DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gfxman
Got my unit "dv36m110" from DHGate and swapped it out! Took about 45mins. Works great so far. I took detailed pictures of the process and will post a DIY when I get a chance. Like someone said above, the hardest part is putting the small ribbon back in and pressing the clips inward on the side. Another tricky part was taking the front face off then having to unscrew a small PCB board to access one screw. Everything else was pretty straight forward, just keep track of where all the screws go.

Been working good so far but i've only tested it for about 10mins. Hope it lasts!
great, that's what I needed to know. the dv36m110 is $100 cheaper than the dv36TO2C, so if they're really interchangeable with the older frame, this is definitely the way to go.

not to mention it's only $55 on aliexpress. I think i'll get one and see how it goes.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-q...885011050.html
Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Posted at DIY here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9#post15150189

Originally Posted by gfxman
Got my unit "dv36m110" from DHGate and swapped it out! Took about 45mins. Works great so far. I took detailed pictures of the process and will post a DIY when I get a chance. Like someone said above, the hardest part is putting the small ribbon back in and pressing the clips inward on the side. Another tricky part was taking the front face off then having to unscrew a small PCB board to access one screw. Everything else was pretty straight forward, just keep track of where all the screws go.

Been working good so far but i've only tested it for about 10mins. Hope it lasts!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by drewk2
I took everything apart and cleaned my lens for my 05 TL.

I used the q-tip/alcohol method, but I also squirted some De-Oxit spray on the lens.....not sure if I should have done that.

I put everything back together, and now I get a screen that first says " Please wait. Now downloading software" for a few seconds then a green screen that says "Please check your disc" and it stays on even after starting the car and running for awhile. I have attached pictures.
Anyone else get this?

I removed the disc, and did notice an oily residue all over the disc...probably from the De-Oxit.

I took my drive to clean it as advised by many people on the forums and after putting everything together I ended up with the same screens as yours. What did you do to fix the problem? at this point I am ready to send the drive to the Alpine for the repair.
Also, is it normal that if the navi drive is disconnected, the screen inside is all dead - not even FM/XM display is present? Is the alpine repair still $358?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
I can personally vouch that 07-08 drives WILL work on 04-06. I personally installed an 07 TL-S navigation drive onto an 05 TL. No you will not gain any extra features, but it will work exactly like how the 05 should

In regards to the people who posted about swapping the dvd mechanism, that's very interesting. However it seems like there is a huge lack of info on it. When/if my drive ever becomes that bad I will try to replace the drive myself and post some pics in here, because it seems like the ppl/person who did this alrdy doesnt want to help ppl out.
do you mean you swapped out the entire unit? or do you mean you swapped out the "dvd mechanisms?"

this is the dvd mechanism" for the >07TL:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-q...885011050.html

this is the dvd mechanism for the 04-06TL:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DV36T...522433701.html

so, can you put the DV36M110 into the frame that usually houses the DV36T02C? i'm thinking not...
Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear

My nav went dead in my 2005 TL in extreme heat a month ago. After reading this thread, tried the cleaning method with no success. Checked my updated 2010 disk, no scratches. I bought my replacement unit as suggested through jupuco and installed.

It worked for a day. Then went back to the screen to go to dealer. Remembered that I should disconnect battery, tried that and now the screen starts at "downloading software" and ends at "please check your disk".

Can the dealer do anything for this or is this another send to Alpine for $358 problem? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
10th Gear

I'm just going to send my drive to Alpine, I can't remove the disk from the drive the eject button does not respond. Strange that the Alpine in CA quoted me $358. The customer service in Syracuse quoted me $475
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Great, so theres a confirmed part for the 04 TL. Can anyone confirm a part for the 07-08 drives?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,

Trying to fix the navi drive in my 06 TL and it appears that the model I need to purchase is DV36T02C, not DV36M110. Since the later one is far cheaper has anyone tried to use DV36M110 in place of DV36T02C in 06 TL? Did it work? I appreciate any info on this matter.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
Great, so theres a confirmed part for the 04 TL. Can anyone confirm a part for the 07-08 drives?

Could you please confirm if this is the drive that you use to fix 04 TL navi ? If that is the case, I am assuming that this should also work for 06?

Top quality Alpine DVD mechanism DP33M21A DP33M220 DV33M01B DV36M110 DV35M110 for BMNW Jeep Lexus Mercedes VW car DVD navigation-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mlody
Hi guys,

Trying to fix the navi drive in my 06 TL and it appears that the model I need to purchase is DV36T02C, not DV36M110. Since the later one is far cheaper has anyone tried to use DV36M110 in place of DV36T02C in 06 TL? Did it work? I appreciate any info on this matter.

Thanks
i don't think those can be swapped. you need to get the DV36T02C. it's still half the price of the alpine repair, assuming it works.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by drjoe
i don't think those can be swapped. you need to get the DV36T02C. it's still half the price of the alpine repair, assuming it works.
I just bought a 06 TL for a good price but the navigation is broke so I will try the cleaning method first and hope that fixes things.

But if not I may have to look for internal replacement. I saw the aliexpress store but I am wary that it is sourced from China. Where are they getting these internal mechanisms?

Sure it is cheaper than shipping into Alpine but afraid that it could be DOA.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nist7
I just bought a 06 TL for a good price but the navigation is broke so I will try the cleaning method first and hope that fixes things.

But if not I may have to look for internal replacement. I saw the aliexpress store but I am wary that it is sourced from China. Where are they getting these internal mechanisms?

Sure it is cheaper than shipping into Alpine but afraid that it could be DOA.
hmmm... where do you think your's was made in the first place and where do you think alpine gets them?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

hmmm... where do you think your's was made in the first place and where do you think alpine gets them?
Doh! That is a very very good point. All are made in china most likely anyways!

So finally will have time to start tinkering with the car today.

Will report back with results and hope this works!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Hmm, ok quick problem.

I do have the security code to the radio and the navi in my car, but since the navi screen is dead and if I disconnect the battery and this DIY method does not work to fix the navi, then would I be out of luck because how would I be able to put in the code if the screen is not working to get the radio function back?!

Also if we were to buy the internal DVD mechanism from a place like aliexpress, would the anti theft code that came with the car still work?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 AM
Instructor

Hmm, ok quick problem.

I do have the security code to the radio and the navi in my car, but since the navi screen is dead and if I disconnect the battery and this DIY method does not work to fix the navi, then would I be out of luck because how would I be able to put in the code if the screen is not working to get the radio function back?!

Also if we were to buy the internal DVD mechanism from a place like aliexpress, would the anti theft code that came with the car still work?
you put the security code in using the # buttons on the cd player, not using the nav screen.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Safety Car

Update:

So I did the Q-tip lens cleaning method, I even used a compressed air can to see if I can blow out any dust (I use this for my PC and laptops) but not much came out. I could see the lens head and it did not look particularly dirty and when I cleaned it with the Q-tip it did not look any different before or after so I was worried this may not have been the issue.

What I did notice on my orange navigation disc is that there seems to be a circular scratch/mark about 1/4" from the outer edge all around. And from reading this thread this apparently is a bad sign....ie the internal dvd drive may need to be replaced and possibly new navigation disc as well.

So I put it back in the car and unfortunately, it will say downloading navigation but then a few seconds later it goes back to the black/ 'please check your disc' screen.

Looks like some were able to fix with just this DIY method. A few sent it into Alpine for the refurb/repair. A few actually got the internal mechanism from China and mostly they are working so far it seems (1 poster mentioned his broke 1 day later).

So looks like I may need to order this: DV36T02C/DV36T02A/DV36T02B/DV36T020 Alpine DVD Navigation-in Vehicle GPS from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and replace the internal mechanism to see if this fixes things.

But since my disc has the circular mark/scratch I'm not sure if the DVD disc is any good anymore. So where would one buy a new navi disc?
Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACURA-NAVIGATION-CD-DVD-DISC-3-40C-NAVAGATION-DISK-OEM-MAP-DISK-GPS-/271576577043?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3AAcura%7CModel%3ATL&hash=item3f3b39b413&vxp=mtr
Or would a 07-08 navi disc work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-ACURA-TL-RDX-NAVIGATION-DISC-DVD-CD-4-56A-DISK-2006-2007-2008-TSX-MAP-/181533572923?hash=item2a443e7f3b&vxp=mtr
Or maybe I can just use my old disc and see if that would work with the new drive mechanism but then don't want to take any chances....but then again this is another $100....

Thanks for all the advice in advance.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 AM
Safety Car

you put the security code in using the # buttons on the cd player, not using the nav screen.
Yes I realized that now. Thanks! I read a few posters saying their radios have stopped working....I think they may have forgotten about the anti theft feature.

I also have a 06 TL as well. So we're in the same boat it seems.

I'm also wondering if the cheaper DV36M110 disc mechanism will fit in the DV36T02C casing. It doesn't seem like it would but maybe someone with some extra dough can do an experiment.

Otherwise I'll try the aliexpress disc mechanism and hope it works.

Also I wonder if anyone has just tried to replace the laser/lens reader? like this: Brand Alpine DVD laser DV36T02C DV36T020 optical pick up for HondAcur car navigation GPS audio sat nav BB712PC BB714PH BB792PA-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I got the replacement drive from AliExpress. It is awaiting the shipment. I will update everyone once I receive it and install it.

On the same note, is it normal when the DVD drive is out that nothing is being displayed on the Navi screen - no radio, etc. Also the display above the Navi is not showing things like channel, volume etc. I also noticed that my seat memory cant be reset. Are all those things connected to this stupid DVD drive or am I dealing with some other electronic gremlins in my car? I am really hoping that at this point it is all connected to the fact that the dvd drive is disconnected and all those things will come to live when I get it put together.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mlody
On the same note, is it normal when the DVD drive is out that nothing is being displayed on the Navi screen - no radio, etc. Also the display above the Navi is not showing things like channel, volume etc. I also noticed that my seat memory cant be reset. Are all those things connected to this stupid DVD drive or am I dealing with some other electronic gremlins in my car? I am really hoping that at this point it is all connected to the fact that the dvd drive is disconnected and all those things will come to live when I get it put together.
Hmm that's strange. As a computer enthusiast I can't see why the navi dvd drive should be connected to the computer that controls the seat and radio (possibly.)

But I haven't driven my car since I took out and put back in my dvd drive. I'm gonna get the disc out of the drive and just leave it empty until I get the replacement from aliexpress.

Hey let us know how the aliexpress disc mechanism works for ya. Would you mind posting the link so if it does work I may try my hand on it as well?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmm that's strange. As a computer enthusiast I can't see why the navi dvd drive should be connected to the computer that controls the seat and radio (possibly.)

But I haven't driven my car since I took out and put back in my dvd drive. I'm gonna get the disc out of the drive and just leave it empty until I get the replacement from aliexpress.

Hey let us know how the aliexpress disc mechanism works for ya. Would you mind posting the link so if it does work I may try my hand on it as well?

Sure, I will. the product actually got shipped out today, so not sure when to really expect it - 2-3 weeks?

this is the one I ordered
DV36T02C/DV36T02A/DV36T02B/DV36T020 Alpine DVD Navigation-in Vehicle GPS from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

2008 Honda Accord

Greetings,

I wanted to share my story, in case anyone finds it useful...

First off, I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L with 150,000 miles.

Earlier this summer, my Nav would start up normal in the mornings, but about 30 minutes into my commute, it would crash and say something close to DVD Read Error: Contact you Dealer. In the afternoons, car sitting in sun all day in work parking lot, the nav would instantly display this message upon car startup. It also did funky things like show a white screen, reboot itself, everyday was different honestly.

I yanked the system out and cleaned the lense, but that didn't do anything different. Then, I thought about replacing the fan, but had a really tough time finding a fan with the same connector (actual fan easy to find, but the extra small 2pin connector not so much). Then I found this forum and thought I'd give the drive replacement a try. I verified that my Honda used the same drive as others listed on this forum.

I ordered this from AliExpress on Sept 14th
Top quality Alpine DVD mechanism DP33M21A DP33M220 DV33M01B DV36M110 DV35M110 for BMNW Jeep Lexus Mercedes VW car DVD navigation-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group it arrived at my house near Baltimore, MD on Sept 26th to be exact.

Tonight, I finally took it apart again and followed the instructions from here: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m.../#post15150189

I drove it about 5 miles so far and no issues. I'll give an update in about a week. Happy to answer any questions... Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. My total cost was about $55 + $10 for a screw driver kit small enough for this.

The hardest part for me was removing the tray around the drive because my screwdriver wasn't long enough and the screws are tucked in small areas. The ribbon was gentle maneuver as well but I survived.

Best Regards!
-Mike
Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Safety Car

^^^Thanks for the contribution.

SO far looks like the Aliexpress internals are working for most people. And looks like intense heat may be the culprit as numerous others have mentioned heat causing navi system to act up.

Looks like I'll bite the bullet and get an internal disc mechanism myself. Will keep this thread updated.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Safety Car

Quick update after looking around on disc/dvd mechanism workings.

My orange navi disc had a continuous circular scratch about 1/4" from the outer edge. This immediately gave me suspicion for a disc mechanism caused scratch. So found the following:

This is not my disc but looks similar to what I have on my navi disc:

Large Circular Scratches Caused by the Equipment

The image shows scratches that are a little bit different than poor handling type scratches. These scratches, often in the form of concentric circles, occur inside the CD or DVD player or drive. There are several possibilities as to why these scratches can occur.

First of all the lens in the drive is very close to the disc surface when a disc is spinning and being played or read. The lens does move up and down slightly. If there is two much vibration or the equipment is jarred while the disc is being played then the lens may contact the disc and scratch it. If the disc is slightly warped, this may also lead to lens and disc surface contacting each other.

Another possibility is that equipment does get dirty. Debris on the lens can lead to contact with the spinning CD or DVD and the formation of the scratches in a circular pattern as illustrated in the image.

Finally, other debris on the tray of the drive or player may be large enough to scratch the disc while it is spinning.

Therefore, if these scratches appear on your optical disc, it could be that the drive is contaminated with debris, there is debris on the lens of player or drive and a lens cleaning disc is required, the disc is warped to some degree, or the drive is malfunctioning and allowing the lens or other parts in the drive to contact the disc.
SOURCE: Circular Scratches on CD, DVD, and Other Optical Disc Media

When I took out the drive for the Q-tip cleaning method I did not see any debris/dirt on the Q-tip or by peeking at the actual lens itself.

And so the other clear culprit may be that since these drives are in a friggin CAR, which is in motion and may experience bumps and vibration, it likely either damaged the disc during a drive and only the disc is affected, in which case would be a cheap fix I just need to order a new orange navi disc for 100 bucks.

OR, the bumps/vibrations of the car has caused the internal disc mechanism to go out of alignment somehow and it is causing the disc to be in contact with the lens causing scratching and obviously error in reading.

So at this point I will hold off on buying the internal mechanism and will get a new orange navi disc, take plenty of high res photos. Then put that into the dvd drive and see if it loads (if not, then I will get new internals) and if so I will let it load up the navi and drive for a few days, then take out the disc and closely inspect for any faint/developing scratch marks. If there are then I will replace the internals, if not I will need to periodically monitor for developing scratch marks.

Anyway, will keep this thread updated. Just thought this is something to contribute to the broken navi system knowledge-base here.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Instructor

arrghh. I placed an aliexpress order that shipped back on 9/10/14. but it still hasn't arrived and I just learned that it was sent back to china by the shipper. not sure why yet...
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
I know it's an old post but still validate.
Having disk read error,out of the blue one day. On my '05 TL .Pulled the unit out of the car and it quite clean inside the player.
But I used a q tip and cleaned the lens, no luck. Took it out again wondering why I was dicking around with Qtips. Got the plastic friendly contact cleaner out, put the unit on its side(so any liquid would fall away from working mechanisms that might be greased. Gave her a couple of shots until the lens was sparkling. Re-installed, but no love. Noted that plastic mounting holders on the car where stripped ( I did not strip them)
Pulled her out again, removed the cover and hooked it back up to see what was happening with the unit. Unit would pull the disk in, spin up for a couple seconds and then stop. Please check disk was now being displayed on the display.
Took her out again and cleaned all connector pins using contact cleaner (plastic friendly cleaner is a MUST). Decided to take place plate off as it seemed strange that the disc would spin up and then stop. i expected that after I lifted the front lock on the Bezel that the disk should spin up again, but it didn't.
When I took off the front Bezel I noted a micro switch that is engaged when the units door was locked. I could see that the plastic mechanism that activates the micro switch was slightly bent and I could see the Switch wasn't being fully engaged, very close but not quite. It should have been enough to activate the switch.
In any case I applied slight pressure to the plastic engaging mechanism on the bezel to get it straight again which resulted in the switch being fully engaged.
Put it back in the car without lid. Disc spun up and stopped as before, with same error on dash. Lifted the closing mechanism on the bezel and the disk spun up and stayed running. Everything loaded up fine and my Navi is working again.
In the end analysis I believe the micro switch was not being engaged leaving the unit to believe the door was open, thus not loading the data from the disk.
Thanks to the op for this post.
P.S. For those trying to use a thin ruler, don't as there is a plate inside the drive that only lifts when loading a disk and there is no space for even a very thin metal ruler when closed. This plate could be bent when shoving something inside the disk slot, it may or may not affect the unit if this plate is bent but why take a chance.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-04-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmark
I know it's an old post but still validate.
Having disk read error,out of the blue one day. On my '05 TL .Pulled the unit out of the car and it quite clean inside the player.
But I used a q tip and cleaned the lens, no luck. Took it out again wondering why I was dicking around with Qtips. Got the plastic friendly contact cleaner out, put the unit on its side(so any liquid would fall away from working mechanisms that might be greased. Gave her a couple of shots until the lens was sparkling. Re-installed, but no love. Noted that plastic mounting holders on the car where stripped ( I did not strip them)
Pulled her out again, removed the cover and hooked it back up to see what was happening with the unit. Unit would pull the disk in, spin up for a couple seconds and then stop. Please check disk was now being displayed on the display.
Took her out again and cleaned all connector pins using contact cleaner (plastic friendly cleaner is a MUST). Decided to take place plate off as it seemed strange that the disc would spin up and then stop. i expected that after I lifted the front lock on the Bezel that the disk should spin up again, but it didn't.
When I took off the front Bezel I noted a micro switch that is engaged when the units door was locked. I could see that the plastic mechanism that activates the micro switch was slightly bent and I could see the Switch wasn't being fully engaged, very close but not quite. It should have been enough to activate the switch.
In any case I applied slight pressure to the plastic engaging mechanism on the bezel to get it straight again which resulted in the switch being fully engaged.
Put it back in the car without lid. Disc spun up and stopped as before, with same error on dash. Lifted the closing mechanism on the bezel and the disk spun up and stayed running. Everything loaded up fine and my Navi is working again.
In the end analysis I believe the micro switch was not being engaged leaving the unit to believe the door was open, thus not loading the data from the disk.
Thanks to the op for this post.
P.S. For those trying to use a thin ruler, don't as there is a plate inside the drive that only lifts when loading a disk and there is no space for even a very thin metal ruler when closed. This plate could be bent when shoving something inside the disk slot, it may or may not affect the unit if this plate is bent but why take a chance.
Hey could you post a photo of this "micro switch?"

And what do you mean the the front bezel is that the little "door" that slides up?

I'm quite confused by what this is so if you can take photos or describe more in detail exactly where is this micro switch mechanism located. Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 08:01 AM
9th Gear

I have a disc read error have to try this. Might not be a bad rom. Very informative. But still want newer technology like Bluetooth streaming and up to date maps as well as newer iPhone capability
Old 10-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Hey could you post a photo of this "micro switch?"

And what do you mean the the front bezel is that the little "door" that slides up?

I'm quite confused by what this is so if you can take photos or describe more in detail exactly where is this micro switch mechanism located. Thanks
Sorry I'm so used to doing this stuff ( computer tech) I didn't even take any pictures, and the unit has been reinstalled

If you take the front Benzel off, the front plastic piece, that in this case contains the door you lift up to lock the unit. You will see a small cable with connectors on either end. Carefully remove the connector by prying it upwards with a small flat screw driver. Note the connector is a rectangle, on the long edges of the connector are small flanges, this is where your able to apply pressure to remove the connector upwards. Lift one side then the other until it loosens and comes out of the socket. The connector on the bezel contains the micro switch.

To take off the front Benzel just remove the screws on both sides of the black plastic piece ( front bezel). Then using a small flat screw driver very gently lift and push away from unit all those little black tabs that are now holding the bezel to the drive case. This isn't easy to do without breaking the little black plastic tabs ( the black part is the breakable tab and the white piece below it that the tab locks onto is part of the case). You must lift up the tab gently and push it away from the case while unlocking it from the white drive piece and while it's just BARELY unlocked keep some pressure on it (so it doesn't fall back down and lock again) while BARELY unlocking the next tab. There where either 4 or 6 tabs that need to be unlocked and then the bezel will just slide forward ( remember there is a small cable attached so don't pull too far ).
The op didn't want to remove the Bezel, and my guess is because those darn black tabs break very easily! It's because a person try's to lift the tab too high and the black plastic piece breaks. You really have to finesse those tabs off. You just barely lift it over the white locking piece while pushing the whole bezel away from the unit. You must keep this pressure on while unlocking the next tab. Once you get a couple tabs off, the next ones are a little easier. I really didn't want to remove the bezel either because I've broken my fair share of those dang tabs as they really are a pain in the ass. Be PATIENT with them, lift them only far enough that it comes above the white mating piece, keep pressure on so is doesn't slide back and move on to the next one. If you break more than one or two of those tabs you usually won't get the Bezel to stay in place properly. Having said that the two screws on the sides of the Bezel is a god send, so even if you break a tab or two the Bezel SHOULD still stay in place well enough for the unit to work. Please be patient and do not lift the black tabs any further than just over the white mating piece. I know I keep repeating this, it's so people don't break those tabs like I have so many times before. These tabs where relatively easy to remove mainly because you have easy access to them. Putting the Bezel back on is easy, just slide the whole bezel towards the unit and tabs will all slide over the mating surface and lock, now put the two scews back in.
Now that you have the front Bezel in hand with the wire connector removed, open and close the locking mechasim by lifting and lowering it. You will see that a white nylon lever (left side) moves up and down opertating the micro switch.
In my case the nylon lever was bent ever so slightly. When the door was closed the micro switch still had some play in it. I.e. I could still move it upwards a bit.
So I took my needle nose pliers and applied pressure to the white nylon tab ( several times) in order to straighten it out.

In my original post I mentioned that I was having no luck with cleaning the lens, so I left the cover off the unit, laid it in the truck and hooked it up to trouble shoot the further. When I saw that the disk was being sucked in and the disk spun I confirmed the transport mechanism was working. However when I closed the units door I expected the disk to spin up again so the unit could read the disk. When it didn't spin up after closing the door I figured there might be a switch in the door that told the unit that the door was closed and it was ok to begin reading the disk. So when I put the unit back into the car ( with the cover off) and saw the disk spin up when the door was closed I figured the switch was indeed the problem.
In closing I don't really think the problem was with the actual lever being slightly bent. I think there was some debris/corrosion in the switch and taking off the bezel and excersising the switch dislodged the debris. My next move would have been to use plastic safe contact cleaner and spray it inside the switch while excersisng it.
Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Safety Car

^^^Thanks alot! I figured out that part. So here's a photo of how to remove the bezel process.

Here you can see the outer covering is pushed closed. This actually serves an important function as we will see later. It operates a spring-linked mechanism to push a switch that tells the internal disc mechanism that the disc/DVD is secured and ready to be read/loaded.
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-qray72d.jpg

Remove the small screw that's holding the bezel. It's already removed in this pic but you can see the hole. Also you see two black tabs. The top one was already half broken when I got this out and you can see the bottom one intact. YOu have to be VERY gentle. Take a thin small flat head and GENTLY lift up on the black tab away from the dvd case body while at the same time pull outwards very gently on the entire bezel face.
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-5xfik0t.jpg

Do the same thing on the other side. As you can see I already removed the screw here and someone/how already broke the bottom plastic tab.
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-cqtlgje.jpg

You can see two tabs on the outer edge and the two middle tabs. In my original opening of the drive to try to clean the lens head I basically broke the middle two because I spent 1 hour trying to pry those two middle tabs and no matter what i tried they would not budge (almost as if they were fused to the metal cage)
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-l6wwd5p.jpg

There is also two tabs on the bottom, I forgot to take pics but same thing as others. Use small flathead to pull up gently and then use other hand to pull on the entire bezel face.

It should come apart now but do not pull too far/hard because there is a connector seen here:
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-vhnnz7o.jpg

I took a pic with the connector disconnected so much easier to visualize here. Just be gentle and pull up on the connector to completely separate the bezel face from the main body.
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-qg4slmv.jpg
You can see the board is a L shape and that on the left "pillar" there is a small tall rectangle cutout. This contains the micro switch that Jmark was talking about. When you push the outer cover closed it will push up on a small plastic piece that pushes up a very small switch.

To demonstrate, here is the bezel covering in the OPEN position from the front:
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-13xryx1.jpg

This is what it looks like from the back. Look at the left side, you can see the plastic arm in the down position. And you can see a small black part protruding down. You'll see how this works in the next pic.
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-y6i0oo6.jpg

Close up of the micro-switch mechanism:
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-l5vhoft.jpg

Okay so now with the bezel covering CLOSED position:
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-0vtef62.jpg

This is what it looks like behind:
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-ckykyav.jpg
You see immediately that the plastic arm is pushed up and pushing that small black piece upwards.

Close up
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-dwnuxqs.jpg

And as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any wiggle-room or bent out pieces. Looks like the black piece is pushed up all the way properly.

But to take his advice I will go and get a electronics cleaner from microcenter tomorrow morning and spray down that little switch. Also gonna use my compressed air to spray out any more dust in the disc mechanism.

Circular scratch on my navi dvd:
DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-bbi19hy.jpg

This may be a bad sign. I laid the dvd over the disc mechanism and my guesstimation looks like it is where the blue lens/laser head is. So may be something out of alignment causing contact of the lens/laser against the disc. I will call local acura dealer and see about getting a new disc and see if that solves the problem. Even if it does I will need to carefully monitor for any developing circular scratches.

Will update later in the morning about progress. Hopefully my local acura dealers will have the orange navi disc in stock.

Last edited by nist7; 10-04-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Very nice build with pics!
The pic you show of your disk shows the laser was touching the disk. Most likely as a result of a rough ride when the disk was spinning causing the head to contact the disk. Poor design as the head should be locked when the head is parked, as they know the vehicle is going to hit a lot of bumps. You can tell the unit has been jarred hard a few times as that's what likely broke the clips on the face plate as well.
My unit didn't have those problems but, the bracket screws that hold the drive to the car had stripped out the plastic holders that snap into the cars body! So I had to replace them.
Your device maybe out of alignment, however that didn't cause the scratching. If the new disk doesn't work right away, don't leave it in the car! Buy a new transport mechanism as posted previously and replace that part as it sounds like the electronics in the device are working.
When the unit is installed in the car does your navi screen still work as an Audio display and does the display above the main one show the radio station, etc.?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmark
Very nice build with pics!
The pic you show of your disk shows the laser was touching the disk. Most likely as a result of a rough ride when the disk was spinning causing the head to contact the disk. Poor design as the head should be locked when the head is parked, as they know the vehicle is going to hit a lot of bumps. You can tell the unit has been jarred hard a few times as that's what likely broke the clips on the face plate as well.
My unit didn't have those problems but, the bracket screws that hold the drive to the car had stripped out the plastic holders that snap into the cars body! So I had to replace them.
Your device maybe out of alignment, however that didn't cause the scratching. If the new disk doesn't work right away, don't leave it in the car! Buy a new transport mechanism as posted previously and replace that part as it sounds like the electronics in the device are working.
When the unit is installed in the car does your navi screen still work as an Audio display and does the display above the main one show the radio station, etc.?
Unfortunately no dealer carries the new navi disc in stock, they say that its the same price customers pay so they just tell customers to order it from the acura navi site.

I still have to go to microcenter to get the electronics cleaner. Any other part that you recommend I spray down besides the switch behind the bezel door?

Also I actually made a virtual image of the orange disc and see if it'll work if I burn it to a blank DVD-R that I have using my computer.

Actually found this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...v-disc-593785/

So I did make a backup image of my current orange disc, all I need is to figure out how to burn that image into a blank DVD to make a functional copy of the navi disc!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:36 AM
2nd Gear

Nav drive mechanism question

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I have a 2004 TSX and am getting the "please check disk" error. I've tried to clean the lens by removing the center screw and believe I've cleaned the lens pretty throughly with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs.
I'm looking to replace the loading mechanism. It shows Dv36t02c stamped on it. I've looked on Ali and other sites and it goes for approx $160. On to the question...Does anyone know if the less expensive dv36m110 is compatible? Does anyone know of someone that has had success with interchanging those? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

P.s. I've owned Acura cars for close to 20 years and was pretty angry with the way the dealer was so cavalier about this problem. It is obviously quite ubiquitous and they should have/do something about it.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Instructor

I wondered the same thing. But if you look at the pictures of these products, I'm pretty sure they aren't compatible. The units don't really look the same at all. I got the more expensive one... still a lot cheaper than sending it to Alpine.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

I have to agree about the picture comparison. I'm very reluctant to spend $160, from Ali, on a mech that won't work and be out $160. I may just opt to send it to Alpine and have them fix the damn thing even though it is highway robbery and should be done out of good faith by SOMONE (Acura or Alpine). Drjoe...did you have success? If you did and don't mind me asking, what kind of car do you have? What is your drive model (I have 39540-sec-a010-m1) and mech loader (mine is Dv36t02c). Thanks. It is starting to get colder and am going to need to fix this soon so I can operate the friggin fan for some heat. Haha. Sad
Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sldiri27
I have to agree about the picture comparison. I'm very reluctant to spend $160, from Ali, on a mech that won't work and be out $160. I may just opt to send it to Alpine and have them fix the damn thing even though it is highway robbery and should be done out of good faith by SOMONE (Acura or Alpine). Drjoe...did you have success? If you did and don't mind me asking, what kind of car do you have? What is your drive model (I have 39540-sec-a010-m1) and mech loader (mine is Dv36t02c). Thanks. It is starting to get colder and am going to need to fix this soon so I can operate the friggin fan for some heat. Haha. Sad
I have the same problem with a totally non-working navi screen.

But the heat and AC still works. You just have to push those buttons and you can select the temp/mode that shows up on the small display with the clock/radio frequency.

I'm not aware of non-usable AC/Heat due to a broken navi-screen. That would be a catastrophic engineering/design failure

Update for those (few) who may still be following this thread. I called my local acura dealers and they said no dealer carries the orange navi disc in stock because Acura sells them to the dealer for the exact same price as they sell them to the general public. So they just pointed me to the acura website.

So at this point because of upcoming expenses that are MORE important (the notorious 3rd/4th gear pressure switch replacement, ATF upgrade, oil change, ATF filter change, etc.) I will NOT be fixing this navigation unit at this time.

Reason is: I can still use AC and heat, radio still works, clock can still be set to the right time by going out at midnight to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

And biggest reason for holding off on my fix: I was driving my car and some of the local roads here are VERY bumpy. And I can just imagine the DVD unit in the car getting completely obliterated and scratched up by this. SO it WILL be a matter of time before the replacement/fixed navi unit fails again due to the simple fact that spinning optical media units does NOT like bumpy/motions.

Also due to the way the orange navi disc is replicated from the OEM plant, it uses a PTP format to cut the data onto the disc...which at this time is IMPOSSIBLE to replicate using publically available DVD-R DL media and publically available DVD burners using our home computers.

So EVEN IF I get a replacement mechanism, buy a new orange disc, the disc may get scratched up again due to the unit being in a bumpy/motion car and so I will need to pay more money to get another OEM disc because the orange disc CANNOT be copied by a regular consumer using home PC supplies at this time.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sldiri27
unfortunately, my delivery from aliexpress was delayed in transit, held up at my local post office without any notice that delivery had been attempted. not the fault of the shipper and my bad for not tracking the package more closely. it finally delivered at home yesterday, but now I'm out of town and won't get a chance to install it for a while. but I have a 2006 TL with the DV36T02C.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

unfortunately, my delivery from aliexpress was delayed in transit, held up at my local post office without any notice that delivery had been attempted. not the fault of the shipper and my bad for not tracking the package more closely. it finally delivered at home yesterday, but now I'm out of town and won't get a chance to install it for a while. but I have a 2006 TL with the DV36T02C.

I ordered mine on 9/21 and I am still waiting on the replacement mechanism. Does anyone know what is a typical shipping time frame from Ali?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

I have the same problem with a totally non-working navi screen.

But the heat and AC still works. You just have to push those buttons and you can select the temp/mode that shows up on the small display with the clock/radio frequency.

I'm not aware of non-usable AC/Heat due to a broken navi-screen. That would be a catastrophic engineering/design failure

Update for those (few) who may still be following this thread. I called my local acura dealers and they said no dealer carries the orange navi disc in stock because Acura sells them to the dealer for the exact same price as they sell them to the general public. So they just pointed me to the acura website.

So at this point because of upcoming expenses that are MORE important (the notorious 3rd/4th gear pressure switch replacement, ATF upgrade, oil change, ATF filter change, etc.) I will NOT be fixing this navigation unit at this time.

Reason is: I can still use AC and heat, radio still works, clock can still be set to the right time by going out at midnight to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

And biggest reason for holding off on my fix: I was driving my car and some of the local roads here are VERY bumpy. And I can just imagine the DVD unit in the car getting completely obliterated and scratched up by this. SO it WILL be a matter of time before the replacement/fixed navi unit fails again due to the simple fact that spinning optical media units does NOT like bumpy/motions.

Also due to the way the orange navi disc is replicated from the OEM plant, it uses a PTP format to cut the data onto the disc...which at this time is IMPOSSIBLE to replicate using publically available DVD-R DL media and publically available DVD burners using our home computers.

So EVEN IF I get a replacement mechanism, buy a new orange disc, the disc may get scratched up again due to the unit being in a bumpy/motion car and so I will need to pay more money to get another OEM disc because the orange disc CANNOT be copied by a regular consumer using home PC supplies at this time.
I've seen several of your posts. Like you said, you should hold off on getting a replacement mech and yourself a new disc.

You've cleaned the lens and the unit is confirmed to try to the read the disc, but it gives an error. It is either the unit or the disc. The former is more expensive and time consuming for you to fix versus the latter and getting a new disc.

Get yourself a disc (buy, ask a friend who has a TL, or burn one) and try that. I haven't tried burning one with the navi hack, yet because I think it would be time consuming.

Good luck and report back
Old 10-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
See post #197 for my experience with getting a replacement from AliExpress.

Perfect so far.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately no dealer carries the new navi disc in stock, they say that its the same price customers pay so they just tell customers to order it from the acura navi site.
Did you look for a Navi disc on the worlds most popular internet auction site?

Quick Reply: DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors