usdmJON's 2013 ILX build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by roversix
Sounds good. I''ll post pics when I deem mine worthy to present to the interwebz. BTW ilxforums.com seem like a ghost town now... Oh well. Your car and Slaammedilx give me hope that this can be tastefully modded... And not... Well, you know, end up looking cheaper than stock. (Think this has happened to people with even the best intentions.)
haha for sure man. Id urge you to start a progress thread now. If anything just so you can have rough dates and pictures of your progress. If you can keep track of that yourself that's awesome but I also like the feedback from different users when I change something. Ive made changes and choices based on opinions of others and so far been happy with the outcome each time.

Yeah the other forum is dead. I go back there once every couple months to tell the new users to venture on over here.

Id have to agree on some looking cheaper than the car originally looked but Id say that about anyone that blacked out the chrome trim. Eh. To each their own. Im more than happy with everyone blacking out there chrome. Makes me love mine more.

If you are on IG check out Loso_ILX or something like that. First bagged ILX Ive seen, and first to make me jealous wheel wise. As well you mentioned Aaron's ILX which I love. I feel like it is the opposite of what I want with my ILX. His being becauseracecar and mine becauseluxurycar. Id love to see a shoot with both cars once Im headed more in the VIP direction. Best of both worlds.

Also OSU's ILX is great performance wise. Jealous over OSU and Aaron's ILX there. Aside from them I wish people would do a little more work but people are getting there!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Hot damn, ilxluv, I don't visit the forums for half a year and I come back and see this sexy beast. Well done, Sir. Also, I am about to get some 18x8 wheels with a +35 offset. I'll be lowering with eibach's pro kit springs (won't go as low as your h&r's). How much room you got back there in your rear wheel wells if you don't mind me asking?
I would recommend you just get the H&R's. Slightly lower is still better. I have No driving issues with Swift springs which is very conservative at only about 1.2 drop. Just get the extra . 3 inches man LOL. You probably will still want to go lower eventually anyway, this will calm your nerves and give a better fix for a while. The Civic SI sets from Eibach are basically the same as the ILX and a few people complained of squeaky/ noisy springs. Also go 19 brah. fo' dem hoes mang... yeaaaaa

Last car meet I went to, i told people I was gonna remove the chrome door lining once I get door visors and get the car detailed. Some people were like "Yea, i think it'll look better without it" but then others were like "WHAT?! REALLY?! But it adds to the overall look?!" So some minor cosmetic things, seem not so minor to some people. Big look change either way.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 10-22-2014 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roversix (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:20 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super clean, bro!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aomechmarine
I would recommend you just get the H&R's. Slightly lower is still better. I have No driving issues with Swift springs which is very conservative at only about 1.2 drop. Just get the extra . 3 inches man LOL. You probably will still want to go lower eventually anyway, this will calm your nerves and give a better fix for a while. The Civic SI sets from Eibach are basically the same as the ILX and a few people complained of squeaky/ noisy springs. Also go 19 brah. fo' dem hoes mang... yeaaaaa

Last car meet I went to, i told people I was gonna remove the chrome door lining once I get door visors and get the car detailed. Some people were like "Yea, i think it'll look better without it" but then others were like "WHAT?! REALLY?! But it adds to the overall look?!" So some minor cosmetic things, seem not so minor to some people. Big look change either way.
Hmmm, I might consider jumping on the H&R's. I see that the rear drop isn't drastically lower than the Eibach's. Rear rubbing was the only thing that worried me; well, aside from scraping the front but that struggle is real for all lowered Honda/Acura cars. Lol.

I considered 19's but I remember my 350z which had 19's. Every small pot hole and slight bump on the road was a tiger uppercut to the jaw and spine. No doubt it would look boss but I'd want more tire sidewall than 19's would allow.

Man, keep the chrome if you like it. Black and gray cars, IMO can get away with more chrome than any other color.

Now let me exit this thread; don't want to jack attention away from the awesomeness that is usdmjon's ILX. Oh, all advice is welcome once I start a build thread. I'm thick skinned; even harsh critique helps more than pretending to like things that I do... (I once almost put altezza tail lights on my SI)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

@jccdc
Thank you!
How are you enjoying your ILX?

Hmmm, I might consider jumping on the H&R's. I see that the rear drop isn't drastically lower than the Eibach's. Rear rubbing was the only thing that worried me; well, aside from scraping the front but that struggle is real for all lowered Honda/Acura cars. Lol.

I considered 19's but I remember my 350z which had 19's. Every small pot hole and slight bump on the road was a tiger uppercut to the jaw and spine. No doubt it would look boss but I'd want more tire sidewall than 19's would allow.

Man, keep the chrome if you like it. Black and gray cars, IMO can get away with more chrome than any other color.

Now let me exit this thread; don't want to jack attention away from the awesomeness that is usdmjon's ILX. Oh, all advice is welcome once I start a build thread. I'm thick skinned; even harsh critique helps more than pretending to like things that I do... (I once almost put altezza tail lights on my SI)
hahaha I'll happily critique your ride. I like the same constructive criticism. It's important to me since I really enjoy a lot of different styles, so I can go with a few altered looks all I'll be happy with. But id like to see what turns the most heads; hence the criticism is helpful.

And dont worry you can post as much here as you want. In the end its just some free thread bumps. LOL

H&R springs are great. I cant complain about them.
I will be going with coilovers as the new years comes around. I wont be selling my springs however. I'll just store them along with the OEM ones.

Also agree on the 19s verse 18s. 19s look great but you'll feel the difference... that is also dependent on the tires but 19s obvious will have lower profile rubber making a harsher ride.
Id be willing to go 19s when Im on airbags. I feel the plusher suspension may make up for the smaller tires.
Until then Ill stay 18, go lower and wider.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:36 PM
9th Gear

@usdmJON I'm lovin the new ride just not in love with all the body roll but I guess that's expected coming from an RSX and going to an ILX. Hoping to throw some strut bars and braces on within a couple weeks. Do you guys know anyone rolling on 9 or 9.5in wide wheels without having to roll/pull the fenders?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jccdc
@usdmJON I'm lovin the new ride just not in love with all the body roll but I guess that's expected coming from an RSX and going to an ILX. Hoping to throw some strut bars and braces on within a couple weeks. Do you guys know anyone rolling on 9 or 9.5in wide wheels without having to roll/pull the fenders?
Not sure what work was done but I know SlammedILX has 9.5 +22 all around. I believe pockets has 9.5 in the rear. Not sure if anyone is running 9.
I believe slammedilx has his fenders rolled.
I'd think 18x9 +25 or higher with 215 series tires you'll be good with h&r.
9.5 +40 doesn't need rolling but it hits the struts on the inside. +35 will clear but not sure if fenders need rolling.

As for the body roll grab a rear sway bar and see how you feel.
jccdc (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
It will depend on Tire Size as well. 225/40 will rub guaranteed with a 9 or 9.5". Could likely get away with a 215 but with that wide of a wheel might look a little funny though, wheel will stick out a ways from the tire. I have 225/40/R18 with the H&R springs and I rub maybe once or twice a day but not bad. 225 on a 9inch wheel would look really good on the h&r springs with the fenders rolled. On my wish list right now
jccdc (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OSUBeaver
It will depend on Tire Size as well. 225/40 will rub guaranteed with a 9 or 9.5". Could likely get away with a 215 but with that wide of a wheel might look a little funny though, wheel will stick out a ways from the tire. I have 225/40/R18 with the H&R springs and I rub maybe once or twice a day but not bad. 225 on a 9inch wheel would look really good on the h&r springs with the fenders rolled. On my wish list right now
This is exactly what I was thinking and was about to pull the trigger on rebuilding the wheels to 18x9 +13. But I was talked out of it by someone more experiences than I. Advised me to go with coilovers first, go low and see how much room I have. Maybe even try out some 25mm spacers which would be similar to replacing the 1in lips with 2in lips. If I have room then with a fender roll and some camber... probably around -3 on all 4 corners. I may go 9.5 which will allow for 2.5in lips. If I can do this with 225 series tires I'll do so. I dont want to go down to 215, not that it will look bad IMO I just rather the wider than stock contact patch. So I'll probably lower the car and adjust camber to suit the wheel/tire width.

Last edited by usdmJON; 10-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Also, really really want to sell a kidney for these wheels.

These with 24k gold windows and diamond cut faces with polished lips.

And these with gunmetal windows and diamond cut faces with polished lips.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 PM
9th Gear

Good stuff, guys! Thanks for the info! I'm dying to get started modding her

Old 10-24-2014, 07:25 PM
9th Gear

Checking out some SSR wheels right now but debating on 5 spoke or 10 spoke. What do you guys think? Or maybe some gram lights 57dr...
Old 10-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

How much do you want to spend??

My suggestion is to buy used but you need to know what to look for so you dont buy some damaged wheels.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 PM
9th Gear

Got a pretty decent settlement after I totalled the RSX so I got a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket after using the rest as down payment! Saw some nice used CE28s on clubRSX but not sure if I wanna go bronze and they were only 17s
Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Got a pretty decent settlement after I totalled the RSX so I got a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket after using the rest as down payment! Saw some nice used CE28s on clubRSX but not sure if I wanna go bronze and they were only 17s
Well I'd check out vrwheels. Look them up on Google. Best is follow their instagram. They charge 90 bucks shipping and have great deals all the time. 1000 should getake some nice wheels.
jccdc (10-25-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I posted a thread about VRwheels in our wheel/tire section. Check it out. Great stuff and that is who imported my wheels originally.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure how long I had the Nokya yellow fog lights on but the passenger side burnt out over the weekend. Pretty short life span but I expected that. Nokya sucks.

Back to the OEM h11s. Going to pick up the same style LED I have in my DRL for the fogs but in amber. Then grab the same color for the DRLs possible... not sure about the second part yet. I do love how Aaron's white ILX looks with the ambers an IG user posted his black ILX with the same front end set up as me with amber DRLs and it looked real mean. Like Rockstar's TL and I LOVE that black/amber look. Angry as hell. haha

Any suggestions on a company that sells good quality amber LEDs that are bright as fuck. Something higher quality than the ebay 80w LEDs I'd be picking up.

Also peeled the Lamin X yellow film off the headlights while I had them off the car.

Peeled off easy once I got an edge up. Left a lot of adhesive residue which came up easily enough with Goo Gone and a towel. Honestly looks cleaner now with the clear fogs. I like it.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Your car looks great!! Keep up the good work.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
Your car looks great!! Keep up the good work.
Thank you!!
I will. Going lower in the next few months.
Before that I plan on just revamping my lighting a bit.

Last edited by usdmJON; 11-14-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Any plans to add the OEM side/rear skirts? I think that would balance out the look, making it a bit less front-heavy. Looks good otherwise!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Any plans to add the OEM side/rear skirts? I think that would balance out the look, making it a bit less front-heavy. Looks good otherwise!
Agreed. I do plan on buying the sides and rear in the future but more interested in getting my stance where I want it. Some wider wheels and about an inch lower. Then I'll focus on the rest of the kit and some more performance stuff.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you have the 2.0, but hows it drive?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I enjoy it a lot.
I am coming from an LA Integra so the small 2.0 is still a larger engine than the 1.8l in the Integra and picks up much quicker.

I only daily drive my integra. But this car feels like a more luxurious version of my integra with a bunch more torque which makes for a more enjoyable drive.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 11-18-2014, 02:27 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Honestly looks cleaner now with the clear fogs.
+1 definitely flows better with the chrome accents in the headlights, grille, and windows (the yellow was a bit "distracting" IMO). Just need to retrofit the CDM (or better yet the MMC) head/tail lamps and you'll be set in terms of lighting mods
Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by silverTL6
+1 definitely flows better with the chrome accents in the headlights, grille, and windows (the yellow was a bit "distracting" IMO). Just need to retrofit the CDM (or better yet the MMC) head/tail lamps and you'll be set in terms of lighting mods
Thank you. I agree on the heads and tails. I want both from the mmc.
They are going to be very expensive though. So we'll see.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL!!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Thank you. I agree on the heads and tails. I want both from the mmc.
They are going to be very expensive though. So we'll see.
I suspect it won't be an easy retrofit given that both are LED units now, which probably means different wiring given the lower power draw (same issue 2G TSX owners have with the CDM LED tails).

The rear turn signals in particular have moved to the corners (possibly using different bulbs), and the brake lights are likely no longer dual filament since the LED strips have taken over parking light duty.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm hoping the wiring harness will be left the same since I doubt they'd want to change the end connected to the car.

I don't know a lot about electronics. Far less than I do about turning a wrench. But I was keeping my fingers crossed the housing is the same shape since it looks like the fenders hood and trunk have not been altered.

If they fit right I'd assume the wiring would be similar.

If it takes a retrofit then I won't get near trying it. lol
Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Having an odd occurrence.

Three times now I have received tire pressure warning messages.

First time was bothersome. Checked the tires with the gauge I keep in my car and found the front left was at 28, the rest above 30. I filled them all to 32 and went on my way.

I chalked that up to the very recent cold weather that has set in. Would be pretty normal.

About a week later I got another tire pressure warning. I assumed it was the same one and worried I had a slow leak. Check that tire first and pressure is above 30. I check the front right and now that was at 28. But I just refilled that one to 32 along with the others when the left side went to 28. So I topped them all to 33 this time, for some reason I couldn't get the machine at the station to hit 34 so whatever.

Last night, about another week has passed and the same thing has happened but this time the rear left was at 28 and everything else was fine and took just seconds to top off.

So I am now wondering... knock on wood... if the rear right will hit 28 within a week as the others.

So what is going on? Is this just due to the weather? Have 3 out of 4 wheels gained slow leaked coincidentally right when cold weather came in?

Edit: Since I topped them all off at 32 last night we'll see how long before a message comes up again and what tire is the culprit.

Last edited by usdmJON; 11-19-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

God damn it I can not wait to get some coilovers with a side of merlow.
An inch would have the front lip near on the ground and the wheels would look great and once they go a lil wider they will have a nice stance to them!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Aesthetic wise I agree the clear fogs look better. But, (maybe I cant prove it but) supposedly yellow actually works better in fog. I had really, really, yellow fogs on my old civic, th bulbs were yellow and the housing was yellow. My buddy was ridning shotgun in the ILX (laminX yellow overlays only) and he was like "WHOA those are really yellow", but in my head i was like "what? hell no!" when the stock ones die Ill go super yellow bulbs, don't know what brand. Got caught in REALLY bad fog before in San Diego while in random neighborhoods dating random girls... Super yellow fogs saved my ass, couldnt see shit otherwise.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also big props on being so willing to try out different looks/ aesthetic adjustments on the ILX. even tho its small stuff it kinda adds up price wise sometimes, but its kinda fun. Its like a guy version of dressing up our favorite doll LOL.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

God damn it I can not wait to get some coilovers with a side of merlow.
An inch would have the front lip near on the ground and the wheels would look great and once they go a lil wider they will have a nice stance to them!
I really like the little bits of chrome you have on your rear reflectors. I would like to do something like that on mine and was courious to what you used to do them ?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cm18cam
I really like the little bits of chrome you have on your rear reflectors. I would like to do something like that on mine and was courious to what you used to do them ?
Thank you.
I just used some adhesive chrome trim. Took the reflectors out. Just one screw each I believe. Once off it was easy to Lau the chrome trim down then cut the extra off. The reflectors are also smoked which is why they only look red when viewed head on.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Couple new additions and changes coming. Very excited. More updates coming around new year as well.

Also front driver side brake seems to have worn out. Starting to get a squeaking sound once they warm up and while reversing, but not while breaking yet so I figure this is just the early indication but I felt it was really early.

Wont be doing this myself I don't think. We'll see this weekend how I am feeling. I'm not in the need of saving money right now so I may just leave it with my buddy.

Last edited by usdmJON; 12-02-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple new additions and changes coming. Very excited. More updates coming around new year as well.

Also front driver side brake seems to have worn out. Starting to get a squeaking sound once they warm up and while reversing, but not while breaking yet so I figure this is just the early indication but I felt it was really early.

Wont be doing this myself I don't think. We'll see this weekend how I am feeling. I'm not in the need of saving money right now so I may just leave it with my buddy.
No disrespect at all, but this is a very poor mentality to have. If you can do it yourself do it yourself, think of all the other things you can buy for the ILX with that money.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Slade
No disrespect at all, but this is a very poor mentality to have. If you can do it yourself do it yourself, think of all the other things you can buy for the ILX with that money.
Well seeing as how my buddy was recently laid off by Mercedes and can use the work I am more doing him a favor since he can use the extra cash. Poor guy
xtcnrice (12-08-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Looking good Jon!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Looking good Jon!
Thank you sir!!

Coilovers are here. Plans are for this Saturday.

Also got my neckpads in by ExecutiveVIP from VIPd Out. Very comfy. Love the look. Can't wait for them to finish my matching table!! They are made to order so Im looking at a 2-3 week wait period. Enough time to find the right accouterments for it.

Quick Reply: usdmJON's 2013 ILX build