Ask a cop anything v2.0 "brakejob lives"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
read your state statute to see whether or not it can be bargained down or not. a lot of states just say that if you fail the breath test, thats dui, no other way about it.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:24 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
brakejob- If I was to get pulled over by local police, how could I go about letting the officer know that my neighbor is a cop with the same city? My next door neighbor and family friend is a cop, so i was just curious how I could let the cop know that without pissing him off?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaliChris517
brakejob- If I was to get pulled over by local police, how could I go about letting the officer know that my neighbor is a cop with the same city? My next door neighbor and family friend is a cop, so i was just curious how I could let the cop know that without pissing him off?
WHy bother, like anyone cares that your neighboor is a cop....
Old 10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unless the cop that stopped you is your neighbor, or at least that cop knows you because of your neighbor, there is no way out.

"But sir, Bill lives next door to me and he is a (insert city here) officer. Is there anything you can do for me?"

"That's nice sir. I know Bill too. Please sign your ticket."

"But, but, but...I'll suck your..."
Old 10-01-2006, 05:44 PM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DRM600
"But, but, but...I'll suck your..."
Hmm... I take it you know from experience.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
One on the right for me

I dont see how that would make one bit of difference.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by brakejob
2) Radar... afaik no laser is in use in california
I've been hit by laser on hwy 101 before... on more than one occasion. Fortunately, the CHP car was on the other side of the freeway and I made a clean "getaway".

Once, I was driving at 110 mph down this stretch of the 101 in Pismo Beach, and I noticed a turn coming up. I decided to slow down to 80-90, for safety's sake, and low-and-behold a CHP car was just around the corner. The officer noticed my Cal Poly parking sticker, asked if I was a student, the last time I received a speeding ticket, etc. and wrote a citation for 75 mph, allowing me to take traffic school. I was very, very lucky.

While I was in Italy, I took a little Nissan I rented up to 190 km/hr (119 mph) on a couple occasions. The car was surprisingly stable at that speed, and eager to go faster. I decided to stay around 150, though, since the car's tires were very thin and I was afraid they wouldn't hold in a turn. One has to be careful when driving very fast.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Master in Science

Question:

If I call the police on a simple disturbance, ie. I saw someone shine a laser at cars passing by (I was walking my dogs), and the police cites or arrests someone; can the person find out who called the police? It is possible to stay anonymous?

Another event I just remembered: I was driving around the block the other day to clean the brake disks after washing my car (to take some pics), and saw 3 young guys (HS age) pull all four wheels off an RSX, parked on the street, and put them in a van. The car was left on those triangles once can buy at automotive stores. I thought it was extremely suspicious -- the kids were all smiling, until they noticed I had noticed them. I slowed down and memorized the license plate of the van; then wrote it down at home. Then did nothing. I was afraid of getting involved... since I live so close.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 PM
One on the right for me

Glad you are not my neighbor
Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by subinf
Glad you are not my neighbor
Weird.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by slo007
Question:

If I call the police on a simple disturbance, ie. I saw someone shine a laser at cars passing by (I was walking my dogs), and the police cites or arrests someone; can the person find out who called the police? It is possible to stay anonymous?
Yes, but it may hinder the ability of the state to prosecute, if the only witness will not come forward

Originally Posted by slo007
Another event I just remembered: I was driving around the block the other day to clean the brake disks after washing my car (to take some pics), and saw 3 young guys (HS age) pull all four wheels off an RSX, parked on the street, and put them in a van. The car was left on those triangles once can buy at automotive stores. I thought it was extremely suspicious -- the kids were all smiling, until they noticed I had noticed them. I slowed down and memorized the license plate of the van; then wrote it down at home. Then did nothing. I was afraid of getting involved... since I live so close.
Report the plate to the police. If your wheels were stolen, wouldn't you want a witness to call the police?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Ok..how about some search and seizure?

I always end up arguing with my friends about this stuff, so I wanted to clear it up.

I'm under the impression that if any drugs, illegal substances, or anything illegal for that matter is found in a "common area" of the car, then everyone is at fault. However, if you have coke (for example) locked in the glove box, or locked in the trunk, then only the driver is responsible for those drugs. Am I understanding this correctly? And is it still a common area of the car is the drugs are found in someone's pocket?

Also, say one person owns up to whatever is found in the car. Is everyone else in the clear?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Question:

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite policeman movies?
Which were your favorite policemen/policewoman characters?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:41 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Ok..how about some search and seizure?

I always end up arguing with my friends about this stuff, so I wanted to clear it up.

I'm under the impression that if any drugs, illegal substances, or anything illegal for that matter is found in a "common area" of the car, then everyone is at fault. However, if you have coke (for example) locked in the glove box, or locked in the trunk, then only the driver is responsible for those drugs. Am I understanding this correctly? And is it still a common area of the car is the drugs are found in someone's pocket?

Also, say one person owns up to whatever is found in the car. Is everyone else in the clear?

I think thats more of a question for your local DA
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

^^

Any cop should know the laws here so they know who to arrest, no?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
One on the right for me

^^

Any cop should know the laws here so they know who to arrest, no?

I imagine them taking everyone in and then figuring out what they can charge them with.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by subinf
I imagine them taking everyone in and then figuring out what they can charge them with.
Yeah, but you can't be detained more than a certain amount of time without being charged, ya? (Habeas corpus? - I'm a lil fuzzy with my history)

Maybe brakejob will weigh in with the answers...
Old 10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Help me out with your hypothetical. What common area? In the center armrest? = Probably Driver. On the rear seat in the middle? Probably one of the backseat people. In case you ever wondered why officers separate people in the car and talk to them separately, it's to see which one acts "wrong" or says the wrong thing without the others being able to offer plausable explanations.

If all else failed, I would put all of the in the back seat of my car for a few minutes, let them talk, and not tell them that I was recording the audio inside the car. No reasonable expectation of privacy for YOU in MY car. Someone always told the person who owned the dope to fess up...

Sometimes a guy would ask his girlfreind to hold the coke/weed/heroin in her purse/pocket, etc...thinking we were not likely to hassle her as much. Once it was found on her (and if I KNEW it wasn't hers), if she tried to maintain that it was hers, I would ask the guy to talk to a seargant on my cell phone out of earshot of the female. Then I would approach the woman and tell her that the guy was bragging to his OTHER girlfriend about how this woman was taking the wrap for him. After she landed back on the ground she was usually pretty co-operative with me in telling me exactly where the drugs were from, who owned them, how much he had paid for them, etc. Good times.....
Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Help me out with your hypothetical. What common area? In the center armrest? = Probably Driver. On the rear seat in the middle? Probably one of the backseat people. In case you ever wondered why officers separate people in the car and talk to them separately, it's to see which one acts "wrong" or says the wrong thing without the others being able to offer plausable explanations.

If all else failed, I would put all of the in the back seat of my car for a few minutes, let them talk, and not tell them that I was recording the audio inside the car. No reasonable expectation of privacy for YOU in MY car. Someone always told the person who owned the dope to fess up...

Sometimes a guy would ask his girlfreind to hold the coke/weed/heroin in her purse/pocket, etc...thinking we were not likely to hassle her as much. Once it was found on her (and if I KNEW it wasn't hers), if she tried to maintain that it was hers, I would ask the guy to talk to a seargant on my cell phone out of earshot of the female. Then I would approach the woman and tell her that the guy was bragging to his OTHER girlfriend about how this woman was taking the wrap for him. After she landed back on the ground she was usually pretty co-operative with me in telling me exactly where the drugs were from, who owned them, how much he had paid for them, etc. Good times.....
i love it.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stogie1020
That's what I'm talking about though - there's some specific laws as to who's legaly responsible. If the center console can't be locked (which it can't be) then everyone is responsible - at least that's what I've been told.

Here's something more urgent - this might be more a court type question:

I just got pulled over, not more than an hour ago, clocked at 75 in a 50. I figured I was fucked....well anyway, I couldn't find my up to date insurance card right away, so he goes back to his car to do his thing. I end up finding my insurance card while he's away, but when he comes back he only gives me a ticket for failure to produce insurance - the guy was obviously cutting me a huge break by only ticketing my for this and not the 25 mph over. Anyway, he said something about calling about the insurance ticket. Do I just have to go to court and show him that I am insured?

Nice cop though
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
On the way!

I had that happen to my here in FL. I only had an expired insurance card (I mean - who remembers to change those things out when the new one comes?!?). I showed proof of insurance at the clerks office and paid a $7 processing fee.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Looks like brakejob no longer lives...
Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

That's what I'm talking about though - there's some specific laws as to who's legaly responsible. If the center console can't be locked (which it can't be) then everyone is responsible - at least that's what I've been told.
Nope. In most jurisdictions, this would fall under the category of "case law", meaning that judges have typically ruled a certain way regarding questions of actual vs. implied possession, and future decisions are based upon those earlier rulings.

Since so much of criminal law is open for interpretation, past rulings play a huge role in decisions such as this.