Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
And none of this would have been such a big deal, if Acura/Honda kept their mouths shut about the NSX development.

Instead of announcing the car 3 years in advance, talk about other cars it is bench marking, etc., they should've just stayed quiet for as long as possible.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
it will be good if they had done 0-150mph test. I am sure NSX will near the top. braking distance also good for NSX. it is not Audi that will fall apart after few years. you can get NSX at base price of $157k. Audi you have to pay $192 as base.
You should take a read through every Acura model page here on AZ and see how many issues are still occurring with the lineup. The RLX is just over 2 years old and it is showing a plethora of problems. This is completely unacceptable for a flagship sedan.

Back in the day, you could drive a fully optioned out Acura Legend for 6 years before you showed any first signs of problems. Give your head a shake.

Last I heard, Audi has been improving in the long term reliability department. The same cannot be said about Acura, as they continue to slide. Troll.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
it will be good if they had done 0-150mph test. I am sure NSX will near the top. braking distance also good for NSX. it is not Audi that will fall apart after few years. you can get NSX at base price of $157k. Audi you have to pay $192 as base.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yes, BUT it did have dealer installed R compound tires on it as well as acura sent someone along with the car to set it up and check it over.
The Trofeo R is one of the NSX OEM tire choices (3 choices total IIRC). With that said, this tire model isn't as good as the one's from Chevy - which has the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Exactly. And iforyou is on drugs. The original NSX was considered a handling monster in it's day. It wasn't crazy fast in a straight line, but it did shine in the corners. The whole reason for going aluminum suspension and body? Oh yeah- to stay lightweight for handling and breaking purposes.

I got into an argument about the nsx vs R32 back in the s2000 thread a long time ago and yeah... it was proven the NSX was able to outhandle the R32 even though it had AWD.

The original was purpose built. No idea what you're talking about. Purpose built with GT comforts (for its time)

Also, no idea what iforyou is talking about, but from what I'm seeing, the gt350R beat the NSX by 0.25 seconds.
Lol, tell you something, the 1g NSX has been my dream car since I was 10. I'm still deeply in love with this car, but I'm not blind enough to say it's a handling monster. When people say it's got good handling, what they meant is that, compared to the exotics at that time, the NSX's handling was much more predictable and user-friendly. It can corner very quickly too, without compromising the ride comfort. It has nothing to do with having the fastest cornering speeds. The GT-R, is just as fast, if not faster.

Check this best motoring video of the NSX vs R32 GTR. Note that the NSX got a head start:

It is the NSX Type R that would outcornering almost anything, and can keep up with many cars with way more power.

GT350R: 2:51.8
Car and Driver

NSX: 2:50.2
Car and Driver

You're ludicrous, right? You just bought a 200k car and you have to mod it to keep up with the competition right off the bat? You do realize that any mod for the nsx will be stupid expensive, right? Super low production numbers plus hey, it's a super car, so immediate parts markup. An exhaust alone will likely be 5k+
Think people who can afford a $200k car can spend more than the average joe on car parts...if they really want to get into the modding scene?

Are the Acura engineers inept? No, I too would say they are not inept. I will say that they decided to take the car in a wrong direction though. They chose electronic technology over performance. Was that the right decision? Well, for many, no. For many, yes. I have no idea what he demographic split on it is, but it's kind of dissapointing from the get go. Once again Acura settled for mediocrity as opposed to being at the forefront. And they could have been at the forefront. A shitty mustang, that even one generation ago, couldn't handle or tackle a track for the life of it. And now it outshines a car that costs 3-4 times more.
The problem here is that, you are comparing a everyday supercar, to a car more prepped for the track. Guess what, the Mustang GT350R is also faster than the even more expensive R8 V10 Plus (2:56 at VIR). An even bigger gap. Even the Camaro SS 1LE is faster. So the new R8 must suck right?
Car and Driver

While I'm at it, the $180k Jaguar F-Type Project 7 is also slower.

And none of this would have been such a big deal, if Acura/Honda kept their mouths shut about the NSX development.

Instead of announcing the car 3 years in advance, talk about other cars it is bench marking, etc., they should've just stayed quiet for as long as possible.
The problem is, years ago, Honda had absolutely to show for (yup, their fault). That was the time with the 9G Civic, 8G Accord, no S2000, etc. That was their new low pretty much and was desperate to come up with something exciting.

With that said, the likes of GT-R and LFA, they were announced well before the production versions came out too.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Are the Acura engineers inept? No, I too would say they are not inept. I will say that they decided to take the car in a wrong direction though. They chose electronic technology over performance. Was that the right decision? Well, for many, no. For many, yes. I have no idea what he demographic split on it is, but it's kind of dissapointing from the get go. Once again Acura settled for mediocrity as opposed to being at the forefront. And they could have been at the forefront. A shitty mustang, that even one generation ago, couldn't handle or tackle a track for the life of it. And now it outshines a car that costs 3-4 times more.
I won't say they chose electronic technology over performance, they choose various technology components over more traditional components. To think a Honda/Acura engineer in Ohio said, "I'm going with the non-performance solution for this problem" is kinda silly to say the least. The NSX was Honda's technology showcase vehicle, everything was the nifty brake by wire, hot metal tube forming of the A-pillars, hybrid torque steer, carbon floor pans, to the sole purpose Cosworth built motor block and heads just to name a few. There's alot going on with 2G NSX, and the hybrid drive tech is similar technology that the very high end exotics share (918, P1, LaFerrari).

Although alot of folks on this forum claim it's a failure, to me it's a "B" overall rating I was expecting better performance. From reading both C&D and MT, it sounds like the front end suspension design/engineering is still giving handling problems which I think is the main reason for the mid-tier track times. The fact that it lacks confidence in feedback and road communication as well as vehical dynamics/kinematics . Although it's heavy, it's not much heavier than a C7 Grand Sport and these tests were run with very similar street rated track tires on the various vehicles. It's performance and luxury are similar to the R8, it's just dumbfounding to think these two high-tech AWD mid-engine $200k exotic cars are out-performed by two American front-engine RWD V8 sports cars, and one with a pushrod NA V8 at that. The real winner to me is the C7 and GT350R, which shows just how far Detroit has come in the past decade.

In the past GM and Ford could build nice looking fast cars but didn't take the time and money to refine them. Lotus showed GM what could be done with the C4 (when GM owned Lotus), with minor tweaks to the chassis and suspension but GM wasn't interested. Pretty impressive what Tadge Juechter and his team came up with on the C7, all on their own. Sometimes it pays to track test, refine, and retest various concepts and designs before setting out for production. Something Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, and Lotus have know for decades that it sometimes takes alot of empirical trail and error at the track to get things right in vehicle design and engineering. i.e. BMW typically developed over 20 different suspension bushings to find the optimal solution of compliance, feedback, friction, and isolation. So while alot of the NSX tech looked good on a PowerPoint and modeling, it doesn't always translate to results at the track. Honda built alot of 2G NSX prototypes so I'm wondering how much variation testing was done on key components?

As for the NSX? Dunno, but if I was chief engineer on the NSX I'd have the chassis team focused on refining/revising/redesigning the suspension design (especially the front end feel/feedback) through mechanical and electronic means.
The rest of the car seems pretty solid, perhaps next year it'll get closer to the 488 and 570.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-23-2016 at 12:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
Costco (09-23-2016), iforyou (09-23-2016), nist7 (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
after over a decade of R&D and a B overall rating is a failure, especially if you consider what the original NSX had accomplished.

It does not have the best interior
It does not have the fastest laptime among competitors
It is not the fastest in straight
It does not have the best exterior
It is not the cheapest
It does not out handle its competitors
It is not the lightest
It is not purposely built, unless the purpose was being average.

It is not great at anything but good at everything, so pretty much the same as any other Acura in its lineup.

I remember when the R35 GTR first came out, it was so fast in straight and in the corners that many could not believe it. It destroyed almost all the supercars at 1/3 of the price. It might not be the most rewarding car to drive but it was really great at something.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-23-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Those are your opinion, not facts.
You and everyone else know those are highly subjective and not factual.

Never driven one, but have read alot on the 1G NSX and it's design/development and history.
Pretty interesting car to say the least, but that was then this is now so's it's also irrelevant in many ways.

The big issue I see with the 2G NSX is that I don't see any reviews saying how well balanced it is.
That's very important to work out overall performance, inspires confidence and driving fun to me.
It's also something that's incredible hard to engineer unless you have ALOT of prior experience in particular field.
Hence the reason I commend GM and Ford, they make both Audi and Honda look bad with their cars especially the C7 which is not only very high in performance but also is very good in overall quality and has a very nice interior.

And it's not a decade of R&D for this particular car it was a decade of R&D for multiple prototype development which is a important distinction.
It's more like 4 years for this design and development for this particular NSX which got kinda redesigned when the chassis and such had to be redesigned to go from transverse V6 to longitudinal turbo V6.

There's ALOT going on with the 2G NSX in terms of technology and a wealth of system integration.
Some of it works (everyone liked the DBW brakes which surprised me), some needs some work (handling and steering feel/feedback).
Perhaps Honda Ohio should build a Weissach or Fiorano like track in their backyard so they can go out everyday and test.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
after over a decade of R&D and a B overall rating is a failure, especially if you consider what the original NSX had accomplished.

It does not have the fastest laptop among competitors
It is not the cheapest
It is not the lightest

It is not great at anything but good at everything, so pretty much the same as any other Acura in its lineup.

I remember when the R35 GTR first came out, it was so fast in straight and in the corners that many could not believe it. It destroyed almost all the supercars at 1/3 of the price. It might not be the most rewarding car to drive but it was really great at something.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-23-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Ok let's be factual

Fact - based on the order chart, all NSX are around $200k. Not the cheapest. Even at base MSRP that no one will have for many years, $150k+, still not the cheapest.
Fact - based on the laptime and published 1/4 time, it is not the fastest in straight or in the corner
Fact - it took over a decade in the R&D
Fact - 1G NSX is still relevant because the new one is called NSX! You think all previous gens of iconic cars like Corvette, M3, 911 have no influence or relevance to the new ones?
Fact - in order for it to be called purposely built sports car, it has to outshine its competitors at something... MPG? Ok, if that was the purpose of NSX.

And it's not a decade of R&D for this particular car it was a decade of R&D for multiple prototype development which is a important distinction.
what is the distinction? just because Honda scratched the RWD V10 and went back to the drawing board many times does not mean the clock starts over again.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-23-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Indeed. Acura chose to take this car in a different direction. And as Legend2TL said, I think it is true that they chose the 2G NSX as a tech showcase vehicle that basically is "good" at everything...but not "great" in one particular regard (track times, acceleration, weight, interior/luxury, technologies, etc.) It does hit the styling/looks out of the park so that is one area where I think most people will agree on.

While I too share the sentiment that I wished they had done more into the performance sector. It's a jack of all trades and a master of none.

What is interesting again is how many % of prospective buyers are diehard car enthusiasts (in the performance sense that will go to forums like AZine or regularly read/watch car reviews from CD, MT, the myriad youtube/video reviewers, or read online car blogs. Because from the more hard enthusiast circles, the NSX is not having its praise sung.

We also know that we are a very small minority of the car buying public.

Originally Posted by AZuser
Soccer moms who want a slightly nicer Honda SUV/CUV?
Hehe, pretty much most of the Acura lineup is for the soccer moms.

And the NSX is for the select few soccer moms who have husbands who can afford a 200k car.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Although alot of folks on this forum claim it's a failure, to me it's a "B" overall rating I was expecting better performance. From reading both C&D and MT, it sounds like the front end suspension design/engineering is still giving handling problems which I think is the main reason for the mid-tier track times. The fact that it lacks confidence in feedback and road communication as well as vehical dynamics/kinematics . Although it's heavy, it's not much heavier than a C7 Grand Sport and these tests were run with very similar street rated track tires on the various vehicles. It's performance and luxury are similar to the R8, it's just dumbfounding to think these two high-tech AWD mid-engine $200k exotic cars are out-performed by two American front-engine RWD V8 sports cars, and one with a pushrod NA V8 at that. The real winner to me is the C7 and GT350R, which shows just how far Detroit has come in the past decade.
Agree with these thoughts. This really shows the incredible performance value of Ford/GM. They are hanging in with cars costing way more.

This may have already been posted (since its July news) but Acura did buy a GT3 as another benchmark vehicle during NSX development and when Acura took it in to get a recall service, Porsche apparently was able to deduce that the car actually belonged to the NSX Development Team and left a little note under the hood for Honda....

Many manufacturers buy cars from other makers to benchmark while they are developing a new vehicle.Hondawas no different when it was developing the Ohio-built Acura NSX. One of its purchases was the highly regarded Porsche 911 GT3, bought to assess its steering, vehicle dynamics project leader Nick Robinson told Automotive News.

Usually, makers go to dealerships just like regular customers, and the rival carmaker is none the wiser. Except these days, with ever more information being stored in the vehicle's black box, a rogue customer is easier to spot.

Porsche realized that this particular customer was Honda's NSX development team after the GT3 was recalled to fix an issue with the engine connecting rods. When the car was returned, Robinson remembers, the team found a message written under the engine cover: "Good luck Honda from Porsche. See you on the other side."

To develop the $157,800 hybrid, the Honda team also bought a McLaren 12C. The car needed to return to the dealership a few times for remedial work, but McLaren didn't quite catch on.

Said Robinson: "They wanted to know, where did you go 205 mph? What track?"
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...out-by-porsche
Old 09-23-2016, 01:42 PM
AZ Community Team

The underlining of your posting quoted in my previous post are not factual.

As for these, #1 and #2 are factual.
#3 is highly subjective since officially the current concept of the NSX was released in January 2012. Prior work was R&D but for different high performance project (V10 Front engine/Rear Drive) never released.
#4 and # 5 are your opinion.

You should read up Ford CEO Mulally and 500/Taurus naming sometimes it's just a car name as simple as that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_T...on_and_revival

Ok let's be factual

Fact - based on the order chart, all NSX are around $200k. Not the cheapest. Even at base MSRP that no one will have for many years, $150k+, still not the cheapest.
Fact - based on the laptime and published 1/4 time, it is not the fastest in straight or in the corner
Subjective - it took over a decade in the R&D
Your Opinion - 1G NSX is still relevant because the new one is called NSX! You think all previous gens of iconic cars like Corvette, M3, 911 have no influence or relevance to the new ones?
Your Opinion - in order for it to be called purposely built sports car, it has to outshine its competitors at something... MPG? Ok, if that was the purpose of NSX.

what is the distinction? just because Honda scratched the RWD V10 and went back to the drawing board many times does not mean the clock starts over again.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
A shitty mustang, that even one generation ago, couldn't handle or tackle a track for the life of it. And now it outshines a car that costs 3-4 times more.
Hyperbole, I'm sure... but slow your roll there. A previous gen, shitty Mustang GT (2011 with the Coyote 5.0) was neck and neck with an E92 M3 with almost every measurable performance metric. And when it came to the Boss 302 vs. the M3... let's not go there. It was faster than an R8.

And yes I'm talking laptimes too

Last edited by Costco; 09-23-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

you are saying NSX only took 3 years of R&D before it was road tested?? What does the R stand for in R&D?

Name is more than just name in ANY consumer product business, it has everything to do with the history, prestige, reputation and perception. Those will have impact on its value, expectations, how well it sells, and more realistically the asking price.

No one would give a shit about the new NSX if not because of the old NSX. This thread will not have 191 pages if it is not because of the 1G NSX. The main reason why Honda can sell as many Civics and Accord today is because those names represent something.

As for the 500/Taurus name - they are pretty much the same POS car. they could call it whatever they wanted, it would not have made any difference since no one really cared about the FWD Taurus anyways,

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-23-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Team Owner

i did read it, i dont see how it is relevant. Taurus that had no significance at all vs. iconic names like NSX, 911, Corvette, M3, Mustangs and etc...

For example, Acura can rename its RLX to whatever they want. Does not matter. Vs. Chevy renames Corvette to ________
Old 09-23-2016, 02:16 PM

There's a common saying directed towards those who make excuses for losing in a race.

Run what you brung

Chalk it up to a fail on Acura's R&D department. And regardless of what anyone thinks, Acura will likely have no problem selling most, if not all examples produced, at least in the first few years. People laughed at the thought of a $400k Lexus, but most were accounted for quickly. Then again production was only in the hundreds.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

yah i dont think anyone here had ever doubted that Acura will sell every single NSX they produce, at least for the first few years.

There is a sucker for everything.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:22 PM
AZ Community Team

^ you're contradicting yourself in your sentences by saying the car names are important then unimportant.

And no it's not factual but marketing perception in overall car naming.
Sometimes there's a clean start, sometimes there's a revival of the old name.
Been that way for decades, whether it's a Porsche Cayman/911 or a Ford Focus/150.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 PM
AZ Community Team

FWIW, once a auto manufacturer has decided to produce a new vehicle once they have all their fancy marketing studies and business cases all together, the first engineering step in the process is design and development.
In the auto industry (and other area's) R&D is typically used for researching a particular technology or component and further advancing it's technology readiness level (TRL).
So while R&D worked on stability control, autonomous vehicles technology, radar based active safety systems, electric drivetrains,...they are not developing a car.
So if you wanna blame someone for the 2G NSX or whatever vehicle you wish, you blame design and development engineering assuming they got all the right requirements.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-23-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:40 PM

FWIW, once a auto manufacturer has decided to produce a new vehicle once they have all their fancy marketing studies and business cases all together, the first engineering step in the process is design and development.
R&D is typically used for researching a particular technology or component and further advancing it's technology readiness level (TRL).
So while R&D worked on autonomous vehicles technology (LIDAR and ALOT of S/W), or radar based active safety systems, they are not producing a set car.
I actually put marketing in my post as well, after realizing it was more than just R&D, but I was on my phone... not sure what happened there.

But, semantics. k
Old 09-23-2016, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
yah i dont think anyone here had ever doubted that Acura will sell every single NSX they produce, at least for the first few years.

There is a sucker for everything.
Hey. I wouldn't mind being being able to choose between a 2G NSX, a R8, a 911 Turbo S and a 570S when shopping for my next toy and somehow got suckered into the NSX.

Personally the NSX won't likely be on top of my list either if I were hypothetically able to afford a 200k car....but again different buyers prioritize different things and 99% of us who talk about all these cars will never in our life drive one nevertheless be in a situation to own one. The 1%-2% who are the target demographic for these cars are likely not majority car enthusiasts (as the general public are not car enthusiasts) and may not take in to account the same things we do as we discuss things here.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

^ you're contradicting yourself in your sentences by saying the car names are important then unimportant.

And no it's not factual but marketing perception in overall car naming.
Sometimes there's a clean start, sometimes there's a revival of the old name.
Been that way for decades, whether it's a Porsche Cayman/911 or a Ford Focus/150.
Ok let me put it in a way that you can understand.

SOME names which i have indicated with the word "iconic" with my previous replies have significant value, prestige, perception which have a direct impact on all future models. (NSX)

SOME names that no one gives a shit about could be gone without people noticing. (Ford Taurus/500) Revival or discontinue would not make any difference.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nist7
Hey. I wouldn't mind being being able to choose between a 2G NSX, a R8, a 911 Turbo S and a 570S when shopping for my next toy and somehow got suckered into the NSX.

Personally the NSX won't likely be on top of my list either if I were hypothetically able to afford a 200k car....but again different buyers prioritize different things and 99% of us who talk about all these cars will never in our life drive one nevertheless be in a situation to own one. The 1%-2% who are the target demographic for these cars are likely not majority car enthusiasts (as the general public are not car enthusiasts) and may not take in to account the same things we do as we discuss things here.
Correct. I would not mind owning any one of them because i can't afford it
But if we all had $200k to spend on a toy, NSX and i8 will be on the bottom of my list.

But we are not talking about reality here, since the 99% of us all have very boring life compare to the top 1%.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

It does not have the fastest laptime among competitors
It is not the fastest in straight
It is not the cheapest
It is not the lightest

It just show you don't know anything about cars. NSX is the most refined and comfortable car in its class. It's gold standard in handling in all weather and all road conditions.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 PM
AZ Community Team

I understood you the first time, I was merely pointing out your contradicted yourself and it was also your opinion.
And while almost all of us on this forum get the NSX, I doubt the NSX has no where near the name recognition that other high performance cars have.

Ok let me put it in a way that you can understand.

SOME names which i have indicated with the word "iconic" with my previous replies have significant value, prestige, perception which have a direct impact on all future models. (NSX)

SOME names that no one gives a shit about could be gone without people noticing. (Ford Taurus/500) Revival or discontinue would not make any difference.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-23-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Agree with these thoughts. This really shows the incredible performance value of Ford/GM. They are hanging in with cars costing way more.

This may have already been posted (since its July news) but Acura did buy a GT3 as another benchmark vehicle during NSX development and when Acura took it in to get a recall service, Porsche apparently was able to deduce that the car actually belonged to the NSX Development Team and left a little note under the hood for Honda....

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...out-by-porsche
And I forgot to mention the C7 GS outperformed the McLaren 570, even despite the 570 having a carbon tub, weighting ~250lb less, and a 102HP more powerful twin turbo V8.
Imagine what a Z06 or Z07 could have done.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,966 Likes on 5,137 Posts
And I forgot to mention the C7 GS outperformed the McLaren 570, even despite the 570 having a carbon tub, weighting ~250lb less, and a 102HP more powerful twin turbo V8.
Imagine what a Z06 or Z07 could have done.
there was something screwy with that result - the 570S should have smoked the C7 GS.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Hehe, pretty much most of the Acura lineup is for the soccer moms.

And the NSX is for the select few soccer moms who have husbands who can afford a 200k car.
Fairly accurate. None of you will admit it except maybe iforyou, but we should be grateful that Acura actually pulled through and PRODUCED this car. An Acura with 570 hp.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM

It just show you don't know anything about cars. NSX is the most refined and comfortable car in its class. It's gold standard in handling in all weather and all road conditions.
Dude totally. oonowindoo is a big dumb stupidhead. I would take the NSX over all of the competition in that test. I would even pay more for the optional super MPG all-season race slicks.

SSFTSX for site admin!
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
oonowindoo (09-23-2016), ttribe (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The NSX name stands for New Car eXperimental. This pretty much rules out the NSX being a traditional supercar......at least for the base model. If you read about what Ted Klaus says about the NSX, it would be easy to understand what and why they chose to go with the current route for the NSX. Now, whether you agree with what they have done is a totally different topic.

In terms of bang for the buck, the 1g NSX was not known for that either. As proven in my previous post, the R32 GT-R was more than a match for the NSX in a straight line and on a track - all at a fraction of the price.
- The 1g NSX wasn't the cheapest
- The 1g NSX wasn't the fastest
- The 1g NSX didn't have the fastest lap

If you want a track-ready 1g NSX, you'll need the NSX-R. Honda took 120kg away, made the suspension 100% stiffer, and added a bit of power to it. I can see Honda doing similar things to the 2G NSX too.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Team Owner

I understood you the first time, I was merely pointing out your contradicted yourself and it was also your opinion.
And while almost all of us on this forum get the NSX, I doubt the NSX has no where near the name recognition that other high performance cars have.
i still dont know how i contradicted myself. Because i said they will be sold out?

Old 09-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Who will win? NSX with factory all season tires or RLX with upgraded tires.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 PM

Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
there was something screwy with that result - the 570S should have smoked the C7 GS.
Just seen the test results from the MT test. The 570S runs 10.7 @ 132 in the 1/4. The GS does 11.8 @ 118. Not even remotely close.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:03 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Again from MT:

Old 09-24-2016, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
The Trofeo R is one of the NSX OEM tire choices (3 choices total IIRC). With that said, this tire model isn't as good as the one's from Chevy - which has the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Yes it is an oem tire option, but its an R compound. Evidence of how big a diffetence iy makes is compare the difference in results against the R8 between the c&d and motor trend. On street tires the R8 walks it.
Even had it had the michelin it wouldn't have touched the vette.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Don't forget Acura's statements about benchmarking against the Ferrari 458 during development...and then the 488 came out almost a year before the NSX finally hit the market.
Like I said, they were benchmarking it against outgoing models. Their bar should have been much higher knowing that.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
More interested in the GT350 and upcoming Z/28 then I am the NSX lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by VR1:
crazyasiantl (09-28-2016), TacoBello (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 PM

Like I said, they were benchmarking it against outgoing models. Their bar should have been much higher knowing that.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Who will win? NSX with factory all season tires or RLX with upgraded tires.
Remember just changing the transmission on MDX from 6sp to 9sp cut half a second from 0-60mile. NSX is just beginning of its era.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Yes it is an oem tire option, but its an R compound. Evidence of how big a diffetence iy makes is compare the difference in results against the R8 between the c&d and motor trend. On street tires the R8 walks it.
Even had it had the michelin it wouldn't have touched the vette.
The R on the P ZERO™ TROFEO R is just a nomenclature that it's a higher performance version of their TROFEO line that as Srika pointed out is a NSX OEM tire from Acura. .
None the less, the NSX was ~6 seconds quicker than the R8 at VIR which is substantial amount of time. I still have to read the C&D article and their notes/tech sheet.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo..._trofeo_r.html
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ttribe
Don't forget Acura's statements about benchmarking against the Ferrari 458 during development...and then the 488 came out almost a year before the NSX finally hit the market.
What's interesting from the MT historic VIR tracks tests is that the 2012 458 was just 0.3 sec faster than the NSX, however the 2016 488 is 5.1 sec faster.

So yeah, I also have to wonder why the Honda engineers in Ohio and Japan were not going for a higher level as most of the time when you introduce a car you compare to other current cars but also be aware that you're in the start of the car's lifecycle so there should be a capacity available to evol.

Again the big take away I see is the C7 Z06 is faster than the 488 and 650, for a front engine supercharged single cam pushrod V8 2 valve/cyl that costs a fraction of those mid-engine 650 and 488 with their twin turbo, quad cam, 4 valve/cyl V8's. Honda should have tried to poach Tadge Juechter from GM.

Lightning Lap 2016: Results, Historical Lap Times, and More ? Feature ? Car and Driver

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-26-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News