Question for those who have replaced their door speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:14 PM
EVNS TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those who have replaced their door speakers...

If you replaced your factory door 2 ohm speakers with some 4 ohm speakers did you loose some volume if you didnt add an amp? I have some alpine Type Rs that im already using the tweeters from but im waiting on adding the woofers cause its barely loud enough now and i dont want to loose volume for a better sound.

What were your results? happy with them?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mods are probably going to move this thread..but I'm also curious about the same question regarding replacing 2ohm speakers with the more common 4ohm variety.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
EVNS TL

Originally Posted by JetJock
The mods are probably going to move this thread..but I'm also curious about the same question regarding replacing 2ohm speakers with the more common 4ohm variety.
why would they? its in the audio section...
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Opps.....I didn't look what forum it was posted...my mistake.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by evnash
If you replaced your factory door 2 ohm speakers with some 4 ohm speakers did you loose some volume if you didnt add an amp? I have some alpine Type Rs that im already using the tweeters from but im waiting on adding the woofers cause its barely loud enough now and i dont want to loose volume for a better sound.

Hey whats up I replaced my door speakers and rear speakers with pioneer 4way 4ohm speakers and it sounds good. I didnt lose volume and to me it sounds a lot better than stock. So to me its worth it and wasn't a waste of money. Let me know if I can be more of an assistance.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

I just replaced both the driver and passenger side doors, as well as both rear speakers with 4 Polk Audio DB651's as were recommended by my good friend fokker from this forum. They are definitely much, much better speakers, but to me they are begging to be paired up with a 4 OHM amp. Even at volume levels of 35-40 they still are not any louder than the shitty 20 watt stock speakers that came with the car. I am very seriously considering pairing them up with this AMP that my good friend absolutely loves. I just want to make sure I won't have to change the head unit, I like the stock look a lot. What do you guys think?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16883
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
3rd Gear

Hello,
Last year I installed a JL Audio 300/4 amplifier. Then in the front I put 5.25 JL Audio XR component speakers. In the back I put 6.5 Focals. It sounds unbelievable when you have original cds in the player. I wouldn't even bother putting new speakers in unless you are going to buy a new amp. I have my amp setup so that at 24 it is really freaking loud and amazingly clear. Definitely recommend JL Audio amps, true power and clear as day.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

I did the samething you did, i replaced all my speakers inside with Alpine Type R.
Fo rthe 2 door i got components speakers and for the 2 rear just 2way speakers. I also added a 4 ch amp with 900watts.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 AM
EVNS TL

Originally Posted by clavodulce16
I did the samething you did, i replaced all my speakers inside with Alpine Type R.
Fo rthe 2 door i got components speakers and for the 2 rear just 2way speakers. I also added a 4 ch amp with 900watts.
Did you listen to it will the speakers in but using the stock amp?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
u will lose some of the volume for sure and its not gonna be as loud at all, but looking at it in a different way is that the stock speakers are cutting out already at voume 30 with the aftermarket u can go all the way to 40 and it wont disort. Also u will gain more of midbass more of a fuller sound if u ask me, more dynamic lets say but not as loud.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It is near impossible to tell the difference audibly between speakers of differenct impedance, all else being equal because as the impedance drops so does the speakers effeciency.

Example: an 8ohm speaker with 92db sensitivity off of a 40 watt amp will be close to the same volume as a 2ohm speaker with a sensitivity of 86db off of a 160 watt amp. (a 3db gain is equal to doubling the sound)

We know our speakers are 2ohm but I never have found out the sensitivity. I would guess 87-88. A 4ohm speaker around the 90-91 range would be equal in loudness and the amp would run cooler.

Point being there is alot more is play then the impedance alone. The major thing you would notice if you monitored the amp is that it will run cooler. The factory tweeters really aren't that bad if you slap some power on them and a good EQ.

Kirk
Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Advanced

You should not use 4ohm speakers with a 2ohm amp because you could blow the speakers. They have to work very hard to try to make up the difference in impedance.

I put a 4 channel JL Audio amp under the driver's seat using a crossover from the rear speaker output of the factory amp. It sounds awesome!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you ever install 4ohm speakers with the stock amp? i am thinking about adding polk 651's to my front doors, but i too am scared of losing volume.

anyone know if the TL needs any spacers? i heard its best to have the speaker pressed to the back of the door grill. how sunken in are the speakers?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
holy thread resurrection! The stock speakers with a new amp will sound better than new 4ohm speakers with the stock amp. If the mid bass speaker is worth a crap you will need a spacer.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
I installed a pair of Kicker KS because my passenger speaker blew. I honestly think those "shitty" stock speakers are actually quite good. The kickers dont distort at max volume, the sound is also clearer, but the stock speaker had some bass...i blew my sub 2 months ago and none of my friends even noticed...the stock speakers were still able to shake our insides. For stock speakers, they sure beat my 250$ pair of kicker speakers when it comes to overall sound. I rather choose a lot more bass in favor of more range in mids and highs. And the Kicker KS are also 4ohm, and I have not lost volume to a point where i regret buying installing them and want to take them back...its barely noticeable, and anyways, with the 2 ohms, i couldnt max out the volume because of distortion.
The following users liked this post:
carlosriosness (10-21-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 01:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
the speakers are not distorting. In this case it is the signal that the speaker is playing that is distorted. and it is distorted beyond belief way before max volume. The OEM amp is garbage. OEM speakers are commodity crap. HU is very workable. that is where you need to start.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Hidden factor

There is restricted frequency responses on the oem HU for all the speaker signal outputs. FYI It really gets in the way when upgrading speakers which can go up to 20,000 kilo hertz.

I used some test tones and was amazed what the HU did not have the response.

I am using a special Audio Control line driver (8 channels) which gives the ability to work with the oem head unit.

There is one extra option of imputing the line driver directly bypassing ALL oem stuff. So I am using Cowon media player directly with that line driver. This will get the 20-20000 hz response.

Obviously you need a aftermarket amp.

This is a hidden factor why many get sub-par results.
Originally Posted by pohljm
the speakers are not distorting. In this case it is the signal that the speaker is playing that is distorted. and it is distorted beyond belief way before max volume. The OEM amp is garbage. OEM speakers are commodity crap. HU is very workable. that is where you need to start.