Text messages on Galaxy S5 - hit or miss

Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Text messages on Galaxy S5 - hit or miss

I have my Galaxy S5 synched with my Bluetooth in my TLX. When I did the setup I enabled the link to contacts and messages/email. When I get text messages, it seems to be hit or miss as far as A) the car noticing that I got a text and B) reading it out loud when I press the Read option on the screen. Sometimes it'll say "new message..." and I press Read, and nothing happens, it just stays there with Read/Ignore options. Sometimes it'll respond and read the message out loud. The other thing I noticed is sometimes it wont show who sent the text (name and number) and sometimes it will. I use Google Hangouts as my texting app if that makes any difference. Just curious if anyone else had any experience with texting/email from an Android phone.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by jayb082
I have my Galaxy S5 synched with my Bluetooth in my TLX. When I did the setup I enabled the link to contacts and messages/email. When I get text messages, it seems to be hit or miss as far as A) the car noticing that I got a text and B) reading it out loud when I press the Read option on the screen. Sometimes it'll say "new message..." and I press Read, and nothing happens, it just stays there with Read/Ignore options. Sometimes it'll respond and read the message out loud. The other thing I noticed is sometimes it wont show who sent the text (name and number) and sometimes it will. I use Google Hangouts as my texting app if that makes any difference. Just curious if anyone else had any experience with texting/email from an Android phone.
I have a Note 3 and it has not worked once for me for e-mails or text messages. I get alerted that I have a new e-mail/text message like you said above... and it gives me the option to read/ignore. Again like you stated above, every single time I click read, it just hangs there and does nothing... I can't escape the screen either for several seconds.... then if I hit "read" again a few more times it does the same thing.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by randomRon82
I have a Note 3 and it has not worked once for me for e-mails or text messages. I get alerted that I have a new e-mail/text message like you said above... and it gives me the option to read/ignore. Again like you stated above, every single time I click read, it just hangs there and does nothing... I can't escape the screen either for several seconds.... then if I hit "read" again a few more times it does the same thing.
guess I'll have to look into some Bluetooth "car mode" apps that'll read texts out loud - I had tried one called Jarvis which worked pretty well. Also, I pre-ordered the Navdy so that should do the trick once I get it (early next year).
Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten mines to work pretty flawlessly. There's a option in the phones menu to read upon click. Otherwise when you press read, you'll have to click "down" on the big knob for it to read.

I have a Note 3 w/ Hangouts, so it does in fact work. The only issue I have is it doesn't show their, name, only their number. [It'll show their name sometimes] Trying to figure this out.

I had my friend sit down next to me day 1 to test this feature out actually. We kept sending test text messages until we got it to function how I wanted.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RigorousXChris
I've gotten mines to work pretty flawlessly. There's a option in the phones menu to read upon click. Otherwise when you press read, you'll have to click "down" on the big knob for it to read.

I have a Note 3 w/ Hangouts, so it does in fact work. The only issue I have is it doesn't show their, name, only their number. [It'll show their name sometimes] Trying to figure this out.

I had my friend sit down next to me day 1 to test this feature out actually. We kept sending test text messages until we got it to function how I wanted.
Thanks for the info. Yes I believe mine is on "auto read". What Android OS version are you running? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm running 4.4.2
Old 09-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes I believe mine is on "auto read". What Android OS version are you running? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm running 4.4.2

I'm on 4.4.2 as well.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RigorousXChris

It sounds like you're referring to the phone's built in "hands-free mode." If so, this is just S Voice speaking through bluetooth... but it won't work if you're not on the "bluetooth" source.... ie you're in XM, HDD, USB etc.

Is that what you're talking about?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I have 4.4.3 and text messages worked straight away. All I did was pair the phone and allow it to copy my phone book. I was surprised when I got my first text message. The next time I actually used a couple of the canned replies.

The docs say you can receive texts or emails but not both. When I look to set it to receive emails, all I see is a text option.

Have you had any luck with this?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I still haven't been able to receive texts or e-mails. It tells me that I have one though... but I just can't see them. JayB, have you had any luck yet?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
I still haven't been able to receive texts or e-mails. It tells me that I have one though... but I just can't see them. JayB, have you had any luck yet?
Same issue here with my G2 Android 4.4.2. Says I have a message but when I select Read it doesn't do anything. I will unpair the phone and try the setup again.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note 3 Texts

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
I have 4.4.3 and text messages worked straight away. All I did was pair the phone and allow it to copy my phone book. I was surprised when I got my first text message. The next time I actually used a couple of the canned replies.

The docs say you can receive texts or emails but not both. When I look to set it to receive emails, all I see is a text option.

Have you had any luck with this?
I have not been able to get a text on my Note 3. Same as others have said. It tells me I have a text but just sits on read ignore. I am using handcent for texts. Are you using the default messaging app?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob Sharma
I have not been able to get a text on my Note 3. Same as others have said. It tells me I have a text but just sits on read ignore. I am using handcent for texts. Are you using the default messaging app?
Yes, I am using the default messaging app on my Galaxy S4. Matter of fact I was just using it a couple of hours ago on my drive home from work.

What happens when you click on read? I guess nothing? If you are parked, can you read the message on the screen?

I can see all of my previous text messages whether I sent them in the car or from the phone on my ELS.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

hmmmmm I also tried it with my corp iphone... with 8.0.2 and it didn't work either.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Racer

Nope - still doesn't work. I'll try pairing my phone again to see if that helps any...
Old 11-28-2014, 11:13 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my Corporate Iphone, I was able to activate Text message by selecting Show notifications under the HandsFreeLink parameters
Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm having this problem as well (Tells me I have a message and offers to read it but nothing happens when I select read. Just sits for a while then de-selects the read button.) Same whether the car is moving or not.

I am wondering what the parameters are for success/failure are.

I have a Galaxy S4 with Android 4.2.2. Also tired on wife's S5 Android 4.4.4 which fails in the same manner.

My TLX SH-AWD Advanced has the software update (Was installed when I got the car early November.)

Can you post your success/failure and what phone, OS, and TLX software status are?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sbillard
Can you post your success/failure and what phone, OS, and TLX software status are?
I previously posted my results. Let me know if you need more information.

I have a S4 that was running fine on 4.2.2 and also when I upgraded to 4.4.4. I haven't updated my ELS yet. I figured I will get to that on my first oil change. I am at 40% on my oil check.

100% success rate getting text messages and able to send canned replies as well.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I have my Galaxy S5 synched with my Bluetooth in my TLX.
One of our service advisors called me today to see if I had any clues to get the S5 to import contacts (new MDX). They couldn't get it working.

hmmmmm I also tried it with my corp iphone... with 8.0.2 and it didn't work either.
As far as we know, NO iOS device will allow text message replies with the build in Acura system, some may read them however. You can use the Siri Eyes Free interface to handle text messages AND you can reply with any message not the 6 per-defined ones that Acura provides.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I got it to work!!!!!

I un-paired the phone both at the phone and at the vehicle. Then I re-paired it with the phone in my hands. When it paired the phone asked me if I wanted to allow retrieval of text messages. Answered "yes" to that (and to allowing it to sync my address book.)

I did not see that request the first time I paired the phone. Maybe I was not looking at the correct time.

Now the car will retrieve all my text messages and let me "read" them. I have all the canned response possibilities as well. Have not yet tested actually receiving a text--time to go borrow my wife's phone....

[later]

When I did the experiment with sending a text via my wife's phone I noticed something else that is probably relevant. The message asking if I want to allow the text messages to be retrieved came up when I started the car. There is a check box so that the phone will not ask again which I have now checked. I suspect that the "default" answer to the question is "no" whereas the default to the similar question about importing the phone book must be "yes" since that worked even though I had not (apparently) been answering the question.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (12-12-2014)