Ask a cop anything v2.0 "brakejob lives"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
:brakejob:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treyster
Brakejob, I'm too lazy to search. Where have you been for the last year?? Cliff notes if you want
busy
Old 09-01-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by haiduc
How come 5 officers show up to pull someone over, but when some drunk b*aner throws a chair at my friends and I there is no officer dispached to the scene for almost 30 minutes?

Just a thought.
lots of different circumstances.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
Why is it not a law for officers to wear bullet proof vests while on duty? Especially undercover duty.
because it shouldn't be a law, just a good idea. a law would force us to do it all the time, and there are times when a vest would compromise us, like undercover duty
Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Just the facts...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by danny25
hypothetically if someone were to get stopped by a cop and given a jay walking ticket and they gave the cop wrong personal info would they be off the hook?

And what would a cop do if you refuse to sign a ticket?
providing false information to an officer is a crime itself.

and not signing the ticket means you go to jail.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by bkknight369
Do motorcycle cops not ride during the night?
no, they ride at night
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scottman111
This DUI talk has got me wondering... Is someone allowed to become a cop if they have a DUI? I've heard multiple things. I've heard if you get an "under 21" DUI, you can still become a cop. But if it's an "over 21" DUI, you can't.

I've always heard different things, but just wondering which is correct.

Anyone know? Thanks..
it's really all up to department policy... most will turn you away for a DUI, regardless of age. but there is no state law saying you cannot be a cop, unlike say, with a felony.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by KLepTo
ive met brakejob in person. hes my friend and in my car crew. I assure you 100% that he really is a cop. you should hear some of the stories he has to tell when we're sitting outside in-n-out until 3am (remember that)

anyways glad to see you back dan, thanks for the big help
hell yeah i remember that
Old 09-01-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by crazymjb
What seperates a "corrupt cop" from a "friendly cop." For example, I have a friend who knows a cop who is a coke dealer(I assume that is a corrupt cop), and then I have a friend who was pulled over for speeding without a licence or a licensed adult in the car(never got one, underage) and since the cop new his brother(a troublemaker) he was just advised to slow down. In addition, I have a friend who was pulled over when she was on her learners permit, at 1 AM, with friends in the car, and started crying and the cop let her off(Boston)... Do you draw the line with friendliness at some point...

Also, I have been on the highway before in the left lane where all the cars in sight are doing at least 85, do some cops pull random people out and over for that? Is "I was going with the flow of traffic" a reasonable response that would hold up in court against a ticket(for the 85 limit, though in FL on vacation my dad was going 95 and still getting passed).

Mike
As far as the difference between corrupt, friendly, etc... i don't quite know how to asnwer that... the difference between a corrupt cop and a regular cop is big. corrupt cops are shit and make all of us look bad. police weild an amazing amount of power, and if one of them is irresponsible with it then all of us look like corrupt/asshole cops.

As far as "friendly" as in discretion, yeah I draw the line. I like to think of myself as a peach. I have a softer outside that doesn't taste too bad, and you can nibble away at it and go free... but if you take too much, or you try to swallow the whole thing, you get a pit... I let far more people go than i cite, and i let people who CAN be arrested free because i feel they deserve another chance. But i also ticket people for everything wrong with their car, and will ruin someone's life by arresting them, removing their kids, etc... if they've done wrong. it all depends on so many factors... but yes, it's possible for someone to annoy/bother me enough that friendliness goes out the window

Flow of traffic is not a valid excuse... some cops will yank random cars out of the flow to try and slow everyone down.

regardless of the speed of the traffic, for the love of your wallet NEVER pass a police car unless you can do so at the speed limit or MAYBE 1-4mph over... as an officer nothing annoys me more than when I am going 75mph on the freeway with the other cars and someone passes me at 80.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by slayer202
you should see what PBA cards do. hell, one of those shields on your windshield that represent officer in immediate family will get you off just about anything except murder
not here, it's abused too much. we'll check you ID card and then let you go
Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DRM600
my comment was to suggest that he works for the sheriff's dept.
i don't like to say where I work, but if i was county i'd probably still be in the jails... and i'll make a disclaimer here that all these answers are personal opinion based on personal knowledge/experience, not the official view of my agency... and anyone who uses or follows the answers in this thread does so at their own risk

(i like my car/toys, please don't get me fired or sued)
Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i have been pulled over before for having a radar dector up near my windshield... and was given a ticket for obstruction of view... what is the law for having things on your dash (bobble heads) or like hanging a tassel on your rear view mirror...

i had the feeling that the cop could not give me a speeding ticket because my radar helped me, but gave me a different ticket instead...
Old 09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i have been pulled over before for having a radar dector up near my windshield... and was given a ticket for obstruction of view... what is the law for having things on your dash (bobble heads) or like hanging a tassel on your rear view mirror...

i had the feeling that the cop could not give me a speeding ticket because my radar helped me, but gave me a different ticket instead...
Drew,

The problem was the tassels were attached to the two boobies and the rest of the lovely lady on the dash/windshield, so maybe your view was obstructed
Old 09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks...

Thats all

Mike
Old 09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Don't you think a vest might be a bit of a tip-off??
Undercover does not necessarily mean having direct contact with suspects.

IE. Auto theft task force is considered undercover duty and there is not usually direct contact.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
so would you let off a fellow AZ member with a warning depending on the severity of the crime/violation?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

I find it such BS that cops hide to pull people over for speeding.

I am also very annoyed that municipalities treat tickets as revenue and encourage their officers to give out tickets. This is very popular in NJ as all the townships have their own force and rely on ticket revenue as if huge prop taxes are not enough. Total BS!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Work for a PD, most arent overfunded by any means. It costs a lot to run a law enforcment system. We hate any tactic cops use to take more of our money

Mike
Old 09-02-2006, 12:28 AM
yeah i'm bored.

Originally Posted by BigPimp
seriously? what do you see as the problem?

obviously if u see where they are, you can just slow down. of course i speed as well, but i know it's illegal and if i get caught i'll accept it. can't blame the cops for doing their job...
Old 09-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Rather than asking some ordinary Google Answer-like questions, I will ask some off-the-wall stuffs. These are the questions I've always been curious about but never thought about asking even when I do ride-alongs with my local P.D. Be prepared...

Here are my questions:

1. Have you seen this Video (Click Here) yet? This may be a bit far-fetched, but I can't seem to locate any information on this online. Do you by chance know anything about this or know of someone who may? I would like to know if this was real or not. If you don't have an answer on this, that's fine. It is what I've expected anyway. I just thought to give it a shot My real question is: Now that you've seen this video, what's the strangest/most bizarre/most disturbing/paranormal (if any) thing you've came across while on duty?

2. What is the escalation process for police agencies when you guys lock horns with heavily armed criminals? For example, if you were to run across someone in the likes of Osama Bin Laden while patrolling in your area (I know...I know...just bear with me) you first call for backups, then if that doesn't work you call for the S.W.A.T. but what's next after that? Has there ever been an incident in CA history that you know of where the S.W.A.T. was not able to handle?

3. When you’re outside of your jurisdiction area while driving your police vehicle, if you see someone speeding or running a light, do you have the authority to go after and ticket the individual? If not, what about coming across something that is blatantly illegal? (Like murder or drug dealing...whatever)

4. In the same scenario, if you were speeding on the CA freeway that is out of your jurisdiction area while in a police car, technically does the C.H.P. have the rights to pull you over? Has that kind of shit ever happen before that you know of?

Lastly, this one is for the mods, admins and mega admins:

WHY CAN'T WE STICKY THIS GUY'S THREADS ALREADY? Both Volumes. This is something unique to this forum that is guaranteed to be love by anyone that comes across our community.

Ok, thanks for your time. Stick around Brakejob. This community loves you
Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM

you can't have anything obstruct the field of view, which does include tassels on the mirror...

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any
object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied
upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or
material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or
upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear
view through the windshield or side windows.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
so would you let off a fellow AZ member with a warning depending on the severity of the crime/violation?
maybe
Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigPimp

I am also very annoyed that municipalities treat tickets as revenue and encourage their officers to give out tickets. This is very popular in NJ as all the townships have their own force and rely on ticket revenue as if huge prop taxes are not enough. Total BS!
regardless of whether or not they should be hiding and waiting, the biggest point of the argument is that they'd be ineffective if people just drove the speed limit.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:52 AM

Work for a PD, most arent overfunded by any means. It costs a lot to run a law enforcment system. We hate any tactic cops use to take more of our money

Mike
every agency here is severly underfunded, like sfpd has 200 vacant positions...
Old 09-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by brakejob
maybe
There are no hot women on this site.....
Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by SoCAL ACURA909
Rather than asking some ordinary Google Answer-like questions, I will ask some off-the-wall stuffs. These are the questions I've always been curious about but never thought about asking even when I do ride-alongs with my local P.D. Be prepared...

Here are my questions:

1. Have you seen this Video (Click Here) yet? This may be a bit far-fetched, but I can't seem to locate any information on this online. Do you by chance know anything about this or know of someone who may? I would like to know if this was real or not. If you don't have an answer on this, that's fine. It is what I've expected anyway. I just thought to give it a shot My real question is: Now that you've seen this video, what's the strangest/most bizarre/most disturbing/paranormal (if any) thing you've came across while on duty?

2. What is the escalation process for police agencies when you guys lock horns with heavily armed criminals? For example, if you were to run across someone in the likes of Osama Bin Laden while patrolling in your area (I know...I know...just bear with me) you first call for backups, then if that doesn't work you call for the S.W.A.T. but what's next after that? Has there ever been an incident in CA history that you know of where the S.W.A.T. was not able to handle?

3. When you’re outside of your jurisdiction area while driving your police vehicle, if you see someone speeding or running a light, do you have the authority to go after and ticket the individual? If not, what about coming across something that is blatantly illegal? (Like murder or drug dealing...whatever)

4. In the same scenario, if you were speeding on the CA freeway that is out of your jurisdiction area while in a police car, technically does the C.H.P. have the rights to pull you over? Has that kind of shit ever happen before that you know of?

Lastly, this one is for the mods, admins and mega admins:

WHY CAN'T WE STICKY THIS GUY'S THREADS ALREADY? Both Volumes. This is something unique to this forum that is guaranteed to be love by anyone that comes across our community.

Ok, thanks for your time. Stick around Brakejob. This community loves you
alright, let me get a beer for this one, i have a feeling it's gonna take a while

1)Nah, we've all seen it here but we haven't heard anything more than what the internet knows.... i've never had a ghost car but i've seen plenty of dead bodies of various ages, thats easily the most distrubing... well, that and having to search cemetaries at 2am for people...

2)An officer doesn't call for SWAT, thats a decision for higher ups. Take for instance a barricaded suspect who is in his house. The officer would try to get the guy to come out, with backup, maybe by knocking on the door and trying to sound nice. then the barricaded suspect shows his intent ("fuck you im not coming out and i have a gun etc...)... the officer would maintain a perimeter and call a sergeant, who would take over and most likely call in the SWAT guys and perhaps some negotiators depending...

I can't think of an incident SWAT would not be able to handle, the only power above what they can project is something like the national guard with tanks and whatnot. The FBI SWAT teams are somewhat identical to PD SWAT teams in terms of training and firepower, so there really isn't a situation the SWAT guys can't handle without calling in the army.

3) I already answered this. I have authority as a peace officer anywhere in the state, for a ticket or a murder. Jurisdiction is misunderstood...

4) Again remove jurisdiction because it doesn't apply here. A patrol car not responding to something "Code 3" is not exempt from the vehicle code. Any cop could pull another speeding cop car over, even two cops of the same department.

But no one in their right mind would ever do that...
Old 09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SoCAL ACURA909
I think we have some idea of how things are handled. For instance, in this thread an AZine member was accidentally shot by an AK-47 wielding terrorist. Considering that the terrorist didn't have enough money to reimburse the guy for the damage to his truck, the officer confiscated the terrorist's weapon and gave it to the guy who got shot as as fair compensation.

^^Things like that happen all the time.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Brakejob & SpeedyV6, thank you for the prompt response
Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
providing false information to an officer is a crime itself.
yes, but would the person be off the hook?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
There are not many hot women on this site anymore
fixed

In Cali post South Hollywood you guys carry high powered rifles in your trunks right?

Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by danny25
yes, but would the person be off the hook?
probably, unless the officer recognizes him somewhere else and then busts him... plus for most people we are not content with someone's word... we will verify it on the spot...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 PM

fixed

In Cali post South Hollywood you guys carry high powered rifles in your trunks right?

Mike
yeah, most agencies started carrying ar-15s or similar... and some went with mp5's since they're more urban...
Old 09-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Hey Brakejob, you still working or retired? I recently (year ago) left an Arizona County S.O. after ten years for private sector work. Willing to chime in on AZ laws and methods if your typing fingers get tired! Stay safe.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
it's really all up to department policy... most will turn you away for a DUI, regardless of age. but there is no state law saying you cannot be a cop, unlike say, with a felony.
Ah, I see. Thanks again.

And for the record, I don't have any DUI's nor do I plan on being a cop, but I've always wondered if it was on the same level as a felony (which you answered )
Old 09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

But do MP5s really have stopping power against any heavy armor? Do they come in more than just a 9mm Variant?

Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

This made me think of another question...

If you pull someone over for say, speeding, and they happen to have a radar detector...does that affect your decision to give/not give them a ticket? What I mean is, does that change your attitude about the person at all?? Thanks again...
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Drifting

But do MP5s really have stopping power against any heavy armor? Do they come in more than just a 9mm Variant?

Mike
i believe that mp5s are available in 10mm. i think the fbi uses them.

depending on the level of body armor, the 9mm round will not be as effective as say, the 5.56 round of an ar-15. in a fire fight against someone wearing body armor, i'd prefer a rifle over a subgun.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Exactly... I know my friend had fired a 9MM MP5, so I knew they at least came in that. And I know whatever the cops were using against those guys was at least 9MM, possibly higher, and had no effect on them. So the step up to an assualt weapon using 5.56 made sense.

Mike
Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CLean B
do i need to travel with a lock on my 9mm now? (of course i know not loaded and ammo in a different area of the vehicle)
since brakejob didn't answer this well, i'll chime in.

you don't need a lock.

when traveling in ca with a handgun, it must be unloaded and in a locked container. a vehicle's trunk (if separate and lockable) qualifies as a locked container, but not any compartment in the cabin (glove box, console, etc.) hell, a backpack with a padlock qualifies. the regulations do not specify what type of container other than locked.

the problem with using the trunk as the locked container is, what about when you are loading or unloading the firearm in it? just make sure you have a separate locked container.

the magazines can be loaded, but cannot be attached in any manner to the handgun. unless, of course, one is a documented gang member. in that case, possesion of a loaded magazine by a gang member is a crime and is treated as a weapons charge (i.e. felon in possesion of a firearm.)

oh, and one can only travel to and from legal activities while transporting a handgun. examples are: to and from the range, competition, hunting or fishing trip, etc. you can't have a handgun as a trunk gun.

fyi, these can be applied to registered assault weapons as well.

look up the cadoj website for the regs in pdf format.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Hey Brakejob, you still working or retired? I recently (year ago) left an Arizona County S.O. after ten years for private sector work. Willing to chime in on AZ laws and methods if your typing fingers get tired! Stay safe.
still working, i've only been on about 5 years... chime on in the more the better

Quick Reply: Ask a cop anything v2.0 "brakejob lives"