Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
FOR SALE - BM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just bought a mac because my PC died.. i am a complete newbie to macs.. should i start by getting virtual PC???.. can anybody give me detailed instructions ?? greatly appreciated...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM
8th Gear

What kind of Mac? New or used?

If it is new and has an Intel processor in it you can skip VPC all together and use Parallels Desktop for Mac (VPC won't run on an Intel actually). It uses hardware virtualization and is much faster than VPC could ever be.

You will then have to have the Windows install discs and install it within Parallels.

If your Mac does not have and Intel processor you will need to go the VPC route. Setup is similar as with Parallels.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
hey kennyc, the file you sent me works perfectly! thanks a lot!!
Would it be possible if u can send me the files? I'm having a hard time doing this. Need help. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i have a imac just bought it last weekend, so yeah , it has an intel chip.. i will try to get a copy of parallels and then the windows disks..
Old 02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jazznut
jobondur,

Can u email it to me, too? I'm having a hard time doing the hack. I get the CRC check failed error. Getting frustrated. I was able to do the Splash screen and that was it. My email is jazznut619@hotmail.com. Thanks.
Got all the hacks to work using kennyc's files. Thanks for your post. Great job.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by newin96
OK used a different burn software and it got rid of the "Please check your disk" and loaded the revised bin files. I replaced the disk with the original NAVI upon getting the disk error after loading and no changes were made
still have the old image
still have the OK button
and no Trip Computer

Will go through the reprogramming process again and see what happens
Hey newin96 (or anyone else who's still reading this thread)... which CD-burning software did you end up using, to get around the "Please check your disk" message? I'm seeing that too, and like in your case, it's coming up immediately after I insert my burned CD. I tried burning a 2nd one with the same software (Sonic DigitalMedia LE, which is what I've always used to make music & data CDs), in case it was a problem with the actual disk, but I get the same error. Also, I'm able to read the disk in my laptop and copy both BIN files off of it again, so it's definitely not the disk.

So again, which CD-burning software have people been using successfully here? Because Sonic DigitalMedia ain't cutting it for me.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

can i do that on my 07 tl-s ???
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
old school

Originally Posted by elessar
Hey newin96 (or anyone else who's still reading this thread)... which CD-burning software did you end up using, to get around the "Please check your disk" message? I'm seeing that too, and like in your case, it's coming up immediately after I insert my burned CD. I tried burning a 2nd one with the same software (Sonic DigitalMedia LE, which is what I've always used to make music & data CDs), in case it was a problem with the actual disk, but I get the same error. Also, I'm able to read the disk in my laptop and copy both BIN files off of it again, so it's definitely not the disk.

So again, which CD-burning software have people been using successfully here? Because Sonic DigitalMedia ain't cutting it for me.
Nevermind... I was using the wrong BIN file... duh! Nothing to see here, folks, move along...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM
old school

Follow-up: I finally got it to work (OK button bypass, trip computer & custom splash screen)! Thanks to AngryDad, kennyc, newin96 and everyone else who contributed to this thread. And a word of advice to anyone who's just starting to attempt the hack: DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING! This was my mistake. Because my current version of the Nav disk is 3.50, I assumed that I didn't have to lookup my loading filename in the Diag menu, or use the smaller .EXE files that kennyc tweaked for v3.40. Turns out I had to do both, possibly because I was originally running v3.40 and then upgraded to 3.50?? Either way, it works great if you follow ALL the directions instead of getting lazy & taking shortcuts. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 AM
old school

Oh yeah... as to my original question about which CD-burning software to use, the problem was obviously not with Sonic Digital Media. That was actually what newin96 switched to, to get around his "Please check your disk" error, and that's what I eventually went back to to burn the disc that worked for me, after I figured out the real problem.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
old school

Originally Posted by tl-typeS07
can i do that on my 07 tl-s ???
Looks like it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=250

I'm guessing the navi works the same for the '07 TL-S as for a regular '07 TL.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Elessar,
Congrats on your success . I've been delinquent on following this thread so thanks for your PM.
I too was using the wrong BIN file (in combination with challenging writer software), but this is really a great mod (and easy if you completely follow the instructions as we both now know ).
Old 02-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Racer

Is it safe to assume you use the same BIN file for all these mods? I was able to get the image and trip computer to work but not the OK hack. I'm on version 3.5. I had to use Cebin to put the OK hack back into the BIN but then the car wouldn't read the disc.

Also, I have a delay in my image and I'm not sure why. The size and type of file all match the instructions.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

if anyone has the the ok hack and the trip computer hack for version 3.6 I would greatly appreciate it...I've tried to do the hack myself to no avail...

chase265@gmail.com

the bin thats loading for me is BNHH401A.BIN

thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Looks like it:

I'm guessing the navi works the same for the '07 TL-S as for a regular '07 TL.
Also, see post #311 in this thread for some additional info from my hack of my '07 TL-S. Note, however, that there is still no hack for trip computer or "OK as far as I know.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
Is it safe to assume you use the same BIN file for all these mods? I was able to get the image and trip computer to work but not the OK hack. I'm on version 3.5. I had to use Cebin to put the OK hack back into the BIN but then the car wouldn't read the disc.

Also, I have a delay in my image and I'm not sure why. The size and type of file all match the instructions.
I had similar issues with my ver. 3.5 when I was preparing my hacked BIN file. To get the navi.exe to fit I followed apnar's suggestion #23 and replaced most of the French text with spaces. Then I was able to fit navi.exe back into the BIN.

I also had the image delay with my first couple of tries. The fix boiled down to what all those that have successfully completed these hacks have reminded us again and again: "Follow the directions is post #1 EXACTLY. Do not deviate one bit."

The key to fixing the lag issue was kennyc's post #69 suggesting that the wrong palette was being used. So I went back into Phoptoshop and used the local (perceptual) palette. Now my image has no lag.

Thanks to all that have taken the time and patience to walk us all through the steps for getting these great hacks done.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
8th Gear

Today while I was working on hacking my navi, I noticed that when loading a new BIN file, there is an option to load from "Card". So, I loaded my BIN files onto a Compact Flash card, stuck the card into a PCMCIA adapter and put it in the PC Card slot on the navi.

Instead of selecting to load the BINs from the disc I selected Card. It tried to load, but I got an "ATA read error".

Anyone know what type of drive format the navi is expecting to see?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
old school

Question: has anyone here, after successfully hacking the Navi, taken their car into an Acura dealer for service? I'm getting close to another oil change, and I do still take it to the dealership for service, but I'm wondering if the service guy will say anything about my hacked navi (I changed the splash screen image and got rid of the OK button, so it's kinda obvious). I'm not worried about voiding my warranty or anything, since I've got over 60k miles on my '04 already, so the warranty is long gone. But is it technically illegal for me to remove that disclaimer? Or is it just Acura's legal responsibility to put it in there, and then I can (theoretically) do whatever I want with it? Kinda like those tags on my mattress? I'm weighing whether or not it's worth it to reload the BIN file from the Navi DVD, right before I take it in for service, and then reload my custom-rolled one afterwards. Thoughs/comments/opinions/extreme ridicule? Let's have it!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
10th Gear

Question: has anyone here, after successfully hacking the Navi, taken their car into an Acura dealer for service?
I have, and the guys who saw it were thoroughly impressed. They LOVED the custom splash screen, and either didn't notice or chose not to comment on the missing nag screen.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
old school

Originally Posted by DirectorBoy
I have, and the guys who saw it were thoroughly impressed. They LOVED the custom splash screen, and either didn't notice or chose not to comment on the missing nag screen.
Awesome! Then it stays.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
-=2005 TL=-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I don't want to impede on the thread, but can you guys please just go on this thread and just add your names to the petition even if you guys already have exhausts, whether comptech or not, whether you want an exhaust or not, i need names (bodies) to sign up on the petition so we can get GReddy to manufacture us a catback...Thank you for your cooperation. Here's the website:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153880
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Question: has anyone here, after successfully hacking the Navi, taken their car into an Acura dealer for service? I'm getting close to another oil change, and I do still take it to the dealership for service, but I'm wondering if the service guy will say anything about my hacked navi (I changed the splash screen image and got rid of the OK button, so it's kinda obvious). I'm not worried about voiding my warranty or anything, since I've got over 60k miles on my '04 already, so the warranty is long gone. But is it technically illegal for me to remove that disclaimer? Or is it just Acura's legal responsibility to put it in there, and then I can (theoretically) do whatever I want with it? Kinda like those tags on my mattress? I'm weighing whether or not it's worth it to reload the BIN file from the Navi DVD, right before I take it in for service, and then reload my custom-rolled one afterwards. Thoughs/comments/opinions/extreme ridicule? Let's have it!
Mine's only been in once, but the service writer just said "Cool! How'd you do that?" I told him and he just went about his business. Of course, I wasn't complaining about a Navi problem. If you ever have a Navi problem, you probably want to disconnect the battery and let it reload the stock image from the disk before you take it in.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
You do not need to disconnect the battery to reload the original settings. Simply repeat the "load disk" step, but this time, use the original DVD instead of the modified one.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Well I just did my change yesterday and whoah that s*it looks kool. Just one question it seems like the image screen stays on a bit shorther than the original Acura Navigation Start up screen. Does anyone know or has anyone done something to keep it up a bit longer?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

heres the modified bin file with the wallpaper and ok button hack for disc 3.6.
with loading file BNHH401A.BIN
using this wallpaper
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5604/coolblue1ga.png

http://www.savefile.com/files/525145
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
6th Gear

Navi Hack Help??

Would anyone be willing to help me by creating a DVD for the NAVI screen hack. I've got a 2007 TL. I want to put a personal picture up, but I dont have a DVD burner.... Any helpp??
Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nehalpatel
Would anyone be willing to help me by creating a DVD for the NAVI screen hack. I've got a 2007 TL. I want to put a personal picture up, but I dont have a DVD burner.... Any helpp??
You don't need a DVD burner. And plus it's the 21st century. Its odd that some people don't even have a DVD burner.

It's only $40. Now compare that to your $35k tl
Old 03-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

2007 OK Hack

Is anyone working on the 2007 OK hack?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Cruisin'

response to nguyen220

Originally Posted by nguyen220
You don't need a DVD burner. And plus it's the 21st century. Its odd that some people don't even have a DVD burner.

It's only $40. Now compare that to your $35k tl

What I find odd, or actually, disturbing, is that you would make such a comment in a forum. Hmmm. Let me guess. You are a privileged, cocky little pr*ck, maybe thinking about law school, or perhaps lined up to inherit the family business? It's easy to detect these kinds of things in such immature, insensitive, harshly-toned replies like yours.

At any rate, I think most writers in these forums would prefer you keep your "don't even have a DVD burner," and, "And plus, it's the 21st century" sarcastic-little-bitch comments to yourself.

Finally, your similar "It's only $40" statement is just as insensitive. Maybe he won the car, maybe it was a gift, or maybe it's been in an accident or a fire and it's trashed, and $40 is a lot to him. Or, having to spell it out to someone like you, maybe he's always wanted one and spent all his money on this prized posession, and the $40, again, is too much for an item he doesn't really need anyway, or wants but can't afford. Most people do just fine without DVD burners, and even though it's the 21st century, burners haven't been around that long. Maybe a long time to you, given your young age, about half your life I suppose. So keep your worthless, insensitive, rude comments to yourself and get lost. Go buy some more upgrades for your car and some new CDs and DVD audios. Charge it to your parents credit card if you can get away with it, wax your car and head to the beach. I'd love to run into you someday. Lastly, he doesn't need someone like you pointing out the difference between $40 and $35k. What a piece of work you are. Get some therapy a-hole.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Cruisin'

wish I could help

Originally Posted by nehalpatel

You brought up a great idea. I'd pay a few bucks for the CD or DVD to get the hack accomplished. Anybody want to sell a couple? The nitwit that responded to you before said you don't need a DVD burner, but failed to offer any advice at all, such as, what do we need? I guess it would be a CD burner, but he's splitting hairs to be the hole he appears to be. Good luck. Please post something if you get a personal reply--I'd be interested in a copy--I don't want to go through what many people apparently have, only to have part of it not work properly. That's why I'd pay for the disc.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Seabass425
Is anyone working on the 2007 OK hack?
+1 here. The 'OK' screen is seriously getting on my nerves... Anyone want to take a run at a hack for v4.55A?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Advanced

I thought from this post that the 2007 tl(s) required a dual-layer dvdr.. am i mistaken?

Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Instructor

I'm ready to start this process - can we resonably figure that this will work on the 07 NAVI?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by donc
I'm ready to start this process - can we resonably figure that this will work on the 07 NAVI?
I just completed the Welcome Screen Mod on my 07 TL Navi by using the instructions from BBoz's post and worked perfect.

As BBoz said, use 07Touch2.bin instead of 06AVN2.bin and use a DVD dual layer to burn the files. I used a DVD+R (single layer) yesterday and it didn't work. Bought some DVD+R Dual Layer disk this morning and used Roxio Easy Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition to burn it and what do you know, success!

Thanks guys for all the work on these mods!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nerfherder
I just completed the Welcome Screen Mod on my 07 TL Navi by using the instructions from BBoz's post and worked perfect.

As BBoz said, use 07Touch2.bin instead of 06AVN2.bin and use a DVD dual layer to burn the files. I used a DVD+R (single layer) yesterday and it didn't work. Bought some DVD+R Dual Layer disk this morning and used Roxio Easy Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition to burn it and what do you know, success!

Thanks guys for all the work on these mods!

Was anyone able to download the file on those instructions? It forwarded me to another page...
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
c:\nav\>dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe
Updating navi.exe ...
The size of the updated file must be less-then or equal to the size of the old file.
This feature might be introduced in a newer version.
Updated file (COMPRESSED): 3028352 bytes Old file (COMPRESSED): 3028315 bytes

While following the directions up to the point where you get this error above, this is what you should do. Go download Kennyc's version instead of the AD version of the navi.exe because the version 3.40c vs 3.50 will not make a difference. Then update and this will take care of the error and also bypass the "okay" issue. hope this is clear enough and hope it'll take care of some of your issues that I had to go threw (sp).

Enjoy bypassing the "okay" function

Also, I still have all the files needed to create / send the backup so if you cant get yours to work msg me via aim or PM (aim name is - choed0tcom). My current car is the 2006, 3.50 (orange DVD disk)
Old 03-18-2007, 01:22 PM
4th Gear

Angry Dad's Mod

I've been reading and reading trying to figure out what exactly Angry Dads mod does. Something related to a trip computer? What is the purpose of it?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BBoz
Good News 2007 TL Owners

Got info on how to hack the Startup Screen for 2007 TL's. Worked on mine w/White Disk v4.55.

It's basically the same as a hack for the 2006 Civic. Guy named Guicide has some instructions online here: http://www.guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/ . Instead of using his 06AVN2.bin file, you use the 07Touch2.bin file from the TL v4.55 DVD. All the other instructions are pretty much the same. (They are very detailed, so even a computer novice should be able to follow without a problem.)

Pay special attention to the file size. Has to be 480 by 234 pixels and 256 colors BMP and you need to use his 8to16 program on it. Some of the Graphics in the TL thread are a different size. (off by a few pixels). I used the Lo/Jack graphic, increased the size using Paint and saved it and used it, no problem.

You do have to use a DVD (dual layer) to burn it correctly (UDF). I used DVD-R, not sure if an RW will work (do they even make Dual Layer RW disks?). Heard reports no for the 06, but haven't tested it on the 07 yet.

The Load instructions are off by just a little. You shouldn't get the "error" screen that he got for the Civic, but the rest of the procedures are the same to bring up the diagnostics menu and download the new DVD info. Once you boot and hit ok, do the keypresses and download like he shows.

Now... Working on the OK screen text and elimination of the OK button are our next challenges.

I followed the directions that were posted, and I got a blank startup screen. Would you be willing to make me one, and email them to me?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BBoz
Good News 2007 TL Owners

Got info on how to hack the Startup Screen for 2007 TL's. Worked on mine w/White Disk v4.55.

It's basically the same as a hack for the 2006 Civic. Guy named Guicide has some instructions online here: http://www.guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/ . Instead of using his 06AVN2.bin file, you use the 07Touch2.bin file from the TL v4.55 DVD. All the other instructions are pretty much the same. (They are very detailed, so even a computer novice should be able to follow without a problem.)

Pay special attention to the file size. Has to be 480 by 234 pixels and 256 colors BMP and you need to use his 8to16 program on it. Some of the Graphics in the TL thread are a different size. (off by a few pixels). I used the Lo/Jack graphic, increased the size using Paint and saved it and used it, no problem.

You do have to use a DVD (dual layer) to burn it correctly (UDF). I used DVD-R, not sure if an RW will work (do they even make Dual Layer RW disks?). Heard reports no for the 06, but haven't tested it on the 07 yet.

The Load instructions are off by just a little. You shouldn't get the "error" screen that he got for the Civic, but the rest of the procedures are the same to bring up the diagnostics menu and download the new DVD info. Once you boot and hit ok, do the keypresses and download like he shows.

Now... Working on the OK screen text and elimination of the OK button are our next challenges.
I tried creating the new startup screen with the posted directions, but ended up with a blank screen splash. Would you be willing to help me create one, and email me the files??
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Instructor

me too ....

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal