AcuraLink reviews? Looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
AcuraLink reviews? Looking for feedback

Picking up new TLX Advance and a RDX Advance and was looking for feedback and reviews on the Connect and Premium packages. I am coming from an A6 that had online Google search that I loved. I know the new Acuras have AcuraLink Next Generation which has some connectivity options and option for live concierge service. Has anyone used the cloud navigation? Is there a send to car function from say google maps? What other services is everyone using?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I have the AcuraLink Connect package. This gives voice search for destinations, Send destination to car from the the website or phone app, and various roadside assist services.

I use the send destination to car all the time when planning trips. I also use the voice search. I find both to be very useful. Have not needed the roadside assist fortunately. The voice search will fall back to an operator if needed.

All the premium package adds is concierge service. That might be useful if you are in your car and need lodging or restaurant reservations a lot, but that is not my lifestyle.

The AcuraLink maps software is not so good as Google, and if you are using it from your computer it does not seem to use your location information. Result is that unless you give hints like the zipcode you will get search results around the Acura Hawthorn, CA vicinity.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks. I watched a video and was disappointed in how much interaction there was for voice search. They really need to use google search and such. It was great in my A6, I would say "online destination.. Panarea bread" and it would pull up all the Panera Bread locations. Was really awesome and accurate, I could even voice search say a doctors office by the doctors name and it would pull it up.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:04 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got our RDX. Do I have to activate Acura Assist and Acura Link or do they start automatically?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^^The dealer should have activated it for you (assuming that your car came with the 1st year free deal).
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lbabus
Just got our RDX. Do I have to activate Acura Assist and Acura Link or do they start automatically?
The basic Acura Link package was immediately activated on my TLX.

I don't think that includes Assist, however I've read in other threads that you can get a free trial of the premium package. Just press the Acura Link button in your car and it will connect you to an operator who can help you and explain all the various options and prices.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
^^The dealer should have activated it for you (assuming that your car came with the 1st year free deal).
1st year free? I read it is only 90 days. I need to check and fine out as I just picked up my TLX and we pick up the RDX tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
1st year free? I read it is only 90 days. I need to check and fine out as I just picked up my TLX and we pick up the RDX tomorrow.
As I understand it, it is free for a year in Canada, for 90 days in the US.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

90 days here in US and the Standard level is only for 3 years, then Connect/Premium is free for 90 days.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly its not worth it at all, the nav is pretty terrible. I just use google maps on my phone. There is absolutely no substitute for google maps when it comes to traffic avoidance
Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I find it pretty valuable. For me, traffic from Acuralink has been almost identical to google maps. Connect gives you a lot of features, including traffic, send to nav, lojack-like stolen vehicle recovery and emergency assist in the event of an accident. Well worth the $160 a year. Not sure the premium is worth it though for $250.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
90 days here in US and the Standard level is only for 3 years, then Connect/Premium is free for 90 days.
Has anyone seen pricing for the Standard level after the 3 year FREE period ends?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Has anyone seen pricing for the Standard level after the 3 year FREE period ends?
Since the Acura Link Generation has not been around that long, my guess is they will figure that out when it gets closer to people having their 3 year Standard expire. To me it should be one of those things that you offer to the original owner for life or 3 years free for any owners. I am curious if anyone has tried to negotiate the Connect package at all. I am very curious if they will cut me a better deal to do 3 years on both our new TLX and RDX.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
They have an unusual business model. Unlike Sirius, there was no followup or inquiry about renewing AcuraLink when my one year free service expired. The Canadian website does not list rates for the different levels or have a link to perform a renewal.

Not planning to renew as I only used it a few times, and the download of a destination and car status only worked for a short while with my car parked underground.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I got both the TLX and her RDX set up on AcuraLink accounts. Have not played around too much, but damn, so much room for improvement. The Maps thing is awful, adopt a Google Maps send to car approach is the better. I was walking from office building to my car (a 2+ min walk) and tried to unlock car. I made it to car and opened car myself and app was still working on it. I wonder whose cell service they are using and who runs the backend technology for them.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
They have an unusual business model. Unlike Sirius, there was no followup or inquiry about renewing AcuraLink when my one year free service expired. The Canadian website does not list rates for the different levels or have a link to perform a renewal.

Not planning to renew as I only used it a few times, and the download of a destination and car status only worked for a short while with my car parked underground.
Strange indeed. Also while they have multi year discounts they do not offer any discount for multiple cars.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
The maps app does suck, but I find it pretty useful sending destinations to the car.

I would also imagine that your own cel service and reception might have a bearing on how well the app works. Not a bad feature but Im not sure Id be willing to pay for it once its up.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Picking up new TLX Advance and a RDX Advance and was looking for feedback and reviews on the Connect and Premium packages. I am coming from an A6 that had online Google search that I loved. I know the new Acuras have AcuraLink Next Generation which has some connectivity options and option for live concierge service. Has anyone used the cloud navigation? Is there a send to car function from say google maps? What other services is everyone using?

Thanks
You replaced your A6 with the TLX???
Old 10-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes. Posted in main 5G threads, but short answer is; I was tired of paying so much for A6 which essentially became a daily commuter only. The TLX saves me $350 a month and at least 10% in MPGs (if not more as early results are very promising).
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sbillard
I have the AcuraLink Connect package. This gives voice search for destinations, Send destination to car from the the website or phone app, and various roadside assist services.

I use the send destination to car all the time when planning trips. I also use the voice search. I find both to be very useful. Have not needed the roadside assist fortunately. The voice search will fall back to an operator if needed.

All the premium package adds is concierge service. That might be useful if you are in your car and need lodging or restaurant reservations a lot, but that is not my lifestyle.

The AcuraLink maps software is not so good as Google, and if you are using it from your computer it does not seem to use your location information. Result is that unless you give hints like the zipcode you will get search results around the Acura Hawthorn, CA vicinity.
Can you please explain a little about the how the AcuraLink voice search works vs the standard navigation. I'm not finding much information at the AcuraLink website. I'm assuming this is voice search within the car.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Press the Blue button. Car calls AcuraLink. You get a voice prompt. Select the one for finding a destination. You will be prompted to say the place you want to find. If the system understands you and locates the place it will give you options. (Maybe there were more than one hit, so you will have to choose.) Once you have settled on the selection you will be asked if you want it sent to the car. Choose yes and it will pop up as a potential destination.

If the automated system does not find the place you can get human assistance. Maybe they can use Google Search, who knows, but they will try to find your place and then it as a destination to your car.

For standard navigation the place you want must be in the POI data and you must manually enter it (or do it one letter at a time via voice.)

On US cars if you know the address you can input that by voice.
The following users liked this post:
rka4570 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sbillard
Press the Blue button. Car calls AcuraLink. You get a voice prompt. Select the one for finding a destination. You will be prompted to say the place you want to find. If the system understands you and locates the place it will give you options. (Maybe there were more than one hit, so you will have to choose.) Once you have settled on the selection you will be asked if you want it sent to the car. Choose yes and it will pop up as a potential destination.

If the automated system does not find the place you can get human assistance. Maybe they can use Google Search, who knows, but they will try to find your place and then it as a destination to your car.

For standard navigation the place you want must be in the POI data and you must manually enter it (or do it one letter at a time via voice.)

On US cars if you know the address you can input that by voice.

While this is an improvement of the non-AcuraLink Navi of years past, this is by far a kludgy implementation. I watched the video and all the prompts is ridiculous while you are driving. I will say it again, Audi has it nailed with their online search, hit the button say "online destination McDonalds" and in a few seconds I have every McDonalds for miles around on my screen to select from. It uses Google, none of these wannabe providers will do it better. Why waste time just use the proven leader in search and mapping.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Been playing with AcuraLink today and not overly impressed. First the delay in the initial connection is 15-30 seconds. Then all the interactions and delays are extremely distracting while driving. Then once it does find what you are looking for it starts reading them too you by address. WTF? Most times I have no idea what street something is on, and to read them one at a time sucks. They should display them on the screen, but then that would require 2 way communication. This service is way over priced for what it is, but the send to car is nice for the mobile app even though it is crude and does not use google maps. I will keep playing with it, but really am disappointed so far.