Ask a Cop Anything™

Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM
:brakejob:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Are the steel (or other material) collapsing batons legal to carry in your car and or own?

What about carrying pepper spray in the car for self defense?

Thanks
California Law

No

Yes

Old 08-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Hall of Famer

You should start a website!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:33 PM
#include

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love this thread.

The scenario (in Minnesota):

My car is parked in a parking lot, I'm in the store. I come out of the store, and a fellow flags me down to tell me someone hit my parked car. I check, and sure enough there is a scuff all the way across my rear quarter. The fellow who informed me pointed the offending vehicle out, so I knew who had done it. I promptly called the police.

The people who owned the car that had hit mine came out, got in their vehicle, and were about to leave. I knew the police were on their way, so I flagged them down and confronted them. The fellow who was driving was apologetic, let me write down his licence and insurance information.

As I was finishing up writing this all down, the police arrived. They asked for my story in one spot, and the other fellows a distance away. I really didn't have a lot to tell, so my story was done in a snap. The other fellow however was off on what appeared to be a long winded story. During the story he reached into his car, and produced a new drivers licence, and insurance card.

Turns out he gave me a fake/stolen licence, and he had no insurance. The officer informed me I could turn it in to my insurance if I felt repairs were needed. As he was telling me this, the offender drove away. I asked what sort of ticket he had recieved for all of this, and the officer replied that no violations had occured. He indicated that because I had stopped them that it was no longer a hit and run.

What constitutes a hit and run?
Is giving out fake name/insurance really legal?
Is fining for no insurance really up to officer discretion?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nykor
Love this thread.

The scenario (in Minnesota):

My car is parked in a parking lot, I'm in the store. I come out of the store, and a fellow flags me down to tell me someone hit my parked car. I check, and sure enough there is a scuff all the way across my rear quarter. The fellow who informed me pointed the offending vehicle out, so I knew who had done it. I promptly called the police.

The people who owned the car that had hit mine came out, got in their vehicle, and were about to leave. I knew the police were on their way, so I flagged them down and confronted them. The fellow who was driving was apologetic, let me write down his licence and insurance information.

As I was finishing up writing this all down, the police arrived. They asked for my story in one spot, and the other fellows a distance away. I really didn't have a lot to tell, so my story was done in a snap. The other fellow however was off on what appeared to be a long winded story. During the story he reached into his car, and produced a new drivers licence, and insurance card.

Turns out he gave me a fake/stolen licence, and he had no insurance. The officer informed me I could turn it in to my insurance if I felt repairs were needed. As he was telling me this, the offender drove away. I asked what sort of ticket he had recieved for all of this, and the officer replied that no violations had occured. He indicated that because I had stopped them that it was no longer a hit and run.

What constitutes a hit and run?
Is giving out fake name/insurance really legal?
Is fining for no insurance really up to officer discretion?
well that cop is a fucking idiot, assuming the laws are at least somewhat similar...

If it were me that asshole would be going to jail for providing you with false identification... thats fucking bullshit!

sorry man...

Hit and run = when the offender flees the scene w/o taking responsibilty or attempting to contact the owner... basically...

No, its fucking illegal to false represent for personal gain (i.e. get out of paying you) as well as using false information...

Most everything is up to officer discretion... even like murder, but letting someone go would, how should I say it, be really really fucking stupid??
Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm doing something wrong with some friends, and the cops arrive on the scene, if shout out really loud "Federal Agent undercover", will that buy a few seconds to get a head start?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by GINge!
If I'm doing something wrong with some friends, and the cops arrive on the scene, if shout out really loud "Federal Agent undercover", will that buy a few seconds to get a head start?
rofl... no, because no one working undercover would do that...
Old 08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This may be a retarded question, but how do cops get away with having illegal vehicles? I mean actually cop cars that have limo tints all around. Isn't that kinda backwards that they can get away with it, but Joe Shmoe can't?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
This may be a retarded question, but how do cops get away with having illegal vehicles? I mean actually cop cars that have limo tints all around. Isn't that kinda backwards that they can get away with it, but Joe Shmoe can't?
because there are exemption codes in the vehicle code for police vehicles... limo tint on some for instance is for the protection of victims/suspects/politicians/etc...
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Ok, after spending 2 days at work going through 28 pages of Q&A, I think this is by far one of the best thread on this forum. THANK YOU Brakejob! Here are my questions:

1. I came up with this question after reading a few reponses you've made regarding stupid laws that you don't personally agree with, but you have to enforce them since it is your job. Can you name a few of them? Isn't it difficult to enforce things you don't personally believe in? Just curious.

2. This may be dumb, but I'll get straight to the point. What are the differences as far job responsibilties are concerned between a:

a) U.S. Marshal
b) A Sgt.
c) SWAT
d) Gang Unit
e) FBI/CIA Agent

I mean, who makes the determination as to which of the above enforcement to contact when it comes to dealing with different type of crimes. Also, as a police officer, what is the highest position you're able to obtain? Becoming a U.S. Marshal? If you don't have the answer for it, are there any websites you can point out that depicts all of the law enforcement agencies out there?

3. Last but not least, I've been on 2 separate police ride-alongs before. One with the LAPD & the other with my local police department. To say the least, the LAPD one sucked since I had to ride with a SGT., and as far as I know, the Sgt. does not show up to a crime scene till everything is done and over with. Are there any progams available for citizens who are interested on becoming a cop to go out with police officers to visit actual crime scenes?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCAL ACURA909
3. Last but not least, I've been on 2 separate police ride-alongs before. One with the LAPD & the other with my local police department. To say the least, the LAPD one sucked since I had to ride with a SGT., and as far as I know, the Sgt. does not show up to a crime scene till everything is done and over with. Are there any progams available for citizens who are interested on becoming a cop to go out with police officers to visit actual crime scenes?

Thanks in advance!
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its more about insurance and safety risks, as well as they don't want someone messing with a crime scene or what not, then them not wanting you to experience what being a cop is like.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

^^^ Look Chief, I'm waiting for answers from the real cop. Not some Net-Patrol who's going out of limb with his answers..........................jk !!!!!!

Yeah, you're right. That was my guess too. But, comparing the two ride-alongs that I've been on, the LAPD sucked terribly. The one with my local PD, the officer actually took me to some spots where they often pull people over for speeding and what nots. Visited a domestic violence call and took the time to explain what my neighborhood is like. The SGT. I rode with in LAPD took me to the roof of their parking structure and overlooked the whole city while he was smoking a cig waiting for reports to come in. Which makes me wonder:

Do you guys actually enjoy taking citizens on ride-alongs?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:03 AM

Ok, after spending 2 days at work going through 28 pages of Q&A, I think this is by far one of the best thread on this forum. THANK YOU Brakejob! Here are my questions:

1. I came up with this question after reading a few reponses you've made regarding stupid laws that you don't personally agree with, but you have to enforce them since it is your job. Can you name a few of them? Isn't it difficult to enforce things you don't personally believe in? Just curious.

2. This may be dumb, but I'll get straight to the point. What are the differences as far job responsibilties are concerned between a:

a) U.S. Marshal
b) A Sgt.
c) SWAT
d) Gang Unit
e) FBI/CIA Agent

I mean, who makes the determination as to which of the above enforcement to contact when it comes to dealing with different type of crimes. Also, as a police officer, what is the highest position you're able to obtain? Becoming a U.S. Marshal? If you don't have the answer for it, are there any websites you can point out that depicts all of the law enforcement agencies out there?

Thanks in advance!
1) It's not a huge conflict... a few of the laws are probably where I said they we're "weak" or "chickenshit", like busting for no front plate or something... nothing better to do... they're good laws but the "spirit" is better than the "letter"... essentially no front plate is GREAT for stopping a car you really want for something like drugs or something, but writing a ticket just for that is kinda meh...

2a) Enforce Federal Laws, watch federal prisoners, etc.... Not a traditional cop, cannot enforce state law, etc...
2b) Sergeant, a promoted Officer/Corporal/Deputy/Trooper, etc... more admin functions...
2c) SWAT is as special unit designed to handle "nasty" situations with superior weapons, armor, and tactics... the "break in the room get the dude" guys... usually comprised of officers/deputies/troopers who normally work their regular positions...
2d) Gang units, when they exist, are usually units designed to combat gang crime... simple, eh..?
2e) FBI = federal bureau of investigation, enforce and investigate federal laws... CIA, well, thats all about national security and intelligence...

The "determinations" are made on a huge variety of circumstances... bank robbery? call the FBI because federal laws and codes have also been broken... murder, we handle it... Barricaded Suspect? call swat if officers can't get the idiot to come out safely... transport a federal suspect? call US marshals... etc... A Sergeant is an admin, and it's not his/her job to handle the line duties... something big happens usually a sergeant takes over and oversees the job...

The highest you can rise depends on the agency, but you will stay within your jurisdiction. The United States has Federal laws and State laws, as we all know... State law enforcement officers enforce State Law, Federal officers enforce Federal Law. An SF Cop can't become a US Marshal because they're very different laws and very very very different agencies... An SF Cop can promote through the ranks to whatever is below Chief, since Chief is appointed by the mayor... Deputies can rise to whatever Assistant Sheriff positions there are directly under the Sheriff, since the Sheriff is elected by the people in the county... Etc... you stay within your own agency, unless you get hired on by someone else...

3) there are plenty of programs, sorry you got a Sergeant... next time just go out with a patrolman... but not every night is there a big crime scene or something, policework does involve a lot of boring, cold, paperwork...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its more about insurance and safety risks, as well as they don't want someone messing with a crime scene or what not, then them not wanting you to experience what being a cop is like.
yeah, ride-a-longs are not allowed to go to hot calls for that exact reason...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 AM

^^^ Look Chief, I'm waiting for answers from the real cop. Not some Net-Patrol who's going out of limb with his answers..........................jk !!!!!!

Yeah, you're right. That was my guess too. But, comparing the two ride-alongs that I've been on, the LAPD sucked terribly. The one with my local PD, the officer actually took me to some spots where they often pull people over for speeding and what nots. Visited a domestic violence call and took the time to explain what my neighborhood is like. The SGT. I rode with in LAPD took me to the roof of their parking structure and overlooked the whole city while he was smoking a cig waiting for reports to come in. Which makes me wonder:

Do you guys actually enjoy taking citizens on ride-alongs?
not usually... unless the ride along is cool
Old 08-10-2005, 12:50 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
answer this please
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...63#post4308463
Old 08-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Thank you Brakejob for the answers!
Old 08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brakejob
yeah, ride-a-longs are not allowed to go to hot calls for that exact reason...
I was a ride along with the RCMP and we got into a pursuit, 100km/h+ on city streets, jumping railroad tracks , running lights etc. Was he just showing off?

BTW, I was gritting my teeth & shit scared the whole time. Do cops actually like high speed chases?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
dun
Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GINge!
I was a ride along with the RCMP and we got into a pursuit, 100km/h+ on city streets, jumping railroad tracks , running lights etc. Was he just showing off?

BTW, I was gritting my teeth & shit scared the whole time. Do cops actually like high speed chases?
he may not have had backup nearby, or it may be the difference between canada and Lawsuit land aka California...

I love them, they're fun but very scary and very stressful... so much to pay attention to, you try driving 80mph in a 45 calling out each street, your direction, your speed, traffic and weather conditions, watching for idiot drivers/pedestrians, etc...
Old 08-10-2005, 04:49 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

can we rename :cop: smiley to
Old 08-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
can we rename :cop: smiley to
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Has there been any incidences where citizens actually die from police ride-alongs?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 PM

Has there been any incidences where citizens actually die from police ride-alongs?
i've heard of them, and I know of an incident where a citizen was seriously injured in a car crash while going to a hot call....
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you ever pulled someone over for no reason just because she was drop dead gorgeous and you wanted to talk to her? Or, have you let a woman off without giving a ticket just because she was great looking?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

where did he go???

me and my friend are considering becoming cops, we are both SF natives. what college requirement do i need? should i do the 4 years and then try for SFPD?

how is the lie detector test. i tried mushrooms once, would this make me ineligible for SFPD?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
back from the dead this thread be
Old 11-28-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Marlboro27s
where did he go????
Can always try PM'ing him.

EDIT: Last Activity: 10-11-2005 7:32 PM
Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

he sold his TL... and got a Z... might want to ask about him BAYAREA MEET THREAD and some one might have more info on him.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
HOOK EM HORNS

Originally Posted by brakejob
nope, just as long as your within specs for the agency time wise... they vary agency to agency, but average is like 6months from pot use, 2 years from coke/crack/meth(non injected)/x, 4-6 years for injected drugs, and never for LSD/PCP/Shrooms...

having arrests for these screws you up of course, and any felonies are an instant no (can't carry a gun as a felon in california)

they expect people to be trying things these days, just dont do them ever again
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Master in Science

Great thread!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I talked to Dan the other day. Hes in TX right now doing some work, he didnt get a chance to even get his Z. Dunno when he'll be back.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlukja
Have you ever pulled someone over for no reason just because she was drop dead gorgeous and you wanted to talk to her? Or, have you let a woman off without giving a ticket just because she was great looking?
There's nothing wrong with that