Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

2002 rsx rpm malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 rsx rpm malfunction

My 2002 rsx has a problem newly aquired it will run and reach redline through all shifts for a few minutes but then it will stop off at 4000 rpms at every shift acting like it's reached its red limiter and I just took it to AutoZone and had it tested... it read oxygen sensor malfunction which is simple but most conserning was the one reading vtech system malfuntion so I'm at a stand still in what to do cause I'm not sure if that means it needs the injectors cleaned or what exactly that entales so please someone if you know what the problem is let me know cause my type-s is my baby and plan to build it up for a you or maybe even track car but either way it'll be like holding onto a raging bull when I'm finished that is assuming I can fix the problem... thank you and God bless!!!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
It sounds like the ECU is running in "limp mode" due to a malfunction in order to protect the engine. Post the OBD2 scan codes and then search them on the Internet. VTEC has to do with valve timing. It could be as simple as being low on oil or it could be in the VTEC actuator.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible the Vtec solenoid is bad? I had a code P2649 on my '06 base and had the part 15810-raa-a03 valve assembly spool replaced.