[WORKING!] Hacking the GA-NET (IEBus) to get touchscreen coordinates

Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,488 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
If your desire is to simply use the oem touchscreen to control a carpc, you don't need to mess with this stuff. All you'd need is a scan converter and touchscreen interface. But I think you could get off much cheaper by just getting a aftermarket touchscreen.

I'm not sure if you can do what Rob is doing without a fully functional navigation system.

I'm plugging along myself and have done the following:

I've got the sniffer on a breadboard, but the cheap approach I took trying to use a parallel connection to program the ATMEGA8 didn't work out very well. So I am waiting for the programmer to arrive from SparkFun.

I created a cable using the connector from a spare non-navi display and a old civic harness so I can simply plug and unplug the sniffer for my experiments and event collection. It's cold up here so I don't want to leave this stuff in the garage.

Another member bought a smashed display for the framework and sold me the electronics and I made up a cable to go from the navi display electronics to the navi sub-display. So I have the HVAC info showing up there.

The events I need to capture is for the HU (CD/DVD Player/Changer, Volume, XM, etc). Then I'll attempt to use Visual C# to create a display of this data using the sniffer attached to the carpc.

I'm not planning on using the oem navi display and already have an 8" WS touchscreen, so my use is simply sniffing, interpret the data and display the event.
well I am going to use the entire oem headunit portion just wasnt planning on wiring in the navi dvd drive in the trunk or the navi antenna. just using the headunit and the 6 disc changer. dont see why i wouldnt be able to use the button controls and everything thing he is using to make work. I want to keep the oem look.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
well I am going to use the entire oem headunit portion just wasnt planning on wiring in the navi dvd drive in the trunk or the navi antenna. just using the headunit and the 6 disc changer. dont see why i wouldnt be able to use the button controls and everything thing he is using to make work. I want to keep the oem look.
I'm really not sure exactly what you are doing, so I'll stop commenting.

Good Luck on your project!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by angrycamel
Thanks Jonesi. I will keep that in mind. At this point though, I don't need anything really off the wall and I have everything that I need.

I just hung up my hat for today prob. I am getting very frustrated. The new prototype board stopped working and the breadboard stopped working. I cannot determine what the problem is and if it is in the software or the hardware. After about 3 hours of constant troubleshooting I am putting it down for now. I haven't even eaten yet today.

Sorry I wasnt able to post good news everyone.

Until next time,
AC
I can relate. I made some progress yesterday getting the program loaded, but I still can't get anything wiggling with IEBus Studio.

It's so damn cold in my garage that it just elevates the frustration level.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can relate. I made some progress yesterday getting the program loaded, but I still can't get anything wiggling with IEBus Studio.

It's so damn cold in my garage that it just elevates the frustration level.
I am thinking about going ahead and put the firmware on sourceforge along with IEBus Studio. Its getting to the point where I cannot work on it enough nor make enough progress to warrant keeping it to myself.

It's a bit too late tonight, but I will start packaging everything up tomorrow (including the schematic) so that no one has to duplicate any work for this project. I was hoping to get everything perfect then release it all at once, but I think at this point its best that I get more people in the trenches with me to help figure out the problems.

I'll post again tomorrow with a status update of the source release.

AC
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Post IEBus Controller Schematics and Firmware on Sourceforge!

From the most recent post on my blog, I didn't feel like retyping it all just for here, so I copy pasted:

I have put the firmware on sourceforge.net under a project aptly named, IEBus Controller. Its getting to the point where I cannot work on it enough nor make enough progress to warrant keeping it all to myself. This doesn't mean that I wont be working on the project, but it does mean that I welcome anyone who is willing to help out in making this project a reality.

I decided to do this when I realized that a couple others are working on their own versions of the project and repeating work that I had already done. It's simply not fair for me to hold out on my progress. I was hoping to get everything perfect then release it all at once, but I think at this point its best that I get more people in the trenches with me to help figure out the problems.

So checkout the project page over at the Sourceforge project page. There is no release just yet, but those wishing to work on the project with me should pull down the latest from the Subversion server. If you send me a message, I can give you access as a developer so that you can commit changes. You will need an account with Sourceforge.net in order for this to work. Also, I suggest tortoiseSVN, it has shell integration and has been very easy for a novice SVN user, like myself, to get used to.

Last edited by angrycamel; 02-25-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
geekeng.com Geek+Engineer

AC,

Have you made any stabs with the NEC IEBus Controller? (µPD72042B)

~GE
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Nope, I sure haven't. I have two very large projects going on at work that are taking all of my time right now. I'm hoping some other folks can pick up some of this and make some progress. Its all freely available now.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry,

Just wondering, but wouldn't it be easier, instead of translating complex bus events based on address and contents to text and inputing them to the carPC on the serial port, to instead simply clock the bus data (in any order you like, so long as you are consistent) into the serial port, then use an app similar to WinLirc to capture and translate the events represented? Such an app can be "taught" in that you can perform various keypresses and record them as valid input, and it will ignore commands it doesn't understand...is the parallel data too complex or long to do this (IR commands ar 6 bytes long, iirc)? And what about using existing USB relay/"brain" devices to control switching between CarPC and Nav input? As in, the relay cuts off the Nav when a switch on the dash is thrown, and re-instates connection when the switch is open?

I love your project, and applaud your past tenacity, and you could probably talk circles around me in this regard, but at first blush it would seem to me that the board you designed takes on too much responsibility with regard to translation.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hi There; 03-13-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,488 Posts
I'm really not sure exactly what you are doing, so I'll stop commenting.

Good Luck on your project!
Well from what I understand that angry camel is doing is he is capturing the ibus commands right after they leave the headunit basically so he can use them to control things on his carputer. However he is also allowing himself to still be able to use the factory navigation just by flipping a switch.

What I want to do is basically the same thing minus the switch to flip. I want to have the factory navigation headunit so that I have the oem screen install and factory radio. I just dont want to install the oem nav as I am going to use a pc nav program.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Don't know how I missed that message from "Hi There" on the 13th, I have been checking the thread almost daily so I can answer questions anyone has when looking at the firmware. Anyways...

"Hi There": While I welcome any other approaches to implementing a solution for this project, I am not sure that I know enough about serial to determine if what you are describing is possible or not. To be honest though, I have a feeling its not possible.

Would you like to do some initial tests and let us all know how it turns out?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Hi Rob,

I'm still going to play with your stuff but have a drastic change in plans that is 90% complete.

Since I found that remanufactured navi unit and broken navi display unit, I decided to try taking my 8" dynamix monitor and replace the oem monitor. Unfortunately, I think dynamix is a cheap brand and the 2nd touch screen went on it. First one was covered, this time it won't be because I ripped it apart.

I replaced the touch panel, found an RGBS to VGA converter, figured out the what pins go to what on the 4 wire resistive panel and it worked! This means it headed me down the road of a non-navi to navi conversion with a twist.

So I am just waiting for some items to arrive to finish it up.

Then it's carputer time and then I'll be back to sniffing!

So this brings me to a question.

If I look at my diagram, there are 3 busses. One between the display and navi unit, one between the display and the audio unit and one between the display and the sub display.

Does the same information flow to all 3 busses at the same time? In other words, to sniff the data, can I look at any of the 3 busses and get the same data?

What I am trying to figure out ahead of time is where to put the junction points so I can connect the sniffer without tearing out panels.

Last edited by KN_TL; 03-19-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Instructor

AC, for some reason your website appears to be down. DNS Is good but the webserver isn't responding.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Instructor

How is everyone? Sorry I haven't been around as much. Work has been taking it's toll lately.

Has anyone had a chance to play around with the project's documents and source out on sourceforge? Anyone put together a circuit yet?

I am anxious to see someone make some more progress since I made everything available.

By the way... what happened to this thread? Wasn't it like 12 pages long or something?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:31 AM
04Accord EX-L OEM XM/Navi

I'm still definitely counting on someone to make a working solution. Hell, I'll go to the test screen before I switch over to PC mode if thats the only way. I've completely disassembled my nav unit and could not even make a determination that my touchscreen was a four wire resistive touchscreen. Its not like the Acura screen. I've got lots of close-up pictures of it if anyone would like to see.
C'mon guys.. someone figure this one out!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Instructor

It has been figured out, remember the working example in the youtube video? Someone just needs to take the time to put it together and test with the relays that prevent the touches from getting to the navi. I see no reason why the relays would not work and I already wrote all of the firmware to do it.

Like I said, I am too busy lately to work on it, thats why I made everything open source, so I too am really hoping that someone who was interested in this project too will take some time and work on it a bit.

"By the way... what happened to this thread? Wasn't it like 12 pages long or something?"
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by angrycamel
"By the way... what happened to this thread? Wasn't it like 12 pages long or something?"

Just a forum update. There are now more posts per page which = less total pages.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Just a forum update. There are now more posts per page which = less total pages.
Ah, gotcha. Didn't even notice more per page.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 AM

I would love to help angrycamel, but this is beyond me. I'm lucky to have been able to successfully put together your harness much less work with a breadboard. I'll buy one when its ready though.. I'll commit to that.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

great post! thanks for the writeup
Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

Any updates Angry Camel?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Arrow

Sorry guys, but I have been incredibly busy lately and have not worked on this project at all. Everything needed is available on sourceforge.net so anyone can pick up where I left off. I don't think anyone has done that yet though.

Thanks,
AC
Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Cruisin'

I will def take a shot at it but it won't be for another couple months... I need to convert my 07 from Non Navi to Navi first...
Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Since my questions seem to be ignored, I gave up.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Sorry your message was missed. I am at work right now, but will make a point to take a look at it this evening and reply to your questions.

AC
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Instructor

If I look at my diagram, there are 3 busses. One between the display and navi unit, one between the display and the audio unit and one between the display and the sub display.

Does the same information flow to all 3 busses at the same time? In other words, to sniff the data, can I look at any of the 3 busses and get the same data?

What I am trying to figure out ahead of time is where to put the junction points so I can connect the sniffer without tearing out panels.
I am unsure of what diagram you are referring to. Maybe you could post it on here?

I really am not sure what the three buses are because I cannot see the diagram, but keep in mind that the IEBus in particular can have multiple items connected to it. You may not be seeing the devices connected to each other per say, but rather those devices connected to the two bus wires that all devices on the IEBus connect to. (Hence multiple devices on the bus)

I hope this helps. Let me know if there is any other questions that I can answer, because it sounds like you are onto a nice hybrid approach.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Coudn't wait.. Plan B

Hi All,

Couldn't wait any longer for the touchscreen solution but still want AC's project to be successful as it would complete my setup.

PLAN B:
Flush mount a small "Ergonomic Touchpad" from http://www.ergonomictouchpad.com/ into the dash.

In the image below, the square in the accessory tray is a flush mounted touchpad. It was a tight squeeze to make the cuts, but a dremmel and a mini-hack saw did the trick. After making it completely flush as possible, I epoxied it in.

Lets go AC.. get your priorities straight! Quit that lousy job you know you hate and finish this project! I WANT TO TOUCH MY SCREEN!

Godspeed to all that work on this project,
Ashtray
Old 06-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Sorry to let you down ashtray. As I get more free time I will try and finish it up, but I am going to be busy for the next few months at the least. Life gets in the way... and by the way, I really do enjoy my day job. Lucky me, I guess

In all reality there is nothing stopping you from downloading the schematic and the firmware and putting this together on a Saturday or something. The proof of the concept was in the video I posted of it controlling CarPC software. It worked. It may not be packaged up all pretty in a nicebox, and it may not have the relay stuff, but it worked none the less, so in a pinch you couldget it going then all you would have to do is debug the relay stuff. (I already wrote it all and the schematic).

I must stress again however that I am not the only person who can do this. I have released everything that I have to the public so anyone can continue what I started. I started this project with absolutely zero electronics experience nor had I programmed in straight C before this either. I am just trying to say that anyone can do this that put's their mind to it, and the fact that no one has really tried since I made everything available just showed me that maybe you and I were the only ones who really thought it would be useful anyways.

I hate to see this thing die on the vine just because I am too busy. Can't someone work on it?!

Last edited by angrycamel; 06-02-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
4th Gear

Is this project finished? I really wanted to do this to my car. I got on sourceforge.net and could not find the schematic or the code for this. Is it still there? All i could find was the IE Bus Studio program.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Here ya go:

http://iebuscontroller.svn.sourcefor...buscontroller/
Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure if this has been covered yet.. but.....
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-wanna-do-her-him-thread-151216/
Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
-Mike

Originally Posted by vthree
not sure if this has been covered yet.. but.....
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151216
genius thread. i want it.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 15 Posts
Is anyone still actively working on this effort? I've got a bit of experience with the AVR, and I'd love to get involved.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear

Long time lurker here. I'd like to understand the interface to TVand NAV2GO products for use on my HONDA.

My thought for contribution would be to look up Software / Hardware engineers at Honda Motoro Company or American Honda at business networking site such as LINKEDIN and ask them IEbus questions, or specific stumbling blocks. Perhaps 1 of 4 would respond with some helpful suggestion or connection.

Just my thought ....

Good work AC!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:38 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
is there anything that will work for 05 -09 RL system?
maybe a factory amp interface ?
i have no idea whats goin on in this thread lol
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
http://unitedtech.ru/index.php/solutions
Old 08-23-2018, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Hi
I stumbled upon this forum recently. I am trying to follow it but since it's so old all the resources are outdated. Does anyone have the parts list in order to build this? Or know of anything like this?