Car acting up.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:17 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Car acting up.

I recently left my car over at Maaco to do some body work for 2 weeks and then took a week long vacation, so my car was sitting for pretty much 3 weeks. i guess in this time, my battery lost some juice and one day everything started going haywire. First the car wouldnt turn over, so i thought something was left on and the battery died, but all the internals (navi, radio, windows, MID) were working. I made sure all the connectors were clean and on tight. I jumped the car, and it turned on. I let it sit for 20 mins, shut it off, and then tried turning the car on again, and it didnt work. I thought the battery died, so i was on my way to Sears to get it checked out and replaced. On my way there, Navi started to turn on and off, same with the radio, the SH-AWD light came on, i couldnt accelerate properly, car was shifting hard and my MID wasnt working. I called my mechanic up while driving and he said it was the Alternator. So i headed over to him. He checked to see if it was charging alright, and sure enough it was. He said something was wrong with the battery. I went to Sears from there, i took my own battery out to speed up the process and they ran their diagnostic on the battery....everything was fine. i popped the same battery back in and everything is working fine. No problems for the past few days. Im just curious if this happened to anyone else or if someone has an explanation to what happened. My mechanic said that stuff like this could happen if the batteries charge drops a bit. Im not too satisfied with that answer.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
During the body work they may have caused a bad ground. Here is a decent video that shows how to test for that, using a multi-meter.