2008 acura RL OEM subwoofer issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:20 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 acura RL OEM subwoofer issues

Hello all, i think this is my first time post. my kb1 RL is my stock daily driver, i've had since new and never had any issues. that is until now. I think my subwoofer is dead. i noticed not too long ago that the bass lows were raspy. i was guessing my speakers must have failed so i figured i will have to replace it. but then i realized there was no bass coming from the subwoofer at all. i've tried to isolate any problems speakers and thus far i think the only ones i'm having issues with is the rear pass side (speaker buzz) and the sub woofer. is it common for the subwoofer to go out? and i think its an 8" sub. can i replace with some other better quality aftermarket sub? i am open to any suggestions. i was impressed with the sound system when it was stock but i m sure it can use some system upgrades. and also i think i m getting some sort of feedback from the ANC, because sometimes i can hear a drone coming from the speakers. weird stuff. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
It's an 8" sub. You can look from in your trunk and see the speaker and hear/feel if it's moving. I'd replace with OEM. It's a free air type woofer and there aren't really any that sound good. You really need a box and better amp to get good bass.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NathanJax
It's an 8" sub. You can look from in your trunk and see the speaker and hear/feel if it's moving. I'd replace with OEM. It's a free air type woofer and there aren't really any that sound good. You really need a box and better amp to get good bass.
thanks for the feedback. i did the 1/6 diagnostic and says amp is ok. so i guess i will check the wiring for the sub.

will an aftermarket sub of the same size work? or will it react with the ANC?

i was wondering if an 8" sub of some aftermarket company would fit?

also i am contemplating on just dropping in new subs and speakers. any suggestions?

what does the ANC do exactly? is it necessary to have? if i don't have it will the interior get loud?

i know so many questions but believe me any help is much much appreciated!

Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by kb1rl
thanks for the feedback. i did the 1/6 diagnostic and says amp is ok. so i guess i will check the wiring for the sub.

will an aftermarket sub of the same size work? or will it react with the ANC?

i was wondering if an 8" sub of some aftermarket company would fit?

also i am contemplating on just dropping in new subs and speakers. any suggestions?

what does the ANC do exactly? is it necessary to have? if i don't have it will the interior get loud?

i know so many questions but believe me any help is much much appreciated!

ANC is active noise canceling

it's an 8" opening so most 8" subs will fit, but subs are meant to have some type of enclosure, whether it's ported or sealed. Most are meant to be free air (like the stock one is) and even if it is, they don't sound very good. You can put an aftermarket sub on the stock amp, but it won't get the powered it needs.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NathanJax
ANC is active noise canceling

it's an 8" opening so most 8" subs will fit, but subs are meant to have some type of enclosure, whether it's ported or sealed. Most are meant to be free air (like the stock one is) and even if it is, they don't sound very good. You can put an aftermarket sub on the stock amp, but it won't get the powered it needs.
hellol. again thanks for the reply.

if i deactivate ANC, what will the differences be between with it on and off?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
We have seen a couple of times where the stock sub shorts out internally and fails completely. One time, it melted and fell into the member's trunk.

I doubt you could ever tell if ANC is working or not. It really isn't a big deal, but there is no reason why the system would have issues if you only replace the stock sub. When you add extra subs, that's when the system freaks out.