TL: Double Din radio install on 3G Navi TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Din radio install on 3G Navi TL

My Navi does not work, I am planning on replacing the stock radio with aftermarket double din touchscreen, and then replace the navi screen with tablet. I plan on using an aux input on the new radio to get sound from tablet. I will do what others here have done to keep tablet charged and all. My question is this. I have the attached diagram for the wiring harness on the radio, can I cut the harness and do direct wiring to the appropriate wires from my new radio to the now open wires? OR is there something special. I know that the new radio and stock amp may have issues, im not concerned as it isnt necessary to bypass the stock amp, just recommended. I will also use the sub output on the radio and go directly into the sub wires on connector C. I am not concerned for keeping the center speaker working, and also HFL does not work, nor does xm on my car I bought used. I was thinking my most economical option is to hard wire a new radio and use a tablet i have as my navi and do what others have done. Can someone just tell me is it possible to hardwire like I am thinking to do.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

Nobody knows if this can be done?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Talk with Crutchfield.com. Their website indicates you may have a lot of work: "Here's bottom line when it comes to replacing the stereo in your TL: It'll require a lot of work just to get to the stereo so that you can remove it. You'll have to run all new speaker wire to your front and rear speakers. You'll lose the center channel speaker and the factory subwoofer. And as if all of that isn't bad enough, you'll have to fabricate your own mounting kit to secure and trim out the new stereo. This is such a difficult stereo to replace that there just aren't any kits on the market."
Crutchfield does have kits for some of the connections Metra 70-1721 — Wiring Harness PAC SWI-CP5 — Steering Wheel Control
It it was me, I would try to use the factory amp via the Metra, but if that doesn't work then splice into the amp's outputs for easiest wiring.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:23 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gnterry
Talk with Crutchfield.com. Their website indicates you may have a lot of work: "Here's bottom line when it comes to replacing the stereo in your TL: It'll require a lot of work just to get to the stereo so that you can remove it. You'll have to run all new speaker wire to your front and rear speakers. You'll lose the center channel speaker and the factory subwoofer. And as if all of that isn't bad enough, you'll have to fabricate your own mounting kit to secure and trim out the new stereo. This is such a difficult stereo to replace that there just aren't any kits on the market."
Crutchfield does have kits for some of the connections Metra 70-1721 — Wiring Harness PAC SWI-CP5 — Steering Wheel Control
It it was me, I would try to use the factory amp via the Metra, but if that doesn't work then splice into the amp's outputs for easiest wiring.
I was thinking about using the Metra and getting a radio with 2 pre amp outputs. Then splicing into the connectors on just the sub and the center speaker. Thanks for the information
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Can the stock radio button lights can be changed
Old 02-06-2017, 08:52 PM
10th Gear

Partsam 10PCS T3 Neo Wedge SMD LED.
search that in Google
also any t3 neo wedge bulb will do