[WORKING!] Hacking the GA-NET (IEBus) to get touchscreen coordinates

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself there. Why don't you start by ordering the parts I listed and put it together on a breadboard first, then see if you can get it to work before talking about PCB manufacturing.

The programmer is in the parts list.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
geekeng.com Geek+Engineer

Doh!

Wow... am I ever getting ahead of myself. I need to read things a little more thoroughly -- didn't even notice the part from sparkfun. I think I'll make the dongle from scratch seeing how they list the schematics on olimex.com

The local electronics store should have the rest of the items needed. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Great! Good luck on putting it together. Let me know if you run into any issues and I can try to walk you through it.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 PM

Waiting Game

I've ordered all the parts. Now I'm playing the waiting game until it arrives. I guess I will work on wrapping my head around what you've done so far with the IEBus Studio program until then.

I was thinking this program might be better called "X-Bus Studio" or "IEB Studio" (To avoid any issues with using NEC's trademarked name "IEBus") Let me know what you think.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Post IEBus Studio is now on SourceForge.net

The project request on SourceForge.net was approved and we now have the project page. You can view the project status and get regular updates about it here.

A couple old friends of mine have signed up to help with development of the app and have already started making pretty good progress. I have worked with these two a lot in the past since they were the two that helped make Mimesis a reality. (there is a link to the Mimesis website in my signature, in case anyone is interested as well as a good writeup about it on my site)

Now back to IEBus Studio... we will soon have the ability to export a DLL from a device/event library defined within IEBus Studio. This means that, as described in an earlier post, you will use IEBus Studio to discover events and devices by watching the data pass over the bus, then storing the identified events in a vehicle specific library file as you go. Once you have defined all of the events for your vehicle, you will have the ability to then export those events out as a custom built DLL. The reason we are going with a DLL is because it allows for event handlers to be built into any language that you can plug the DLL into. In addition, the DLL will come fully equipped with an intellisense file which contains descriptions for all events and devices defined in the DLL. This is very handy for you to reference when building your event handlers.

The firmware is coming along nicely as well. It is taking packets, forming them into easily digestible blocks and sending them up to the PC so that IEBus Studio can handle them in any way that you want. I have written the code which allows for you to send down Master and Slave filters from IEBus Studio when in discovery mode. This will mean faster identification of events so that you can store them to the vehicle library then build your DLL!

Now, just in case anyone is wondering... the discovery of events and devices for a vehicle (as long as it is done correctly) only needs to be done once. So if you are thinking that this sure sounds like a lot of work, then don't worry. At least for the '04 Acura TSX, this will already be done by the time I am ready for anyone else to beta this thing. So that will make it easier for you guys to pick it up and start using it.

There it is, a much longer update than I intended to write, but informative nonetheless.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Advanced

An idea for segregating the signals...

I had a thought on the way home today...a possible idea for locking out the screen from controlling any of the other systems when using the carputer.

On the nav screen, if you go into 'Settings' you can turn off the monitor. When the monitor is off, the touchscreen does not work (meaning it doesn't control any devices, I have no way of knowing if it is still capturing contact points). If you can find that command (or string of commands), you can send it whenever you switch the video over to the carputer and that will, effectively, block the touchscreen signals from going to the other devices (assuming, of course, that that same command does not disable to touchscreen totally, in which case it won't help us at all).

Os.

Last edited by Osmodious; 08-27-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Interesting idea.

However, if it stops the touchscreen from working... to the point that it doesn't control anything on the navi computer, then we would not be able to pick up any packets either. We are just grabbing packets as they are on there way to the navi computer.

I will try it, however, in the odd chance that its not turning off the touchscreen packets, but instead is telling the navi computer to ignore them. (That would be sweet, but unlikely)

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Cool New firmware is working!

I just got to a stopping point on the firmware tonight and decided to grab some data off the bus for review. You can check it out here if you want. You will notice a lot less errors. Its because my firmware is lighter and seems to run considerably faster. I think the reason for the errors you saw in the video before was because of the firmware was not processing the packets fast enough to keep up with the bus.

FYI: I will be gone from Wed morning until Sunday night, so there will be no more updates from me until then. Everyone enjoy the holiday!

Also, this is what we are looking at for the structure of the lib files. (for defined devices and events per vehicle) This is the filetype that you will be able to open and work with in IEBus Studio. Pretty simple!

(I have tried all of the code types and they all strip the ending tag for the XML, so just use your imagination)

HTML Code:
<vehicle>
   <make>Acura
   <model>TSX
   <year>2004
   <navigation>yes
 </vehicle>
 <device>
   <address>0x183
   <name>Navigation Computer
   <description>Navigation computer mounted in the trunk of the car.
 </device>
 <device>
   <address>0x131
   <name>Touchscreen Controller
   <description>Touchscreen controller for sending touch events from the navigation screen in the dashboard to the navigation unit in the trunk.
 </device>
 <device>
   <address>0x100
   <name>Head Unit
   <description>The head unit send commands like the volume up or down as well as changing the channel on the radio.
 </device>
 <event>
 	<name>Volume Level 3
   <raw>1:100:183:F:14:60:2:31:0:2:0:3:10:0:E0:20:0:0:9D
   <broadcast>1
   <master_device>0x100
   <slave_device>0x183
   <control>0xF
   <datasize>0xE
   <data>0x60
   <data>0x2
   <data>0x31
   <data>0x0
   <data>0x2
   <data>0x0
   <data>0x3
   <data>0x10
   <data>0x0
   <data>0xE0
   <data>0x20
   <data>0x0
   <data>0x0
   <data>0x9D
 </event>

Last edited by angrycamel; 08-28-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brava!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

enjoying the updates....keep em coming!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 PM

Smile

The parts have arrived from Digikey, and I've installed C# 2005 so I'm nearly ready to start testing. I'll be gone for the long weekend too, so I suppose this thing will just have to wait. Also - I've been scouring ebay for a deal on a navi upgrade for my car -- still looking, but the deals are starting to get a little better.

Anyhoo, I just thought I'd post that I'm on track to start helping out with this project on a serious level.

~J
Old 09-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up Update

Tonight I put together a screen cap of me using the new IEBus Emulator in conjunction with com0com and IEBus Studio. Com0com is used to produce a virtual null modem connection as well as the virtual com ports from com2->com4. With the emulator we can test IEBus Studio locally with data captured to log files from inside of the car or with manually typed in commands.

It’s the first thing I did when I got back from my trip, here is the link to the youTube video. This can also be found on my site.

IEBus Emulator
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
angrycamel, do you know if this is true or if would hurt your project?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=19
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Touchscreen is a limited grid

Yes, in the TSX the touchscreen has a limited resolution of something like 10x16 or something like that. I am ok with that since any in car software that I will be using will have buttons large enough to work with it.

If you were to use your PC as a normal PC with a mouse and all that, its going to be a bit more difficult because you would need more resolution on the touches.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by angrycamel
Yes, in the TSX the touchscreen has a limited resolution of something like 10x16 or something like that. I am ok with that since any in car software that I will be using will have buttons large enough to work with it.

If you were to use your PC as a normal PC with a mouse and all that, its going to be a bit more difficult because you would need more resolution on the touches.
gotcha, i was thinking exactly that, about a PC and not a front end application(which would work fine with larger buttons)

well done in all your efforts thus far
Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Cool IEBus Studio Update

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give a quick update to let everyone know that IEBus Studio is coming along very well with the help of my two friends CLuis and Ramzi. We are really cranking code out at an astonishing rate and bringing IEBus Studio into reality. Here is the 1000 foot view:

Event Discovery works but we are just beginning to rewrite a lot of it to add functionality that will discover dynamic message types such as volume or touch events (Ex: most of the message is the same structure except for the coordinates of the touch, so we need to use some pattern matching to define non unique messages as the same event)

Defining devices is a cinch with the new Device Discovery tab. You can manually add devices or have it automatically add them to the library when it sees a message with a new unique device come across the bus. For each device you can record a name and description for it.

In the Define Events tab you can easily describe events that you have identified. Currently this only supports static messages such as a single button press on the dash (Ex: the cancel button), but it will soon support the dynamic messages as well.

CLuis did a great job with the DLL generation code. You can now build the library of events then choose File->"Export DLL" to produce a DLL of event definitions which you can tie into from any software that allows the referencing of a DLL. A test application has been setup and works in the emulation environment, so I will be testing it in the car very soon. The only events that the test DLL contains at the moment is touch events from the screen. This sample application will handle the touch events and display the x and y coordinates in a console as you touch the screen. Soon it will graphically overlay the screen with a grid to show how this whole thing will eventually control your computer.

And last but not least, you can now save out your progress into a library of events and device definitions (xml file) and open it back up again later to resume your work where you left off. If you thought you had all of the events that you wanted to use in your installation defined but realized you needed one more, simply open the library file do event discovery for that new event then re-export your DLL. Thats all there is to it.

I hope those of you who actually read all of that enjoyed it, I know it took me long enough to type it.

I will have pics and a video as soon as we finish up the dynamic message stuff and I work with the test dll app in the car.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up First IEBus Studio Generated DLL - In Car Test

I don't have much time right now to write about this, plus I wrote so much in yesterday's post, so here is a video from the testing that I did today. In short...

It's alive!

Watch the youtube video here

Enjoy! I will have a graphical test app with buttons that you can control from the touchscreen soon.

Last edited by angrycamel; 09-09-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Post Using the DLL is easy!

The testDLL application in the previous video consists of very little actual code to do what you are seeing there. It is a simple VB.Net application that references the DLL exported from IEBus Studio for my 2004 Acura TSX.
Thanks to CLuis for putting this together!

Here is the DLL as viewed in the VS.Net object browser:

I have pasted the code below to show just how simple it really is:

Code:
Public Class Form1
   	Dim WithEvents Acura As New Acura.TSX_2004()

Public Delegate Sub SetTextDelegate(ByVal text As String)
   	Dim sText As New SetTextDelegate(AddressOf SetText)

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
   		For Each strPort As String In My.Computer.Ports.SerialPortNames
   			Ports.Items.Add(strPort)
   		Next
   	End Sub

Sub SetText(ByVal text As String)
   		Output.Text &= text
   		Output.ScrollToCaret()
   		Output.Focus()
   	End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
   		Acura.OpenPort(Ports.Text, 9600, 8, IO.Ports.Parity.None, IO.Ports.StopBits.One, IO.Ports.Handshake.None)
   	End Sub

Private Sub Acura_TouchScreenPress(ByVal Master As Acura.TSX_2004.CarDevice, ByVal Slave As Acura.TSX_2004.CarDevice, ByVal X As Integer, ByVal Y As Integer, ByVal Unknown1 As Integer) Handles Acura.TouchScreenPress
   		If Output.InvokeRequired Then
   			Output.Invoke(sText, "TouchScreenPress: X:" & X & ", Y:" & Y & ", Unknown:" & Unknown1 & Environment.NewLine)
   		Else
   			SetText("TouchScreenPress: X:" & X & ", Y:" & Y & ", Unknown:" & Unknown1 & Environment.NewLine)
   		End If
   	End Sub
   End Class

Last edited by angrycamel; 09-09-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 AM
I can't find my garage

omg this is some intense information!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 AM
Instructor

I don't have much time right now to write about this, plus I wrote so much in yesterday's post, so here is a video from the testing that I did today. In short...

It's alive!

Watch the youtube video here

Enjoy! I will have a graphical test app with buttons that you can control from the touchscreen soon.
Nice work. I'm glad you stuck with this project long enough to get something working. I know I succumbed to laziness / other commitments and gave up on it. Looks like the hard part is done and you are in the home stretch... (well except for that little problem of the nav computer still getting the key presses)

Great job....
Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2002TLSNavi
Looks like the hard part is done and you are in the home stretch... (well except for that little problem of the nav computer still getting the key presses)
Ya, just a minor detail. I am just putting it out of my mind, until we get IEBus Studio finished up and I build the first FULLY defined DLL of events in an 04 TSX. I have a couple of ideas to pursue but its just one of those things where you have to just pick one thing and focus on it til its done, then pick another, etc. etc. otherwise all of the unknowns are too daunting to take on.

I will post when I have more progress.... will be very soon since there have been some major developments with event discover in Studio.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Instructor

I have a couple of ideas to pursue but its just one of those things where you have to just pick one thing and focus on it til its done, then pick another, etc. etc. otherwise all of the unknowns are too daunting to take on.
Yea, I'm usually take the opposite approach. I tend to over think everything and not want to invest the time or the money unless I'm reasonably sure I have most of the hurdles covered... There are always enough unexpected roadblocks to deal with later on... I like to get the know ones out of the way before I start.... But then I guess this is why you have a working prototype and I don't
Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Post IEBus Studio Update

It's been a little while since I updated everyone on the progress so I put together a quick screenshot.

IEBus Studio is definately one kick ass program, if I do say so myself. I wanted to take the time to do screenshots of all the features but its just too late on Sunday night and I have been writing code all weekend. So here is my one screenshot that shows just about everything there is to know about the test event feature.

I should have a video sometime soon of it working in the car. Cross your fingers! We have tested and confirmed that the firmware recieves the event message perfectly, so testing that the firmware can put it on the bus properly is all thats left.

Click on the pic for the larger view.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure how all this works, but can't wait to see the finished product! I've been waiting for a solution to be able to interface with the stock Navi touch screen.

As a side question, is there any way to be able to enable the HVAC controls without having to require the use of the DVD unit? Perhaps somehow fake the signals from the DVD unit via the IEBus or something?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supraken
As a side question, is there any way to be able to enable the HVAC controls without having to require the use of the DVD unit? Perhaps somehow fake the signals from the DVD unit via the IEBus or something?
With this module, anything that you click on the dashboard or the touchscreen that uses the IEBus to communicate is fair game. So you could write an app around the DLL to do whatever you want it to since they will be presented in software as events.

Hope this makes sense...
AC
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Cool.... very good stuff...

So are you implying that the HVAC controls goes through the IEBus?

Now, I went through the posts very quickly, but I don't remember if this was mentioned.. How are you interfacing this with your computer? is it through a serial port / USB port?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 PM

Smile Installing Navi

Hello again!

I know I said 6 months, but I couldn't wait. I've acquired all the components to install the navi in my car and they should arrive in the next week or so. I will be documenting the DIY for the install on my site and will try to keep a diary of my progress. Hopefully I will be able to start helping out with this project sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to hacking the IEBus!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Cool.... very good stuff...

So are you implying that the HVAC controls goes through the IEBus?

Now, I went through the posts very quickly, but I don't remember if this was mentioned.. How are you interfacing this with your computer? is it through a serial port / USB port?
The HVAC controls on the dashboard do go through the IEBus. I was just out in the car an hour ago building the definition file of all the IEBus dashboard events and the temperature controls is one of them.

My unit connects to the computer via a serial connection. This can be achieved in one of two ways... a serial cable and serial port, or with a serial to usb adapter that you can buy for around $10 on ebay or other random places.

Geekeng: Sounds great. Let us know how it goes.

UPDATE: I have the touchscreen working and controlling the screen, making a mouse clicks. Its a little off though (there must be a bug in the mouse control program) because it isnt getting the vertical mouse location mapped onto the computer screen properly. It stays at the bottom of the screen, which is kind of funny, because as I touch the navi screen, the mouse is hittong the application icons in the bar at the bottom of my screen, causing windows to bring focus to those apps effectively switching between programs and making them minimize and stuff.

I will be ready to start having some beta testers take a look at this thing and doing some testing on there own car computers. Does anyone have a computer installed in there car that would be willing to test? I will need to charge a little for the unit but I am not sure how that will be yet. Just let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by angrycamel; 09-29-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Beta Testing

Angry,

I should be ready to Beta test not too long after I finish the install. I have most of the parts, except I will need to acquire all the shiz to attach a carputer in the trunk. I'm thinking about using a PC104 style embedded system, I'm sure it will work just fine.

~J
Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Instructor

I am going to try and keep the beta to only those who have a working carpc install, so get it put together soon. Will this embedded system you're talking about still run windows xp?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:10 PM

Post Carputer Details

I'm thinking either Windows XP or Windows CE embedded. I think Windows CE might be the better choice because its lighter and appears to have quicker boot times, etc. I've been looking into whether or not there will be any issues running a C# compiled app on Win CE, and so far I've found nothing that says I should have any problems.

Any suggestions?

Angry: An embedded system might be best if you are looking to offer a complete system, instead of just the software. This would definitely minimize the troubleshooting required if everyone was using the same configuration for their carputer. ~just a thought~

Last edited by Geekeng; 09-30-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Cool PCB Etching

I completed the etching process of my first printed circuit board tonight. If you would like to read about the process, I wrote it up more over on my site, but I didn't want to fill the forum with my wordy write-up.

The finished result looks like this:

Now all that is left is to drill the holes and mount all of the components. Next time I do this, I think I am going to go with all surface mount components, so I guess its time to hit up digikey again.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

So if your interface module provides the interface to the IEBus and the touchscreen, and then we can use the existing off-the-shelf stuff (Dom's etc) to get an input to the display, does that mean we won't need the DVD unit in the trunk altogether, provided that we have a carputer installed?

If so that would very well be my ideal solution..

I just bought the Navi unit in the center dash for my non-Navi TSX, and I'm in the process of getting all the other stuff.. If what I said above is true then I can skip the DVD drive altogether. My goal is to run a carputer with the stock Navi screen anyway

Last edited by supraken; 10-01-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

So if your interface module provides the interface to the IEBus and the touchscreen, and then we can use the existing off-the-shelf stuff (Dom's etc) to get an input to the display, does that mean we won't need the DVD unit in the trunk altogether, provided that we have a carputer installed?

If so that would very well be my ideal solution..

I just bought the Navi unit in the center dash for my non-Navi TSX, and I'm in the process of getting all the other stuff.. If what I said above is true then I can skip the DVD drive altogether. My goal is to run a carputer with the stock Navi screen anyway
I believe that yes eventually you could use this module to integrate with ALL features of the IEBus (in order to replace the nav unit), but at this point I don't think we are there yet. It would take a lot of testing to make sure you have everything defined then lot of testing to make sure that it all works as expected.

After I get this project completed and have a working touchscreen solution, I will be working towards that goal. To design a board that can facilitate the integration of a carpc as a drop in replacement of the stock navigation unit.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe that yes eventually you could use this module to integrate with ALL features of the IEBus (in order to replace the nav unit), but at this point I don't think we are there yet. It would take a lot of testing to make sure you have everything defined then lot of testing to make sure that it all works as expected.

After I get this project completed and have a working touchscreen solution, I will be working towards that goal. To design a board that can facilitate the integration of a carpc as a drop in replacement of the stock navigation unit.

Sounds good, I'll be your first customer/guinea pig when the unit is ready..

I knew I should've paid more attention in circuits class..
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry,
I cannot keep silent. Your project pleases itself me. You have many followers. Into my plans enters use touchscreen navi of my Acura MDX for control CarPC.
My IEBus sniffer
There are technical questions. To me it is shameful for my English.
I will write email
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by slden
Angry,
I cannot keep silent. Your project pleases itself me. You have many followers. Into my plans enters use touchscreen navi of my Acura MDX for control CarPC.
My IEBus sniffer
There are technical questions. To me it is shameful for my English.
I will write email
The URL you provided does not work. I looked at the forums though and found a thread about a Toyota Harrier. Is your screenname Homeword?

URL не работает. Я смотрела на форумах, но нашли ту нить, о Тойота Харриер. Разве ваше имя Homeword?

Last edited by angrycamel; 10-01-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No. My screenname Slden. I love its auto - Range Rover and Acura MDX.
I still my of hobby CarPC. To me are known works Marcin, _Alex _, Homeword being concerned AVC_LAN.
But your project is best.
My MDX uses IEBus PD72042, mode1, 6.29MHz. I use ATMega8.

Last edited by slden; 10-02-2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM

No news... is... good news?

Its been awhile since I've seen an update on the forum here. Since I last posted, I finally managed to get my hands on the navigation components to start installing the system into my car. Hopefully the progress with the IEBus is coming along, I should be onboard within the next month or so.

Keep up the good work Angry - I like what you did with your website.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Thanks. The site is just another modified wordpress template. I don't have the time to do any custom design work anyway.

I have been working on it when I can, but my day job is taking up a LOT of my time recently. The main thing I am working on right now in regards to this project is getting a PCB version of the circuit working. I keep running into hurdles with that which is delaying things.

I made the first board but I made a mistake and had to throw it out. Then I made my second one (two sided) but I burned the crap out of my hand with the soldering iron Sunday putting the components on. lol

So things are just a little slower right now, but not stalled. I have a PCB manufacturer in mind for doing a run of about 15 to start with once I get this board finalized. Those will be my beta boards to send to you guys that are interested. However there still are a couple of things left to design with the hardware before I send anything out. Not to mention the in car testing that still needs to happen (its been stalled while I work on the hardware).

I will update the thread when I have more.

Quick Reply: [WORKING!] Hacking the GA-NET (IEBus) to get touchscreen coordinates