Groundbreaking Info! Hack your Navi! (Change Pics, Remove Nag Screen) (Garage I-139)

Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin777
Here are those pictures I promised. These are pictures of the hardware of the navigation system.
don't want to sound mean, but, great pics... but uh... so what? why did you post them? did you take it apart because you figured out something, or, were you just really, really bored one day?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by qali
don't want to sound mean, but, great pics... but uh... so what? why did you post them? did you take it apart because you figured out something, or, were you just really, really bored one day?

If you read his post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=310

He is working on researching the hardware and software to further hack the navi.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Big Brother is Watching..

wow, dude went crazy takin stuff apart. i was gonna try and use our HDS unit at the dealership to see if i could manipulate the navi system further...

Merlin: i would hightly suggest you don't publicize the fact that you took apart your dash and navi b/c i can gaurantee you your warranty will be voided. this message board is monitored by Acura representatives, i know this b/c i got in trouble at work for something i posted on here (i work for an Acura dealer). i am willing to bet someone has already put a note in your customer file about this.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Intermediate

Great pics man, some of them arent showing thoug?!?!?
i was wondering if you had a pic of the back of the screen.
and the connection that connects to the screen i wanna see how it looks.

what i am thinking is would it be possible to connect a car pc to the same screen with some sort of switcher to alow a car pc with touche screen fuctions to use the touch screen?? any ideas or suggestions?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by iceman804

what i am thinking is would it be possible to connect a car pc to the same screen with some sort of switcher to alow a car pc with touche screen fuctions to use the touch screen?? any ideas or suggestions?
yea, i was thinkin the same thing. i more or less wanted to be able to upload
pics from my digi-cam to something while i was at car shows etc. and not have to worry about taking my laptop around with me
Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iceman,

Here's a pic of the back of the navi screen unit/radio head unit:

You can see that and many more pics at my install page. The link is in my sig.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Racer

even if you can connect it to a PC, the problem would be to translate the touches to a format understandable by computers. There are screen out there that has the USB interface to translate it.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by iceman804

Originally Posted by Contivity
even if you can connect it to a PC, the problem would be to translate the touches to a format understandable by computers. There are screen out there that has the USB interface to translate it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never said specifically what I was trying to do but that is exactly the project I intend on working on soon (Once I am finished with another one I am working on). I plan on installing a video switcher to a computer in the trunk... that hopefully can interface with the touchscreen and different sensor assemblies. I just have to figure out the communication protocols and connections. I have most of the connections figured out I just have to devise a method to figure out how they send their information. This project originally came from the thought of having a computer in the trunk to play MP3's. Ultimately that is a first goal.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Wars not make one great

where is dumpnavi now?

Since bysin is gone and took his web site with him, does anyone know where I can find the dumpnavi package? Is it available anywhere else or can someone send it to me?

I originally came here looking for info about getting to my stereo (and found the great PDF file) and noticed the navi hacking stuff, which I've been interested in for a while now.

Thanks,
-Cozmo
02 TL-S
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Merlin,

I've seen touchscreen interfaces before, and also touchscreen overlays for monitors. They usually connect to the computers com port, and I think act as a serial mouse.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Generally Useless

WWBD (What would Bysin do?)

I'm with Cozmo. The files @ http://www.linuxkiddies.com/bysin/navi.zip are nowhere to be found. The site could just be down. but I have been waiting for 3 days, and it is still not up.

If anybody has the ZIP file(s), could you please send it/them to me. Even better, could someone post them and privide the link for all the Acura (perhaps hAckura would be more appropriate) community to enjoy? OK, one step better would be to post the no-nag file as well.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Generally Useless

Originally Posted by TurboSam
Merlin: i would hightly suggest you don't publicize the fact that you took apart your dash and navi b/c i can gaurantee you your warranty will be voided. this message board is monitored by Acura representatives, i know this b/c i got in trouble at work for something i posted on here (i work for an Acura dealer). i am willing to bet someone has already put a note in your customer file about this.

Yeah, the next time they see a work order with the name MERLIN777 at the top, you're busted!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:40 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

how close are people to getting the intro nag screen removed? i havent heard much on this.... anyone? thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 PM

some info on the "nag screen"

while test driving an 06 Odyssey touring yesterday, i played with the Navi in it a little. the firmware on the system is completely differnt, and appartently a much faster processor. once you startup and the nag screen comes up, you get the "OK" option immediatly, and it takes maybe a second to get to the map or auido screen after that.

that being said, this shows that one of the main problems with the nag screen delay is the speed of the processor. now, i personaly am no computer guru. i havnt come across much i cant figure out on one, but as far as looking at components and and telling what they do, im fucking retarded. i am hoping that perhaps i can snag a Nav unit from a new odyssey or Ridgeline and see if i can plug it into my car, and see how things change. they may not be compatiable, but i feel that if this does work, then perhaps someone here with some someputer hardware knowledge can shed some light on how to increase the startup speed so that AT LEAST we can get to our nav or audio controls in a more timely manner
Old 08-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Grin_and_tonic
Yeah, the next time they see a work order with the name MERLIN777 at the top, you're busted!
That is not a concern for me, but I thank you for your concern. The system I used is not under warranty any longer and anyways, I am not worried about them tracking me down....lol...Keep up the good work everyone.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:32 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

how is the nag screen removal goin? who is all workin on this and is it possible to do?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Wars not make one great

I still want to know if anyone still has the dumpnavi software and/or source code. How is this work continuing without it?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Generally Useless

A funeral might be in order. It has been about a week, and there are no signs of life from the linuxkiddies web site.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

so im gonna go ahead and assume that the acura TL hacking situation is over.... correct?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Generally Useless

Not at all. The dumpnavi files just need to be posted somewhere public by one of the many people who downloaded it (or by Bysin again).
Old 08-30-2005, 07:18 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

so why is it so hard to get it from just one person? do those people not go on here anymore to help out all the Acura TL owners?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
7th Gear

Here is the Dump Navi software you all requested.

I'm not going to keep this up long so mirror it somewhere.

http://www.pantz.org/navi/navi-console.zip
http://www.pantz.org/navi/navi-gui.zip

Both are for windows. It would be nice to have the source but I just did not download it. Too bad.

Your welcome.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:33 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

is this gonna work for the TL? where do u get the source? thanks btw!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by positron
I'm not going to keep this up long so mirror it somewhere.

http://www.pantz.org/navi/navi-console.zip
http://www.pantz.org/navi/navi-gui.zip

Both are for windows. It would be nice to have the source but I just did not download it. Too bad.

Your welcome.
Thanks so much!! Quick question-- when I try to use the command line version, I keep getting an "Unable to open BIN file" error. Am I doing something wrong?

Jung

PS I can post this on my web server, if need be.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:26 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Chita79
is this gonna work for the TL? where do u get the source? thanks btw!
This is straight from Bisyn's page when it was up. It is for the TL. When I say source I mean source code. I have no access to the source code unless someone else posts it.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:30 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jjpark
Thanks so much!! Quick question-- when I try to use the command line version, I keep getting an "Unable to open BIN file" error. Am I doing something wrong?

Jung

PS I can post this on my web server, if need be.
I really don't know what to tell you. I just read the directions and it worked for me. This was few months ago and it seemed to work then. You would be wise to put it on your server as I don't know how long I'll keep it up on my page.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:41 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

positron.... what would it take for someone to actually get into the code using the dumpnavi source? Ideally what we would want to do is to completely skip the intro nag screen altogether.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I heard someone did but won't post the code due to it requiring copying copywritten material or something like that. I left the nag screen after I realized the screen was just black, it looks better with the text, that way you know it didnt crash.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Chita79
positron.... what would it take for someone to actually get into the code using the dumpnavi source? Ideally what we would want to do is to completely skip the intro nag screen altogether.
Having the dumpnavi source code only gets you code that can be compiled and used to unpack binaries from your DVD. After you get to those binaries (in the .BIN files) can you begin to dissassemble the files and try to reverse engineer the software. You would need to find someone with a lot of assembly code knowledge.

The problem with the TL is its a pain in the ass to have to go and load the software in your car after you make changes to the program to see if your changes worked or not. It would be eaiser if there was a software simulator or something to try it out on first. The nag screen is a pain.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
For those waiting, bysin's site appears to be back online. Get it while it's hot.

We will be hosting his stuff if we get his approval.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Wars not make one great

Talking

Originally Posted by soopa
For those waiting, bysin's site appears to be back online. Get it while it's hot.

We will be hosting his stuff if we get his approval.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up! I snagged all 3 zip files just in case. I'll try tinkering with this stuff this weekend perhaps. :P
Old 09-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Wars not make one great

For those wondering about this hack on second gen TLs, it looks like it won't work (as others have said). I've spent a few minutes looking at the files on my old 2.05 navi dvd in a hex editor. This navigation system I'm pretty sure is running linux, not WinCE. If you look at the binaries (main.apn and apl.apn) they have ELF headers on them. I also see device names like /dev/dvda1 and such that indicate a unix of some kind.

There is only 1 bin file on my dvd (zzz\zzz.bin), and dumpnavi doesn't recognize it. I also tried other files and they didn't work either, so they aren't the same format with a different file extension.

Also, the directions for checking the bin file name do not work, but in the options screen I was able to see DB Version ADB0750, which is what most of the files on the dvd are named. These seem to be just the data files, not the program itself. There are 3 different sofware versions on there it seems, named ZU2FF, ZU200, and ZU225. I'm not sure which of these my car is using.

ADB0750.PKA This seems to be an address book with business names in it.
ADB0750.PSD More businesses
ADB0750.PCM This looks like a database of city names
ADB0750.PD More city names

I know some of this has been looked into already, but I didn't see much details on other threads for second generation TL navi systems.

Even if I did find the background image in one of these data files and manage to update it, I wouldn't know how to get it to load the new version from the disc.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone local to Huntington Beach, want to help me out with this?

Michael
Old 09-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Damn Right, Ima G!

Can someone PLZ help me how to do this Step By Step i REALLY dont know how to work this
Old 09-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Instructor

did you read the instructions? if so, what part failed for you? How far did you get? What don't you understand?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Damn Right, Ima G!

ok someone posted a picture...but i wanted to write something on it but the size is going over 110KB is it still possible for the picture to work eventhough the size is still 480 x 234
Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

so everyone pretty much gave up on making the intro nag screen completely be skipped altogether? just curious... thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Instructor

make sure the number of colors is 173 not 256.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Damn Right, Ima G!

how do i do that? im doing the picture off of Photoshop...do ne of u guys think i could send it to u so u can do it for me?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:12 AM
Damn Right, Ima G!

When i make the picture from a JPG and then transfer it to BMP the picture comes out to be 350KB is it ok to make the file 350kb with 480x234 and would the picture Still work on my navi or does it have to be a certain amount of kb as welll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Groundbreaking Info! Hack your Navi! (Change Pics, Remove Nag Screen) (Garage I-139)