Acura: MDX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Because both ZF and BMW are Germans. They speaks in their own language, no translation needed unlike for Chrysler (English) and for Honda (Japanese).
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Because both ZF and BMW are Germans. They speaks in their own language, no translation needed unlike for Chrysler (English) and for Honda (Japanese).
That's definitely not it.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
LOL I'm sure Ed was being sarcastic. Can you imagine our MDX going HAYAKU! and the ZF tranny is like Was? Ich verstehe nicht! Oh! Sie wollen schnell gehen! Can't blame the dog clutches then
kurtatx (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 Acura MDX First Look Review - Motor Trend

New beak along with a new hybrid drive train.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Much better looking. Would love if it over all could be a little more sporty looking but the new front bumper and grill look good to me.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Azine Jabroni

I don't hate it. I wish it was part of a bigger refresh, but I know the MDX isn't due.

I really am more interested in updates to sedans

Last edited by kurtatx; 03-23-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:20 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Press Release

Refreshed 2017 Acura MDX Makes World Debut in New York with Bold New Styling, Upgraded Features and Sport Hybrid Powertrain - Honda News

Refreshed 2017 Acura MDX Makes World Debut in New York with Bold New Styling, Upgraded Features and Sport Hybrid Powertrain

Mar 23, 2016 - NEW YORK
  • 2017 MDX showcases new diamond pentagon grille first seen on the Acura Precision Concept
  • New Sport Hybrid powertrain delivers the ultimate in power and control while gaining 35 horsepower and anticipated to add 7 mpg to city fuel economy rating
  • AcuraWatch™ safety and driver assist technology to be offered as standard equipment on all 2017 MDX models

Acura today unveiled the restyled and refreshed 2017 MDX luxury SUV featuring bold new styling, added luxury features and available Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) powertrain technology. The 2017 Acura MDX will be equipped with AcuraWatch™ on all grades, making MDX the first luxury SUV in its class to offer these advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, including automatic emergency braking, as standard features. The 2017 MDX is slated to go on sale at Acura dealerships nationwide this summer and will be joined by the MDX Sport Hybrid later in the year.

Showcasing the new face of Acura, the restyled 2017 MDX is highlighted by the bold and distinctive diamond pentagon grille, first seen on the Acura Precision Concept that debuted at the North American International Auto Show in January. The new Acura grille is integrated with a more sharply sculpted hood, front fascia and front fenders coupled with new LED fog lights and restyled Jewel Eye™ headlights, which enhance the MDX's distinctive and sporting demeanor. A new chrome rocker panel design adds an element of contrast to the MDX's profile, while a revised rear bumper, body colored skid garnish and the addition of twin tailpipes further emphasizes the performance character of the 2017 Acura MDX.

"Upping the performance pedigree of the MDX with bold styling, our exclusive Sport Hybrid powertrain and the standard application of AcuraWatch technologies that many in the industry refer to as semi-autonomous, represents a major injection of Acura's Precision Crafted Performance DNA," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "These changes will continue to advance MDX's competitiveness and its legacy as the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time."

All 2017 MDX models benefit from increased standard luxury and technology features, including an Electric Parking Brake with Automatic Brake Hold, Auto High Beam headlights, SiriusXM Radio® 2.0 and four 2.5-amp USB charging ports. Technology and Advance packages add Bi-Directional Keyless Remote Engine Start, two new 20-inch wheel and tire options, power folding side mirrors, and HD Traffic. In addition to these features, Advance grades add LED fog lights, genuine Olive Ash Burl or Black Limba wood interior trim, a heated steering wheel and Surround-View Camera System with six selectable viewing angles. Advance models can also be equipped with two second-row captain's chairs and a center console with two additional USB ports, replacing the three-person second-row seating found on lower grades. An ultra-widescreen Rear Entertainment System is also available on models with the Advance ENT Package.

MDX Sport Hybrid

The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid is the third model to feature Acura's innovative three-motor Sport Hybrid SH-AWD powertrain, joining the Acura NSX supercar and RLX flagship sedan to deliver the ultimate in power and control. The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid is powered by a 3.0-liter SOHC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) mated to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (7DCT) with an integrated electric motor powering the front wheels, and a Twin Motor Unit with two electric motors providing power to the rear wheels. Additionally, the system delivers electrified torque vectoring for improved straight line performance and cornering precision in combination with all-wheel-drive power application. Peak powertrain output of 325 horsepower is up 35 horsepower over the non-hybrid model. The MDX Sport Hybrid is anticipated to receive EPA fuel economy ratings of 25/26/26 (city/highway/combined), an estimated 7-mpg city fuel economy rating increase over the (non-hybrid) MDX with SH-AWD.

The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid will be available with Technology and Advance packages. Both add a new Active Sport Suspension that delivers improved ride quality, handling performance and is integrated with the Integrated Dynamics System featuring the dynamic modes of Comfort, Normal and Sport, and exclusive to Sport Hybrid models, a new Sport+ mode.

AcuraWatch Standard

All 2017 MDX models receive the AcuraWatch suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technology as standard equipment, including Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). AcuraWatch uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision. Moreover, with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and Lane Keeping Assist, AcuraWatch can significantly decrease the driver's workload during freeway cruising by maintaining a set speed and following interval, initiating both braking and throttle inputs, and adding steering input to help the driver maintain their position in the detected lane.

The Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time and Acura's best-selling SUV, with sales topping 50,000 units in each of the past three years. The 2017 MDX was designed by the Acura Design Studio in Torrance, Calif., developed and engineered at the R&D center in Raymond, Ohio, and will continue to be produced at the company's Lincoln, Ala. auto plant using domestic and globally sourced parts. In early 2017, an additional production source for MDX will be added at the East Liberty, Ohio auto plant.

Curious3GTL (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Much better.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM
_

Aside from chrome trim on front and rear bumpers and rocker panels, I like really it.

So... do chrome door handles + chrome trim on front and rear bumpers + chrome trim on rocker panels = super duper ultra luxury?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Looks great, when's it go on sale?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by AZuser
Aside from chrome trim on front and rear bumpers and rocker panels, I like really it.

So... do chrome door handles + chrome trim on front and rear bumpers + chrome trim on rocker panels = super duper ultra luxury?
Until I get a fully redesigned sedan with the new "Precision Concept" styling, the verdict is still out on Acura's design, IMHO. This is a necessary, but somewhat insufficient facelift. The problem with the MDX is the body. It's still a porker and the face doesn't fit the body at all, IMHO.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM
_

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Looks great, when's it go on sale?
Last sentence of 1st paragraph of Press Release states:

The 2017 MDX is slated to go on sale at Acura dealerships nationwide this summer and will be joined by the MDX Sport Hybrid later in the year.
Summer starts June 20, 2016, so I'm thinking in June, July, or August?

Last edited by AZuser; 03-23-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Curious3GTL (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Not a fan of the huge Acura badge.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
The hybrid MDX is down 52 hp from the RLX with the same drivetrain. I wonder how much the MDX can tow as the RLX is 0 in hybrid form?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I don't love it, either. It's a little too gaudy, IMHO.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by pcloadletter
The hybrid MDX is down 52 hp from the RLX with the same drivetrain. I wonder how much the MDX can tow as the RLX is 0 in hybrid form?
Looks very nice! Not a fan of the wood in the pictures but that may be due to lighting. I'm liking the 2nd row chairs with the center console area!

Hybrid is down 52HP because it's a 3.0L V6 that's SOHC (not DOHC as some places are claiming) vs the RLX's 3.5L V6. The choice to downsize is a really smart one, it allows 6-7 MPG increase in the city by cutting away .5L from the engine and using all the instant torque from the electric motors.

If the sport hybrid had a 3.5L model, I'd be in line today to buy it.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by pcloadletter
Your username is infuriating.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
kurtatx (03-24-2016), ttribe (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The front grill looks HUGE. Not a fan of the beak, but I like the beak better.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I don't love it, either. It's a little too gaudy, IMHO.
Agreed. That's a REALLY BIG "A"!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
haha the logo up front is really big..lol..

Like the exposed exhaust tips, new grille, 7-DCT, sport hybrid system.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like a Kia , and the body needs work. It makes the truck look soft. They need to make it more aggressive looking. The previous Gen still looks better and much more sporty IMO.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool C&d

2017 Acura MDX

In announcing the updated-for-2017 MDX, Acura has a little bit for everybody. For the typical luxury three-row crossover shopper, there is delight to be had in Acura making its AcuraWatch safety features—including automatic emergency braking—standard on every MDX. For driving enthusiasts who need an MDX because their litter of kids won’t fit in a Mazda MX-5 Miata, Acura now is offering its “3-motor” Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system.

More Super Handling

The Sport Hybrid’s SH-AWD setup shares its basic layout with that of the NSX supercar, albeit flipped 180 degrees to suit the front-engine MDX. As in the NSX, there is a V-6 engine with a supplemental electric motor at 1 end of the car and 2 electric motors located at the opposite end. Here, the layout mimics that of the Acura RLX sedan’s Sport Hybrid variation, with the gas-fed V-6 and its integrated electric motor powering the front wheels and the twin electric motors feeding the rear wheels. Instead of the 3.5-liter engine in the regular MDX, the Sport Hybrid’s V-6 engine displaces 3.0 liters and incorporates a fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation feature. (We’re told the MDX’s packaging precluded the bigger 6’s fitment together with the electric bits.)

With all 3 electric motors and the smaller V-6 working together, the MDX Sport Hybrid puts out 325 horsepower—35 more than the regular MDX’s 3.5-liter 6. The V-6 itself contributes 257 horsepower, and the rest comes from the electric motors. Other differences? The Sport Hybrid’s front electric motor is incorporated within a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission while the standard MDX uses a conventional 9-speed automatic. At the rear axle, the Sport Hybrid’s dual electric motors deliver torque-vectoring, while the all-wheel-drive gas model does the same via a rear differential. Compared with the RLX sedan, the MDX’s Sport Hybrid system is down 52 horsepower and lacks the ability to propel the car solely on electricity using the rear motors. Still, the sport-oriented MDX looks to have other hybrid crossovers such as the Lexus RX450h and the Infiniti QX60 thoroughly beat on the excitement front.

The Sport Hybrid system also offers fuel-economy benefits. Although official EPA figures are still to come, Acura estimates that the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid will get 25 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. That city figure is a full 7 mpg higher than the all-wheel-drive 2016 MDX’s EPA estimate, and 6 mpg better than the AWD 2016 model with the optional stop-start system. (The highway figure is unchanged.) We expect the EPA ratings for the non-hybrid 2017 MDX won’t change from the 2016 model’s 19/27 mpg city/highway with front-wheel drive and 18/26 with all-wheel drive.

Where’s the Beak?

For all the under-the-skin changes to the 2017 MDX, the most evident difference is right on its face. The MDX becomes the 1st mainstream Acura to ditch the brand’s signature metal “shield” grille; besides resembling an avian snout, the old design was more brutal than beautiful. The new grille is a streamlined, pentagon-shaped piece derived from that on the Precision concept that debuted at January’s Detroit auto show. Acura also reshaped the LED headlights, the hood, and the fenders to accommodate the new look. Elsewhere, there’s a splash of chrome on the rocker panels, a new rear bumper, and integrated dual exhaust outlets. Overall, the updates give the MDX a cleaner, lower, and wider look. As to the aforementioned safety gear, every MDX buyer now gets automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, forward-collision warning, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and road-departure mitigation.

In adding new tech, ditching the beak, and offering a hybrid model, Acura has made effective improvements to its popular 3-row family hauler that should only expand its appeal. The standard model launches this summer, while the Sport Hybrid arrives a few months later.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 MDX owner here - I like the 2017 - no more beak! Makes me eager to see the TLX refresh (along with the exhaust!) -- if there is a TLX Type S might have to consider it - probably won't line up with my lease schedule though.

Its too bad this isn't a full re-design since I'm guessing the grille could have been a lot smaller, but since this is a refresh the grille area originally had to accommodate the beak so it is a lot bigger. Love that there is a visible exhaust outlets too.

One thing I don't quite understand is the captain's chairs in the 2nd row - On the Toyota Highlander the center console on the 2nd row collapses so someone can squeeze between the seats to get to the 3rd row and on the Honda Pilot the center console sits low so you could potentially climb over it. On the MDX - it looks like it is in the way - so basically you lose the middle seat in the 2nd row - but don't gain the ability to pass through the 2nd row. I wonder if the 2nd row seats can move forward with a car seat installed - they can't in the 2014 MDX with bench seating (other cars can do this - they just slide all the way forward with the back staying straight).

The Pilot and Highlander both also can seat 3 in the 3rd row while the MDX appears to still only seat 2 in the 3rd row. Will be interesting to see what the RX350L is like from Lexus.

I probably should just get a minivan - but they are actually a lot longer than the MDX/Pilot/Highlander and wouldn't fit in my garage!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Hybrid is down 52HP because it's a 3.0L V6 that's SOHC (not DOHC as some places are claiming) vs the RLX's 3.5L V6. The choice to downsize is a really smart one, it allows 6-7 MPG increase in the city by cutting away .5L from the engine and using all the instant torque from the electric motors.

If the sport hybrid had a 3.5L model, I'd be in line today to buy it.
Just my guess, but I'm willing to bet the same drivetrain goes into a TLX Sport Hybrid model.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
Just my guess, but I'm willing to bet the same drivetrain goes into a TLX Sport Hybrid model.
That's what I was thinking. Would be nice if they kept the 3.5 with the SH-SH-AWD, but we all know that wont happen.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
That's what I was thinking. Would be nice if they kept the 3.5 with the SH-SH-AWD, but we all know that wont happen.
I feel like Acura did this to keep the rlx shshawd somewhat unique. They seem to love to pair the mdx with the tlx as equivalents and the rdx maybe with the ilx?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
love it love it love it. porker? yeah it has to haul 7 passengers its gonna be big. big gaudy acura emblem? hell yeah its an Acura and proud of it! hatters keep hating! this version is still gonna out sell your ML's, X5's, QX60s, etc etc. hate on!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Looks like a Kia , and the body needs work. It makes the truck look soft. They need to make it more aggressive looking. The previous Gen still looks better and much more sporty IMO.

Exactly what I thought the new front looked like. I think the new black mesh grille looks like cheap aftermarket garbage. Doesn't suit the personality of the car. Well done Acura, another bad looking grille.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cjTL
Exactly what I thought the new front looked like. I think the new black mesh grille looks like cheap aftermarket garbage. Doesn't suit the personality of the car. Well done Acura, another bad looking grille.
this coming from a ford edge owner !!??!?! are you serious? ford has cheap garbage written all over it. come on dude.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I dig it. Quite refreshing...and I have no problems with the size of the A. And yay exhaust tips!

I agree that the MDX can use a little more muscularity - like the lines from the 2nd gen.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice
I dig it. Quite refreshing...and I have no problems with the size of the A. And yay exhaust tips!

I agree that the MDX can use a little more muscularity - like the lines from the 2nd gen.
agreed, a bit more fender flare to give that wide aggressive look would be nice.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally, real wood!!!!!!!! I like this, can't wait to see the rest of the line-up once they're redesigned. I kind of like the TLX how it is, but it could use SOME updating. I hope they don't ruin it
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tristann616
Finally, real wood!!!!!!!! I like this, can't wait to see the rest of the line-up once they're redesigned. I kind of like the TLX how it is, but it could use SOME updating. I hope they don't ruin it
with Ikeda in charge i dont think they will screw it up this time.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I like the new look. Glad the beak is gone.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
That superman grille looks like a slapped on afterthought in photos.

And its so damn huge the bottom of the diamond hangs lows and looks like a goofy over bite.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
That superman grille looks like a slapped on afterthought in photos.

And its so damn huge the bottom of the diamond hangs lows and looks like a goofy over bite.
blah blah blah
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Nexx
blah blah blah
Ohhh, watch out, big dick swingin right hurr...
Old 03-24-2016, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Ohhh, watch out, big dick swingin right hurr...
blah blah blah blah... go blah blah blah on your dodge forums.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:55 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Nexx
Whoopee da dee look at me, Im the Acura Avenger...Im here to try "smackdown" any one who has anything negative to say about Acura...just look at all my recent posts, Im a tough guy!
At least my Dodge has balls.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:22 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Agreed. That's a REALLY BIG "A"!
When compared with the MB sedans, the MB's "Tri-star" front badge is just as big.

Maybe a super-large front logo is what defines a real luxury branded vehicle.

Quick Reply: Acura: MDX News