Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Wanting to pick up an RSX project car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Wanting to pick up an RSX project car...

Hey Azine! I actually already have a 2gen TSX but I've got an itch for a project car on the side. A "side-ho" if you will. I've always wanted to build up a Civic or Integra properly but now that it's years later and funding is looking better, I want an RSX. I'm leaning heavily towards 05-06 but I would settle for an 02-04 since the exterior conversion is possible too. I'd probably just avoid that and grab an 05-06 though.

I'm finding decent deals on both trims but of course the lowest price is for the base. I'm planning for a K24 swap and a Civic Si LSD transmission.

Question: With the swaps that I already have in mind, would I be missing out if I grabbed a base instead of a Type-S?

Thanks, friends.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Nothing, huh?

I'm more specifically asking about the little differences. Like the features of one vs the other.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while since I worked at Acura, but when I did, it was during the refresh year of the RSX. The differences other than drivetrain between the two are things like leather, stereo, exhaust, tires and I think the brake sizes are different too. So it's things you either would already swap out or don't care about. They came with different wheels too, but again, doubt that's a big deal. The main difference was really the motors and transmission (base can come in auto) but since you're swapping it's a moot point.
The following users liked this post:
I C U 2 back there (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

That's pretty much what I'm after. It'll be a project car but I don't plan to gut it. True, I would be swapping out most of the drivetrain but I like the option of being able to put the K20 head on the K24 block if I want to. Exhaust, tires, and brakes are a moot points as well but the interior is something I'd rather just leave alone. I'm guessing the gauges are the same too?

Anybody have an opinion on the Si LSD trans vs an aftermarket unit?

Seems like I won't miss too on too much if I get a base
Old 03-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I am a handling junkie, so I would pick a honda/acura with double wishbone suspension in front and double wishbone/multi-link rear.

Crx, DC2 integra, s2000, etc. Would be my choices.

The rsx has mac strut front suspension. These suspension types are cheaper for acura and easier to package, but lose out from performance standpoint.

I bet RSX has cheaper and easier to package torsion beam rear suspension you see on cheap fwd domestic cars. Honda really has gone downhill, but consumer demand for cheaper vehicles forced their hand. Blame consumers as much as honda, not to mention buyers don't know difference and think they are just getting a cheaper car without knowing suspension is worse.

So suspension geometry is not ideal, but it has lots of aftermarket support being a car offered in Japan.

How important is handling to you? Do you plan to autocross or track car?

What LSD depends on what you plan on using car for. For street driving that is a good choice. For autocross or track, there are better options.

You should check out clubrsx.com.

Keep in mind the newer the honda/acura is the worse they get from build and material quality, to suspension geometry, to now they use cast into heads exhaust manifolds to save cost and be better for emissions with heating up cat faster.

Acura/Honda used to build best performance fwd cars, now they build only commuter cars.

Even the new NSX you can tell was designed and built by bean counters. The lead designer is an attractive blonde female who knows very little about cars/racing. No wonder new NSX looks so bad and has no resemblance to original.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but thought I'd warn you.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I C U 2 back there (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brian6speed
I am a handling junkie, so I would pick a honda/acura with double wishbone suspension in front and double wishbone/multi-link rear.

Crx, DC2 integra, s2000, etc. Would be my choices.

The rsx has mac strut front suspension. These suspension types are cheaper for acura and easier to package, but lose out from performance standpoint.

I bet RSX has cheaper and easier to package torsion beam rear suspension you see on cheap fwd domestic cars. Honda really has gone downhill, but consumer demand for cheaper vehicles forced their hand. Blame consumers as much as honda, not to mention buyers don't know difference and think they are just getting a cheaper car without knowing suspension is worse.

So suspension geometry is not ideal, but it has lots of aftermarket support being a car offered in Japan.

How important is handling to you? Do you plan to autocross or track car?

What LSD depends on what you plan on using car for. For street driving that is a good choice. For autocross or track, there are better options.

You should check out clubrsx.com.

Keep in mind the newer the honda/acura is the worse they get from build and material quality, to suspension geometry, to now they use cast into heads exhaust manifolds to save cost and be better for emissions with heating up cat faster.

Acura/Honda used to build best performance fwd cars, now they build only commuter cars.

Even the new NSX you can tell was designed and built by bean counters. The lead designer is an attractive blonde female who knows very little about cars/racing. No wonder new NSX looks so bad and has no resemblance to original.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but thought I'd warn you.
So you prompted me to go research a little more on suspension and why double wishbone and all the camber under cornering loads it can give you is ideal for a car to see on the track... and yes that's where I eventually want to take it. Road racing, autoX... not really interested in straight line though I'd still want it to be quick.

I'd more than love an s2000 but I'm just wanting something that's fun and on the cheaper side to build on. I got out of a 350z because the thing was so expensive to modify and the car didn't respond well to mods anyways (short of turbo which is anywhere around $6k+). I know you gotta pay to play but an S2k is much more expensive for parts (OEM and aftermarket) than any generation integra or civic... than again, the S2k is an amazing platform to build on.

I feel like something is missing not having a car to tinker with sitting in my garage though. Decisions decisions... would consider a Miata too now that I think about it.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by I C U 2 back there
So you prompted me to go research a little more on suspension and why double wishbone and all the camber under cornering loads it can give you is ideal for a car to see on the track... and yes that's where I eventually want to take it. Road racing, autoX... not really interested in straight line though I'd still want it to be quick.

I'd more than love an s2000 but I'm just wanting something that's fun and on the cheaper side to build on. I got out of a 350z because the thing was so expensive to modify and the car didn't respond well to mods anyways (short of turbo which is anywhere around $6k+). I know you gotta pay to play but an S2k is much more expensive for parts (OEM and aftermarket) than any generation integra or civic... than again, the S2k is an amazing platform to build on.

I feel like something is missing not having a car to tinker with sitting in my garage though. Decisions decisions... would consider a Miata too now that I think about it.
There are many good honda options besides S2000 that are fwd. Civic, CRX, Integra, Prelude, TSX, 03 CLS6 (my autocross and track car), 3rd gen TL, etc.

I personally have always wanted to build a DC2 integra (GSR cheaper than type r), Crx, or miata. Those are all great choices.