DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, mine's still available in the classifieds if anyone needs one. at this point, i'd be happy to offer a pretty steep discount on the asking price.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

2004 navigation issue

Originally Posted by Marlon
didnt worked for me, I think I made it worst. before I would get the "dvd error" at least and audio interface will work, but now my screen is stuck on "please check your disk" with a dark screen and audio interface is gone.( tried old disk and new 2013 disk )

So i tried it and mine came up the same way. I was just wondering if you were able to fix the issue and if you can please help me out with this.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marceclar
So i tried it and mine came up the same way. I was just wondering if you were able to fix the issue and if you can please help me out with this.

sorry, no I was not able to fix. I think I might have fucked up something.. who knows. my navi is dead now. I was not able to get my money back from Ali just because it is a fucking hassle to send it back to China and I know Ali will not reimburse me the whole thing.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

awesome, will definitely try it once i get my TL back.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

I have an 04 MDX...For the past year the NAV has not worked, everything else, a/c, temp, etc worked on it, just had a message when I would hit menu that said "Disc reading error, please consult your dealer".

So I found this thread after doing some searching, took out the Nav system and tried to clean with a thinned out qtip and some alcohol and put it back together and CRAP!!!

My nav would start to show downloading software and then just a black screen stating "Please check your disc". I couldn't access the a/c screen anymore and have heard this happening to some.

Ready to give up and send it to Alpine, I tried one other thing. I took a very thin pie slicer and one of my glass cloths that also holds my sunglasses and slid that over it and duct taped the end to hold it in place. I then took out the dvd and inserted the pie slicer with the cloth on it and ran it around for about 20 seconds and could feel the slight give of the laser lens I was trying to clean. I pulled the slicer out and after a couple of eject adjustments (apparently it tricked it like there was a disc in there, I was finally able to reinsert the DVD disc and WHAMMO!!!

System starting downloading, asked me to enter my security code and WHALLA! I got my NAVI back!!!

Thanks to all those that helped with input and for those not wanting to remove the system, you may not need to. Just find something super thin and use a glasses cloth and you should have your problem fixed without having to send it to Alpine.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drjoe
well, mine's still available in the classifieds if anyone needs one. at this point, i'd be happy to offer a pretty steep discount on the asking price.
Can you email me: jacksonreo@gmail.com - Looking to buy your Acura DVD Navi mechanism for DV36T02C. Let me know how much and total for shipping to California. Thanks!

I'm assuming I need the new mechanism and not the optical lens, since my unit doesn't move when its power on. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see that most people in here have the "please insert disk" or some other message on the screen.

Mine is TOTALLY blank screen. Has anyone with a blank screen able to repair theirs?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 PM
3rd Gear

05 ACURA Rl navi

Wondering if this works for 2005 ACURA RL navi? My problem with it is the screen monitor is blank even if I turn on the car. Let me know anyone !
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

DV36M110 vs DV36T02C

Have '05 TL

Has anyone gotten the DV36M110 DVD Mechanism to work in an 04-06 TL?

It looks like the same ribbon cable connection in the same place.

We just did a Nexus Tablet upgrade so all I really need this for is the radio display on the dash. I have an iSimple and its hard to switch between inputs without the display. Of course all the audio controls (tone/fader/etc) are by feel too.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by professorman
I see that most people in here have the "please insert disk" or some other message on the screen.

Mine is TOTALLY blank screen. Has anyone with a blank screen able to repair theirs?
Hey Professorman - I've removed and reinstalled my nav unit (05 TL) a few times, I noticed that the screen will be entirely blank when the nav unit is out of the car. Also, if memory serves, I think a disconnected deck ribbon will also yield a blank screen - my ribbon shook loose easily when attempting the alibaba deck replacement.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ribasaurus
Have '05 TL

Has anyone gotten the DV36M110 DVD Mechanism to work in an 04-06 TL?

It looks like the same ribbon cable connection in the same place.

We just did a Nexus Tablet upgrade so all I really need this for is the radio display on the dash. I have an iSimple and its hard to switch between inputs without the display. Of course all the audio controls (tone/fader/etc) are by feel too.
Mine worked for 30 minutes or so but then ultimately got a read error again, I think my nav unit needs a new power supply - it's currently en route to Alpine.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

After my 2005 TL navigation died, I found this thread. Cleaning didn't work. so I tried a replacement through Ali Express. But, it didn't work. I'm not sure it matters, but my original was a "DV36T02C" and the one that I received was a "DV36T330". The units look the same, but after installing it and trying to get it to start, the Nav screen says "check your disk". But, the drive doesn't appear to be getting any power as the disk won't go in.

Anyone get a DV36T330 to work?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
My NAV got this error in our 2007 TL Base this past Sunday. 81,000 miles on the car.

The disc showed light scratches on the outside, so I used some light buffing compound on it, popped it back in and it works. I'm sure the scratches were caused by dirt, so I expect to do this DIY fully very soon.

Thanks again to the OP!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tilt23
After my 2005 TL navigation died, I found this thread. Cleaning didn't work. so I tried a replacement through Ali Express. But, it didn't work. I'm not sure it matters, but my original was a "DV36T02C" and the one that I received was a "DV36T330". The units look the same, but after installing it and trying to get it to start, the Nav screen says "check your disk". But, the drive doesn't appear to be getting any power as the disk won't go in.

Anyone get a DV36T330 to work?

Just a follow up... I found some more time to look into fixing my navigation with the part I received from Ali Express. I took the navigation apart and put everything back together (with the new part) and it worked!

Thanks for the write up and all the feedback. Saved me $200+ from using my own parts vs sending it to Alpine.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TacoBello
For those of you who cleaned your lenses and had the DVD drive work again- how long did this solution last for?

For those of you who replaced your mechanism with the alien press pieces- how long did they work for?

And again, for those of you who sent your units to Alpine, has anyone have there's fail?

The price between solutions isn't THAT huge- I mean, it's not cheap, but I'd be more interested in paying a higher price if it meant the fix works a hell of a lot longer.
I did this fix in 2013 and it lasted a few months. I tried it again multiple times and would not fix the issue and I ended up with the dreaded Check Disk message. I send the unit off to Alpine and a year and a half later and it is beginning to act up again with the DVD Disc read error. I'm going to contact Alpine and see what kind of warranty they have their service. Since it's been over a year i'm afraid I'll be SOL.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:43 PM
TLove

Thank everyone for this great info.

Like many my navigation system stopped worked a couple months ago. However unlike many who were able to fix their dvd player by cleaning the optical lens, my issue was that the mechanism seemed to be broken and frozen in place. (if you can see the optical lens in the top right corner of the drive rather than the middle, it most likely means the mechanism is frozen.)

In any case, I ordered the mechanism from Ali Express for $170. I received it after 2 or 3 weeks. I pulled the drive out, replaced the mechanism in about 40min and it seems to work now. Hopefully its a permanent fix.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Hello,

I just purchased a 2008 Acura TL

it has a grind from belt area I believe it is tensioner and pulley

however I have the "navigation unit door is open or no dvd disc installed please check system"

this thread was started a long time ago so curious should I disassemble and clean the lens or is there a Chinese knockoff I can purchase?

thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by rbailey86
however I have the "navigation unit door is open or no dvd disc installed please check system"

this thread was started a long time ago so curious should I disassemble and clean the lens or is there a Chinese knockoff I can purchase?

Well, if you don't have a Navi DVD in the drive, put one into it to see if the Navi works. Look for any scratches or scoring around the circumference of the DVD-- any scoring will mean the drive has to be disassembled and repaired.

If there is a DVD in the drive, eject it and clean the reader lens without disassembling the drive. Disassemble the drive and clean per the first page of this thread only if that cleaning doesn't work.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Will Y.

Well, if you don't have a Navi DVD in the drive, put one into it to see if the Navi works. Look for any scratches or scoring around the circumference of the DVD-- any scoring will mean the drive has to be disassembled and repaired.

If there is a DVD in the drive, eject it and clean the reader lens without disassembling the drive. Disassemble the drive and clean per the first page of this thread only if that cleaning doesn't work.

Welcome to AZ.
got it

will clean disc first

nothing ejected when pushing button though

so step 1 i will get the disc...also there are discs designed to clean the lens as well by inserting and spinning it cleans the eye, ill try that to....

last step i will refer to page 1

thanks

p.s. i got the car from original owner...180,000 highway miles...timing belt, tranny flush, and coolant flush, radiator replacement all done at 150k
There is a grind that is coming from pulley and tensioner hoping it goes away when i replace it....the water pump was not replaced with timing belt, but paying 2k for the car beggers cant be choosers
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Advanced

in addition to my last post....the new CDs on acuras site are $99.....
Old 05-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Advanced

question

this is good for the 08 TL

i see much success in this thread with this

also, stupid question this has a lens already or you have to swap?

Top quality Alpine DVD mechanism DP33M21A DP33M220 DV33M01B DV36M110 DV35M110 for BMNW Jeep Lexus Mercedes VW car DVD navigation-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Advanced

apologize for so many posts...seems u cant edit a post to add to it

my unit has no power....meaning I press eject nothing happens

would the alieexpress china unit work in this case or do I need an entire new unit...if that's the case ill send it to alpine
Old 05-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
apologize for so many posts...seems u cant edit a post to add to it

my unit has no power....meaning I press eject nothing happens

would the alieexpress china unit work in this case or do I need an entire new unit...if that's the case ill send it to alpine
Send it to Alpine for repair.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced

since there is no power, and no light illuminated on eject button, and eject is inoperable id assume its a power issue. cleaning the laser would do nothing in that case

what is the fix for that? im guessing the alpine refurb would do the trick or is there a power supply that can be replaced

avoiding sending them $380 if I don't have to...
Old 05-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Registered but harmless

since there is no power, and no light illuminated on eject button, and eject is inoperable id assume its a power issue. cleaning the laser would do nothing in that case

what is the fix for that?
I don't know if the eject button lights up when there is no DVD in the unit either, but your message on the Navi indicates that it knows the door is open or that there is no disc.

If you can borrow a Navi DVD, try loading it to see if there is power.

Otherwise, check the power connector into the unit-- if the car had bodywork or mods, it might have been disconnected and not re-connected.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced

I don't know if the eject button lights up when there is no DVD in the unit either, but your message on the Navi indicates that it knows the door is open or that there is no disc.

If you can borrow a Navi DVD, try loading it to see if there is power.

Otherwise, check the power connector into the unit-- if the car had bodywork or mods, it might have been disconnected and not re-connected.
I will try to load a dvd to see what happens.....

thanks for the advice

I just want to be sure of whats going on before alpine rips me off.....150 I can see, over 300 is a ripoff

its annoying because the navi screen has this message and sometimes I can press audio and see the radio station and info on the 7" screen and sometimes it wont let me and it just reverts back to "check disc or door open"
Old 05-20-2015, 01:36 AM
5th Gear

I have a problem whith my navi

Old 05-20-2015, 01:49 AM
5th Gear

Help me

Originally Posted by Sutitan
Before I begin, let me just say im not responsible for any damage you cause to your car. Make sure you are confident with the procedure before just diving in. There is a little but of supplimentary info that I wrote on this thread: Anyone open up the Navi DVD unit? - AcuraZine Community

Im sure alot of people are aware of the issues that the Navi dvd Drive eventually develops. for anyone who hasn't happen yet, it is just a variation of a disk read error when starting up the navigation. In my case, the problem developed. I started out with disk read errors every now and then, to consistently every time I went in my car. Sometimes the navi would manage to boot, but as of recent, it just refused to. I had disconnected the battery the other day, and when I reconnected it, the navi tryed to download the software off the disk. As you can imagine, it didnt work, so I was stuck with a black screen that said "Please Check Disk" on it at all times. My screen was 100% useless.

So I decided to dig around. Alot of people just ended up sending their units to Alpine which they repaired for 158$. As of this year, their prices jumped up to 358$ which is pretty ridiculous. I honestly did not feel like paying that and I figured it would be worth trying a small repair since I am comfortable repairing small electronics

So lets get to the good stuff.

Tools
Screwdriver
Micro-Screwdrivers
Isopropyl Alchohol
Q-tips
Paper Towel

1. Remove the DVD from the drive (I forgot this the first time around. Felt really stupid at my desk ready to work and then having to start all over).

2. Disconnect the battery (Make sure your trunk is open)

3. Remove the Navi DVD drive. there is about 5 knob type screws and a push fastner stopping you from peeling back the fabric. I also had to remove the hard plastic panel at the rear of the trunk. Just pull up on that and it should come loose. Make sure you know where each knob came from. Several of them are different. Once you peel back the fabric, there are 4 screws that hold down the dvd drive bracket. you'll see them in pictures below. There are 5 clips attached in the back

4. So now you should have the navi drive sitting on your desk, with the bracket attached. there are 2 screws on each side of the bracket. Remove those and the navi will be free.

5. I took a few pictures of each side so you can familiarize yourself with the unit before you tackle this. One thing I noticed was the it was filthy. I took some isoproply alcohol and wiped down the entire unit to clean the dust. the paper towl was filthy after. Also, check out the production date. December 2003! 9 years till fill the lens with dust is actually pretty decent IMO.

6. Next step is to remove the screws holding the top lid. there are six screws, all of the rear of the unit, that need to be removed. 1 black screw, at the top left of the rear, and another 5 golden screws that are located along the top of the backside. its pretty obvious which ones are holding the top lid down. you only need to remove those 6. Nothing more.

7. Now lift the top metal piece upwards from the rear of the unit. you shouldnt need a ton of force. Maybe a bit to break it loose. the thing hasnt moved in 9 years. Once the lid begins to move, start paying attention the the 4 clips holding it on (picture below). this is all thats holding the unit on. It takes a little of moving around to get it free but its possible without removing the faceplate. the 2 center ones are a bit trickier. I used small screw driver to convince it a bit. I saw no signs of cracking or stress in the plastic, but still take caution to not break the plastics clips. After that, simply remove the top.

8. Now is the tricky part. Cleaning the laser. Originally, my plan was to remove the little screw holding in the center spring clamp. it gives you direct access to clean the lens. Unfortunately, none of my screw drivers were the right size, and its difficult to unscrew since that part is sprung (it moves up and down, making it possible to use any force to unscrew it). Anyways, I took a picture of the lens in the first picture below. its that little tiny shiny sparkle coming from right above the center screw from the clamp. At this point, its up to you how you want to clean your lens. Heres what I did. A regular q-tip was far to big to fit in the hole. I stripped alot (most) of the cotton off, and made sure there was no strands hanging out by rolling the tip in between my fingers (kind of how you used to roll your buggers before you flicked them as a kid). then I dipped the qtip in the isoproply alcohol. It still was a pretty tight fit to get it in, but it manages. you then have to angle it towards the lens since the hole is not directly above it. look at my second picture down to see my angle. I shined a light to get the best view I could of the lens. It is really (very) difficult to see from any angle, but you can occassionally see a glimpse. the lens moves up and down so dont worry about damaging by hitting it to hard, but make sure to be gentle with. After my first wipe, I looked at the lens, and actually noticed some crud on it towards the back. about 75% of it was sparkling clean. Went back and made sure to clean it all.

9. You are pretty much done at this point. Slide the top back on. It goes back on much easier then taking it off. Put the 6 screws on in the back. put the 4 screws on holding the unit to the bracket. Go back to your car. Attach all the connectors. Mount the drive back to the car with the 4 screws. hook up your battery, and put in the disk. and give it a shot.

Where my dash would almost instantly read an error, it now immediately went to downloading the software. After it downloads, turn on your car and let it run for several minutes while it acquires satellite location. I took this time to put my trunk back together properly. by the time I was done, the navi was all done and waiting for me to press "ok"

All in all, the job took about 30 minutes on my desk. figuring out how to remove the trunk panel to get access to the drive was actually the most time consuming. the job took a little over an hour. I could honestly probably do it again in under 30 minutes. the job is pretty simple but requires a delicate hand and a patient eye once you actually get to the important step. It was honestly worth my time versus paying 358 to ship out my unit to alpine for them to charge me for some guying cleaning the lens. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Im not on the forums that often, so drop me a PM if im failing to reply to the thread. Also, if the images no longer show up, feel free to bug me and ill rehost them somewhere.

Also, just as an added note. this should work for alot of the cars having this problem but is not always 100% the issue. Sometimes certain power electronics may die. It could be a variety of things. this is just a virtually free solution, that could correct your issue.

Hope this helps someone out.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My drive took a crap so I bought the one from AliExpress out of China. It showed up in about two weeks. Just finished installing it and it is working perfectly. Did my Navi Hack and all is well. Not sure what they are doing over there in China to produce these drives, but they are identical in every visual sense, right down to the Alpine chips.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by JR ANAYA
Is the other side of the DVD intact?

If it's fine, try cleaning the reading lens per OP, first with a cleaning DVD and/or long swab, without removing or disassembling the Navi drive.

If there is a circular scratch on the DVD, the Navi drive will need to be disassembled.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Advanced

nothing comes out of mine and it wont take a disc

when I try to insert the motor in the unit starts but it does not take the disc in
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM
5th Gear

Thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Registered but harmless

nothing comes out of mine and it wont take a disc

when I try to insert the motor in the unit starts but it does not take the disc in
That doesn't sound good.

Have your Navi and radio codes ready to enter for the following steps:

Try pulling the fuse to the Navi for 10 minutes, then insert and start the car to see what happens with the Navi screen.

Either that or disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then start the car and see how the Navi screen responds or if the drive will eject the DVD.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:41 AM
Advanced

That doesn't sound good.

Have your Navi and radio codes ready to enter for the following steps:

Try pulling the fuse to the Navi for 10 minutes, then insert and start the car to see what happens with the Navi screen.

Either that or disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then start the car and see how the Navi screen responds or if the drive will eject the DVD.
thanks, will try this
Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 AM
3rd Gear

My Nav on 05 TL was hardly working anymore and I tried cleaning the lens with the Q-tip. Now it works most of the times but I still see issues once in a while. More often with longer routes (~100 miles or more). Its like it is having trouble with loading larger maps (takes some time to show roads on the map when I move across on the screen with the joy stick). Sometimes it will mess up the calculations and show total distance in thousands and time in hundred of hours.

I am still using the original DVD (05) but I don't see much scratches on it. Do you think the lens is still dirty or it is the disc?

I have seen the reboots 3-4 times since I cleaned the lens.

Thanks!!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

Hello, I am having the same issue with my wife's 2007 Acura RDX Tech. The part no for the DVD is 39540-STK-A010-M1. Does anyone know if they sell the replacement part for this particular model on Ali Express?

Any guidance provided will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear

Second time the navi has acted up in my 2005 Honda Accord V6 w/ Navi. First time the screen was completely black, it would do absolutely nothing and while we had a hard time with the extended warranty it finally got completely replaced as the unit has a January 2007 manufacture date on it.

A few weeks ago, it acted up yet again. I would get the "Honda Navigation System" splash screen for a few seconds, then it would go to a black screen for a few seconds. Checked the disc, a few hairline scratches but none in a circular direction. Tried disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes and upon reconnecting it, it was a black screen with the message "Please check your disc" across the top. I noticed that it did not sound like the disc was spinning at all in the drive. Tried one of those disc cleaners, none of that worked. Decided to get a new DVD drive from aliexpress. That didn't work either. So now I was out $175 for the new DVD drive and I still had to send it to Alpine for repair. Sent the unit to Alpine and $358 bucks later, and a few weeks and now the navi is working again. According to my receipt from Alpine the things replaced on my unit were, replacing of electrical part, replace component, replace main power board, replace printed circuit board, and replace electrical component.

I can't believe there isn't a recall for these navi units as it seems the 03-05 Accords and 04-06 TL's share the same navigation and a substaintal amount of people are having this problem. Now I'm stuck with a brand new DVD drive that is of no use for me.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:31 AM
10th Gear

$358 repair from Alpine is a good deal. Many are saying it is $700 Plus! If I could have my mainboard on the nav DVD drive refurbished for $358 I would do it in a heartbeat.
Thanks for sharing. I replaced my dvd mechanism from ALI Express a few months ago after the display stated "DVD Disc Reading Error" and it worked for a little while. Now, just last month the dreaded "please check disc" error came up and would not go away. this error message is different than the other and indicated to me that the mainboard was faulty. So, unless I replace the mainboard, it is useless to me. So I purchased a used one from another TL froma salvage yard with less than 60,000 miles and the NAV unit is working fine.
I may call up Alpine and see if I can have my "original" NAV unit mainboard refurbished and I am willing to pay $350 if needed, but not $700

As an added note: Before my DVD drive failed with the "please check disc" error message, it would continually reboot over and over... I knew there was a problem brewing. The replacement DVD drive works fine and does not reboot frequently (if at all), so, I am sure this indicates a mainboard issue on the other DVD drive and not a mechansim failure since I had already replaced the mechanism on this drive.

Last edited by Jackas; 07-07-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 AM
3rd Gear

The $358 Alpine charges is a flat fee. No matter if it's a simple ribbon cable that needs replacing or the entire unit. You send it in, state the problem. They will look it over get it functioning correctly, replace whatever parts need replacing and send it back to you. Shipping to them is on you but return ground shipping is included. If you want it back faster I believe it was $15 extra for 2nd day air. If you do send your unit in MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR NAVI DISC. I sent mine without it because I figured they had multiple copies there they could test with. Well they called me after the unit was repaired to send the navi disc in because they wanted to make sure that wasn't the cause of the problems.
The following users liked this post:
Jackas (07-07-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

Helpful, makes sense as same was recommended for my failed Boss Cd player (clean the Lazer with IPA on a Qtip). I can't even get the disk to eject so unit might be totally dead?

Until fixed anyone know how to get the radio working when only thing showing on the display is "check your disk?" No display available to enter the radio code.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors