iSimple + iOS 4 (iPhone) = no worky

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by iSimple
Guys and Gals,

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clear it up a bit.

YES, the GMC (Golden Master Candidate) for iOS4 has been available for about 2 weeks now. We have decided however to make sure that there was not another change before its release. That is why it will be released soon and was not before.

YES, the PXAMG-iC will be available on or before the 5th of July.

NO, the price is not 9.95 it is actually 29.95 and will include a USB to mini-USB cable along with complete instructions on how to update both the hardware and firmware. Our tech that provided that information made a typo and you should be getting a follow up email that states this.

There is however a way that it can be used in the vehicle until it is released. Disconnect the module. Leave it sit disconnected for about 10 mins. Flip dip switch number 4 to the on position. Plug the module back in. This will give you AUX1 and AUX2 this will give you audio only and no control at all. AUX1 will be the port furthest to the dip switches and AUX2 is the port closest.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
I think I have found a fix for this iOS 4.0 issue everyone is having. Go to a pawn shop, purchase working iPod for 30-50 dollars. Now I have much more storage space, works perfectly, and I don't have to worry about going in my house, putting the alarm on, getting to my room only to realize I forgot my phone plugged into my car in the console...That last feature alone is worth spending the money to me.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n3o
I think I have found a fix for this iOS 4.0 issue everyone is having. Go to a pawn shop, purchase working iPod for 30-50 dollars. Now I have much more storage space, works perfectly, and I don't have to worry about going in my house, putting the alarm on, getting to my room only to realize I forgot my phone plugged into my car in the console...That last feature alone is worth spending the money to me.
Not a bad idea at all! The only thing I wonder is can I still charge my iPhone in my car when I am not listening to the iPod.

Also, has anyone tried the workaround (where you cannot control the iPhone from the radio and steering wheel) and do you still have full controls over your music via the iPhone?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
n3o
Pro

Originally Posted by fpickering
Not a bad idea at all! The only thing I wonder is can I still charge my iPhone in my car when I am not listening to the iPod.

Also, has anyone tried the workaround (where you cannot control the iPhone from the radio and steering wheel) and do you still have full controls over your music via the iPhone?
I tried that earlier today and it kept making a feedback noise everytime I selected a new track. I don't know about charging the iphone while its in the mode said above but I rarely need need to charge mine anyway.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

No Firmware Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just an FYI to all of the AcuraZine readers, USASPEC's product does not have any issues with iOS4. I am thinking it would be worth it just to replace the iSimple at this point.
Where can I buy the USASPEC product?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by new270
Just an FYI to all of the AcuraZine readers, USASPEC's product does not have any issues with iOS4. I am thinking it would be worth it just to replace the iSimple at this point.
Where can I buy the USASPEC product?
I googled it and found several places that sell them with the most known being crutchfield.

EA
Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I googled it and found several places that sell them with the most known being crutchfield.

EA
How much is it? Can you supply a link?

Also does anyone know if the iSimple cable coming from the back of the stereo head unit can be used with the USASPEC product?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by fpickering

I discovered this glitch last night with my iPhone and iOS4 - I just updated my phone this weekend. While it does not allow the iPhone to function as an iPod, it still charged my phone. My phone was nearly dead and after a 15 minute drive the battery had a charge.

Using an old iPod works fine. I dug out my old iPod Mini and it works fine with the iSimple. This is going to be a temporary solution for playing my own music until I see if the the 'work around' solution works or I pay $30 to upgrade the chip. I don't want to have to carry around both, my old iPod and my iPhone.

Hopefully I'll have time today to try the 'work around' suggested by iSimple to just change dip switch 4 to see if that works and if you can control your music from the phone. I'll post an update once I've done that - hopefully today.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Charlie3Sticks
I discovered this glitch last night with my iPhone and iOS4 - I just updated my phone this weekend. While it does not allow the iPhone to function as an iPod, it still charged my phone. My phone was nearly dead and after a 15 minute drive the battery had a charge.

Using an old iPod works fine. I dug out my old iPod Mini and it works fine with the iSimple. This is going to be a temporary solution for playing my own music until I see if the the 'work around' solution works or I pay $30 to upgrade the chip. I don't want to have to carry around both, my old iPod and my iPhone.

Hopefully I'll have time today to try the 'work around' suggested by iSimple to just change dip switch 4 to see if that works and if you can control your music from the phone. I'll post an update once I've done that - hopefully today.
I pulled out my iSimple controller to try the 'work around' - switching the DIP switch 4 to 'on'. I had no luck when I reinstalled it. Actually it made the XM button on the stereo non-responsive so it was impossible to even get it to recognize "Aux1", "Aux2" or "iPod" let alone get XM. At one point it actually made the entire screen on the stereo go blank but I was still getting FM stereo through the speakers.

The new circuit board is on order. While I'm not thrilled to spend $30 it looks like it's the simplest fix available to have an iPhone with iOS4 on it work with the stereo and an iSimple controller.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought it and paid to get it installed (since it was already behind the dash.)

If they hadn't inadvertently told me the $9.95 price and made the offer to honor it, I would have thought about other options. I just bought the iSimple back in May. I know they had no way of knowing Apple was going to change their device to require a different chip, but it sucked to buy a $150 device and have it rendered obsolete in a month.

The new unit works as well as the old one.

Using an iPod is a viable solution....but carrying both an iPhone and an iPod defeats one of the advantages of having the iPhone to begin with. But a cheap model I could have left in the glove compartment would have been a serious consideration. Even though I would have missed WunderRadio and Pandora...which were two of the main reasons I bought the device.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 AM
10th Gear

sorry, but is this thread all in reference to the gateway made by isimple? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple+...mple&cp=1&lp=3

if so, how is the sound quality? I purchased the isimple transmitter system, and it was horrible in terms of sound quality. Please let me know, and thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 AM
2011 M37x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by doublea834
sorry, but is this thread all in reference to the gateway made by isimple? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple+...mple&cp=1&lp=3

if so, how is the sound quality? I purchased the isimple transmitter system, and it was horrible in terms of sound quality. Please let me know, and thanks in advance.
this thread is in reference to getting the isimple to work with Apple iOS4...anyways i bought the chip but i was too lazy to change it so i downgraded my ipod back to 3.0...that was a nightmare.

anyways back to your question bring your transmitter back and just spend money on the isimple kit. there is a vendor on here that you can get it from. the sound quality is cd quality in my opinion. i love it i had it in my tsx and now mt tl-s
Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by blacktsx05
this thread is in reference to getting the isimple to work with Apple iOS4...anyways i bought the chip but i was too lazy to change it so i downgraded my ipod back to 3.0...that was a nightmare.

anyways back to your question bring your transmitter back and just spend money on the isimple kit. there is a vendor on here that you can get it from. the sound quality is cd quality in my opinion. i love it i had it in my tsx and now mt tl-s
thanks, i really appreciate it...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I'd still try to see if you can downgrade the firmware on the device before paying for a kit. I can't be totally sure, but I think I'm on .26 and it works absolutely perfectly. I used to have the NO IPOD CONNECTED message about ten times in a row anytime I plugged it in with my 3G, but I've not had it once since I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I also no longer have the iPod trying to cut in when I'm using WunderRadio.

I'll attempt to see which exact firmware I have this weekend, but I think you're on your own to see if you can downgrade the unit. I'm certainly not upgrading at this point.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What happened to the link for the pxamg-ic on isimple's website? All info regarding the upgraded firmware and board is gone. Please explain...
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I just got my iPhone 4 a week ago and finally got around to plugging it in to my iSimple and just like my 3G with iOS 4, it works fine.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AMIC
I just got my iPhone 4 a week ago and finally got around to plugging it in to my iSimple and just like my 3G with iOS 4, it works fine.
wow! what version of firmware are you running with the iSimple? Does it charge it?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by kitkit201
wow! what version of firmware are you running with the iSimple? Does it charge it?
I think it's a really old generic .36 version (not Acura-specific). And yes it does charge because I sprung for the 5v cable when I bought my iSimple.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
n3o
Pro

I think it's a really old generic .36 version (not Acura-specific). And yes it does charge because I sprung for the 5v cable when I bought my iSimple.
Neither my iOS4 3GS or iPhone 4 worked on my car with iSimple.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by n3o
Neither my iOS4 3GS or iPhone 4 worked on my car with iSimple.
It's a mystery why some people's work and some don't. I wonder what the common thing is? Is it the firmware or maybe older units? I bought mine in Dec 2008.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
It's a mystery why some people's work and some don't. I wonder what the common thing is? Is it the firmware or maybe older units? I bought mine in Dec 2008.
I have no idea when mine was purchased, but it's gone without a firmware update for over a year at least.

My iSimple works better now that I have the 4.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone who put the new chip in had any issues with the iSimple seeming like it's not turning on? It's totally random, but sometimes I turn on the car and the stereo display doesn't come on, but if it's on FM, the radio still plays, and i cannot select XM to switch to the iPhone until the display comes back on. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but I would really love to make it go away.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
sigh....not so I(simple) anymore.......
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm planning on getting an adapter for my iPhone4, and it seems like everyone's having a lot of problems. I just want the text display, steering wheel controls and nav screen selection. Which product should I buy for the least amount of problems with the most fuctionality?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ch33sE1
I'm planning on getting an adapter for my iPhone4, and it seems like everyone's having a lot of problems. I just want the text display, steering wheel controls and nav screen selection. Which product should I buy for the least amount of problems with the most fuctionality?
USA spec
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
8th Gear

sigh so now a new challenge

Isimple + PXAMG-IC upgrade or USAspec

going to be roughly same price. trying to debate all the pros/cons
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Just wanted to say that my iSimple is working the best it ever has since doing the IC upgrade and firmware bump. I used to get occasional oddness and delays when changing inputs but haven't had a single issue since putting in the new IC. I have noticed the initial delay when turning on the unit or switching to it which lets you select an input seems a tad longer which is fine now that I'm used to it.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 AM
TL owner

im switching to the usa spec , isimple really lost me with there lack of effort to get this fixed, and making us spend even more money on a upgrade chip when we have already spend $$$ on a unit already.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Eiswritsat
im switching to the usa spec , isimple really lost me with there lack of effort to get this fixed, and making us spend even more money on a upgrade chip when we have already spend $$$ on a unit already.
The lack of a response from iSimple on this is ridiculous not to mention the fact that their solution involves me spending more money for their inferior planning. This displays a very poor business acumen on their part.

I am going to call them on a last ditch effort and if they do not do the right thing, I'll buy the USA spec and spread the word that USA spec is the brand to go with.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
TL owner

YES!!!!!!!! i installed a Isim73 brain into my acura and got rid of the old brain and now my pandora and ipod work great on my iphone 4! no more isuues or pop ups
Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Is there really only one other person having the issue of the iPod music playing through the HFL during calls when using the iSimple interface?

Here's my thread describing the problem: Link

It's very frustrating and I can't tell if it's Apple, Acura, or iSimple to blame.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 PM
TL owner

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Is there really only one other person having the issue of the iPod music playing through the HFL during calls when using the iSimple interface?

It's very frustrating and I can't tell if it's Apple, Acura, or iSimple to blame.

i dont think its a isimple problem period either apple or Acura, there were a few times when using my blue tooth ear piece with my 3g i had music playing threw the ear piece while on a call so it might be the phone, try a restore.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by bluenoise

I haven't upgraded to 4.1 yet and maybe a lot of others haven't either. If this is an Apple bug then once people start upgrading we might hear of more people experiencing this.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
TL owner

I haven't upgraded to 4.1 yet and maybe a lot of others haven't either. If this is an Apple bug then once people start upgrading we might hear of more people experiencing this.

i had the issue with 3.1.2 so its def not a IOS 4.XXX issue
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
TL owner

seems as if switching from the PXAMG to the ISIM73 has fixed my iphone/isimple issues and everything works great
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Why is everyone upset with iSimple? You guys are the ones that changed the software. You think a company is capable of designing a product that will work with every Apple device and its upgrades indefinitely?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by Eiswritsat
i dont think its a isimple problem period either apple or Acura, there were a few times when using my blue tooth ear piece with my 3g i had music playing threw the ear piece while on a call so it might be the phone, try a restore.
Before restoring last night, I tried it out with my wife's iPhone 4 running 4.1 and my daughter's 3G running 4.1. All had the same problem.

I think something changed in the OS to make it forget to pause during BT phone calls when the phone is plugged into a docking audio device. I'm going to give it a try with an audio dock I have in the house and see if I can get it to do that with a BT headset.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
TL owner

Originally Posted by Mug
Why is everyone upset with iSimple? You guys are the ones that changed the software. You think a company is capable of designing a product that will work with every Apple device and its upgrades indefinitely?

Most are upset because they say that it will work with a device on the box, there is no fine print saying with software 3.1.2 or 2.1.2 only etc. Also like developers they get the beta software just like i did, and specialize in Ipod and mp3 connectivity so.... There was a 4.0 beta, 1, 2, and 3 so there was plenty of time for them to find a fix that wasnt $30. Ios4 is a software not a hardware change and a fix could have been met without $30 IMO. Other companies had software updates etc that didnt require spending a extra $30 on top of the $150 and up plus install many people had to pay. i do home and car electronics so it wasnt a problem to me but many people forked out over $200 just to have a over priced ipod/phone charger after IOS4. USAspec had no ios4 problems so why did Isimple is the question many people have asked??
Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
TL owner

if you can get your hands on a honda/acura isimple with a ISIM73 model/brain it seems it have fixed the IOS4 problems
Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for posting this information. Since Apple changes their iPhone format on what seems like a yearly basis we have to update the product all the time. If anyone else has this problem please contact AAMP of America at:

http://aampofamerica.com/web/contact...er-service.asp

or via phone at:

1.800.477.2267 x285

Also check out the operation videos for Honda and Acura vehicles at

youtube.com/peripheralelectronic
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iSimple
The iC jumper does not require any soldering. A simple unplug and plug back in.

As for the cable, we offer the cable on our website. Go to Mobile, Parts & Upgrades, ISDPC11 is the cable you will need.
Im not gonna lie all the issues people have with your product and fiding firmware that works with their ipod really turns me off to buying one of the boxes.

Quick Reply: iSimple + iOS 4 (iPhone) = no worky