Steering Required Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Steering Required Warning Light

The Steering Required light came on twice while I was driving today. The first time I felt torque on the steering wheel like LKAS was active. I looked down and saw the Steering Required light. I didn't have LKAS on and even had the MAIN button turned off so there was no green ACC and LKAS at the time. About 30 miles later I saw the Steering Required light come on again and this time the steering wheel was vibrating. This happened in city driving on a straight stretch of road with me in the center of my lane. Not looking forward to bringing it to the dealer and hoping the problem occurs for them to see it. Has anyone else experienced the Steering Required light with LKAS and MAIN off?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
What you're experiencing is RDM (Road Departure Mitigation), not LKAS.

RDM will cause the steering wheel to vibrate as a warning if it detects that you (or the vehicle) are starting to sway out of either the left or right borders of your lane. RDM is a warning system. LKAS is an actionable system that attempts to constantly steer the car to the center lane to prevent departure from ever happening. While they work together, they are not one in the same.

You can either turn-off RDM completely using the panel button on the lower left side of the driver side dashboard, or you can go into the "Vehicle Settings" and adjust RDM to only throw a warning in the MID, but disable the steering wheel vibration part of the warning.

Last edited by holografique; 01-01-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought it was the RDM but I felt it torque the steering wheel the first time it activated. There was no vibration, just the wheel turning to the right the first time it went off. Does RDM flash the "Steering Required" light or is that just the LKAS? The manual saids the warning for RDM is the Lane Departure light so I'm still confuse. Both times I saw the Steering Required message pop up on the MID.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
That "steering required" message seems to simply pop up anytime RDM or LKAS is activated. Seems it's just a message to remind drivers to steer. It seems useless to me.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
That is their way of saying "Not my Fault"