How to Renew Your XM Radio for $77 a year.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Just renewed my XM for $77 for the year and the NavTraffic for $3.99/month. No problem at all and no dollar questions asked. Mike- the "XM Nation" guy only asked for my radio ID.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's odd. Are you saying they offered you the $77 without you even asking? When I went to signup they quoted me something like $140 for 12 months. It wasn't until that point that I said, Hey-what about the $77 deal.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Worked for Me

My 1 year free trial subscription was not due to end until Aug 30th 07.

I called XM at the number in this thread, mentioned a 'friend' just renewed at a $77 promotional rate & $3.99 / month Nav Traffic and asked if I could renew early and get the same promotion.

Matt of XM Nation simply said 'I can do that for you.' He took my AMEX # and stated it would become effective at the end of the trial, maintaining XM & Nav traffic through Aug 30 08.

Now which of you would like to me be 'friend'? No pushing, no shoving ....
Old 06-02-2007, 09:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My XM service ended yesterday, and I called today. Besides asking for the promotional code, the service representative also asked if I had received the flier by email or through the mail. Wasn't ready for that question, but just answered through the mail. Went through without a problem! He also offered a three year package after the one year promotion for 350 dollars or so, but figured that was way overpriced. Just stick to the script and enjoy the lack of terrestrial radio!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If that $350 included Nav, it's a good deal

Originally Posted by bender13
My XM service ended yesterday, and I called today. Besides asking for the promotional code, the service representative also asked if I had received the flier by email or through the mail. Wasn't ready for that question, but just answered through the mail. Went through without a problem! He also offered a three year package after the one year promotion for 350 dollars or so, but figured that was way overpriced. Just stick to the script and enjoy the lack of terrestrial radio!
When I contacted XM (before dropping them entirely- home and cars), they offered me a three year deal that included Nav. If I remember right it saves you about $25 over the $77 per year and the $4 per month of Nav. I have no use for the Nav except on vacation so I declined.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
My XM has expired for about a week so I decided to call today. Called the number on the 1st post and told the rep that my subscription has expired and I would like to renew at the promotional $77 rate. The rep said no problem right away and would be happy to do that for me. After a couple minutes of updating my account and verifying everything, I renewed for $77. Thanks all.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, here's a question/twist on this deal.

I just bought my car (used)...... how would you suggest I go about using the promo and getting the $77 deal? I'm not renewing as it's not active and it wasn't in my name. And where do I find the radio code? I do have a little piece of paper in my manual that has some codes on it but I wouldn't know which one to use.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewmr

I just bought my car (used)...... how would you suggest I go about using the promo and getting the $77 deal? I'm not renewing as it's not active and it wasn't in my name. And where do I find the radio code? I do have a little piece of paper in my manual that has some codes on it but I wouldn't know which one to use.
Just call the number and use the SCRIPT. You can adapt it slightly: "My XM service expired on this car and I want to take advantage of the $77 per year offer that I received in the mail...."

Your radio code can be seen on Channel 0 on the XM radio dial.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Go Big Blue!

That's a completely different scenerio. I don't think you can use the $77 "script" everyone talks about. I'd suggest you just wing it and see what you can do knowing that they seem to be willing to be flexible on pricing for new customers.

Those codes you have in your glove compartment are probably the security activation codes for the radio and nav system. That's not what you need in this instance. The radio code is easily obtained by simply tuning to channel zero. It will display the code on the screen
Old 06-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

My XM ends its one year free trial at the end of June. I got a call from XM the other day and the person asked me to extend XM subscription one more year at $140 something (not including Nav Traffic). I told her that one of my friend got a deal at $77 year and asked same deal. Done! No more questions or code. I just need to make one more call to XM to add Nav Traffic later.
Thanx!!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced

I just renewed our tl-s (already did the rl back in march)
Still works like a charm Just have your radio id# ready & ask for the promo $77.00 year
Also renewed the nav traffic @ the regular $3.99 per month ($47.88)
Thanks again
Old 06-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Stills works. I told them I heard all these RL owners have been getting this $77 deal without the letter or offer sent to them, and figured they could give it to me too. <JUST KIDDING>

Also, they offered $5.99 for the Delphi RoadyXT and $6.99/mo for subscription(as 2nd radio rate). Got them to waive the $12.99 shipping and took it.

In the end, XM will prevail.... $77 for them as a deal for one yr is no big deal, they want you to be 'hooked' for the long term. Some people may drop it if the $77 is gone next year, but after using it for another year, I think it will be a tougher decision. ...It will be like giving up my high speed internet connection and going back to 56K...

It will be interesting to see how competition in this radio market causes XM to adjust their pricing in the future- will it go up like text messaging, or down like long distance?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Go Big Blue!

I got one of those Roady's also when I signed up. Now that we have satellite radio in the RL, my wife is hooked. Been naging me for one in her car. Figured this was a good compromise.

I know you can get these radio's for basically FREE through retail channels using the XM mail in rebate, but the $5.99 seemed insignificant so I just ordered it through them directly.

Didn't think of asking for them to waive the shipping. Good for you.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
White and Nerdy

Renewed today per the above. Thanks!

Also found out that anyone with XM subscription can listen to XM via the internet at no additional charge. Its nice to be able to listen while online, etc.

BTW, is it just me, or does XM sound better lately? It sounds less "compressed" to me.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Renewed today per the above. Thanks!

Also found out that anyone with XM subscription can listen to XM via the internet at no additional charge. Its nice to be able to listen while online, etc.

BTW, is it just me, or does XM sound better lately? It sounds less "compressed" to me.
I agree Godwhacker, it does sound better to me. The primary reason I notice better clarity is that I can crank the volume more like I can with a DVD-A. The clarity allows for higher volume and no distortion.

I also notice some stations have better clarity. XM 71 Watercolors Jazz is one I notice to be best.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewmr

Ok, I finally got around to trying this......

When I gave her my radio code she said the name on their records did not match my name and then the phone went dead....... I called back hoping to get another person but no luck, she said sorry, somehow we were disconnected. She updated the account with the new info and I was done in about 10 minutes.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

Worked like a charm, plus I got a 2nd Delphi unit for $5.99 for my wife's car. I asked the rep to waive the shipping and activation fee and she did it no problem.

Very happy and thanks to all in this thread.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Just renewed at $77 + $3.99 NAV traffic. I didn't have to let the service expire and wait for the deal (like I did with my Odyssey). Just called up and asked for it (even though I got the renewal letter with the higher pricing).
Old 07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

I received an email after my expiration indicating that I could get XM Radio for $4.99 a month, but it looked like it was limited to 3 months. I called and got clarification that the email deal was in fact only for 3 months, after which it goes back up to the normal rate.

So I asked for the $77 deal, which was cheaper. The sales person I talked to gave it to me without a problem. I also got the NavTraffic add on for $3.99 per month. Total cost was $124.88, which is a savings of $65.45 over the original renewal quote.

Best,
--
Allen Cronce
Old 07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just renewed my subscription yesterday. Worked like a charm! Also added 3.99 navtraffic as well.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Instructor

dialed the designated number, followed the script to the T.. didn't work for me unfortunately.. the rep asked me about the promo code (which i gave per instructions in post#1), then my radio code (which i also gave to her)... followed by a long pause and hold time.. next question was name on the account, address information etc etc (because this car has a prior owner)...

so long story short, i can't seem to renew XM subscription i hope others don't run into similar issue....
Old 07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Instructor

ok.. so called back, deviated from the script, turned my charm on, told them that i purchased this car from someone and woudl like to (re)-activate XM.. the CSR offered me a sweet deal.. first 3 months for free.. so i asked them about this $77+$3.99/month NavTraffic deal, and CSR put me up for it as well, so now i have first 3 months free then $77 from there on..... a happy camper :-)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
dialed the designated number, followed the script to the T.. didn't work for me unfortunately.. the rep asked me about the promo code (which i gave per instructions in post#1), then my radio code (which i also gave to her)... followed by a long pause and hold time.. next question was name on the account, address information etc etc (because this car has a prior owner)...

so long story short, i can't seem to renew XM subscription i hope others don't run into similar issue....
When she asked for name and address- she was looking for yours. She has to bill someone.

If it didn't match what she has on file, she just changes it. She is making sure she has current info as things change.

But, you followed the recommendation: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Good job.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
5th Gear

Just renewed my subscription today. Worked like a charm! Also added 3.99 navtraffic as well. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xpditor
When she asked for name and address- she was looking for yours. She has to bill someone.

If it didn't match what she has on file, she just changes it. She is making sure she has current info as things change.
The part i had omitted from the posting (at the risk of rambling on and on) is that i did give her my name and address information. After which, she put me on hold for 5 mins, came back, and told me that account information didn't match, so she was going to flag my radio code as being under 'security scrutiny'...

So the second time i called, i explained the whole situation to a different rep and everything went on smoothly from there on..
Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just so it's out there, if you asked XM to bill you, they charge you $2 invoice fee.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I got in on the deal today as well. Told them my trial subscription was still going on and that I wasnt sure if i would extend it after it ended but a colleague told me he had just gotten a decent $77 promotional rate for his XM and that I would be interested in that same promotion for myself.
She said "well, okay, but did you receive one of our cards in the mail?" So I said "oh, you mean the ZWINBACK promotion?" to which she replied "there you go! Yes I can give you that rate".
It sounded to me that she was coaching me on to say the magic word (the promo code) so I am guessing that they've been told by corporate to only give the deal if ZWINBACK is specifically mentioned. Therefore any story you give them is probably as good as any other, so long as you make sure to mention the promo code.
Thanks OP for this deal!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

A little knowledge.......

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
I got in on the deal today as well. Told them my trial subscription was still going on and that I wasnt sure if i would extend it after it ended but a colleague told me he had just gotten a decent $77 promotional rate for his XM and that I would be interested in that same promotion for myself.
She said "well, okay, but did you receive one of our cards in the mail?" So I said "oh, you mean the ZWINBACK promotion?" to which she replied "there you go! Yes I can give you that rate".
It sounded to me that she was coaching me on to say the magic word (the promo code) so I am guessing that they've been told by corporate to only give the deal if ZWINBACK is specifically mentioned. Therefore any story you give them is probably as good as any other, so long as you make sure to mention the promo code.
Thanks OP for this deal!
I'm glad you got it.

I haven't made a big point of it in this thread, but you should not say you heard about this promotion- especially not say that you heard about it on the Internet or on Acurazine.com

This is not an "open" promotion that is advertised. It is a quiet, back door, in-house "Plan B" to bring customers back who have had a subscription and then cancelled. If you read the first post, it is explained there with a SCRIPT to use when calling. Those who don't follow the script often do not succeed. Some get lucky, most don't.

If XM senses that this deal is being spread around on the Internet, they may kill it. It is not something they want to do. It is a last resort to keep a customer. It follows the logic of "half a loaf is better than none".

It is definitely NOT a "sale" for new customers or to renegotiate existing subscriptions.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A colleague got the deal yesterday as well and he didn't even have XM beforehand so it seems the "zwinback" word is more important than the story to tell them when you call. My colleague couldnt tell them he'd gotten a card in the mail from XM trying to retain him as a customer because he wasn't an XM customer in the first place. There was no account info for him for the XM rep to have looked up.

Of course it stands to reason that it wouldnt be wise to tell the customer service reps that the deal is posted to a message board but then again I wouldn't put to much stock into whether or not XM knows about it by now. This is especially likely to be mentioned by someone who's called, tried the script and been denied the deal. In frustration, its highly likely that someone denied would blurt out something along the lines of 'what do you mean you won't give me the deal? Hundreds of people have gotten in on this deal because I read about it posted on a website!'

Every targeted promotion takes into account a certain amount of leakage to the general public. Surely most merchants know about all the coupon codes posted on deal hunting sites like FW and SD, and some even encourage the use of the codes by deliberately 'leaking' them to the sites. Knowing that a certain segment of the population will not buy something unless its perceived as a deal, merchants have to choose the lesser of two evils between making the sale at a discount vs. not making the sale at all. I was once told by someone at Dell the specific deal site that the company first posts their coupon codes onto. Surely large companies have employees that go onto discount coupon sites to survey the buzz of activity being generated about their company. The deal sites can't be ignored by vendors as some of them get millions of hits per day. I've even seen some of the deal site URLs listed in major magazine and newspaper articles.

Anyway, I appreciate the deal but I thought I'd chime in my about how tight lipped we really have to be. I mean this is the internet, viewed by anyone, anywhere, at anytime (except China where the 'net is filtered so only the government officials get the latest discounted deal codes!)
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Just worked for me. I told them my trial was expiring and I wanted to take advantage of the $77 deal. Didn't even ask for the code. Added NavTraffic for $3.99 a month. The whole thing was fairly quick and painless.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

worked again today. Just said my service had expired & I had received the mailer & code. She asked how much was the offer & I said $77 & she took my info. I passed on nav traffic, because it has eemed spotty in Orl & Atl the only 2 markets I have been in that have it.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

"zwinback" worked like a charm for me today!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Succeeded for me today. My XM was disonnected suddenly today, two days early, and it happened as we were listening during a long road trip to Erie, PA. I looked up the number at the beginning of the thread (gotta love a data connection on a Treo in the middle of nowhere ), called XM from the road, and got $77 for a year of XM and $47.88 for the year of NavTraffic.

I didn't mention zwinback, just mentioned a flyer with the $77/year renewal.

Wife was happy she got to listen to Oprah and Friends en route, and without delay, as the whole experience, from disconnection to reconnection, took only 15 minutes. Ten minutes was waiting for the connection to resume.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
9th Gear

Unhappy

I got "the deal" a year ago. Yesterday I received notice that my subscription was due to renew at the $12.95/month rate. I called to see if they would continue the $7.95 deal and they said no. So I told them to cancel my subscription. Does anyone know if this will work more than once? The first time I got it I was coming off the free trial that came with my RL.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jquilty
I got "the deal" a year ago. Yesterday I received notice that my subscription was due to renew at the $12.95/month rate. I called to see if they would continue the $7.95 deal and they said no. So I told them to cancel my subscription. Does anyone know if this will work more than once? The first time I got it I was coming off the free trial that came with my RL.
Thanks.
Many folks (like me) are on their third year of the $77 deal. That does not include live traffic. You need to negotiate that when you renew. That should also be at a reduced rate.

Go back to the first post for detailed instructions and a SCRIPT to use which has proven to be successful.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I just renewed for $77 (XM) and $32 (Nav Traffic) last week.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I renewed today for $77.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So, this deals works beyond the "second year" of renewal on..... Hmmmm, very interesting. I'm going to wait a few days and call in.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
My wife just renewed her 2006 MDX at the $77 rate for the 2nd time.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks all! It still works. Got my XM for another year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Renew Your XM Radio for $77 a year.