Just did my isimple installation (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just did my isimple installation (pics)

i had about half an hour to spare and decided to start my installation. It was very easy and only had to remove a few trims (not the entire dash).

I would like to specified some of the concern i had before the installation. The harness you need is the one closest to the driver side. (is at the left side of the radio which makes it easier)

you have enough room to be able to touch the hardness with your fingers and even remove it without the needs of tool (tools makes it easier, without tools is hard but possible). I used a hanger to remove the harness when it was amost out i used my fingers. Used a flat head screw drivers to place it back in.

THIS IS NOT A DIY. JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHERE THE HARNESS IS LOCATED.

This is the version i installed, (04-08) ISHD571
XM still works, Steering wheel controls works. i read somewhere that to switch tracks from the steering wheel you have to do a long press, Not with this version of isimple, it just a simple touch.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I got the same unit and I have problems with it. At first when I plugged it in I got nothing as in no screen or anything. Then I kinda forced the plugs a bit more and got my radio back on but still no screen then I did it again and got mine screen back on and the radio back on but it didn't show the ipod or anything like that. I tried this damn thing like 10x and still nothing. I'm about to send mine back for a refund. I ordered it off of amazon with a top seller too. They told me I can either get a refund or exchange it. Which plug harness did you get the PGHHD1? I read here that people had issues with it and that another one was replaced for it PGHHD2. I got the PGHHD1 harness but I don't know if it's right cause I have xm on but I'm not using navtraffic. I'm at a loss with this. Oh the unit was charging my ipod btw but for some reason it just didn't recognize it. My ipod and Iphone are both updated as well.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
you don;t have problems rebooting the navi.with this product ?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I got the same unit and I have problems with it. At first when I plugged it in I got nothing as in no screen or anything. Then I kinda forced the plugs a bit more and got my radio back on but still no screen then I did it again and got mine screen back on and the radio back on but it didn't show the ipod or anything like that. I tried this damn thing like 10x and still nothing. I'm about to send mine back for a refund. I ordered it off of amazon with a top seller too. They told me I can either get a refund or exchange it. Which plug harness did you get the PGHHD1? I read here that people had issues with it and that another one was replaced for it PGHHD2. I got the PGHHD1 harness but I don't know if it's right cause I have xm on but I'm not using navtraffic. I'm at a loss with this. Oh the unit was charging my ipod btw but for some reason it just didn't recognize it. My ipod and Iphone are both updated as well.
To be able to have traffic you need an adapter, i believe is in the trunk. even if you are using traffic or does not have it enable you have to install isimple after the device. So in your case if you have the device, your isimple installation should be in the trunk area. For non traffic device you connect it to the back of the radio.

do you have the traffic device in your system but not enable with xm?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:39 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by eduardmc
To be able to have traffic you need an adapter, i believe is in the trunk. even if you are using traffic or does not have it enable you have to install isimple after the device. So in your case if you have the device, your isimple installation should be in the trunk area. For non traffic device you connect it to the back of the radio.

do you have the traffic device in your system but not enable with xm?
I am using XM and actually my subscription is up tomorrow the 15th. I'm unsure if I'm going to renew it though. However I am not subscribed for nav traffic. I tried it for it like a month but it was a waste of money. I thought even if you are using xm it still gets hooked up behind the radio and only in the trunk if using nav traffic?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:30 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
nice....im installing mines tomorrow............im not signed for xm radio but i have the feature, do i still install it the same way you did?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by EATSLEEPRACE
nice....im installing mines tomorrow............im not signed for xm radio but i have the feature, do i still install it the same way you did?
if you have the PGHHD1 harness which has the two white plugs then yes. I think the newer harness PGHHD2 is to hook it up in the trunk and I think it has black plugs.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Why me??

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I paid $150 for the kit and harness
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
6SPEED FEVER

did mines today... but i have PGHHD1...little hard to work at first but i am very pleased, steering control works perfectly
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by EATSLEEPRACE
did mines today... but i have PGHHD1...little hard to work at first but i am very pleased, steering control works perfectly
Do you have xm? I can't figure why mine won't work I'm ready to return mine. Maybe have them send me another one and if that doesn't work either then I'll just scratch it altogether.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Why me??

Do you have xm? I can't figure why mine won't work I'm ready to return mine. Maybe have them send me another one and if that doesn't work either then I'll just scratch it altogether.
what trouble are you having?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by mikedog4
what trouble are you having?
When I first hooked it up I got nothing no screen no sound like it was off. I fiddled with the harness some then I got sound back but still no screen then I did it again and got the screen back but couldn't change any stations or anything. When I got it all back it didn't even show the ipod it was charging it but not showing it at all. There's got to be a problem within the connections to the unit or just the plugs are crappy I dunno. I gave up at like 10 tries and pulled it out and put everything back to normal. I did exactly how it said to install it and go thru the proper motions to get it to work but nothing.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Why me??

was the unit updated with the latest firmware version? you didnt touch the dip switches by accident did you? if not, did you remove the sticker covering them to make sure they were all in the off
position? ive seen them be in different positions even with the sticker covering them.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM
OREO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the steering wheel still allows u to change the tracks? and the navi screen displays the songs?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by mikedog4
was the unit updated with the latest firmware version? you didnt touch the dip switches by accident did you? if not, did you remove the sticker covering them to make sure they were all in the off
position? ive seen them be in different positions even with the sticker covering them.
I believe it was updated with the latest firmware because my iPod is update and so is my iPhone. I didn't touch any of the dip switches and they were all off. I even made sure by pushing them towards the off position just in case any were stuck in the middle but they were good. I wound up sending the unit back today so they can send me another one to try and if this one doesn't work then I'll scratch the whole isimple idea for the time being. When I get the new one in Ill post up my results.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Why me??

yeah sending back for a new unit sounds like the best idea at this point.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
6SPEED FEVER

I believe it was updated with the latest firmware because my iPod is update and so is my iPhone. I didn't touch any of the dip switches and they were all off. I even made sure by pushing them towards the off position just in case any were stuck in the middle but they were good. I wound up sending the unit back today so they can send me another one to try and if this one doesn't work then I'll scratch the whole isimple idea for the time being. When I get the new one in Ill post up my results.
i was having problems getting the ipod to show up but is because i didnt know you had to turn the sound knob withing 4sec that you pug it in......................hope when you get the new one it works out
Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Originally Posted by NYC04TL
the steering wheel still allows u to change the tracks? and the navi screen displays the songs?

mine lets you change the tracks on steering wheel...and you can see the songs on the screen ..................but it doesnt show you a list of the songs like pioneer aftermarket nav systems..........
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for making this thread....
Quick question for those of you have it installed.
Where did you guys put your isimple module ?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Why me??

mounted mine using double sided tape to the back of the hvac/radio display panel. perfect fit. ran cable for ipod up through console to armrest.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by hophamson
Thanks for making this thread....
Quick question for those of you have it installed.
Where did you guys put your isimple module ?
BestBuy - $179.99
(iSim73)
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM
6SPEED FEVER

i put mines with double sided tape, on the left side were you plug in the harness
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

I heard somewhere that once in awhile you would need to upgrade the firmware.
How much of a trouble for you guys to take it back out every time for upgrade?
I guess you can't really put it anywhere else that's easy to access, since the cables are pretty short? I don't have one, just assuming from the picture. Planning on getting one very soon, can't drive anywhere without my ipod...
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by hophamson
I heard somewhere that once in awhile you would need to upgrade the firmware.
How much of a trouble for you guys to take it back out every time for upgrade?
I guess you can't really put it anywhere else that's easy to access, since the cables are pretty short? I don't have one, just assuming from the picture. Planning on getting one very soon, can't drive anywhere without my ipod...
I don't think that's how you upgrade the firmware otherwise it would've came with a wire to connect to the computer to be able to. I think when you update your iPod that's when you update the isimple when you connect to it. iBooks be wrong though.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Why me??

yeah you have to remove to upgrade firmware can be a pita if you installed behind the display like mine
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I installed mine today. It works but with a bit of a delay, like its slow to respond. Also, can't get the steering wheel controls to work. thats probably one of the biggest things I wanted it to do. I removed and reinstaleld. Not sure what it isn't doign it. I'll have to troubleshoot some more. Sucks.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 AM
under renovations....

I installed mine last week. My issue was it was supposed to go in the trunk to the xm unit (nav traffic equipped). But I can get the steering wheel to work either right now the only thing it'll do is put repeat on IIRC. I finally got the hang of switching over from SAT to IPOD and using the tuner knob to cycle through the tracks but that too can be a PITA. I can do it faster on the ipod itself. I guess I have to toy around with it.