Switch out navi unit in trunk for used?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Switch out navi unit in trunk for used?

my navigation unit hasn't worked in months (my location on the map isn't correct and the navigation updates 5 min after i move, so it's always incorrect...see here https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...d-help-925482/)

if i bought a used navi unit (the one that goes in the trunk) from another type s car, would there be any issues hooking it up in my car? for example, would my xm subscription need to get updated or anything else bad as a result of the switch?

thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
ugh i just wanted to mention this has started happening to me too.
I was just about to start a new thread.

It would work flawlessly at times, but nowadays it seems like every other trip I'm making it will work fine and dandy-follow all roads,etc, and then all a sudden freeze as if my car was parked even though I'm driving, then 3 minutes later it would finally get my position correct, and then 2 minutes later it would do the same BS all over again.

Again, sometimes it works perfect, like today.
It's the days you actually need the GPS and then it decides to do this..

I was really about to eject and check the disc, and perform all the diagnostic manual tests, but now that I know it's the navi unit failing, I'll save my time.
Did some more research and people who have the same problem replaced the DVD unit to fix it.
I'd be glad to pay 160 to Alpine but after 2012 they jacked the price to 368 or something..
Just wish it would be something easy to fix like amp capacitors, or baking the HFL.
Someone from alpine gotta spill the beans because it could be a simple component that has a bad solder/connection.
I'm just glad my nav doesnt do what some people have problems with, like a "check DVD" or blank screen, or constant logo reboot, or constant PIN code request. THAT would suck. I'll accept my (sometimes) lagging position navi over those.

To answer your question, it will connect up just fine.
As for your XM, I assume it would need to be updated since everything is stored on the old DVD unit.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 07-29-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
ugh i just wanted to mention this has started happening to me too.
I was just about to start a new thread.

It would work flawlessly at times, but nowadays it seems like every other trip I'm making it will work fine and dandy-follow all roads,etc, and then all a sudden freeze as if my car was parked even though I'm driving, then 3 minutes later it would finally get my position correct, and then 2 minutes later it would do the same BS all over again.

Again, sometimes it works perfect, like today.
It's the days you actually need the GPS and then it decides to do this..

I was really about to eject and check the disc but now that I know it's the navi unit failing, I'll save my time.
Did some more research and people who have the same problem replaced the DVD unit to fix it.
I'd be glad to pay 160 to Alpine but after 2012 they jacked the price to 368 or something..
Just wish it would be something easy to fix like amp capacitors, or baking the HFL.
Someone from alpine gotta spill the beans because it could be a simple component that has a bad solder/connection.

To answer your question, it will connect up just fine.
As for your XM, I assume it would need to be updated since everything is stored on the old DVD unit.
damn sorry this is happening to you too! i went through all the diagnostics and even talked to both Alpine and a local place that specializes in this, and both mentioned that it would probably need to be "rebuilt" even though i think it's something small. it all relates to whatever is communicating with the yaw sensor, it's not relaying coordinates correctly.

when you say update my XM, do you mean i have to call XM and tell them to switch my subscription, or are you merely saying my presets will go away (which i figured anyway)?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Race Director

thanks for doing the diagnosing work

I really thought it was a small problem since everything works fine, just GPS position is lagging which I thought was caused by the antenna or some type of interference or a scratched disc causing the maps not to be read properly to update on the screen, but turns out I was wrong.

If I'm correct, you have a XM ID code for your current one.
If it's the same after you get the new DVD unit, you should have everything still.
If not, call in and ask them to switch to the new XM ID.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 663 Posts
Curious to how this works out for you since mine has been acting up lately. Upgrading to a tablet seems to be the ideal route but I don't have the skills or a solution for the OEM reverse camera.

$368 to "rebuild"?

Isn't the XM code tied to the actual radio unit itself and not the DVD unit? I always thought XM needed a VIN or a Radio ID in order to activate service - I'd assume that if you changed your head unit, you'd run into issues but changing only the DVD unit in the trunk should be fine. Probably best to be on the safe side and call though
Old 07-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Franchise1124
Curious to how this works out for you since mine has been acting up lately. Upgrading to a tablet seems to be the ideal route but I don't have the skills or a solution for the OEM reverse camera.

$368 to "rebuild"?

Isn't the XM code tied to the actual radio unit itself and not the DVD unit? I always thought XM needed a VIN or a Radio ID in order to activate service - I'd assume that if you changed your head unit, you'd run into issues but changing only the DVD unit in the trunk should be fine. Probably best to be on the safe side and call though
oh yea that's right i remember talking to the xm person and had to give them the radio/VIN info, so it might be a simple plug and play.

when i first had the issue, i researched a lot into tablets but there's still a lot of issues with them (they're not perfect), it might not look flush, loses the OEM camera, and it takes A TON of work. i had just finished my audio project which had challenge after challenge and was the only DIY that i considered giving up on (still hasn't been fully "fixed"), so there was no way i felt like doing a tablet install haha.

i'll have to think about this a day or two to see if i want to go the used route.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Race Director

i am all for the nexus 7 integration

the only thing stopping me is the cold from winter and the heat from summer.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Any updates on this? Mine is becoming more and more of an annoyance with the error message so it may be time to figure out some type of solution.

If sending back to Alpine is the best route, how does one initiate that anyhow?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Franchise1124
Any updates on this? Mine is becoming more and more of an annoyance with the error message so it may be time to figure out some type of solution.

If sending back to Alpine is the best route, how does one initiate that anyhow?
Try cleaning the Navi reader lens and disc first.

Search the 3G TL forum using "Alpine Navigation drive Torrance" (or terms like that) to pull up the threads with Alpine's repair facility address and toll-free phone number. Call the phone number to confirm and get more info, but one will need to pull the drive, pack it and the Navi DVD and send them with a check.
Franchise1124 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I rebuilt my DVD drive for about $120, if I remember correctly. My navi just stopped working completely, with a lovely error message on the screen.

I pulled the drive out, opened it up, and replaced the laser and disc reading mechanism. BUT, I'm not sure that's what is wrong with yours. You should be able to plug in another drive from another TL. Just make sure the years are the same as what you have (04-06 or 07-08).

If anyone is looking to repair it on their own (Franchise, it's sounding like your problem is the same as what mine was), it's fairly easy, if you can use a screw driver and undo a few clips. Some of the other navi issue threads had the part number also, for the part you'd have to buy.

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-10-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Thanks, gents. I'll definitely do some searching on the forum before I take any action. I'd much rather explore some options on sorting this out myself first before sending the unit out anyhow.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

the suggestions above are correct for the issue you are having. i'm having an entirely different issue that isn't related to a reading error, it's more internal to the circuitry i believe since it's not transmitting the correct yaw sensor readings to the output...little more complicated and the three experts i talked to had no idea how to fix it and said a rebuild would be the best route.

regarding what route i took, i decided to leave my navi as is and go with a portable garmin using a proclip that sits in a nice spot between my vent and my cluster. i know it doesn't look as clean but i couldn't justify paying 200-400 for old graphics, maps that cost 100/year to update, and no traffic. the new garmin has very quick traffic updates (hd version) and has 4 free updates a year.

i was hesitant to go with an external gps but i've loved it so far.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I would have just hit up eBay or an auto wrecker and got a used DVD drive. Granted, the Garmin is light years ahead of the OEM navi, but I dunno, there's something to be said about not having anything additional on your dash. Personally, it drives me bananas.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Glad you found a solution that worked for you, Sockr. I definitely agree that $400 is too much to pay just to be visually back in 2004 again.

I'll be sure to report anything newsworthy in here after I start doing some research. Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Race Director

I believe I'm going to go with the TomTom portable GPS route.

Any pics of the proclip setup sockr1?

I'd much rather have a GPS with red light camera alerts, lifetime free updates, traffic update, alt routes in traffic, 3D building view, etc.
Function over form, right?

I really wanted to do the Nexus 7 but I can't see it holding up well in the extreme cold and hot summer days.

The alpine repair is something around $800 for us Canadians also,so i don't think I'll get it repaired.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 08-10-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

I'd much rather have a GPS with red light camera alerts, lifetime free updates, traffic update, alt routes in traffic, 3D building view, etc.

I really wanted to do the Nexus 7 but I can't see it holding up well in the extreme cold and hot summer days.

The alpine repair is something around $800 for us Canadians also,so i don't think I'll get it repaired.
those are my thoughts exactly...except that i also thought the Nexus 7 route involved way too much and right now i'm avoiding time intensive projects like that haha.

which tom tom are you looking at? i've narrowed my garmin choices down to these 3, all with my main criteria being HD traffic which is the most updated and fastest traffic signal: 3597 (graphics are amazing, top of the line, but a little expensive), 2699 (6"), and 2598 (5"). right now i have both the 2699 and 2598 just waiting for the garmin pro clip to come in and then i'll return the one i don't want.

i'll have pics up on thursday for my setup, i'm still waiting for the garmin pro clip portion to arrive (i've already install the car specific dash portion). here's the link for the proclip locations for our car, i picked the center vent one. it's super sturdy:

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...a/tl/2008.cmsv

Last edited by sockr1; 08-10-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Race Director

I'm looking at the TomTom GO 500

My friend has the GO 50 C, and I'm blown away by it.
The graphics and UI is very eye candy!

Very well designed.

I know Garmins are very reliable and work amazing, I was never a fan of the UI looks, though

If only our integrated navigation was the same.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

here's some pics of the garmin installed using the proclip center mount (3 location options for the TL). it's not super clean but i wanted function and wasn't comfortable paying 380 for old graphics, no traffic, and old maps that i need to pay for updates.

this is the garmin 2599 from costco for 230. lifetime maps and HD traffic, which is the fastest traffic update type they have. i bought an extra power cord and friction mount and will hardwire both power cords to the fuse boxes in my car and my wife's car to make it a little cleaner. this is a 5" version, i also bought the 6" but thought it was way too big so i returned it and kept the 5"

the gps is super easy to take off and put away, and i've been liking it a lot so far. the traffic updating isn't the best but it still does a good enough job, one of my favorite features is the voice recognition i don't need to type anything in!

proclip center vent mount:
Name:  IMG_4474_zpsfrnf96el.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  55.5 KB

driver view
Name:  IMG_4470_zps6ch5kg9g.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  59.5 KB

garmin 2599 graphics focused
Name:  IMG_4468_zpsjhxleure.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  35.6 KB

view from outside
Name:  IMG_4476_zps1a9tafog.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  53.3 KB

another view from outside with different lighting
Name:  IMG_4478_zpspq6jgzgg.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Race Director

rise against

I think i'm leaning towards the mount for the lower right of the stereo.
If only they made a mount to clip onto the driver side vent between the door and steering wheel. I feel that place is the best, and most hidden.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

rise against

I think i'm leaning towards the mount for the lower right of the stereo.
If only they made a mount to clip onto the driver side vent between the door and steering wheel. I feel that place is the best, and most hidden.
i actually liked that spot the least because it's so far out of your line of sight i didn't want it to make it unsafe.

i agree the best spot would probably be the spot you mentioned by the side vent and wish they had that option. they have that option for my wife's honda civic but too bad they don't have it for the TL.

the mount is super solid the way it locks in and i have no worries about it moving or falling. pretty impressed by how well it fit to the car dash/vent. if you get one make sure you put up a pic!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Race Director

i think i'll end up getting the center vent mount and modifying it to work on the side.
or perhaps getting one that's for another car (honda civic you say has it) and try making something work.

I'd ideally just go for the lower right one, but I'm pretty OCD with things and would rather have it on the side than in the center.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I'm looking at the TomTom GO 500

My friend has the GO 50 C, and I'm blown away by it.
The graphics and UI is very eye candy!

Very well designed.

I know Garmins are very reliable and work amazing, I was never a fan of the UI looks, though

If only our integrated navigation was the same.
Those graphics are awesome. I looked on Amazon and the top rated Navi's were made by Garmin, but I haven't heard anything negative about Tom Tom. More research is in order.