Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gt1
The .bin would be good enough for me. Is it available for download?
What version of the navi do you have.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:32 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.40c
Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

kennyc was kind enough to send me an ISO image with BN2HHMLD.BIN and BNHH401A.BIN. I tried to load it, but it didn't work. So I burned another CD, with all 9 BIN files, replacing the original BNHH401A.BIN with the one sent by kennyc. The navi seemed to load this disk, but it still came up with the TSX software I was using up to this moment. So I decided to completely power cycle the navi. To do this, I removed No7 fuse from under the dash- ignition key should be out for this procedure. 30 seconds was not enough, I had to remove the fuse for a second time, waiting about 5 minutes. I booted with my CD, system asked me for a PIN, and I rebooted with the factory DVD. Had wait for about 5 minutes for satellite aquisition, then navi booted with AngryDad message and OK button. I cycled the ignition key to reboot the navi again, and this time everything worked- no OK button, trip computer, manual A/C!
AngryDad, kennyc- thanks a lot!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Advanced

kennyc...nice writeup. i was hesitant to do this at first since there were so many places that i had go to get all the necessary files to do the hacks. but with your writeup, it took me 15 min. and it worked on the first try. you are da man!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro

Okay, sorry to be a pest about this but I just went through my 12th CD trying to get rid of the startup lag before the custom splash screen comes up. I followed kennyc's thread and instructions exactly and even used the original BIN file from the navigation CD. It's weird that I'm the only one experiencing this.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I feel like I've tried everything and I only have one more blank CD left so this last one has to be the winner
Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another confirmation that it works with 3.30f version (year 2004). Thanks to AD, kennyc and zeezz.

Originally Posted by zeezz
yes! worked!

confirmed working with 3.30f version, 3.40 trip computer and navi hack provided by kennyc, and custom boot image.

i'm happy.

easiest way to do it with CEBin if you don't have 3.4 or 3.5:

put CEBin, the bin file to patch, and the three files you want replaced (back.bmp, navi.exe, hmimanager.exe).

make a text file with the following (replace BN2HH12C if needed, this is for 3.30 fversion)

image BN2HH12C.BIN
replaceFile navi.exe C:\navihack\navi.exe
replaceFile Back.bmp C:\navihack\Back.bmp
replaceFile HMIManager.exe C:\navihack\HMIManager.exe

you have to replace the filenames (C:\ whatever) with your own. Then run CEBin from the command prompt:

cebin yourfile.txt -s tempfile.bin

then rename this file to the original image name, put it with the loader on a disc, and burn away as detailed in the other posts.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by zeezz
easiest way to do it with CEBin if you don't have 3.4 or 3.5:

put CEBin, the bin file to patch, and the three files you want replaced (back.bmp, navi.exe, hmimanager.exe).

make a text file with the following (replace BN2HH12C if needed, this is for 3.30 fversion)

image BN2HH12C.BIN

you have to replace the filenames (C:\ whatever) with your own. Then run CEBin from the command prompt:

cebin yourfile.txt -s tempfile.bin

then rename this file to the original image name, put it with the loader on a disc, and burn away as detailed in the other posts.
You also can use command "saveToFile" in cebin script:

image BN2HH12C.BIN
saveToFile BN2HH12C.NEW
Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Okay, sorry to be a pest about this but I just went through my 12th CD trying to get rid of the startup lag before the custom splash screen comes up. I followed kennyc's thread and instructions exactly and even used the original BIN file from the navigation CD. It's weird that I'm the only one experiencing this.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I feel like I've tried everything and I only have one more blank CD left so this last one has to be the winner
I get this too on my 3.50 nav, and I too cannot get rid of it. I think it is dependent on the picture you are using. That, or something went wrong with the picture when I downloaded it from the nav startup picture thread.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Pro

Hey mitul103,

Thank goodness there's someone else who's experiencing the same thing as me. I thought I was the only weird one out there having this issue with my 3.50 nav.

I'm not sure if it's the image or if it's the actual dumpnavi program. When I had this similar issue in the past, I got rid of it by using a clean and fresh original BIN file from the navigation CD and using the dumpnavi graphical console and not the DOS version. But it seems like to do this hack, we need to use the dumpnavi DOS version.

Can you let me know if you fix it? Or if anyone else on the forum has any input to help us both out, that'd be great too
Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Pro

Hey mitul103,

Thank goodness there's someone else who's experiencing the same thing as me. I thought I was the only weird one out there having this issue with my 3.50 nav.

I'm not sure if it's the image or if it's the actual dumpnavi program. When I had this similar issue in the past, I got rid of it by using a clean and fresh original BIN file from the navigation CD and using the dumpnavi graphical console and not the DOS version. But it seems like to do this hack, we need to use the dumpnavi DOS version.

Can you let me know if you fix it? Or if anyone else on the forum has any input to help us both out, that'd be great too

Well my first suggestion would be try the other 2 hacks without the new background and see if that gets rid of it.

At least that way you'll know it is the picture causing it.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I thought I saw something in one of the original "swap your picture" threads about there being a lag, if the picture isn't exactly the right size or format. I think bysin posted that, anyway.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro

I'm pretty sure it's not the picture because I took one of the pictures off of one of the other threads that has Nav Hack images. Also, in the past, I used the same picture and it worked without lag. The only difference this time around is that instead of using the dumpnavi graphical console, I'm using the dumpnavi DOS console to update the BIN file.

Me and multi seem to be the only ones having this issue though. Hopefully we'll both be able to figure it out. I think I might have kennyc take a look at it personally and see what he can do.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not the picture because I took one of the pictures off of one of the other threads that has Nav Hack images. Also, in the past, I used the same picture and it worked without lag. The only difference this time around is that instead of using the dumpnavi graphical console, I'm using the dumpnavi DOS console to update the BIN file.

Me and multi seem to be the only ones having this issue though. Hopefully we'll both be able to figure it out. I think I might have kennyc take a look at it personally and see what he can do.
so you get a lag before the picture??? i think most of us have a lag after the disclaimer goes away (with a beep)... i haven't seen the lag before the initial welcome screen on mine
Old 10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Pro

Yeh, my lag is before the picture. The lag after the welcome screen is there because that's the normal lag for the nag screen and the beep is the sound of angrydad's program bypassing the OK button.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Try using the stock picture and see if the lag goes away.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

I got the wallpaper and Trip Computer enabled on v3.50 but not the OK button yet.. I'm assuming the problem is on my end, so I'll go back and retrace the steps for that hack. Great instructions guys!

Here is my new background!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Pro

Okay, so here is the image that I'm using for my splash screen. I get a lag before this image comes up though.

Can someone confirm that this image is okay to use for the startup without getting a lag? It looks like to me that it's the right size and everything which makes the lag at the beginning really make no sense.

I'm trying to figure out if it's really the image that's causing the lag or not.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

I have been following these threads for many weeks now and I "fixed" my Nav last night. I did get the lag on the first boot of the new system, but after that it booted right up.

Because not enough people give their situational info:
I used both of Angry Dad's patches without touching any other text.
I used CEbin to add the images back to my v3.50 files.
I used a bitmap posted from the Hacked Navi Images thread that I saved from the thread as a PNG and resaved it to BMP using Gimp2.0 (The free photoshop program).
I burned the two files to an Imation CDR and it worked great.

In my first (failed) attempt, I hacked the warning text and the file compressed small enough to use dumpnavi. I ended in a boot loop that only showed the New BMP and the new warning text, then reboot, show pic, etc.

One other thing I noticed from my successful hack was that my Nav position marker was off for about 10 minutes on the drive to work this morning. (1st time out of the garage since the fix) and it took several turns before it corrected itself. Had me a little freaked out.

Has anyone tried the TripComputer upgrade to save info to the PC card? I saw this mentioned in another thread.....

Kudos to Angry Dad for his hard work. My Paypal beer tokens went out this morning.....

- Wolfman1138
Old 10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
10th Gear

Need a little help with the pic upgrade.....I've successfully updated the ok button fix and the trip computer hack.....

The problem is when I start the car....the picture that I used doesn't show up?? I copied a picture from one of the forums and used the dumpnavi to upgrade the Back.bmp to the bin file.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM
10th Gear

I'm thinking that the problem is i'm getting the file in png format and am not correctly converting it to bmp?? Which I think I have to do to get it to work....so, what programs are people using to convert from png to bmp? besides photoshop. The pic I want to use is here and is Post #6 by jastor3759 (the bottom pic), could someone convert that to a bmp file and upload it here? Thanks for any help!! Matt
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
How about the hack that allows us to go directly into audio? I use that 95% of the time anyways.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:23 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by matthew7899
I'm thinking that the problem is i'm getting the file in png format and am not correctly converting it to bmp?? Which I think I have to do to get it to work....so, what programs are people using to convert from png to bmp? besides photoshop. The pic I want to use is here and is Post #6 by jastor3759 (the bottom pic), could someone convert that to a bmp file and upload it here? Thanks for any help!! Matt
I'll do it for you when I get off work.

Kenny
Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
10th Gear

Thanks kenny, really appreciate it.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
EBAYGEEK

YES THIS IS WHAT I NEEED, btw I've donated to the fund =]
Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah, actually, I am getting the lag before the picture as well. I hadn't noticed it until I actually took my car out today. Same version of the software as well. Hmm... I'll have to reset and try again.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

From this post:

UPDATING THE SPLASH SCREEN (VIA COMMAND PROMPT)

The new pictures needs to be (to prevent lag):

• BMP format with no more than 256 colors
  • named: "Back.bmp"
  • dimensions: 480x234x256 BMP (max)
  • size: 110 KB (113,068 bytes) (max)
  • size on disk: 112 KB (114,688 bytes) (max)
If you're getting lag, it's likely your picture doesn't match these specs.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bluenoise
From this post:

[/list][/indent]If you're getting lag, it's likely your picture doesn't match these specs.
Cool... Just checked my BMP and it was 113,398 bytes (but same size on disk)... I'll chop a pixel or two off of the height to get the size down and see if that works in the car. Thanks Bluenoise.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Pro

Okay, so here's the deal with my lag. I ran some more tests to see if it was in fact the image.

1st test) I tested to see if the image would still lag by only adding the HMIManager.exe and navi.exe hacks and without changing the stock image. It didn't lag so I concluded that it definitely was in fact the image file that I was using that was creating the lag.

2nd test) I tested to see if it was a problem with the way dumpnavi was dumping the image file back into the BIN file so I extracted the BIN file and copied the stock image over to my hard drive and dumped the stock image back over. After that, I burned the BIN file back onto a CD and did the hack. Once again, there was no lag so it definitely wasn't an issue with the way dumpnavi was putting the image back in either.

So with all this said, it definitely had to be something wrong with the image I was using. I had my roommate (a computer genius) check to see if the image I was using was the exact same dimensions and specs as the stock image on the Nav CD. Everything was the same and the specs matched the specs above to prevent lag. Which brought me to my 3rd and final test.

3rd test) I redid everything over using my image this time and once again I got the lag before the startup screen.

Gosh, I'm seriously stumped. I know it must be the image but I've tried like literally every test possible and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Here's the exact image I'm using. Does anyone see anything wrong with it or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks to all those who have been trying to help. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. What else could it possibly be?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

Okay, so here's the deal with my lag. I ran some more tests to see if it was in fact the image.

1st test) I tested to see if the image would still lag by only adding the HMIManager.exe and navi.exe hacks and without changing the stock image. It didn't lag so I concluded that it definitely was in fact the image file that I was using that was creating the lag.

2nd test) I tested to see if it was a problem with the way dumpnavi was dumping the image file back into the BIN file so I extracted the BIN file and copied the stock image over to my hard drive and dumped the stock image back over. After that, I burned the BIN file back onto a CD and did the hack. Once again, there was no lag so it definitely wasn't an issue with the way dumpnavi was putting the image back in either.

So with all this said, it definitely had to be something wrong with the image I was using. I had my roommate (a computer genius) check to see if the image I was using was the exact same dimensions and specs as the stock image on the Nav CD. Everything was the same and the specs matched the specs above to prevent lag. Which brought me to my 3rd and final test.

3rd test) I redid everything over using my image this time and once again I got the lag before the startup screen.

Gosh, I'm seriously stumped. I know it must be the image but I've tried like literally every test possible and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Here's the exact image I'm using. Does anyone see anything wrong with it or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks to all those who have been trying to help. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. What else could it possibly be?
Same here... I dropped the size of my image and still have the startup lag... Very weird.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Try this one...

the size of the original one was a little too big... (113400B, should be 113068B) This one is smaller than the original.

I think the problem is that it was using local (adaptive) palette instead of local (perceptual) palette.

Try it and let me know,

Kenny
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro

OH MAN!!! KENNYC, IT WORKED!!! I USED YOUR IMAGE AND GOT NO LAG!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE SERIOUSLY THE MAN!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Pro

OH MAN!!! KENNYC, IT WORKED!!! I USED YOUR IMAGE AND GOT NO LAG!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE SERIOUSLY THE MAN!!!!!!!!

Congrats.

That's why you have to follow the directions exactly.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 AM
1st Gear

Working with 3.30

I've got a 3.30 DVD, and I tried Bysin/"Improved dump navi" first, and had no luck, caused an endless reboot loop. Pulled the fuse, reset it back to factory. Tried with CEBin integrated kennyc's 3.40c version, and it worked flawlessly. What a huge improvement, I've been hoping someone would make this work for a long time. Thanks AngryDad!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 AM
10th Gear

Great Job! I sent my donation. Keep up the good work. I love the trip computer. Why didn't Acura just put that in there??
Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
help!

I have gotten to the point where i need to burn a cd with the files (BNHH401a.BIN) and the loader (BN2HHMLD.BIN) can i use nero and burn them as data files? and i belive that you guys said cd-r's will work? please help!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro

Yes burning them with Nero as a Data CD (or DVD I use DVD+RW so if I messup I don't waste discs)
Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I use dvd-rw to load my bins. cd-rw should work too!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Instructor

cant you just sell me a compleat disk for the ok and trip computer update? for real just slap a disclamer on it and sell em for 20$-50$?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Talking

you know what i decided to just take a deep breath and start over and it worked, You only need to read your instructions and take it step by step. great job or the ok button! the T/C is cool but i think about the ok button every time i start my car and now i just watch the road and what im doing. I threw a splash pic up but i need to make a custome pic this may take some time to compleate i need to bone up on my photochop...

P.S. you have all the steps outlined for how to do this hack but you havent added any photos for peeps that are more visually stimulated lol
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

LOL! Glad everything worked for ya!

I did make an effort and put the splash screen link in the write-up

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal