Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Sensor leaking oil - can't tell what it is

Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sensor leaking oil - can't tell what it is

Hi,

I have 2002 RSX base model which is leaking fluid which looks like oil from a sensor. I am not sure what this sensor is, but it is located on the passenger side and is located below valve cover. I am including and picture where the part is circled in red.

Background on why the interest: the oil (liquid) is dripping on the serpentine belt and is making it squeak. Squeaking goes away eventually (15-20 min of city driving). I have replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner pulley to no avail thinking squeaking was driven by lack of mechanical force. Given the fact that noise goes away after about 15-20 min of driving, and given a mechanic I trust and deem honest, could not identify anything wrong with the tensioner system, only hypothesis left is that this sensor is leaking oil (liquid), dripping on the belt, and causing the belt to slip and squeak. Hence, I would like to replace the leaky sensor to eliminate the noise, in addition to the fact there is enough oil (liquid) accumulating and dripping on the ground - not something I want in the driveway.

I would appreciate any help in identifying the part and understanding if the oil (liquid) leaking is something I can repair or would need a new part. It is located in the gloriously great location for work.
Attached Thumbnails Sensor leaking oil - can't tell what it is-acura_rsx_engine_side_annotated.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
That part is the VTC Oil Control Valve Assembly, P/N 15830-PNC-003. If the valve itself is leaking around the connector, it may need to be replaced. There is also an o-ring to seal it to the head, P/N 15832-PNA-023. If you are lucky, this o-ring might have failed and it is an inexpensive fix. If it is the valve, an aftermarket replacement can be found for under $20. To remove it, remove the retaining bolt and then twist back and forth as you pull it out.
The following users liked this post:
rsxuser (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 PM
4th Gear

Thank you!!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

Part ordered - will see if this fixes my squeaky issue.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear

Oil on Serpentine Belt

Currently dealing with an '04 TL which my mechanic just informed that a leaky oil pump is what's causing my serpentine belt to "chirp." I've gone through 3 serp. belt replacements, and 2 tensioners in the past 12 mo. before this was realized. I was just quoted at $1500 for the repairing of the oil pump - does this sound right? I've already spent over $900 in previous (and unbeknownst to me, temporary) fixes, and just want to make sure this last $1500 is the right thing to do. Thanks for any insight.

Search this Thread