Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

There is a lot of reading one has to go through through find the answer on how to hack the navi. I want to combine all the threads and condense it so one can find how to do it by reading this thread. This guide is mainly written for people with the 3.40c and 3.50 orange navigation disks who also are familiar with a computer. UPDATE: There is a slight difference for 3.60 as noted in this thread. UPDATE 2: Instructions for 3.7 may be found this thread. If you don't know what a command prompt is please do not try to do the following yourself. Talk to your kids or your neighbor's kids and see if they can help you!

Another thing, I am not responsible if you blow your navigation system up yourself. By using this article you take full responsibility of your own action.

Tools that you might need

DumpNavi - DumpNAVI by bysin, it extracts and replaces files within BIN file.
Improved DumpNavi - Works with 4.xx NAVI software.
CEBin - CEBin, more feature and less limitation, but harder to use.
Navi-GUI - GUI front end for the DumpNAVI program.
TLPatch401a.com - AngryDad's trip computer patch.
HMIManager.zip - Kenny's modified trip computer for v3.40c (password: kennyc)
NaviOK401a.com - AD's OK button patch for Navi 3.50
navi.zip - Kenny's modified OK executable for Navi 3.40c (password: kennyc)

How do I change my wallpaper??

Things that you need
Your favorite photo editing software - I like photoshop
DumpNAVI program
A picture you like
Your navigation DVD.

Instruction
1. Create your wallpaper. Not artistic? Too lazy? Try here
2. Resize/crop the wallpaper down to 380x234 with 256 colors
3. Resize the wallpaper to 480x234 so it will "stretch" the wallpaper horizontally.
4. Save it as "Back.bmp" - make sure your photo editing software converts the picture from RGB to Indexed (img->mode->indexed color in photoshop) and enter 173 in the colors field. Also make sure it is saved as 8-bit bitmap. So your wallpaper will be the same size as the original. (113,068 bytes, 114688 bytes on disk) Make sure your wallpaper is the same size or smaller than those numbers, or else it will not work!
5. Copy 2 files off your orange navigation disk. (IMPORTANT!!! if you did the wallpaper and/or the trip computer already. You want to use your modified BNHH401A.BIN instead of the one copied off the navigation dvd)
BNHH401A.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
6. Copy DumpNAVI.exe, your wallpaper, and BNHH401A.BIN into the same folder.
7. Go to a command prompt by start-> run, and type in "cmd" and press enter.
8. Say I put all three files in the "navi" folder on the c drive, I will type "c:" (without the prompt) and press enter. Then type in "cd navi" and press enter.
9. Now you should see "C:\NAVI>" Now type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Back.bmp" and press enter. The pc will prompt you when it's done.
10. The new wallpaper is now in the bin file.

If you want to add AngryDad's trip computer please go to the next section, if wallpaper is all you want find the section named "How to load my custom bin back into the car?"

How do I load AngryDad's trip computer mod??

Things that you need
Your navigation DVD
DumpNavi Program
AngryDad's trip computer patch (for v3.50)
or
Kennyc's modified version (for v3.40c)

Instruction
For version 3.50:
1. Download AngryDad's trip computer patch.
2. Copy two files off your orange navigation disk. (IMPORTANT!!! if you did the wallpaper and/or the trip computer already. You want to use your modified BNHH401A.BIN instead of the one copied off the navigation dvd)
BNHH401A.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
and put them in the same directory as the dumpnavi and the AD's TC patch.
3. Go to a command prompt and change into that directory.
4. Type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract" This will extract everything within that BIN file into a folder named BNHH401A
5. Find a file named HMIManager.exe in that folder and copy it out to the same folder as AD's TC patch.
6. Run the patch.
7. After patching, type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update HMIManager.exe" This will load your patched trip manager back into the bin.

For version 3.40c:
I trimmed the HMIManager.exe for v3.50 so it will fit in the v3.40c's bin.
1. Download my navi.zip from the link above
2. Extract the HMIManager.exe into the same directory as your dumpnavi program (password: kennyc)
3. Copy two files off your orange navigation disk. (IMPORTANT!!! if you did the wallpaper and/or the trip computer already. You want to use your modified BNHH401A.BIN instead of the one copied off the navigation dvd)
BNHH401A.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
and put them in the same directory as the dumpnavi and HMIManager.exe
4. Type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update HMIManager.exe" This will load the modified v3.50 trip computer into v3.40c Bin.

A note from AngryDad:
When you do the trip computer patch, you might as well benefit from replacing diag.exe from the 401a bin with diag.exe from the 404a bin. It enables trip computer screen in diag menu (where you can log data to the card if interested). Holding "Menu" for 5 sec on that screen, gets you to "Trip Computer calibration" menu.

How do I load AngryDad's OK button crack??*

Things that you need
Your navigation DVD
DumpNavi Program
AD's OK button patch (for v3.50)
or
Kennyc's modified OK button executable (for v3.40c)
*See updated notes below

Instruction
For version 3.50:
1. Download AngryDad's OK button patch.
2. Copy two files off your orange navigation disk. (IMPORTANT!!! if you did the wallpaper and/or the trip computer already. You want to use your modified BNHH401A.BIN instead of the one copied off the navigation dvd)
BNHH401A.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
and put them in the same directory as the dumpnavi and the ok patch.
4. Type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract" This will extract everything within that BIN file into a folder named BNHH401A
5. Find a file named navi.exe in that folder and copy it out to the same folder as AD's OK patch.
6. Run the patch.
7. After patching, type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe" This will load your patched navi.exe into the bin.

For version 3.40c:
As with the trip computer, I trimmed the navi.exe for v3.50 so it will fit in the v3.40c's bin.
1. Download my ok button excutable from the link above
2. Extract the navi.exe into the same directory as your dumpnavi program (password: kennyc)
3. Copy two files off your orange navigation disk. (IMPORTANT!!! if you did the wallpaper and/or the trip computer already. You want to use your modified BNHH401A.BIN instead of the one copied off the navigation dvd)
BNHH401A.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
and put them in the same directory as the dumpnavi and navi.exe.
4. Type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe" This will load the modified v3.50 navi.exe into v3.40c Bin.

How to load my custom bin back into the car?
1. Burn your custom bin (BNHH401a.BIN) and the loader (BN2HHMLD.BIN) onto a blank CD.
2. Go to your car.
3. Turn your car's ignition to ACC
4. Open the trunk and pop out the NAVI disk (if it's in there)
5. Insert your newly burned CD.
6. Go back to the driver seat, the display will show some dvd read error, now press and hold "GUIDE" "MENU" and "CANCEL" for approx 5 seconds to bring up the diagnostic menu.
7. Wait another 5 seconds to let it load up completely. Press "version" button on the screen
8. Press "LOAD DISC" to load your custom bin into the navigation.
9. Wait until it's completely done and it will then display another error message about can't read the navi dvd, now take out your bin CD and insert your Navigation disc and you are done!

Troubleshooting and Tips
I found the navigation system is pretty tolerant of mistakes. If you screw something up (and you probably will) All you need to do is reinsert your original navi dvd back into the drive, press and hold "GUIDE" "MENU" and "CANCEL" for 5 seconds and it will take you to the diagnostic menu EVEN if your navigation system is in a loop! Once you're in the diagnostic menu just go into "version" and press "load disc" and everything will be back to factory state.

This will not erase your phone pairing, phone books, nor presets.

One last tip,

Make sure you keep a backup copy of your custom bin file. That file contains your wall paper, trip computer and the ok button mod. If you lose it you would need to redo everything again.

Thanks goes out to everyone, especially to AngryDad and datmrman for their hardwork and write ups. You guys are what make this board better than "the other board"

edit by datmrman
Great job summarizing everything kennyc! I guess it is time for my summarized hack thread to retire.

That thread is now locked. For future reference, the thread is here: Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)

UPDATED NOTES:

How to change the map background color.

A couple of members have found ways to circumvent the two initials "AD" from appearing on the navi.exe mentioned above. Here are their threads:Click Here for directions for 3.7

Click Here for Minor Differences with 3.60

'07 TL Instructions on Post #250

Canadian '07 TL Splash Screen Notes on Post #625

Navi Hack BMP's (Images)

Revision History

2006.10.03 Updated the post per kennyc's requests
  • changed link to HMIManager.zip
  • changed Navi.exe -> navi.exe
  • added AngryDad's note about the trip computer

2006.10.12 Added link on how to change the map background color

2006.10.17 Fixed a typo with a command

2006.11.07 Added links to "AD-free" threads.

2006.11.17 Added link to '07 specific notes.

2007.01.13 Added link to thread specifying minor differences with version 3.60.

2007.09.27 Added link to Canadian '07 TL splash screen notes

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 08-28-2013 at 06:33 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by kennyc:
asiac68 (09-13-2011), benny_jdm (03-13-2012), burijon (05-03-2012), Chisel (09-28-2014), kpc2593 (01-30-2013), Troomoo (10-13-2015), WizardKelly (07-26-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
FOR SALE - BM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn this is awesome.... good job putting all this together i was wondering how many pages i was going to have to rumage through to get the answers ... now if only i could find a burning program on the net for cheap to do this . im sure my laptops software will not be able to handle this... thanx again kennyc
Old 10-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Excellent...i've already done the wallpaper... will probably do the other two hacks. Also, originally we were told to copy all 9 BIN files and now your saying we only need to copy the 2. Is that correct?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Pro

Couple changes/corrections
Originally Posted by kennyc

4. Type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract navi.exe" This will extract everything within that BIN file into a folder named BNHH401A
5. Find a file named Navi.exe in that folder and copy it out to the same folder as AD's OK patch.
6. Run the patch.
7. After patching, type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe" This will load your patched navi.exe into the bin.
Only extracting the Navi file makes it simpler so you don't have to wade through multiple files.

Also the file is navi.exe NOT Navi.exe and if someone copys and pastes, or type it exactly, it won't work.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro

And also, this for some reason doesn't work this simply for me on 3.50. Everything works perfectly for the TC computer hack but the navi.exe file is too large to put back into the BIN using dumpnavi. Argh.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by sunnyflava99
Excellent...i've already done the wallpaper... will probably do the other two hacks. Also, originally we were told to copy all 9 BIN files and now your saying we only need to copy the 2. Is that correct?
yes... all three mods resides within BNHH401A.BIN. The other file is the loader.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by brianp6621
And also, this for some reason doesn't work this simply for me on 3.50. Everything works perfectly for the TC computer hack but the navi.exe file is too large to put back into the BIN using dumpnavi. Argh.
What version?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM
10th Gear

What version?
I think he has 3.50. I also have 3.50, and after patching, navi.exe is slightly too large to put back into the .bin with dumpnavi. It shouldn't be too much hassle to trim the file though. I will try later on tonight.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by brianp6621
i get the same thing using dumpnavi.exe (orange disk 3.50)
Old 10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mitul103
I think he has 3.50. I also have 3.50, and after patching, navi.exe is slightly too large to put back into the .bin with dumpnavi. It shouldn't be too much hassle to trim the file though. I will try later on tonight.
using bysin.exe it will allow it, but i don't know if that will work when u load it in the car
Old 10-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Pro

D:\Acura TL\OK-Image-Trip Hack>dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe
Updating navi.exe ...
The size of the updated file must be less-then or equal to the size of the old file.
This feature might be introduced in a newer version.
Updated file (COMPRESSED): 3028352 bytes Old file (COMPRESSED): 3028315 bytes
Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro

I'm having the same issue as Brandon Claps with the navi.exe file.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
D:\Acura TL\OK-Image-Trip Hack>dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe
Updating navi.exe ...
The size of the updated file must be less-then or equal to the size of the old file.
This feature might be introduced in a newer version.
Updated file (COMPRESSED): 3028352 bytes Old file (COMPRESSED): 3028315 bytes
For people with this problem who have the 3.50 disc, and who do not wish to hex edit their file, just use kennyc's 3.40c version of navi.exe. It is just a trimmed 3.50 navi.exe so it should work great.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Pro

where is everyone?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

hmmm... guess 3.50 users got to use cebin to put the file back into the bin.

After last night's experience I rather trim off some part of the exe to make it than using cebin.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro

I used the trimmed version that kennyc offered but I think that's why my startup image is lagging. I really can't seem to understand why else it would
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro

For people with this problem who have the 3.50 disc, and who do not wish to hex edit their file, just use kennyc's 3.40c version of navi.exe. It is just a trimmed 3.50 navi.exe so it should work great.
brb trying that
Old 10-03-2006, 06:14 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

what he said ----^
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Pro

i used the trimmed version of kenny's and everything works....

slimmyjimmy, the lag your talking about, are you talking about after it says please wait loading navigation?

after i get loading please wait AD.....a few seconds after that i hear the little beep (like the OK button would pop up) and 4 seconds after i hear the beep the map apears.... are you reffering to that? If your reffering to that it takes 4 seconds before back.bmp (the custom startup screen) then no, mine comes up instantly.

kennyc, do you have a 4 second lapse before the map shows after u hear the "beep"?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

ugh. not working for 3.30f version (the 3.4 file). i tried trimming out more with a hex editor, but i think it's off by >900 bytes, so that might take a while.

has any one had success with CEBin? I put the files on by force, but now my navi is in an endless loop. Not sure if that's becuase i trimmed out something needed or if the file size forcing didnt work.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was successful in getting the OK button hack to work using CEbin to repack kennyc's trimmed navi.exe into my 3.30G BIN. I was off by more than 1500 bytes, so hex editing didn't seem to be an option.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I was successful in getting the OK button hack to work using CEbin to repack kennyc's trimmed navi.exe into my 3.30G BIN. I was off by more than 1500 bytes, so hex editing didn't seem to be an option.
bysin.exe i believe will also let you repack a larger file
Old 10-03-2006, 06:28 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

bysin.exe i believe will also let you repack a larger file
Where is bysin.exe available?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro

"imporved dumpnavi" that kennyc listed
http://guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/Bysin.zip
Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Where is bysin.exe available?
improved dumpnavi on the top of the page.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

kennyc, do you have a 4 second lapse before the map shows after u hear the "beep"?
yep!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Pro

yep!
do you have aim?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

"imporved dumpnavi" that kennyc listed
http://guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/Bysin.zip
Ah, thanks...I didn't look at the name of that.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

do you have aim?
no... messenger...
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM

thanks for the confirmation. off to burn and waste more CDs, now that i know it's possible!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by zeezz
thanks for the confirmation. off to burn and waste more CDs, now that i know it's possible!
Good luck. It took me two discs. The first one only had the tweaked BIN on it and the car told me there was a problem with the disc. I burned another disc with the modified BIN and the MLD BIN and that worked fine.

So, the working disc has these two files on it:

BN2HH12C.BIN <-- This is the one that got the new navi.exe
BN2HHMLD.BIN
Old 10-03-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by zeezz
yes! worked!

confirmed working with 3.30f version, 3.40 trip computer and navi hack provided by kennyc, and custom boot image.

i'm happy.

easiest way to do it with CEBin if you don't have 3.4 or 3.5:

put CEBin, the bin file to patch, and the three files you want replaced (back.bmp, navi.exe, hmimanager.exe).

make a text file with the following (replace BN2HH12C if needed, this is for 3.30 fversion)

image BN2HH12C.BIN
replaceFile navi.exe C:\navihack\navi.exe
replaceFile Back.bmp C:\navihack\Back.bmp
replaceFile HMIManager.exe C:\navihack\HMIManager.exe

you have to replace the filenames (C:\ whatever) with your own. Then run CEBin from the command prompt:

cebin yourfile.txt -s tempfile.bin

then rename this file to the original image name, put it with the loader on a disc, and burn away as detailed in the other posts.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Pro

now we have to find how many beers it takes for him to make an mp3 player :o
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up and patches for those of us with the 3.40c disk, great job kennyc and Angrydad! Kennyc's worked for me on the first try!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Thanks for the excellent write up and patches for those of us with the 3.40c disk, great job kennyc and Angrydad! Kennyc's worked for me on the first try!
I second this! It took me a few times to get it right but it now works. All hacks and the image is installed. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Pro

Kenny, you still need to update/fix your instructions per my previous post. Just want the most accurate info out there.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Instructor

You guys sure make an easy thing so hard. This takes no time at all! Oh wait that's because I had someone do it for me. He didn't seem to have many problems. Now my own little customized screen fits my car so much better. Thank you Kenny.

Now if Mr. AD would take his AD off I would really be a happy girl. You could mark with something like Superman. I could live with that.
(maybe you would get a flash to)
Old 10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Maybe someone with a working file can post it or an ISO of the CD for the lazy among us. I can help with a hosting.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

the bin contains trip computer, the no-nag mod, and wallpaper. I can look into create an ISO with the factory wallpaper if you want that.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

The .bin would be good enough for me. Is it available for download?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal