, they were actually enjoyable. Never were M3 killers but the 3G TL did give the E46 and E90 a run for it's money.

They are conservative after the recession. They don't want to put their foot out there and see what's up because they got burned at the start of the recession. What they don't realize is that it's over and people want those fun cars back. Which is what just about every other automaker is now doing...except for Honda.

Seriously, why can't we have an Accord sport with leather, nav, sunroof, and a 6MT? I'd buy one, I'm sure a lot of people would.

that seems very subjective to me.
I wholeheartedly agree with him. Who else?
The following 5 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
civicdrivr (11-20-2014), EL19 (11-20-2014), fsttyms1 (11-21-2014), MeehowsBRZ (11-20-2014), ttribe (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM
_

You know who else didn't get a U.S. govt hand out? Toyota. And during the recession they gave us the Lexus LFA.
The following 6 users liked this post by AZuser:
civicdrivr (11-20-2014), crazyasiantl (11-21-2014), fsttyms1 (11-21-2014), justnspace (11-20-2014), SamDoe1 (11-20-2014), ttribe (11-20-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Ex-OEM King

Now you're just grabbing at straws.

The decision to go more boring is definitely a financial one, one that's helped during the recession. But now that the recession is over, it's going to start hurting unless they really start to ramp up the excitement. People want new stuff, people want cool stuff, people want fun, people want satisfaction now. They do not want boring cars that are priced similar to far less boring and more prestigious cars.

They were never "exciting" so to speak but damn were they fun to drive. A lot of those old Hondas could driven for years without ever losing that smile on your face. They'd never get your heart pumping so to speak but you'd never be bored. And the best part is that when you were done driving like a 5 year old kid, they wouldn't break down at all. Even today, you can drive your S2k to the track, race it, and drive it back home without changing parts. Most of the BMW people either bring spares of everything, different tires, and maybe even trailer their car there. What's the fun in that?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Everybody crying about Acura or boosting Acura should just accept the fact that at the end of this year Acura will be where they always been.

Fighting for fourth place in sales behind MB/LEXUS/BMW. Nothing will change that and nothing will make Acura drop down to Volvo sales levels either. It's only the car forum people who make big deals out of everything. The average consumer will continue to buy enough 35,000 dollar+ Acura cars to ensure Acura finishes around 4th, but a far ways behind third.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Lexus actually delivered on their 'thrill' promise though.

That new RC 350 F Sport is insane. It sells for around the same price as a BMW 428I but it looks as expensive as a M4. This will become a big seller for Lexus. Acura should have done what Lexus did and went all out controversial design.

This is what's confusing to me.........Lexus have a LOT more to lose by going so far away from their old core. The old conservative soft luxury is the style and mindset that enabled Lexus to be America's #1 luxury selling Brand for 10 years. They are gambling away 10 years of #1 for a fresh new look that could have potentially backfired. It didn't and it worked. But Lexus took a major risk with all that driver's mentality and F SPORT Grille stuff. The RC'S and the NX'S.

It's just shocking to me that a brand who have been finishing top 3 in sales over the last two decades in America will still find the need to 'step it up' and do fresh things..........when Acura a brand who have been struggling doesn't want to take the same risks.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by ScottLong

That new RC 350 F Sport is insane. It sells for around the same price as a BMW 428I but it looks as expensive as a M4. This will become a big seller for Lexus. Acura should have done what Lexus did and went all out controversial design.

This is what's confusing to me.........Lexus have a LOT more to lose by going so far away from their old core. The old conservative soft luxury is the style and mindset that enabled Lexus to be America's #1 luxury selling Brand for 10 years. They are gambling away 10 years of #1 for a fresh new look that could have potentially backfired. It didn't and it worked. But Lexus took a major risk with all that driver's mentality and F SPORT Grille stuff. The RC'S and the NX'S.

It's just shocking to me that a brand who have been finishing top 3 in sales over the last two decades in America will still find the need to 'step it up' and do fresh things..........when Acura a brand who have been struggling doesn't want to take the same risks.
They did, it sucked:

Old 11-20-2014, 01:47 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Wait till the tuners get their hands on the new RC350. It’ll be murdering cars twice as much. And the styling is menacing.

Originally Posted by ScottLong

Old 11-20-2014, 01:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

How close is it when you remove cuv/suv from the list.
lol why remove them when they are cars as well? To move the goalposts? The article says cars.

I get that, but I think this decision was a financial decision on the part of hondacura. at this point, I'd say there's a good chance we'll see a type-s version of the tlx, but time will tell.
I would like to see at least a sport package.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:35 PM
_

lol why remove them when they are cars as well? To move the goalposts? The article says cars.
Yes, they're all "cars" in the broad general sense that they have 4 wheels, 4 doors, etc., but Acura categorizes them as trucks.

New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales - Honda News

New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales

Oct 1, 2014 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Hot new Acura TLX powers an 18.8 percent division increase with 3,884 September sales
  • Acura RDX posted its best-ever September with sales of 3,230, rising 6.9 percent for the month and helping Acura trucks to its best September on record
  • New Honda Fit achieves best September ever on sales of 6,628 units, up 66.5 percent
  • Honda CR-V also sets new September record, rising 10.6 percent on sales of 23,722

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported September 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 118,223 units, an increase of 12.0 percent versus September of last year. The Honda division had its best September since 2007 with sales of 104,391 vehicles, while Acura posted sales of 13,832 units in the same period. Acura trucks posted its best-ever September, rising 6.8 percent vs. 2013. Year-to-date total American Honda sales reached 1,160,605 vehicles.

Acura

Less than two months on the market and without full supply of the three-model lineup at dealerships, the all-new 2015 Acura TLX luxury performance sedan sparked an 18.8 percent sales surge for the luxury brand, boosting division sales to 13,832 for September over the same month in 2013. TLX sales were second only to the Acura MDX within the entire division, followed by another record performance by the RDX, with the luxury SUVs pushing Acura truck sales to a new September record.

American Honda Reports July 2014 Sales - Honda News

American Honda Reports July 2014 Sales

Acura
Overall Acura sales reflect a virtual sell out of prior TL and TSX models as the company prepared for launch of the 2015 TLX line of luxury performance sedans, which is now underway nationwide. MDX, America's all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV, was the brand's best-selling model, besting a year-old July record.
  • All-new 2015 TLX is arriving at dealers now.
  • MDX July sales rose 13.2 percent on sales of 6,283 units, setting a new July record and combined with RDX, set a new July record for light trucks.
fsttyms1 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Probably talking about sedan sales.

Cadillac is going to sell around 50k sedans in the mid-price segment with the CTS and XTS.

How many will Acura sell?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:53 PM
_

Originally Posted by YEH
Probably talking about sedan sales.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The current gen Civic Si is noncompetitive, slow, underpowered, and in bad need of an interior, exterior, and engine refresh. In the world of turbocharged hot hatches and compact sedans, the Si is essentially meaningless. No one would go out of their way to buy a Civic Si when you can buy a Focus ST, Golf GTI, Jetta GLI, etc for more or less the same price.

Underpowered is not what anyone is talking about, have you driven a BRZ or FRS? Totally underpowered but tons of fun. Hondas used to be that way, they were the best slow cars to drive fast and did an awesome job of it. There weren't any Hondas that had high output motors, even the S2k only had 240hp that you could only get at 7k rpm but it was a blast to drive. There aren't any current model Hondas that are that way except for maybe the Accords with 6MT.
first you say underpowered is bad, and then you say underpowered doesn't matter. hondacura cars still have great handling and are still underpowered.

In the olden days, if you want practical, you bought a Toyota. If you wanted practical luxury, you bought a Lexus. If you wanted reliable fun, you bought a Honda. If you wanted reliable fun luxury, you bought an Acura. Today, those are exact opposites.

People used to buy Hondas because they were reliable, practical, and a hoot to drive. They didn't use to be appliances so to speak, they were actually enjoyable. Never were M3 killers but the 3G TL did give the E46 and E90 a run for it's money.
I get that everyone keeps harking back to the golden days of hondacura, but I just don't see that things have changed all that much. 3g came out at the end of the e46 cycle which ended in '06. is it possible that when you were younger these cars seemed more fun than they would to you now?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Now you're just grabbing at straws.

The decision to go more boring is definitely a financial one, one that's helped during the recession. But now that the recession is over, it's going to start hurting unless they really start to ramp up the excitement. People want new stuff, people want cool stuff, people want fun, people want satisfaction now. They do not want boring cars that are priced similar to far less boring and more prestigious cars.
tlx is selling well so far, not sure what else to say there.

They were never "exciting" so to speak but damn were they fun to drive. A lot of those old Hondas could driven for years without ever losing that smile on your face. They'd never get your heart pumping so to speak but you'd never be bored. And the best part is that when you were done driving like a 5 year old kid, they wouldn't break down at all. Even today, you can drive your S2k to the track, race it, and drive it back home without changing parts. Most of the BMW people either bring spares of everything, different tires, and maybe even trailer their car there. What's the fun in that?
I think you've got a case of nastalgia, which I understand because I feel that way about the e36 m3 I owned many years ago.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

You know who else didn't get a U.S. govt hand out? Toyota. And during the recession they gave us the Lexus LFA.
toyotazine?

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News