Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I don't even see it being sold as a car, per se. More so something you would get at the Honda power center, along with motorbikes, etc.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Honda's new 10-speed AT

" The new automatic was designed and developed by Honda R&D in Tochigi, Japan, and is being manufactured for the Odyssey by Honda in Tallapoosa, Georgia. [...]

"... the initial torque capacity is 275 lb-ft, with enough headroom built into the design to accommodate the expected spread from the new Odyssey throughout the Honda and Acura product lineups."
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think there's another thread talking about the 10AT.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Glad Honda's innovations are spreading from a Minivan to their luxury products.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb SoftWare

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/11/...oftware-desig/

With its 2018 TLX, Acura learns the value of good software design

Oh, and these things are pretty fast, too.
Chris Velazco/Engadget

Acura just pulled back the curtains on a pair of premium sedans — the 2018 TLX and its sportier A-Spec cousin — and they feature a more sporty, aggressive look than the milquetoast models they replace. Fortunately for you road warriors, Acura did more than just give those bodies a makeover — the company redesigned its in-car interface in response to complaints about its complexity. If that seems like a silly thing to get worked up over, just remember that you're probably going to get stuck with your car's software and interface for at least a few years. It's about time car company's started making these infotainment systems less terrible.

In fairness, Acura had a fair bit of work to do. In addition to the usual instrument cluster, the TLX has 2 other displays: a big, bright screen for glancing at information and a touchscreen below that. The problem is, Acura has had trouble figuring out what kind of information should go on each screen, and people didn't really know where to look either. "It was kind of hard for them to tell what information was where," an Acura spokesperson told me before a live band drowned everything out. "So it was really hard for them to use it."

So, after lots of focus testing, Acura mixed things up. Audio controls and related info are now solely located on the touchscreen for easier access, freeing up the bigger screen for navigation (another important feature that was confusing to get to) and data provided by Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay. The company also redesigned the menu invoked by the car's jog dial — it's now an easy-to-parse list, which should hopefully make for fewer mistakes and even fewer accidents. All told, Acura claims this revamped interface is 30 percent "faster" than the older iteration, but we (or our dear cousins at Autoblog) will be the judges of that.

Beyond a software redesign, both the TLX and its A-Spec variant pack active road safety bits (collectively known as AcuraWatch) as standard equipment to keep drivers, passengers and pedestrians safe. We're talking about a collision detection system with automatic braking here, along with adaptive cruise control that works even at low speeds (appropriate for the sort of traffic that's sure to happen here in New York.) Getting all these features as standard sounds like a pretty good deal, but we'll have to wait to be sure — the 2018 models won't hit lots for a little while yet.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Wards

New Acura HMI TLX Interfaces Faster, Easier to Use Technology content from WardsAuto

Acura Aims for Easier, Faster Interfaces

May 5, 2017 Christie Schweinsberg WardsAuto
Comments0A capacitive vs. resistive touchscreen, redone graphics, rearranged hard buttons and faster access to satellite radio stations are new to the ’18 Acura midsize sedan’s infotainment system.
LOUISVILLE, KY – Responding to customer complaints about its lack of user-friendliness, the infotainment system in Acura’s TLX sedan gets a rework to make it faster and easier to use.

“We’ve changed all of the graphics, the user interface and even just speed for the software behind the system,” Jonathon Rivers, Acura senior product planner, tells WardsAuto here at an ’18 TLX media event. “We got rid of some of the redundancy, the things that were causing frustration with customers before.”

On-screen buttons have been rearranged, reshaped and re-colored (from cobalt blue on black to more of a slate blue on black) and new on-screen shortcuts are available.

1 of those new shortcuts allows users to quickly access the car’s heated and ventilated seats via controls that previously had been buried in a menu.

Seat heat and ventilation settings also now can be cycled through via the continuous touch of a single button, negating the need to look away from the road to hunt for dedicated low/medium/high buttons.

The previous TLX infotainment system was so outdated it lacked the nearly 6-year-old SiriusXM 2.0. With the addition of the updated satellite-radio software for the ’18 TLX, logos for the multitude of the satellite radio system’s stations appear on screen.

Navigation between SiriusXM’s hundreds of stations also has been made easier with a new retro-style tuner slider.
“We had a lot of complaints about it (being) really hard to get to the 200(-level) channels, 300(-level) channels,” Rivers says. “(With the tuning bar) you can just slide your finger across (to get to the upper channels).”

A keypad on the same screen as the slider offers more precise direct tuning, allowing users to punch in the number of a desired station.

Acura’s signature and controversial 2 center-stack screens, one upper and one lower, remain onboard the ’18 TLX. However, Rivers says with the addition of standard Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, maps from either service can be kept static on the upper screen while the lower screen’s audio and HVAC controls continue to function.

“On other vehicles, if you’re in your maps navigating, but you want to get to the OEM settings, you have to go here, shift out, do this back and forth. So it’s really nice having a 2-screen setup,” he says.

Other updates to the TLX’s HMI for ’18 include a capacitive vs. resistive touch screen on the lower center stack, meaning users don’t have to push as hard to make a selection, as well as re-labeled and rearranged hard buttons.

A smartphone hard button takes the place of an Audio button (pushing the volume knob still turns the audio system on or off) for fast access to CarPlay or Android Auto after plugging in a phone.

The Back button gets bigger and the Menu button is removed, with the function now paired with Enter on the large knob on the lower center stack.

“It’s just a little bit easier to use things now,” Rivers says. “For example, if you’re on the navigation screen, now you just push in on the main button and it gives you your menu settings.”

Processor speed is claimed to be 30% faster, which Rivers demonstrates by entering an address for a destination on the in-car navigation system.

The ’18 Acura TLX goes on sale in June in the U.S.

cschweinsberg@wardsauto.com
Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
^ that new interface already looks dated before it is out.

Not just Acura, but the whole Japanese luxury brand needs to take a lesson from Germans on how to design their Infotainment interface.

I just do not understand how Samsung, Apple, Sony and other major Electronic giants just can't help their auto makers design something that does not look like it is from the last decade.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-09-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
one of our 2nd gen TSX members helped design the new infotainment center.
but i thought the reviewers mentioned that this new one is better than the last one?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo

Not just Acura, but the whole Japanese luxury brand needs to take a lesson from Germans on how to design their Infotainment interface.

I just do not understand how Samsung, Apple, Sony and other major Electronic giants just can't help their auto makers design something that does not look like it is from the last decade.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
but i thought the reviewers mentioned that this new one is better than the last one?
Because Acura uses blind focus groups and never turns the lights on and steps out side to see whats actually happening in the real world.
justnspace (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
Yah it is better and faster. But that is like saying TLX is better looking than 4G TL. you know what i mean?
justnspace (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I don't think it's "new" as in like totally brand new design. I see it as like a MMC - a facelift to improve existing system.

IMO, the new interface is the one shown in the Precision Concept.

The "new" on in the TLX is just to address a concern with the existing system that it's slow and not user-friendly.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

The Precision Concept is just that.. a concept... No one knows when it will come out and how dumb down it will be when it finally gets released.

Based on what Acura has on hand right now along with their sorry ass backup camera, it is just sad. Missed opportunity if you ask me...
Old 05-11-2017, 12:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I get where you are coming from. Just saying what we see right now isn't for the long term.

What's wrong with the backup cam?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

I am sure it will get improved over time but the issue is they are already so behind and even with this update, they are still behind.

Do you have back up cam in your RDX? if you do, the quality has not improved since then.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think the goal was to make it less outdated, before the new system is ready. I mean it's still limited to the 2-screen system right, which tells us it's not like a brand new design that would reinvent the segment.

Yup, I have a back up cam in the RDX, and it's only a camera, no fixed guidelines, not dynamic guidelines, no sensors, no beeping noise, no multi-view, no bird'e eye view, no pedestrian or cross traffic detection. I test drove the TLX and the 3G MDX and thought those back up cam system are much better. In terms of resolution of display quality, I didn't notice much difference between my camera vs my friend's 2016 528i's camera.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

There is a HUGE difference in resolution. Part of it is because the camera itself and the other part well obviously the resolution between BMW and Acura is like 1080i vs CRT.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Alright, gonna check it out next time! Funny cause I have driven a X1 and a 4 series gran coupe in Germany in 2015 and 2016 respectively with back up cam but the quality didn't catch my attention.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

and that is normal. It does not catch my attention either. However, what did catch my attention was how shitty the TLX and ILX's camera was when i drove it.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

haha I mean i have been driving my RDX for a while and when I drove those Bimmers, I'd have thought the camera quality would catch my attention right away.

I wonder if the MMC TLX has an improved system.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
There is a HUGE difference in resolution. Part of it is because the camera itself and the other part well obviously the resolution between BMW and Acura is like 1080i vs CRT.
The new Honda camera's are excellent, my wife's 2017 CRV backup camera is amazing in resolution, color quality, and sensitivity.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

That is good to hear. I have not seen the newest CRV ones yet.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNews

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...on-rdx-hybrids

Acura's Plans Ride on RDX, Hybrids

July 31, 2017 @ 12:01 am
Will the U.S. get the Acura CDX? If it does, don't expect it before the 2019 model year.Send us a Letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.

After several years of scrubbing its lineup of the long-panned beak grille and revamping its marketing, Acura is about to face its biggest test in recent years: the launch of its 1st redesigned vehicle under this brand reboot, the RDX crossover in 2018. Like its mainstream brother, Acura also has electrification plans for its lineup in the near future.ILX:Riding on the same modular platform as the Honda Civic, Accord and CR-V, a redesigned ILX will likely debut in 2018 as a 2019 model — unless Acura gives it the ax altogether. Never a strong seller, the ILX is down 39 percent this year alone, and it's on pace to barely break 10,000 units for the year. (Good thing it's popular in Canada.) A new model would use the same 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder that currently makes 205 hp in the Civic Si. A performance-oriented model could even drop in the Civic Type R's 2.0-liter turbo 4.

TLX: Acura gave its midsize Euro-fighter a freshening for the 2018 model year that added the new corporate grille and new sheet metal in the front and rear, a host of chassis and refinement upgrades and a new A-Spec trim package. The naturally aspirated 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder powertrains carried over largely unchanged. A redesign is due in 2020 as a 2021 model. It will join the Accord and others on Honda's modular platform. It will likely ditch the current engine lineup in favor of Honda's now-ubiquitous 1.5-liter turbo 4-cylinder and the 2.0-liter turbo 4 from the Type R. Look for either a hybrid or plug-in hybrid by then, too.

RLX: Acura's slow-selling large car is expected to get a freshening in time for the 2018 model year. Look for largely cosmetic upgrades similar to those on the recent TLX update: The metal beak grille will be replaced — by the same diamond signature grille as the TLX and MDX — as will other sheet metal. The current 6-speed automatic gearbox will likely be replaced by Honda's 9- or 10-speed automatic, and hook up to the same 3.5-liter V-6 that's in the current model. A redesign is due in 2019 that should pack more of a visual punch while keeping the same V-6 and hybrid iterations.

CDX:Despite ultra-hot demand for subcompact luxury crossovers, Acura remains mum on whether it will bring the China-only CDX to the U.S. If it does, look for it for the 2019 model year and expect Honda's 1.5-liter 4-cylinder turbo, optional all-wheel drive and clever interior packaging similar to the Fit/HR-V twins. The biggest question is where will it be built? The current version is built only in China, and Honda's global capacity is tight. Unless Honda chose its Celaya, Mexico, ​ plant, which builds the HR-V and some Fits, the CDX could be the 1st Chinese-built Honda product to land in the U.S. (The Canadian Fit was the 1st Chinese-built model to be sold there.)

RDX: A redesigned RDX will be the 1st major model change since Jon Ikeda took over as general manager of the brand in 2015 and the "precision-crafted performance" tag line was resurrected. Expected in early 2018 as a 2019 model, this luxe compact crossover will ride on the same modular platform as the Honda CR-V. Expect Honda's 2.0-liter turbo 4 to replace the current V-6. A hybrid or plug-in will also join the mix this decade.

MDX: The MDX was re-engineered in 2017 with a new front clip and an optional hybrid powertrain. These changes will carry the crossover through until a redesign lands in 2019 as a 2020 model. A plug-in hybrid version of that new generation is likely, though the V-6 is expected to remain the base engine.

NSX: It's not a matter of if the NSX variants arrive but when. Likely iterations include an open-top targa model, an all-electric version and a track-focused Type R model that might even follow the GT3 race car's route and ditch the heavy awd system and perhaps even the electrification, though that would run counter to the current NSX ethos of performance through technology.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Now I know the RDX is next due for a redesign, but I think they should have debuted the full redesign precision concept inspired car with a sedan.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
@ predictions. They're nothing we don't already know.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Team Owner

New TLX isn't coming out until 2020, as a 2021 model?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM
_

Originally Posted by TacoBello
New TLX isn't coming out until 2020, as a 2021 model?
David Undercoffler's probably basing that on the 6 yr run of the 4G TL. I'm expecting the TLX to have a 5 yr run like the 2G and 3G TL, so 2G TLX should be out in 2019 as a 2020. Acura cannot afford to wait another year unless they want to see TLX sales in the gutter. They already have the chassis, transmissions, engines, infotainment system, design language/direction, etc. in place.

David Undercoffler's just making random predictions and guesses. It's a pretty worthless article as it doesn't contain anything new.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It's a worthless article. We can all write one similar lol.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

So is it gonna be the first 2.0T in Acura or still 3.5L V6 on the resign RDX? guess?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Probably 2.0T since RDX did have a boosted 4-banger before...but the 2g RDX has been really successful too so I don't know if Acura wanna make big changes....

If 2.0T, there's a variation of the K20C that is readily available from the Honda Avancier with 268hp and 272lbft. Honda can just tune it to make 275hp instead with premium fuel and that's already more powerful than the current RDX.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM
_

I'd be surprised if Acura stuck another old J series engine in the RDX or any other Acura model for another 5 yr product cycle when they have brand new turbo engines. That'd be plain dumb.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AZuser
I'd be surprised if Acura stuck another old J series engine in the RDX or any other Acura model for another 5 yr product cycle when they have brand new turbo engines. That'd be plain dumb.
But it is their MO especially as of late..
Old 08-08-2017, 12:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I feel like the should offer two engine choices - a 2.0T and a V6. If they don't have a strong V6 ready, then that's where the J series would come in, with sport hybrid.

RDX Turbo: 2.0T 260hp/260lbft
RDX Sport Hybrid: 3.0L V6 hybrid with 320hp/290lbft
Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 PM
_

Originally Posted by iforyou
I feel like the should offer two engine choices - a 2.0T and a V6. If they don't have a strong V6 ready, then that's where the J series would come in, with sport hybrid.

An RDX Sport Hybrid that's as powerful as the MDX Sport Hybrid? And at almost 300 lbs lighter, it'll probably be faster than a MDX Sport Hybrid too.

You just found a way to kill MDX sales
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

I have been surprised many times over the past decade.... i will be surprised if i am not surprised by Acura
Old 08-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou

The issue with SH, is pricing. Acura, especially nowadays, cannot sell anything over $40k. with the exception of MDX since that is the starting point in that segment.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

An RDX Sport Hybrid that's as powerful as the MDX Sport Hybrid? And at almost 300 lbs lighter, it'll probably be faster than a MDX Sport Hybrid too.

You just found a way to kill MDX sales
Exactly. Won't happen. At least not at those power levels. What's the new MDX SH at? 325hp? I can see them giving the RDX 290-295hp. Below the subliminal 300hp mark. Though, hitting 300hp would make for good marketing.

Either way, the RDX and MDX both sell like hot cakes. Generally, people will go for the bigger, lower trim vehicle, over the smaller, better equipped option. More bang for your buck, or some shit. Hence why companies sell a billion lower trim models, over any top trim model of a smaller class (think loaded RDX vs base MDX... which sells more?).
Old 08-08-2017, 02:34 PM
_

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Exactly. Won't happen. At least not at those power levels. What's the new MDX SH at? 325hp?
321 hp, 289 lb-ft

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News