TL: 3rd Gen TL: Another Amp (or two)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:37 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
3rd Gen TL: Another Amp (or two)

I have a CNC machined double DIN kit specifically for our cars (I have a 2006 TL base no navi). For components I have a new Pioneer AVH-6200 NEX (Apple CarPlay and navi), as well as new speakers all around except for the 8" sub which I will not use.

One question is this: what kind of aftermarket amplifier(s) would I need to connect all the speakers up? I'm especially concerned about the center dash speaker.

Another question is this: are the tweeters in the dash connected to the door speakers? So that if I power the door speakers I would by default be powering the tweeters as well?

Currently I have a 4-channel amp and (I think) a 2-channel amplifier for my one sub. It's in my storage unit so I don't have immediate access to it to find out but if memory serves me correctly I bridged it so I imagine it's a 2-channel amp and not a monoblock.

My largest problem is figuring out what type of amp I will need to power everything but the sub. I have not the slightest clue and after hours of searching (AZ and Google) I thought the best thing to do would be to just ask.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Will you be running rear speakers as well? I think that a 4 channel amp will be fine for your needs. Your door speakers and tweeters are usually tied together through an inline x-over/capacitor module so amping them independently would require a DSP unit and perhaps another amp. Keep it simple with the amps you have and be sure to buy a set of good component speakers with a passive x-overs (included). If you need recommendations don't hesitate to ask.