Acura: ILX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I had a 1986 Prelude Si and my wife (g/f at the time) had a 1986 Integra. Both fun to drive cars.

But if you get a chance, ride/drive a new Accord Sport. I did recently and the new Accord Sport model is very fun and 6MT. Like the good old Honda days
If the Accord sport came with leather, nav, sunroof, and all the other toys all the other Accords get, I'd probably buy one. Why it can't come like that is beyond me. Unfortunately, it's a stripped down version of what I'd ideally want and therefore off the table for me.

All because Honda NA hates us.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
If the Accord sport came with leather, nav, sunroof, and all the other toys all the other Accords get, I'd probably buy one. Why it can't come like that is beyond me. Unfortunately, it's a stripped down version of what I'd ideally want and therefore off the table for me.

Yep! I love all the bells and whistles in my Accord EX-L Navi/Hal3000/Skynet

Now give me a 6MT option!!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts

I can live without leather and Nav, but I do like the moonroof.
However the Sport is also ~200lb and $6K less than the EX-L.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I can live without leather
1996 called...

Awesome. You'll beat me to the next set of lights by 0.1 seconds. Whoa!

By the way, bitches love base models. Because race car.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Oh wow. I'm pretty sure that giant direction arrow negates any aesthetic gains from the symmetry of the left and right wheels, which should only bother you if you look at both sides at the same time.

Also, it seems like most people can't agree which direction is the right one. Should the spiral spin forwards or backwards? It seems totally random. Not to mention the tire rotation issue that people mentioned, and I would actually pay extra to NOT have directional wheels.

At least Audi doesn't seem to believe in them, maybe they and Acura are the only ones?

I have these on my car:

The direction issue is probably why these days most wheels are symmetrical or almost symmetrical.

This reminds me of the door latches discussion.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TacoBello
1996 called...

Awesome. You'll beat me to the next set of lights by 0.1 seconds. Whoa!

By the way, bitches love base models. Because race car.
By the way, bitches love clueless dudes

Because Accord line is
LX
Sport
EX
EX-L
EX-L V-6
Touring

and besides we're already rocking a 96 Accord EX with cloth seats.

Reason the Prelude (2200 lb) and Integra (2500 lb) were fun to drive was they were light and nimble (especially on back roads). Not powerful but fun to drive.

Race car?

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-25-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

I can live without leather and Nav, but I do like the moonroof.
IDGAF. I'm not out street racing, I just want something comfortable and fun to drive that comes with all the bells and whistles. I'm willing to sacrifice the 200lbs and pony up an extra $6k to get an EX-L with Nav and a 6MT. It's worth it to me.
TacoBello (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

By the way, bitches love clueless dudes

Because Accord line is
LX
Sport
EX
EX-L
EX-L V-6
Touring

and besides we're already rocking a 96 Accord EX with cloth seats.

Besides reason I liked my Prelude (2200 lb) and Integra (2500 lb) were fun to drive cause they were light and nimble (especially on back roads). Not powerful but fun to drive.

Race car?
Right. So what I'm saying is the "sport" is a base model. Okay, one step up, but pretty much base.

I hear what you're saying about light and nimble cars, but if that's what you're looking for, the new Accord is the wrong car. A large family sedan is not intended to be light or nimble. Back in the day the Accord WAS, but man, those great days are sadly history.

personally, I wish the TSX was the accord like everywhere else in the world. North Americans are too big for that shit though lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

IDGAF. I'm not out street racing, I just want something comfortable and fun to drive that comes with all the bells and whistles. I'm willing to sacrifice the 200lbs and pony up an extra $6k to get an EX-L with Nav and a 6MT. It's worth it to me.
Yeah that's what I'm talking about!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM
AZ Community Team

That's fine, but I'm not into street racing either. My pet peeve is cars that keep increasing weight fro gen to gen. Something I thought the 9G Accord addressed well. As for the bells and whistles, some people want it all I prefer something fun and sporty to drive that weighted less with a 6MT.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Also, it seems like most people can't agree which direction is the right one. Should the spiral spin forwards or backwards? It seems totally random. Not to mention the tire rotation issue that people mentioned, and I would actually pay extra to NOT have directional wheels.
You can still rotate front to back/back to front.

Don't know if you ever got the IS350, but with that you wouldn't have been able to rotate at all since the tires are staggered.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Yep! I love all the bells and whistles in my Accord EX-L Navi/Hal3000/Skynet

Now give me a 6MT option!!

You guys need to move to Canada. Honda offers the I4 6MT combo on the LX, Sport, and Touring trims here.

What's more? For the 6MT Touring trim, we also have heated rear seats AND 18" rims.

And the price is quite attractive at CAD$30,850, which is equivalent to USD $27500.

You guys are getting shafted by Honda big time lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by iforyou
You guys need to move to Canada. Honda offers the I4 6MT combo on the LX, Sport, and Touring trims here.

What's more? For the 6MT Touring trim, we also have heated rear seats AND 18" rims.

And the price is quite attractive at CAD$30,850, which is equivalent to USD $27500.

But then I'd have to live in Canada...

Though I really wish they'd bring the Touring 6MT here. I honestly would probably buy one right now.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea....I'm just surprised that Honda NA is offering the Touring I4 trim and 6MT for that many trims in Canada but not in the US. I mean if Canada doesn't have those trims and/or 6MT, then fine, I can understand that they don't want to set up the production plant(s) for too many 6MT trims. One of the many stupid decisions that Honda makes.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
You guys need to move to Canada.
Absolutely not.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Oh I know it.. my mother is Canadian and lives in Ontario half of the year. I looked into an Accord for her and noticed all those things we don't get here, despite 9 times the population.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Oh I know it.. my mother is Canadian and lives in Ontario half of the year. I looked into an Accord for her and noticed all those things we don't get here, despite 9 times the population.
Remember, Honda even hates you.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Do Canadians drive manuals at a higher rate than Americans?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

No, I don't think so. If there is a difference, it's minimal at best.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Right. So what I'm saying is the "sport" is a base model. Okay, one step up, but pretty much base.

I hear what you're saying about light and nimble cars, but if that's what you're looking for, the new Accord is the wrong car. A large family sedan is not intended to be light or nimble. Back in the day the Accord WAS, but man, those great days are sadly history.

personally, I wish the TSX was the accord like everywhere else in the world. North Americans are too big for that shit though lol.
meh, in terms of base there's plenty of features. Contentization of features and functions has resulted in even low-end models having most convenient options

Heck even the base LX (Honda dropped the DX entry model long ago) has climate control, rear discs, alloy wheels, power locks/mirrors/windows, remote entry, Bluetooth, SMS text on driver display,...

Base Accord today is not the base of the 90's

In terms of weight, although the Accord Sport is <3300 lb not <2800 lb like the S2000 it's also not 4000 lbs like many other family sedans. I drove one recently and was fun to drive. I wish it had stiffer sway bars, and perhaps bigger brakes but you can't always get what you want. It's passe here to praise a Honda, but the new Accord especially the Sport is quite a decent car.

Car and Driver had a Sport 6MT for a long term test and were also impressed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wrap-up-review

IIRC I've driven all Accord generations but the 8G and none were as good as the 9G for overall package.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

Sport list
Technical Features
189-hp (SAE Net), 2.4-Liter, 16-Valve, DOHC i-VTEC® 4-Cylinder Engine with Direct Injection
Drive-by-Wire Throttle System
Eco Assist™ System
Active Noise Cancellation™ (ANC)
Active Sound Control
Hill Start Assist
ULEV-2/LEV3-SULEV30/PZEV CARB Emissions Rating[2]
MacPherson Strut Front Suspension
Multi-Link Rear Suspension
Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS)
18-Inch Alloy Wheels

Exterior Features
Security System with Remote Entry
Projector-Beam Halogen Headlights with Auto-On/Off
Fog Lights
One-Touch Turn Indicators
Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors, including Expanded View Driver's Mirror
Body-Colored Decklid Spoiler
Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Chrome Door Handles
Chrome Exhaust Finishers

Interior Features
Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control with Air-Filtration System
i-MID with 8-Inch High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Screen, Customizable Feature Settings and Interface Dial
Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®[5]
SMS Text Message Function[17]
Power Windows with Auto-Up/Down Driver's Window
Cruise Control
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Illuminated Steering Wheel-Mounted Cruise, Audio, Phone and i-MID Controls
Tilt and Telescopic Steering Column
Map Lights
Driver's Seat with 10-Way Power Adjustment, Including Power Lumbar Support
Fold-Down Rear Seatback with Center Armrest
160-Watt AM/FM/CD Audio System with 4 Speakers
Pandora® Compatibility[7]
Bluetooth® Streaming Audio[5]
USB Audio Interface[8]
MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack
Exterior Temperature Indicator

Safety Features
Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control[3]
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
Brake Assist
Rearview Camera with Dynamic Guidelines[4]
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)[18]
Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure
Dual-Stage, Multiple-Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
SmartVent® Front Side Airbags
Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor
Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH): Lower Anchors (2nd-Row Outboard), Tether Anchors (2nd-Row All)

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-30-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Before I picked up my Sport, I actually considered an EX with the intent of getting picking up an OEM-style lip spoiler, Takeda axle back, and an 18" aftermarket wheel/tire pkg.

But decided against it, as it's only secondary car in our household and wanted to keep the cost to a minimum without going too base. (If it were a primary car, I'd have picked up an EX-L V6 Navi and not look back.)

That said, it's fantastic car and I can't think of a better buy @ the $20k price point. To wit, I have ZERO regrets on this purchase....and it's a far better car than my old 12 EX sedan.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

meh, in terms of base there's plenty of features. Contentization of features and functions has resulted in even low-end models having most convenient options

Heck even the base LX (Honda dropped the DX entry model long ago) has climate control, rear discs, alloy wheels, power locks/mirrors/windows, remote entry, Bluetooth, SMS text on driver display,...

Base Accord today is not the base of the 90's

In terms of weight, although the Accord Sport is <3300 lb not <2800 lb like the S2000 it's also not 4000 lbs like many other family sedans. I drove one recently and was fun to drive. I wish it had stiffer sway bars, and perhaps bigger brakes but you can't always get what you want. It's passe here to praise a Honda, but the new Accord especially the Sport is quite a decent car.

Car and Driver had a Sport 6MT for a long term test and were also impressed.

2013 Honda Accord Sport Sedan Long-Term Test Wrap-Up ? Review ? Car and Driver

IIRC I've driven all Accord generations but the 8G and none were as good as the 9G for overall package.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

Sport list
blah, my 6 year old TL has most of those features.

In all seriousness, I do think the Accord Sport is a good car and I'd love to have one if it came with all the features that I want. Why can't the Sport come with leather, heated seats, navi, sunroof (seriously why not this?), etc? It's fine for Honda to offer a lower end Accord manual but also offer the higher end version just like they do for the coupe and did in the past (7G). People that want manuals either want them for cost (cheap base model) or for fun (expensive high end model). They'd be able to sell either extreme but not in the middle.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
blah, my 6 year old TL has most of those features.

In all seriousness, I do think the Accord Sport is a good car and I'd love to have one if it came with all the features that I want. Why can't the Sport come with leather, heated seats, navi, sunroof (seriously why not this?), etc? It's fine for Honda to offer a lower end Accord manual but also offer the higher end version just like they do for the coupe and did in the past (7G). People that want manuals either want them for cost (cheap base model) or for fun (expensive high end model). They'd be able to sell either extreme but not in the middle.
Because who would buy EX, EXL, Touring if Sports comes with those?

The best solution is to drop Sport trim and make it into a sport option to all trims except for LX.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Because who would buy EX, EXL, Touring if Sports comes with those?

The best solution is to drop Sport trim and make it into a sport option to all trims except for LX.
Agreed. Add sport package and a 6MT option to all trims (except maybe the Touring level) and call it a day. I'll go to the dealership this weekend if that's the case. The TL is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm itching for something else. At this point, another Honda is not in contention.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM
_

Price increases smaller than I expected. Much better value than before.

2015 ILX 5-Speed Automatic = $27,050 + Destination*
2015 ILX 5-Speed Automatic with Premium Package = $29,350 + Destination*
2015 ILX 5-Speed Automatic with Technology Package = $31,750 + Destination*
2015 ILX 6-Speed Manual with Premium Package = $29,350 + Destination*

* Destination = $920

2016 ILX = $27,900 + Destination* (+ $850 vs 2015 model)
2016 ILX with AcuraWatch Plus = $29,200 + Destination*
2016 ILX with Premium Package = $29,900 + Destination* (+ $550 vs 2015 model)
2016 ILX with Premium and A-SPEC Package = $31,890 + Destination*
2016 ILX with Technology Plus Package = $32,900 + Destination* (+ $1,150 vs 2015 model)
2016 ILX with Technology Plus and A-SPEC Package = $34,890 + Destination*

* Destination = $920
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

good for ILX, bad for TLX.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
good for ILX, bad for TLX.
Bad for Acura.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Azine Jabroni

C&D: Acura ILX Could Get Honda’s New Turbo Four, But Will the Tuners Return?
Acura is in the process of waking up its product line—and not just on the outside. At the media launch of the considerably improved 2016 Acura ILX, we asked Acura product planner Gary Robinson when we might see a turbocharged version of Honda’s new 2.0-liter “Earth Dreams” four-banger under the hood of Acura’s smallest sedan.

In typical Honda/Acura fashion, Robinson wouldn’t confirm anything outright, but he did open the door a crack. “Acura is always going to get the best engines Honda makes,” he said. And the cars in which they will be found “will always be more powerful” than their Honda counterparts. “Obviously, a 2.0-liter turbo is more of a must-have in the luxury world than it is in the mainstream world, so . . . ”

If that immediately sends visions of an ILX Type-S dancing through your head—one with, say, more than 300 horsepower—you aren’t alone. The turbo engine is due in some Honda products by the end of this year, and we fully expect that Honda will install a 300-plus-hp version of the turbo four-banger in some form of U.S.-market Civic in the future. We think an even more powerful ILX Type-S would be pretty awesome, especially if it came with a manual transmission. (Save the Manuals!) However, Robinson tamped down expectations for the ILX’s near-term performance aspirations, stating that such a thing would require so much re-engineering that it probably wouldn’t come until the car’s full redesign, likely in 2018 for the 2019 model year.

He hopes, however, that a turbo engine would help to re-engage the tuners lost to other brands during the last decade or so. “Younger people that I know, that are into that kind of world, they would have been the guys who had fixed-up Civics. And now [they] buy used BMW turbos and they get chips and they get all this power out of them. The tuner has now become more of a programmer instead of a mechanic, and so I’m curious if in the future we’ll reignite [that flame] in a new way.

“Tuners were such a big part of our fan base in the old days. [But] vehicles like [the current ILX], they’re not particularly tuneable. And obviously, turbos are. They’re perfect for the millennials’ unwillingness to wait for anything,” he said jokingly. “It’s like, ‘You want more power? Here you go.’ ”
Consider yourself Pre-Honda'd
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Butt, we told them this 10 years ago.

its like that one Ex that always comes back.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Butt, we told them this 10 years ago.

its like that one Ex that always comes back.
They never fully listen.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 AM
_

In typical Honda/Acura fashion, Robinson wouldn’t confirm anything outright, but he did open the door a crack. “Acura is always going to get the best engines Honda makes,” he said.
... which are, for the most part, the same engines found in your everyday Honda.
The following 5 users liked this post by AZuser:
fsttyms1 (02-11-2015), justnspace (02-11-2015), MeehowsBRZ (02-12-2015), oonowindoo (02-13-2015), ttribe (02-12-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AZuser
... which are, for the most part, the same engines found in your everyday Honda.

been using the same engine architecture since 1996
Old 02-11-2015, 04:41 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Most reviews look pretty good. Not sure how much this would hurt the sales of TLX. Though I feel that $4k difference is still quite substantial?
vp55 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Azine Jabroni

Most reviews look pretty good. Not sure how much this would hurt the sales of TLX. Though I feel that $4k difference is still quite substantial?
I bet the ILX has no effect on the TLX and the ILX still doesn't sell. Hope I'm wrong
Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Why is that? Just wondering.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Azine Jabroni

Why is that? Just wondering.
TLX is bigger. Most average Acura buyers (non-enthusiasts) don't care that the ILX has the same deal but lighter. ILX is still a Civic and TLX is still an Accord.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by kurtatx
TLX is bigger. Most average Acura buyers (non-enthusiasts) don't care that the ILX has the same deal but lighter. ILX is still a Civic and TLX is still an Accord.
I see.

Here's how I see it.

There's a noticeable difference in size between the TLX and ILX as you'd mentioned. I'd think that some people might feel the TLX being a bit too big, and might prefer a more compact car such as the ILX.

I think you have a good point that non-enthusiasts will not care much about how the ILX is 400lb lighter than the TLX for better performance and possibly handling. But I'd imagine they do appreciate slightly better mpg, as well as a rather significant cost saving (about $3.5k for base to base).

Going back to the non-enthusiast point, are you saying that this group of people would know that the ILX is based on the Civic? If they do know about that, would you think people who opt for the Audi A3 would know that the A3 is based on the Golf platform?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Going back to the non-enthusiast point, are you saying that this group of people would know that the ILX is based on the Civic? If they do know about that, would you think people who opt for the Audi A3 would know that the A3 is based on the Golf platform?
One major difference between the Audi A3 and the VW Golf variants is product reliability.

VW's reliability is notoriously rated poor, whereas Audi's reliability is significantly better in comparison. A big chunk of premium pricing that goes into an Audi vehicle is spent in product reliability improvements.

Thus, a buyer, who opts for an Audi A3 over other VW Golf variants, knows for sure that he/she is getting a more reliable vehicle, when compared to the Golf variants.

But since an ILX and a Civic are both rated very high in terms of product reliability, the distinction between the ILX and the Civic becomes less defined.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 AM
Team Owner

I see.

Here's how I see it.

There's a noticeable difference in size between the TLX and ILX as you'd mentioned. I'd think that some people might feel the TLX being a bit too big, and might prefer a more compact car such as the ILX.

I think you have a good point that non-enthusiasts will not care much about how the ILX is 400lb lighter than the TLX for better performance and possibly handling. But I'd imagine they do appreciate slightly better mpg, as well as a rather significant cost saving (about $3.5k for base to base).

There is also a big group of people who think

Old ILX is ugly or interior is not good enough or 150HP (they don't know what that means but they know it is not a lot)

Now the new ILX is "prettier" with better interior and more features and more power.

With the price difference, this group of people will definitely consider ILX if they had no choice but to get TLX before.

That will translate to loss of sales for TLX.

Quick Reply: Acura: ILX News