Bluetooth audio A2DP through Acura Music Link - SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bluetooth audio A2DP through Acura Music Link - SOLVED!

Hi team,

Here is my contribution to the community.

This is a quick solution (spent couple of days max) for playing music through Bluetooth through the Acura Music Link iPod interface.

My goal was to have something working before I hit the road on Thanksgiving (today in fact).

First thing I did I took the car console apart and discovered that Acura Music Link adapter without any line-in or RCA inputs. Bummer.

Next thing I did I purchased a 30-pin iPod dock-compatible bluetooth adapter on Amazon. It did not work either. CDC mode just kept flashing "Disk 01" and that was it.

So I researched a bit and discovered Acura Music Link talks Apple Accessory Protocol. So I adjusted my plans:
- I wanted to emulate Apple's accessory (an iPod);
- and tell Acura 'I am playing my single 72-hours long song from a single playlist';
- and then actually play music through Bluetooth.

So in the end I faked an iPod by programming Arduino controller, hooked up my existing Bluetooth (5VDC power supply; 3.5mm line out) to play music from the phone.

The is a temp solution for Thanksgiving. As a final solution, I want to:
- package it without loose wires through 30-pin breakout board;
- create a dedicated PCB and burn atmel chip with an iPod emulation code instead of using full Arduino board;
- and possibly use A2DP bluetooth shield for Arduino instead of external BT adapter;
- figure out power consumption and possible switch to idle mode when car's key is out.

But at the moment, I just excited to feel the force (well, the Arduino) and glad you can solve problems almost from scratch with it.

Also see the video at the end.

Everything's loose

Acura music unit thinks it's talking to an iPod

Cable goes to the audio unit.

Neatly taped

In the gloves compartment.

Video: