Acura: RDX News

Old 12-23-2004, 02:09 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
This whole IMA thing is about as overrated as Paris Hilton.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
This whole IMA thing is about as overrated as Paris Hilton.
Dude, it's more than just about fuel economy....it's also about a "greener" car.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevens24
Remember that the TSX gets a HP boost for next year as well.

Is that a fact
Old 12-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by STL
Dude, it's more than just about fuel economy....it's also about a "greener" car.
Meh, Honda's iCTDi diesel is "greener" but you don't see them selling that in the US.

Yeah, where's all this "TSX is getting a boost in power" info coming from?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Meh, Honda's iCTDi diesel is "greener" but you don't see them selling that in the US.

Yeah, where's all this "TSX is getting a boost in power" info coming from?

I'd be all over a deisel CR-V like a fat kid on icecream.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:38 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

That is because the american public thinks all diesels are dirty. It would be a hard sell to convince people here they can be "green". OTOH, the average joe will be much more willing to jump on the IMA bandwagon. Besides, IMA is still barely out of it's infancy -- unlike diesel design. I'm sure in due time IMA will become even greener, and I just don't think diesel will be able to keep up.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Safety Car

IMA doesn't operate as the sole engine of a car, so connected to a diesel it would be greener than IMA connected to a gas engine.

Hope the new civic offers the ictdi to go against the golf tdi.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Any update on the RD-X, folks? Can't wait to see it in Toronto's Autoshow this February.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
standard integrated foglights eh?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:59 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
That is because the american public thinks all diesels are dirty.
Late breaking news: diesels are dirty.

Even with modern improvements, diesel engines puke more pollutants per volume of cc exhaust than the equivalent size gasoline engine. As evidence of this, visit any major city that has a high percentage of diesel cars, ie: London - blow your nose in the shower, and you'll find nice black mucous in your hand. Yep, very tasty.

As for IMA and hybrid tech, I'm all for getting great mpg - but until the long term battery life issues are known - I'll take a pass. Can just imagine already the piles of batteries from 20 milion vehicles wasting landfill space and leaching into the ground. Hopefully the auto industry will figure out how to recycle them effectively.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by PistonFan
Late breaking news: diesels are dirty.

Even with modern improvements, diesel engines puke more pollutants per volume of cc exhaust than the equivalent size gasoline engine. As evidence of this, visit any major city that has a high percentage of diesel cars, ie: London - blow your nose in the shower, and you'll find nice black mucous in your hand. Yep, very tasty.
Only true for older truck/bus applications. The Honda iCTDi is just as clean as some of their gas equivalents. Plus even if the emissions per cc were the same, since the milage is better on the diesel, the per mile exhaust is less! There was an article many years ago that Volvo bandied about at the time - the exhaust emissions were cleaner than the air that went into the engine (of course they did this in a rather poluted area). I'm sure this even more true today.
BTW - that dirty mucous is mostly from the burning of coal and other things, not diesel.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:40 AM
I feel the need...

Not well versed on the iCTDi engine, but I'll take your word on it. A co-worker of mine has a Passat TDI - has gobs of torque and averages 40 mpg.

PistonFan: who'd like see the gov't give tax breaks for people driving LEV's as well as hybrids.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Race Director

PistonFan: who'd like see the gov't give tax breaks for people driving LEV's as well as hybrids.
Won't happen - most of the other makers will cry foul as it be giving Honda a "subsidy".
Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 AM
I feel the need...

Yah - wishfull thinking I know. Anyways, am looking forward to seeing the RDX in two weeks at the show.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro

According to what I read today, Honda has NO plans to have a hybrid SUV in the next three years.

So I guess that a RD-X w/ IMA is out of the question right now.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Yah - wishfull thinking I know. Anyways, am looking forward to seeing the RDX in two weeks at the show.
Pictures, pictures, and pictures, plz! If you can also pay attention to its size relatively to the current MDX, that'd be appreciated. I really like the MDX; however it seems too big for my needs right now.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
According to what I read today, Honda has NO plans to have a hybrid SUV in the next three years.

Hmm - that seems odd.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know what this bad boy will cost? My wife is interested in it. Wassup Prov.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by provench
Hmm - that seems odd.
From Automotive News:

Hybrid SUV not in Honda's 3-year plan
Unlike Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co. has no plans to build hybrid SUVs in the next three years. "For now, we are not thinking about it" for the three-year plan starting in April, says Honda President Takeo Fukui.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted

Well ... this no longer seems odd to me. I can't say why, but for those looking for V6 and/or IMA on the RDX ... might need to wait for another vehicle (next gen MDX?). The engine in the RDX is likely to be very familiar to the TSX crew in fact

...and wassup Jason ... ya stranger
Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Pro

I've heard of the turbo i-4 rumor but nothing set in stone. It would be nice if the actual "truck" looked like the sketches but from the photo that was posted on-line, the front looks to be too soft looking.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
You really have to take what Honda says with a grain of salt. The HSC vehicle from the auto shows was denied as being the next NSX successor by Honda. I bet we're going to see something very similar when the new NSX does come out, and it'll probably be pushing more than the 350hp the concept had.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Well ... this no longer seems odd to me. I can't say why, but for those looking for V6 and/or IMA on the RDX ... might need to wait for another vehicle (next gen MDX?). The engine in the RDX is likely to be very familiar to the TSX crew in fact
I actually like it better that the RD-X would have 4 cylinders. I mean that's what really separates it from the MDX, right? Giving the current gas price and Acura vehicles take premium fuel, I don't want to own a big vehicle such as the MDX unless I absolutely have to.

Now the only question is: how does the production version really look like comparing what we've seen on those sketches?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justinjsw
RD-X...2.4 I-VTEC/200HP IMA/50HP Total output 250HP AWD 6 Sp transmission.
This was a while ago he said this, so I am still optimistic that we will see hybrid power.

B.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro

In retro spec, is it possible for the President of Honda to only mean Honda and not Acura. Now, that I think of it, thecarconnection indicated that along with the RD-X and Ridgeline Honda is suppose to show a Honda SUV Hybrid.

Who knows what that company is up to. True the HSC was scrapped as apparently it didn't meet Acura's standards. The NSX was also suppose to be killed off but it will not be after all. I read somewhere that Honda's focus was going to be passenger cars/SUV's and not high end Halo cars. But with Toyota coming out with a sports car, they changed their minds. If the RD-X does indeed have IMA that would be great! I would then like to see a sport trimed TSX with IMA.

I guess we'll have to wait until the NAIAS.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

I cant wait until the RDX comes out, this might be my next vehicle!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by brutus
This was a while ago he said this, so I am still optimistic that we will see hybrid power.

B.
I wish we could be ... but that optimism is just not warranted any more. We'll have to see something else with IMA. I have confirmation on no IMA on RDX, but not support of the 3 year comment. The RDX looks like it is gonna be a super-CRV at this point.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

If I was going to put money on it, I would say the TSX will be the first IMA Acura.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Advanced

I wish we could be ... but that optimism is just not warranted any more. We'll have to see something else with IMA. I have confirmation on no IMA on RDX, but not support of the 3 year comment. The RDX looks like it is gonna be a super-CRV at this point.
Well, this is extremely dissapointing!, I am not so sure I have as much interest in this vehicle anymore, man it would sell like hotcakes if it was marketed as a hybrid, what are they thinking.

Honda/Acura you are keeeeeeling me.

B.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brutus
Well, this is extremely dissapointing!, I am not so sure I have as much interest in this vehicle anymore, man it would sell like hotcakes if it was marketed as a hybrid, what are they thinking.

Honda/Acura you are keeeeeeling me.

B.
I don't know, but personally I still consider hybrid as a nice-to-have sort of thing. Sure, it'd be great but it also means the price would be higher.

We all agree that Acura desparately needs another SUV/Crossover in its current line-up. Having only the MDX puts too much limitation on consumers. So the RD-X couldn't come at a better time. So what if it's only 4 cylinders without hybrid, it's still going to sell well because of its smaller size and fuel-efficiency. CRV-owners love their cars but most dislike its interior. Let's hope that they've done a better job with the RD-X.

Perhaps in a couple of years we can see a hybrid RDX.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sorry, I fell behind this thread and don't feel like going back to read. What engine is this thing going to have?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by domn
Sorry, I fell behind this thread and don't feel like going back to read. What engine is this thing going to have?
This was the information originally posted by justinjsw:
RD-X...2.4 I-VTEC/200HP IMA/50HP Total output 250HP AWD 6 Sp transmission.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cheque
I don't know, but personally I still consider hybrid as a nice-to-have sort of thing. Sure, it'd be great but it also means the price would be higher.

We all agree that Acura desparately needs another SUV/Crossover in its current line-up. Having only the MDX puts too much limitation on consumers. So the RD-X couldn't come at a better time. So what if it's only 4 cylinders without hybrid, it's still going to sell well because of its smaller size and fuel-efficiency. CRV-owners love their cars but most dislike its interior. Let's hope that they've done a better job with the RD-X.

Perhaps in a couple of years we can see a hybrid RDX.

I totally agree the CR-V interior pales in comparison to every other Honda spare the Civic and is in desperate need of a more up to date and upscale look. Hopefully the RDX will have a more TSX dash and use Acura level interior plastics and fabrics. But those upscale appointments mean more weight. The CRV SE just came out with leather and various safety upgrades and it's pushing 3500lbs. After adding in Acura refinement how much can we expect the RDX to weigh in at? and how sporty will it be with only a 4cyl from the TSX, if that is the case? The TSX weighs in at roughly 200lbs more than a 4cyl EX Accord it the RDX weighs in at 200lbs more than a CRV then were talking about a 3700lbs SUV with 200hp?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by domn
Think TSX engine + some marginal HP increase ... and think no IMA.

I gotta tell you ... not having IMA is a disappointment ... not then getting a 3.0 V6 is a fatal blow IMO. I trust where I got this info so I think Acura might have just lost a good chunk with drivetrain selection on the RDX.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Yes the 3.0L is a minimum IMO. Can't see why they wouldn't use it Unless ala TSX a V6 won't fit which makes sense. Then again, if it is based off the next gen CR-V chassis, you'd think Honda would have designed it so that a V6 would be at least optional?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Race Director

What's with all of this IMA/hybrid need? Reading posts in several forums people seem to think IMA is like god to cars. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.
Of course the thing will carry over the TSX/CR-V drivetrain it's small ute. That's what Honda use in its small utes/sedans. Like Nissan, Honda will drivetrain whore that combo into everything it can.
I doubt the RDX will weigh that much. It will weigh the same as the CR-V which hopefully will get on a diet for the next version. As it is the CR-V (like some other Acura models) is a tweener size, bigger than small utes like RAV4 and Xtrail but a little smaller than real midsized ones. If they shrink it just a bit, the weight should also come down.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

What's with all of this IMA/hybrid need? Reading posts in several forums people seem to think IMA is like god to cars. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.
Of course the thing will carry over the TSX/CR-V drivetrain it's small ute. That's what Honda use in its small utes/sedans. Like Nissan, Honda will drivetrain whore that combo into everything it can.
I doubt the RDX will weigh that much. It will weigh the same as the CR-V which hopefully will get on a diet for the next version. As it is the CR-V (like some other Acura models) is a tweener size, bigger than small utes like RAV4 and Xtrail but a little smaller than real midsized ones. If they shrink it just a bit, the weight should also come down.

IMA - I agree.

Using the K24 - If the RD-X is based off the CURRENT CR-V platform then I can understand why no V6 would be available. But I envisioned the next gen CR-V available with a small V6 to better compete against most other utes out there that offer a V6, A segment that now includes the Tucson and Kia equivalent BTW. Designing an SUV platform that will not accept a V6 is IMO a huge mistake.

And its not as though the RD-X or new CR-V will step on the MDX's or Pilots toes because it has a V6. Those are much larger vehicles that use much largers V6 engines.

And why not make better/more use of the gem that is the 3.0L V6. Its a crime that that engine isn't available in more cars. I would have loved to see a 3.0L Ody.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

....Like Nissan, Honda will drivetrain whore that combo into everything it can....
Drivetrain whore....

No one will beat Nissan at that. VQs for everyone!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah - I guess I was just looking for diffentiation from the CRV and a K24 with 220HP just isn't going to get things off to a good start ... at all. Hope the I4 small SUV will be for some folks ... just won't be for me. But as of late, I am leaning more towards larger sport sedan for my next car ... or maybe just drop A-spec suspension setup + CT S/C on my TSX and be done with it I am watching for the SH-AWD TL ... in 2-3 years that'll be what I wanna be in I think (as of today ).

The only thing that might change that is a 30-35K AWD V6 based small SUV from Acura ... doesn't look like that is going to happen as the RDX to MDX gap looks like it is going to be a larger one at this point.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Race Director

A good way to tell if the RD-X will be able to take a V6 is to look under the hood of the new Civic in the fall - it will share the platform probably.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: RDX News