How to get rid of Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to get rid of Nav?

Have a 14 RDX with the totally worthless Nav. Is there any way to shut it off or permanently disable it so I can use the audio screen? Every time the car is started I have to OK the message acknowledging that I was stupid enough to buy the worthless Nav. I can't manually input anything while driving but I have to manually OK the screen off while driving. Who designs this junk?
Acura should be VERY,VERY ashamed of their Nav.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
As you might have seen in a few other posts of mine, I agree with you 100%. If I had any idea how poor the nav was, I would not have purchased the tech package - and probably would have looked closer at some of the competitive vehicles I had considered.

It seems like a product designed by someone who never actually had to use it. Someone at Acura should indeed be embarrassed.

Last edited by davisinla; 10-31-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
The nav sucks, but I can deal with clicking OK and using the nav every once in a blue moon.

Once you have your audio stations preset and your audio EQ, you can scroll through your presets on the steering wheel without clicking OK
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
The nav sucks, but I can deal with clicking OK and using the nav every once in a blue moon.

Once you have your audio stations preset and your audio EQ, you can scroll through your presets on the steering wheel without clicking OK
It's not very easy to navigate the folders on a USB that way.

BTW, we just retired and purchased the RDX for road trips. On our past trips, Mrs. DAVISinLA had been the navigator, finding interesting locations, restaurants, etc. on our trusty old Garmin. I thought the nav in the RDX would be a step up - nice, big, built-in screen. On day one, I came to the horrible realization that the navigator couldn't use it while we where driving. So she has to use her iPhone, which sure defeats the purpose of having a nice, big, built-in screen, doesn't it?

Maybe the nav doesn't bother you simply because you don't use it, but it's in the "major bummer" category for me. And, honestly, every time I need to use the gps while in motion, I think about trading the vehicle. I'm that p!ssed off.

Last edited by davisinla; 10-31-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The nav is atrocious for so many reasons, it's pathetic. If I had realized it was this bad, I would have rethought getting the tech package. As a result, I would probably have bought something else.

The RDX Tech is already a little short on features. Take away the tech package, and you're left with a relatively expensive, but relatively pedestrian, CUV.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 AM
10th Gear

We should all contact Acura and tell them to fix the Nav or refund our money for it. Without the tech package too many other options like the HID lights and fog lights are omitted. Without most of the things in the tech package I would not have bought either.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by davisinla
And, honestly, every time I need to use the gps while in motion, I think about trading the vehicle. I'm that p!ssed off.
I am going to contact Acura and demand a software update to allow use of the NAV when a passenger is present. Why should you lose your a-- because of a poor design like this?
It is nothing I would have ever thought of checking and the salesman with held that info. On purpose I assume.
The following users liked this post:
davisinla (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by az99
It is nothing I would have ever thought of checking and the salesman with held that info. On purpose I assume.
Exactly.

I research vehicles very extensively before purchase. It never occurred to me that a manufacturer would forbid the passenger from using the nav. I mean, I own the car and the nav - shouldn't that be MY decision?

Maybe all NAVs in new cars these days work the same way. But combined with the pathetic way voice the commands work, Acura's system is pretty much useless while traveling.

I've got to believe there are better units out there.

Last edited by davisinla; 11-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Racer

I would pay for a software update and sign a waiver so Acura would not be liable if I was to wreck if it was proven I wrecked because I was fuggin with the nav
Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Instructor

I would pay for a software update and sign a waiver so Acura would not be liable if I was to wreck if it was proven I wrecked because I was fuggin with the nav
I would too. But that's essentially what we're agreeing to when we press 'OK' every time we get in the car: "The driver is responsible blah blah blah..."
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
The "nannying" of the nav is actually a technology/safety enhancement in the same way you aren't supposed to text and drive. I am in 100% agreement that there should be someway to override this "enhancement" but doubt we will see it. Too many lawsuits and people willing to file them. Acura/Honda is simply looking to cover themselves and avoid litigation.
My wife drove an 04 Lexus ES330 and it had the "nanny" way back then. Reading on one of the Lexus forums, someone figured out a way to override it, but it was only good until you turned the ignition off. Once you restarted the car and the nav rebooted, you were back to square one. She drives an 07 ES350 today and it's the same thing although I havent taken the time to see if there is a similar override.
Maybe one of our fellow AZ members can figure out an override..........
Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
The "nannying" of the nav is actually a technology/safety enhancement in the same way you aren't supposed to text and drive. I am in 100% agreement that there should be someway to override this "enhancement" but doubt we will see it. Too many lawsuits and people willing to file them. Acura/Honda is simply looking to cover themselves and avoid litigation.
I understand some "nanny" features, but this one is over the line. It would be like since you're not suppose to drink and drive, future versions of their GPS will not show you directions to any establishment that serves alcohol.

What's ironic is that I find trying to use the voice commands incredibly distracting.

Bottom line for me: Since Acura decided to "dumb down" their unit, I feel that while we were on the test drive, we should have been informed that the GPS in the vehicle does not have the same capabilities of any portable GPS we could have purchased - for a lot less money. I would not have opted for the Tech Package if I had known of the limitation.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What's ironic is that I find trying to use the voice commands incredibly distracting.
Same here, since I end up staring at the screen to see if it understood me correctly. Inevitably, it doesn't, because the voice commands suck.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had OEM NAVs since 2002 in various vehicles and I think they ALL disabled input while the car was moving. I have learned to just live with it and enjoy the larger screen and integration with the vehicle.

HOWEVER, this "NAV BEEP" that occurs when entering an "unverified road" has sadly taken the RDX out of the "new car equation" for me. None of my earlier vehicles did that and I refuse to put up with it. I sure as heck hope this isn't going to be a safety feature across the board on new OEM NAVs.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by BobBass
I've had OEM NAVs since 2002 in various vehicles and I think they ALL disabled input while the car was moving. I have learned to just live with it and enjoy the larger screen and integration with the vehicle.

HOWEVER, this "NAV BEEP" that occurs when entering an "unverified road" has sadly taken the RDX out of the "new car equation" for me. None of my earlier vehicles did that and I refuse to put up with it. I sure as heck hope this isn't going to be a safety feature across the board on new OEM NAVs.
Can you disable that? My Nav doesn't do that.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Can you disable that? My Nav doesn't do that.
I've tried. I'd pay real money for a solution to this one.

I'm guessing that this is more of a problem in rural areas vs. big cities where you many never encounter an "unverified area." But the database seems to be very outdated, and even streets that have been around for decades in my town are considered "unverified" - like the street I live on! It's unbelievable (well, maybe it isn't) that streets driven routinely can't be verified by the user.

The only way I've found to avoid the beep is not to press "OK" at the prompt, and having he display go into "off" mode. Unfortunately, as many of you know, while the nav is off, access to the audio menus are also disabled.

Stupid. Very stupid.

Last edited by davisinla; 11-03-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Racer

I think I might have encountered that nav beep over the weekend... does the nav necessarily need a destination programmed to get that beep if you go off course?

I didn't have the nav programmed but was listening to some audio, as soon as I made the turn on a side road the nav beeped and the lady said some crap I don't remember what.

That has only happened once in a year of ownership, I thought I was hallucinating at first
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Instructor

I think I might have encountered that nav beep over the weekend... does the nav necessarily need a destination programmed to get that beep if you go off course?

I didn't have the nav programmed but was listening to some audio, as soon as I made the turn on a side road the nav beeped and the lady said some crap I don't remember what.

That has only happened once in a year of ownership, I thought I was hallucinating at first
Yes, I think you may have experienced the infamous "unverified area" notification. In rural areas it happens all the time. And if you have the misfortune to live on an unverified street,

The nav doesn't have to be programmed with a destination. It doesn't even have to be on the display. Since the nav is not being relied upon, or even viewed, at the time, I don't understand what nanny is in effect just to let you know the road you're on isn't in the database. Who cares if you're not using the nav??????

Stupid. Very stupid.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Racer

I tried to mess around with the nav awhile back thinking the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire had something to do with it. Took out the radio, and nav screen determined to find a fix for you guys but the lockout seems to be more advanced and is probably tied in with data wires and such. Eventually I gave up

I really wish there was a fix

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-405/cant-program-nav-while-driving-883117/
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
10th Gear

Call Acura Technology support and voice you complaints about this worthless Nav system. The tech admitted to me that it is certainly a double standard when you can't use the nav while driving but you have to read a full paragraph disclaimer and manually input OK on the knob while driving.

888-888-7804
Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Nav

I never had nav before my RDX so I've really enjoyed not having to rely on paper Google printouts. Now I realize that I should be mad as hell about this worthless piece of garbage. Thanks guys.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Right on, Al...

I never realized what a crappy POS the RDX is until I found this forum.
musty hustla (12-25-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by markAZ
Right on, Al...

So of instead of making an asinine sarcastic comment why not advise us how to resolve some of the issues?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Instructor

I'm presuming a heavy degree of sarcasm in that statement. If so, can I make a suggestion: if you think the RDX is a perfect vehicle, and you're not interested in reading about the issues or problems other people are having, perhaps it's not a good idea to hang around a forum where people come to discuss those things.

Last edited by davisinla; 11-08-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Instructor

This just in:

I had written a letter to Acura Customer Relations regarding the nav, and just got a call from a Customer Service rep.

He was very polite, but I get the feeling they are trained to listen, tell the customer they understand their frustration, and then explain why there's nothing they can do.

When he told me it was a regulation and it's the same with navs from all manufacturers, I replied that in my research, I had read it was voluntary. He said, and I am quoting, "it's mandatory voluntary." I'm not sure what that means, but everything he said was just another way of telling me I was SOL.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
6km into picking up the car I have up on mine. It doesn't understand Queen's English so I can't use it.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Pro

No, I can't stop reading the forum...it's too entertaining. I get a real kick out of some of the 'issues' people report and get all lathered up about. I've driven and owned many cars & trucks over the last 50 yr or so and I've seen my share of problems. IMO, the RDX is the best car we've owned. Next best would probably be the CR-V we traded in. Hell, I even like the nav. The fact that you can't fiddle with it while you're moving doesn't bother me a bit. But then, I'm a retired old fart who isn't in too much of a hurry to pull over & stop for five minutes to change it.

And, no I don't think it's perfect. My two major annoyances with it are (1) that damned chrome bezel around the shift lever that reflects the sun into my eyes and (2) that when my wife & I both get in the car with our key fobs it will sometimes set the seat to the wrong setting. Some electrical tape will fix #1 and I can live with #2.

I haven't seen anything on here yet that I'd consider a major problem but as always...YMMV.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Instructor

No, I can't stop reading the forum...it's too entertaining. I get a real kick out of some of the 'issues' people report and get all lathered up about.
So you stop by to drop of sarcastic remarks as a way to entertain yourself?

You know, this could be a sign that being "a retired old fart" might be getting a little boring for you, eh?

YMMV

Last edited by davisinla; 11-08-2013 at 08:51 PM.
mwachel (12-19-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Pro

What makes you think I'm being sarcastic?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Deep breaths everybody! We're all here to help each other and sometimes have a bit of "fun" too. Nothing's perfect and we all end to vent sometimes and just hopefully hear that we're not the only one. ;-)
Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Instructor

What makes you think I'm being sarcastic?
---

Last edited by davisinla; 11-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mdfree
Deep breaths everybody! We're all here to help each other and sometimes have a bit of "fun" too.
That's exactly right. Didn't mean to start a flame war. Just a little humor, nothing more.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not get any replies in my thread so asking here if anyone has tried using proclip http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...2013-2014.cmsv

so I can reliably stick up a nexus 7
Old 12-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nav works just fine for me. FWIW, my Mercedes also locks out nav while driving. Not sure why everyone is so surprised about this.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried to mess around with the nav awhile back thinking the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire had something to do with it. Took out the radio, and nav screen determined to find a fix for you guys but the lockout seems to be more advanced and is probably tied in with data wires and such. Eventually I gave up

I really wish there was a fix

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883117
my 2012 gmc truck was the same lockout i was able to bypassed but their are 2 things that had to be done on it the speed sensor wire cut & a interruption switch installed inline in the gps antenna that will cut your movement off on the nav screen while you program it then turn it on when your are done with your address entry the gps antenna also clocks your speed. I haven't tried on the new rdx as wife doesn't want me tareing apart her new car
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM
6th Gear

The NAV is just one of the things I'm not happy about in my 2014 RDX. Trying to get past one issue at a time and for now I would just like for the map to be current. Streets near my home that have been completed for 4 years are not in this map. Any way to update it?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
People will complain about anything... The navigation ok business if there for the idiots that try and use it while driving. All I do is click ok and let it show the map...
Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
The navigation ok business if there for the idiots that try and use it while driving.
If you never have the need to find a destination while you're driving, fine. But some people do. And allowing the passenger to use a built-in nav the same way they would use a Garmin portable is not an unreasonable expectation.

People will complain about anything...
You know, looking at all the threads you've started on this forum, that's a very funny comment.

-

Last edited by davisinla; 01-13-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
If you never have the need to find a destination while you're driving, fine. But some people do. And allowing the passenger to use a built-in nav the same way they would use a Garmin portable is not an unreasonable expectation.

You know, looking at all the threads you've started on this forum, that's a very funny comment.

-
Then pull your butt over and deal with it. otherwise don 't complain about piddle crap that one should have investigated before they bought the car. I personally have no problem with the navigation and love the seamless integration with my windows phone. Oh, and if I do use the nav, I set the destination before I start off as I am not dumb enough to try and drive and set the nav at the time time...

Hello? common sense? do you have it?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 AM
10th Gear

Then pull your butt over and deal with it. otherwise don 't complain about piddle crap that one should have investigated before they bought the car. I personally have no problem with the navigation and love the seamless integration with my windows phone. Oh, and if I do use the nav, I set the destination before I start off as I am not dumb enough to try and drive and set the nav at the time time...

Hello? common sense? do you have it?
And some people like you will polish a turd and try to convince other people it is a diamond. Or maybe you have just never used a quality nav system and think you have one.
The POS Acura puts in this car is not even on par with an $89 TomTom.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of Nav?